Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258039 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#171426 Jul 9, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Explain where god came from.
I will as soon as you explain where time came from.

Location hidden

#171427 Jul 9, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>What "sin" did Cro-Magnon or Neanderthal man commit?

Who prepared an ark for the dinosaurs?

These existed!
we have proof of dinosaurs, Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal... where's yours? Do you have a skeleton handy?
Sorry you are incorrect as usual.
Miscarriages.
Cot death.
Childhood leukaemia.
All the results of mans freedom of choice. Not God. God gave us a perfect world and perfect body's and there was no sickness or death until man sinned.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#171428 Jul 9, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't believe science when it claims that the universe started 13.7 billion years ago?
The current expansion phase started 13.7 billion years ago. Whether the universe (in the sense of all that exists) began 13.7 billion years ago is still not determined. Generally, those scientists who discuss existence before the BB talk about multiverses.

However, even those that assert that the universe (in the sense of all that exists) started 13.7 billion years ago also say that time started at the same point. So, there was not a 'before the BB' in that case. and the universe is uncaused.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#171429 Jul 9, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did Time come from?
This is not a religious question.
This is not a lack of faith question.
This is a science question pertaining to your 3 myths.
Your 3 BIG Myths:
1) the Big Bang when nothing exploded
and created everything.
2) rain falling on rocks and settling in a mud puddle and spontaneous self generating life sprang forth.
3) plants evolving into plant eating animals.
And when I snap my fingers you will wake up and believe these 3 myths as if they were fact.
"SNAP"
Why do you keep lying? Nobody believes those three myths in the form you stated them. In particular, the third is flat-out wrong no matter how it is interpreted. I have pointed this out to you before and you keep posting this same thing, so you are now being dishonest.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#171430 Jul 9, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
I will as soon as you explain where time came from.
It didn't 'come from' anywhere. It is uncaused.

Location hidden

#171431 Jul 9, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>The current expansion phase started 13.7 billion years ago. Whether the universe (in the sense of all that exists) began 13.7 billion years ago is still not determined. Generally, those scientists who discuss existence before the BB talk about multiverses.

However, even those that assert that the universe (in the sense of all that exists) started 13.7 billion years ago also say that time started at the same point. So, there was not a 'before the BB' in that case. and the universe is uncaused.
Time can be measured we use today tomorrow and yesterday when talking about time. Therefore it's a measuring stick also. A year, a day, a minute. There is a before and an after. No law says you cannot use a scientific measuring stick on time itself. Therefore what was there BEFORE time?

Where did time come from?

What was there when there was no Time?

Dance Poly, Dance.

“Jon Snow”

Since: Dec 10

The King in the Nor±h

#171432 Jul 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Who and where did the myth originate? Who started the whole thing?
The transition from human sacrifice to a more evolved sense of humanity.

Location hidden

#171433 Jul 9, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you keep lying? Nobody believes those three myths in the form you stated them. In particular, the third is flat-out wrong no matter how it is interpreted. I have pointed this out to you before and you keep posting this same thing, so you are now being dishonest.
You do...... You just don't like them explained in there simplest form.
You hide behind long drawn out babble.

“Jon Snow”

The King in the Nor±h

#171434 Jul 9, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope the past is part of time.
Yes indeed , but now I can tell you where it is going, To the future!

Location hidden

#171435 Jul 9, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>It didn't 'come from' anywhere. It is uncaused.
Is there time?

Was there always time?
If time was always, then so matter and energy could have always existed and of course that would mean science is wrong on the date of the universe. So is science wrong? or did time come from nothing?

“Jon Snow”

The King in the Nor±h

#171436 Jul 9, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you keep lying? Nobody believes those three myths in the form you stated them. In particular, the third is flat-out wrong no matter how it is interpreted. I have pointed this out to you before and you keep posting this same thing, so you are now being dishonest.
Because he is an evil denier of truth.

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#171437 Jul 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Three decades later and people couldn't just make something up? Are you insane? So a Christian mentions Paul's supposed words? Yawn, was this supposed to mean something?
Secular proof Paul and more importantly Jesus existed. Letters written by believers decades after the guy died who merely mentions what he might have said doesn't count.
<quoted text>
Why don't they count? This should be good. I can't wait.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#171438 Jul 9, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there time?
yes.
Was there always time?
This is an ambiguous question.
If time was always, then so matter and energy could have always existed and of course that would mean science is wrong on the date of the universe. So is science wrong? or did time come from nothing?
Once again, you failed to read what I wrote. Science says that the current expansion phase began about 13.7 billion years ago. Whether the 'universe' began at that point is as yet undecided.

*If* the universe started at the BB, then time did also.

And, once again, time did not 'come from' anything. To 'come from' requires time.

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#171439 Jul 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Three decades later and people couldn't just make something up? Are you insane? So a Christian mentions Paul's supposed words? Yawn, was this supposed to mean something?
Secular proof Paul and more importantly Jesus existed. Letters written by believers decades after the guy died who merely mentions what he might have said doesn't count.
<quoted text>
They became believers because of what they witnessed, and because they wanted to preserve it, they wrote it down. First century Israeli culture was an orally dominated culture. Historical event was memorized and passed on within specific communities and groups. Look it up. Not only that, they were what is known as a "high context culture." Many things were left unsaid (or unwritten) because the assumption of the culture was that if you were a part of that culture, you knew what everybody else in that culture knew. It didn't have to be defined or discussed in detail.

If you're trying to imply that their bias fed into their beliefs, then you would be partially correct, but not in the way that you as a skeptic might think. The bias of the early Christians (the apostles specifically) existed because of what they witnessed with their own eyes, and grew in proportion to their faith. Your implication that believers words don't count because they're believers also fails in another way.

This history mattered to them because they saw it as sacred and holy. It wasn't a matter of discussing why their camel or donkey was getting old. This was a big deal to them, so of course they had bias. Would you expect a passionate sound engineer to write a 50 page doctoral thesis on the subject of Victorian era plumbing and sanitation? You have bias, I have bias, everybody has bias. Your unstated (yet implied) charge isn't a logical argument.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#171440 Jul 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yes another mystery cult revolving around a messianic son of god formed.
And?
<quoted text>
You dodged the Socrates question.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#171441 Jul 9, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
yes.
<quoted text>
This is an ambiguous question.
<quoted text>
Once again, you failed to read what I wrote. Science says that the current expansion phase began about 13.7 billion years ago. Whether the 'universe' began at that point is as yet undecided.
*If* the universe started at the BB, then time did also.
And, once again, time did not 'come from' anything. To 'come from' requires time.
Where does this 10^34 come from?

Your professing of what science says keeps evolving. Keeps wandering off in a different direction.

Time started when something was set into motion so you could mark it.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#171442 Jul 9, 2013
Show links that atheists believe these things as described.... Any year now.
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>Where did Time come from?
This is not a religious question.
This is not a lack of faith question.
This is a science question pertaining to your 3 myths.

Your 3 BIG Myths:

1) the Big Bang when nothing exploded
and created everything.

2) rain falling on rocks and settling in a mud puddle and spontaneous self generating life sprang forth.

3) plants evolving into plant eating animals.

And when I snap my fingers you will wake up and believe these 3 myths as if they were fact.

"SNAP"

Henderson, KY

#171443 Jul 9, 2013
Decades after the event and merely quoting what others in your religion happen to be saying for starters.

So would you accept a letter written by a Hellenistic worshipper that Perseus existed because he wrote something Perseus was supposed to have said as proof that the son of god Perseus really existed?
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>Why don't they count? This should be good. I can't wait.

Henderson, KY

#171444 Jul 9, 2013
No I answered it in detail, go look.

Waiting for this historical proof that Jesus existed old man. Stop cowering from my question or just admit you are unable to provide said proof.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>You dodged the Socrates question.

Henderson, KY

#171445 Jul 9, 2013
Yet not a word was written about him for decades? And the story of his life kept changing even centuries later?

Again it seems a man rising from the dead and walking into Jerusalem with hundreds of risen from the grave famous Jews would have gotten some attention right?

Christianity started like all mystery cults at the time. It even follows the formula down to the letter. What's even funnier is all the errors in the NT myth when it tries to refer to the Torah! Hahaha!

This shows the NT writers were poorly educated on Jewish writings and history. Humiliatingly bad in fact.

Again we have secular proof for Jesus Ben Strada the Egyptian magician who was caught and executed but not a shred for this so called Jesus of Nazareth who raised the dead! The Egyptian magic man with his slight of hand tactics garners more secular notice than your precious Jesus who receives none whatsoever. Fact.

And the gospels don't match up.
And the letters of so called Paul come before the gospels when they should come way after.
And not even Jesus' own followers didn't bother to write about him.

You'd think one of the multitudes of people he supposedly healed or raised from the dead would have chipped in for a statue or scroll or something...
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>They became believers because of what they witnessed, and because they wanted to preserve it, they wrote it down. First century Israeli culture was an orally dominated culture. Historical event was memorized and passed on within specific communities and groups. Look it up. Not only that, they were what is known as a "high context culture." Many things were left unsaid (or unwritten) because the assumption of the culture was that if you were a part of that culture, you knew what everybody else in that culture knew. It didn't have to be defined or discussed in detail.

If you're trying to imply that their bias fed into their beliefs, then you would be partially correct, but not in the way that you as a skeptic might think. The bias of the early Christians (the apostles specifically) existed because of what they witnessed with their own eyes, and grew in proportion to their faith. Your implication that believers words don't count because they're believers also fails in another way.

This history mattered to them because they saw it as sacred and holy. It wasn't a matter of discussing why their camel or donkey was getting old. This was a big deal to them, so of course they had bias. Would you expect a passionate sound engineer to write a 50 page doctoral thesis on the subject of Victorian era plumbing and sanitation? You have bias, I have bias, everybody has bias. Your unstated (yet implied) charge isn't a logical argument.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 17 min Brian_G 48,443
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 3 hr JustASkeptic 2
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 18 hr Cuddles7668 21,864
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 18 hr ChristineM 23,486
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 19 hr Eagle 12 4,907
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Fri Scaritual 14
Jesus Christ and Wisdom, Knowledge, Understandi... Nov 29 Richardfs 5
More from around the web