Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247450 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#170871 Jul 4, 2013
Osama bin-Saban wrote:
<quoted text>> Atheism, agnostics, humanism, non-indoctrinated humans aka "Organized aimless wandering in the wilderness" does not unite those people. Instead it drives them closer to oblivion!
>:/
Your opinions about other people's reality will matter after you've successfully proved your personal hallucination / cult.
LCN Llin

United States

#170872 Jul 4, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinions about other people's reality will matter after you've successfully proved your personal hallucination / cult.
Do you bite your nails? Chew on pencils? Forget to the check the subject and verb on atempting to post questions? All of these are bad habits, but only one will affect your Posts. Intellectually challenged posters tend to make the same grammar mistakes over and over again; learn to recognize—and avoid—these common traps and pitfalls.
Thinking

York, UK

#170873 Jul 4, 2013
Who cares?
You are a necrophiliac sisterfucker.
T-Town Clown wrote:
Bro. Clownie is off to do battle in a world where sissy atheist are called girly men... Only real men can post!!!! Blood sweat & tears and no queers
Bro. Clownie
LCN Llin

United States

#170874 Jul 4, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Who cares?
You are a necrophiliac sisterfucker.
<quoted text>
Happy 4th of July
Thinking

York, UK

#170875 Jul 4, 2013
The UK couldn't sustain your $17tn debt. You, and your corporates, have been evading taxes for far too long.

Every year, my ex USAF Major friend hosts a great independence day party. The weather looks great for this Saturday. I'm on vintner and ice making duty. Happy days.
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy 4th of July
LCN Llin

United States

#170876 Jul 4, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The UK couldn't sustain your $17tn debt. You, and your corporates, have been evading taxes for far too long.
Every year, my ex USAF Major friend hosts a great independence day party. The weather looks great for this Saturday. I'm on vintner and ice making duty. Happy days.
<quoted text>
Enjoy

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#170877 Jul 4, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>

Columbia takes notice , but will not fail.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#170878 Jul 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Machines and biological processes follow the same physical laws. Just different in how they are configured to transfer energy.
You seem to think organic life is removed from those laws. Odd for an evolutionist to think that.
No they don't they abide by different sets of laws, one abides by mechanical and mineral laws, the other by biological laws.

Since: Jun 13

Milwaukee, WI

#170879 Jul 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
One more Topix atheist "I'm not really an intellectual, but I play one on Topix, can't you see by my avatar" appears on the scene.
first my avatar is an inspiration not only to me but to the human race for all his contributions to the field of physics (yes even to the godbots that dont quite live in the real world)

second i have never claimed nor do i curently claim to be any kind of intellectual.

third your still eluding the fact that you have absolutly no proof that god exsist.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#170880 Jul 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, I try to look the part.
Beats the hell out of your grandmothers pic.

Not that she wasn't a looker in her time.

Weren't we all?

Some things are better left framed on the wall.

Milwaukee, WI

#170881 Jul 4, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
Bro. Clownie is off to do battle in a world where sissy atheist are called girly men... Only real men can post!!!! Blood sweat & tears and no queers
Bro. Clownie
they really have to do something about the trolls on here

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#170882 Jul 4, 2013
ignorance is bliss86 wrote:
<quoted text>
All faiths manufacture religious trolls. Its intentional & a necessary part of the cult. Otherwise how would they keep up with all the people leaving?

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#170883 Jul 5, 2013
ignorance is bliss86 wrote:
<quoted text>

I have a net and a cage you can borrow?

Milwaukee, WI

#170884 Jul 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
lol i may take you up on that and then they can be as mentaly incapacitated individuals

Milwaukee, WI

#170885 Jul 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
lol i may take you up on that and then they can be studied for the mentaly incapacitated individuals that they are
Favorite Adversary

Brooklyn, NY

#170886 Jul 5, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Your analogy is sound however, as both Adam and Eve were basically children with no growing up experiences to govern their actions. Hence no concept of right or wrong. Now if God had instilled into them the concepts of Good and Evil, right and wrong, then we would have a totally different situation, with Eve willfully disobeying a command, and knowing it was in fact WRONG. But the bible gives no information about their age or what they did of didn't know.
Hello blacklagoon- How was your July 4th? I hope it was a good one for you and your family. Now in reply to your post regarding free will:

This is exactly my point. God did tell them not to, for they would surely die. By doing so, God was telling them that it was wrong to eat the forbidden fruit (which I believe is a metaphor) and He also told them what the consequence would be. Once somebody is told what to do or not to do, along with the consequence for disobedience, then it follows logically that this is an instruction in the difference between right and wrong. They were told "why" it was wrong. So hence, they knew. What their actions unleashed was the concept of guilt; of knowing intimately deep and profound regret.

Now with regard to God's omniscience and free will, I understand it to mean that God intimately knows how we will behave on our own because of His experience and infinite knowledge, yet He allows us to choose our own path.

This is how I understand the theological concept of the fall of mankind. If you disagree, that's okay. At least we're talking about it in a civil and intelligent manner.

Favorite Adversary

Brooklyn, NY

#170887 Jul 5, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don't believe there are different levels of skepticism. You are either skeptical or not. All skepticism is healthy. And of course we must be overly critical, that is exactly how we discover the truth. Do we adopt the attitude of, "well maybe you're right, I haven't looked into it that deeply." or do we adopt the attitude of "You may well be right, but I plan to turn over every leaf in order to arrive, the very best I can, at the truth."
I get what you're saying. There is a kernel of truth to looking at evidence for and against any proposed truth with a very critical eye. However, there is such a thing as "hyper-skepticism" in which a person is unreasonably skeptical. There comes a point when the truth is so obvious that it's inconceivable how somebody may miss it or not regard it as truth. Such a person is being "hyper-skeptical" and this is usually a sign of emotional reaction rather than rational understanding.

There's a scene in the movie Bruce Almighty where Jim Carrey is driving his car behind a truck and he is praying "God just give me a sign", and the truck he's following is loaded with road signs of warnings. How often is this parody played out in our own lives? Where we're looking so hard for some sort of confirmation or truth, that we miss the forest for the trees.

I have an interesting question for you.

Do you think you could be a good juror?

Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#170888 Jul 5, 2013
Osama bin-Saban wrote:
<quoted text>> Atheism, agnostics, humanism, non-indoctrinated humans aka "Organized aimless wandering in the wilderness" does not unite those people. Instead it drives them closer to oblivion!
>:/
You are correct - you are wandering in the wilderness of ignorance!

You refuse to examine history, fact, reason
,commonsense and Rudimentary logic.

Instead you prefer others to tell you how to think and what to do.

How does mental slavery and. Subservience feel 21st century?

Are you proud your mind is so weak?

Do you need a sky daddy to get you through the day?

You people are pathetic.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#170889 Jul 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Machines and biological processes follow the same physical laws. Just different in how they are configured to transfer energy.
You seem to think organic life is removed from those laws. Odd for an evolutionist to think that.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No they don't they abide by different sets of laws, one abides by mechanical and mineral laws, the other by biological laws.
I read that last night about 20 minutes after you posted it.

Let's say I was too stunned by it to post then.

KK, everything physical follows the laws of physics in this physical world.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#170890 Jul 5, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Beats the hell out of your grandmothers pic.
Not that she wasn't a looker in her time.
Weren't we all?
Some things are better left framed on the wall.
That was the real me, little one. In a stiff cold breeze and in a serious need of a haircut. Which is a condition I am in again now. I have to drive 20 miles to get a haircut.

None of the women in my family were "lookers". They had brains, but not the looks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr emperorjohn 12,708
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 4 hr woodtick57 47,808
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 6 hr Eagle 12 22
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 6 hr Eagle 12 8
Proof of God for the Atheist 9 hr Shizle 126
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 14 hr ChristineM 2,353
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 17 hr thetruth 14,715
More from around the web