Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
164,461 - 164,480 of 224,719 Comments Last updated 3 min ago

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Osama bin-Saban wrote:
<quoted text>What facts?
<:/
That would depend on the topic of conversation. Many on here attempt to discuss, but usually argue, about evolution, creation, afterlife....Science can give you the most probable "answer" for any of these subjects.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
As a human being, yes I would. It's parental nature to protect children. However, an omnipotent God who can create life from non-life would have no problem restoring life and/or limb, right?
That's why the analogy you're presenting doesn't compare. You and I cannot restore life to our kids if they should die. God can, and has said He will restore immortality to the entire human race if we trust Him to do so.
My understanding of the word "knowledge" as it's presented in the context of the tree in the garden of Eden doesn't mean academic knowledge. My understanding of the context is that of "being aware."
An illustration may be helpful to explain the way in which I understand it.
Suppose you exit a convenience store after purchasing gasoline for your automobile. You see 2 young men watching you as you walk to your car. You have to turn your back to them as you enter the vehicle but you still are aware of their presence. You "know" they're still there, and likely still watching you. A glance in your rear-view mirror confirms your "knowledge" of this occurrence.
This is my own personal understanding of the word "knowledge" as it relates to the "tree of knowledge" within the context of "the fall of man."
Also, as a side note, the name "Adam" in Hebrew means "man." Some theologians believe that God created an entire culture from a single "template" and named the entire human race "Adam" and also chose one man whom He named "Adam" specifically. I have to admit that I'm not certain as to the truthfulness or accuracy of this theological school of thought, nor it's origin. Like I said, if I don't know an answer, I'll tell you I don't. I hope my answers have given you some insight into different thoughts and interpretations. Have a great evening!
There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that those omnipotent God can in fact restore life. We certainly DO know that he is unable to restore limbs as there has NEVER been an instance where he has done such.

No, we as humans cannot restore life. Are we not Gods Children? Is he NOT our father? or are both just loosely based sayings? If you as a parent DID have the ability to restore the life of your child, but still saw him suffering greatly, would you change the course of events so he would NOT suffer? The point being, If God is analogous to being a parent, would you NOT do anything in your power to keep your child from not only death but extreme suffering? Even if you had the ability to restore his life, would you not do anything in your power to eliminate his suffering? I know that I would personally throw myself in front of a bus if doing so would save my child from death or from suffering. Does that make me a better parent than God? More compassionate, more caring?

People make up all sorts of beliefs, but one should be extremely skeptical when things are made up with absolutely no supportive evidence.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
That would depend on the topic of conversation. Many on here attempt to discuss, but usually argue, about evolution, creation, afterlife....Science can give you the most probable "answer" for any of these subjects.
science is wrong a bunch

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>science is wrong a bunch
I disagree...Science does a great deal of things in this world, and has answered many questions to the best of our knowledge at this point in time. We have so much more to learn and science makes new discoveries and asks more questions every day :)
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

T-Town Clown wrote:
"The really great thing about science is thats it's TRUE whether or not you believe it."

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

T-Town Clown wrote:
You enjoy the Internet, though.

Beats sending scrolls by camel caravan like in the Bible.

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree...Science does a great deal of things in this world, and has answered many questions to the best of our knowledge at this point in time. We have so much more to learn and science makes new discoveries and asks more questions every day :)
The Bronze Age is over ?

Shhhhh!

You will upset the Christians. <smile>

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

T-Town Clown wrote:
Says the clown that believes jesus rode on the backs of dinosaurs and that fossil "aren't really there"

That's your actual beliefs!!! Mental illness...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bronze Age is over ?
Shhhhh!
You will upset the Christians. <smile>
hehehe...It is quite easy sometimes to get them all upset.

“The King of R&R”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>what does the bible say for you to do?
On what page do I look?

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Redoran wrote:
<quoted text>
On what page do I look?
Deuteronomy 21:18-21

Kill your children if the misbehave:

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear."

Such a loving deity!
Thinking

Todmorden, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

You're obsessed by gay sex, you necrophiliac sisterfucker
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>I know you love blowing men

“Putten the SIN ”

Since: Nov 08

back in Wisconsin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I know exactly why.
The clueless and nuts express themselves the best they know how.
Yup you suuuuuure do lol. wait you dont. wait...ok Im getting confused...

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
So if you can identify good actions from bad actions, then it is possible to identify true Christians from those who falsely claim to be Christian. The fact that you are making a conscious choice as to what constitutes a true Christian or false Christian shows that you're being deliberately dishonest to excuse your stereotyping. Since I am in fact calling your attention to that, it's understandable that you resent it and wish to place me in that category. Having said that, do you feel it's fair that I call your attention to your biased thinking?
This is where you are getting confused, you are making the assumption that only a good christian is a christian.

This, as has been shown to you by several different posters, is a fallacy. The majority of christians are no different from Mr average of anywhereville. The remainder have either good or bad tendencies. But the fact remains that no matter how they consider their faith they ALL assume that they are christian and so will be welcome in the christain version of heaven when they kick the bucket. It is NOT up to you to decide a persons faith.

The IRA, who partially blinded me and so messily removed the arm of my aunt,(and incidentally indiscriminately killed children in Warrington) to a man attend church on Sunday morning, they consider themselves good christian and they did what they did for there christian beliefs. That is up to their conscience, it is not up to you (or me) to choose what faith they follow.

There is me, who on paper has very good reason to hate christianity, particularly violent christians, yet I simply accepts that such violence is taught in the babble and is par for the course for christianity. Then there is you who as a good christian is denying a person their faith based on nothing but your personal view of your own interoperation of that faith, that is not only ignorant but it is (and I am loath to use the word) evil.

There is nothing deliberately dishonest in stating fact, the dishonesty here is the deliberate ignorance that manifests itself in people like you who are unwilling to accept fact that the babble teaches a person to be violent. You want chapter and verse then please ask because I know them all.

My thinking may be tinged with bias, that gives it objectivity, which I consider somewhat more fruitful then a thinking indoctrinated with deliberate ignorance.

No, you are confused again, and so deliberately ignorant that you are unable to see your own stupidity. What I resent is deliberately ignorant and pious “I am better than everyone else so I will go to heaven” godbods who have no fooking clue what is actually written in the babble which incidentally is the whole bases of their religion.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>if you want to see the front let men know! ya hear?
Yes, go get you dick out in public too then we can all have a laugh

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Osama bin-Saban wrote:
<quoted text>She wants you, Clown!!!
<:D
The clowns lies to himself. It’s the only way he can get any compassion.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I know exactly why.
The clueless and nuts express themselves the best they know how.
<quoted text>
I would like to believe you caught my witticism in that post, but I may be wrong in doing so.
I did, just throwing it back at you.

hahaa

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

I_see_you wrote:
lol
hahaaa

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
You enjoy the Internet, though.
Beats sending scrolls by camel caravan like in the Bible.
<700 BCE'r> "What did he say?"

<another 700 BCE'r> " He said,*Bite me, Jacob* "

<700 BCE'r> "That's it, prepare another camel, and send this,*LOL* "

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
This is where you are getting confused, you are making the assumption that only a good christian is a christian.
This, as has been shown to you by several different posters, is a fallacy. The majority of christians are no different from Mr average of anywhereville. The remainder have either good or bad tendencies. But the fact remains that no matter how they consider their faith they ALL assume that they are christian and so will be welcome in the christain version of heaven when they kick the bucket.
The IRA, who partially blinded me and so messily removed the arm of my aunt,(and incidentally indiscriminately killed children in Warrington) to a man attend church on Sunday morning, they consider themselves good christian and they did what they did for there christian beliefs.

There is me, who on paper has very good reason to hate christianity, particularly violent christians, yet I simply accepts that such violence is taught in the babble and is par for the course for christianity.

There is nothing deliberately dishonest in stating fact, the dishonesty here is the deliberate ignorance that manifests itself in people like you who are unwilling to accept fact that the babble teaches a person to be violent. You want chapter and verse then please ask because I know them all.
My thinking may be tinged with bias, that gives it objectivity, which I consider somewhat more fruitful then a thinking indoctrinated with deliberate ignorance.
I think you misunderstand me. I am saying that people who call themselves Christians and still commit such acts are either pretenders, or are terribly confused about what they're supposed to be doing and not doing as Christians.

I do not consider the IRA (or any other terrorist organization such as the kkk) to speak for, or define the actions and beliefs of Christianity. Any person or group who develops an understanding that violence towards others as a means of achieving a goal is okay, is terribly deluded, and even more deluded if they believe Christ would endorse it. They may try to justify it with biblical chapter and verse as you point out, and they may actually believe it, but in truth, they are engaging in "proof-texting" which means they're twisting and interpreting it to fit their goals or concepts rather than understanding it within it's historical, theological, and literary context as the author presented it.

The end result is that people who have been victims of such atrocities (such as yourself and your family members) feel a need to lash out at what you believe is the root cause. In this case, it's the IRA with their warped and twisted understanding of scripture that they use to falsely justify such acts. The irony of it,(and this is not intended to be disrespectful at all) is that you have become angry (understandably) and have started to interpret the same passages in the same way they did. You correctly see the evil of their actions and yet incorrectly not the evil of their twisting scripture to fit their political goals.

So when a person who does recognize the evil of terrorist or criminal misinterpretation of scripture comes along and points out that such persons (or groups) have falsely misidentified themselves as Christians, you seem to interpret this as somehow excusing their actions, or damage control for the sake of public image. Nothing could be further from the truth. The purpose here is to say they misapplied biblical teaching to fit their goals and justify their actions.

Finally, as a person of American Irish descent (my great-great-grandparents came over from County Cook) I am deeply troubled that
people have been needlessly hurt over such a skewed and twisted interpretation. I still have distant family in Ireland and that they might be involved, whether as victims or as perpetrators, is deeply troubling.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 5 min Carchar king 35
Our world came from nothing? 17 min Carchar king 269
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 34 min Buck Crick 861
Introducing The Universal Religion 10 hr Buck Crick 739
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 12 hr CunningLinguist 1,288
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 13 hr Patrick 21,412
Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 14 hr John 70,967
•••
•••