Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 257121 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#170905 Jul 5, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>When mentally ill Theists reject factual information it an "observation" on my part. Anyone who rejects factual information has every right to be judged. The worst human trait is being willfully ignorant. Anyone falling into this category opens themselves up to being judged by others and yes, scorned. And when done for the reasons of delusional beliefs, it becomes an even worse trait. I certainly do NOT enjoy seeing others so brainwashed that they reject factual information, or promote their delusions as real. I think it's a severe mental illness and they should be pitied.
How do you explain the fact your ego is bigger than the whole damned universe?

Pull your head out of your ass and you will see more.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#170906 Jul 5, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
If you choose not to follow my instructions, then you will have to suffer the consequences of choosing your own way,(with your limited knowledge and power) and you won't be able to enjoy immortality with me in the same way you do now."
And God didn't lie. He never said that He would kill them. He said they would die. When God removed them from His presence, they lost the life permitting attributes and properties, and became mortal.
Now onto your next analogy.
If God can create life from nothing, then shouldn't He be powerful enough to restore immortality? There's the difference. If our kids should ever be in a life ending situation (I hope never) you and I are powerless to resurrect them or provide eternal consciousness to them. If God can, then He has an ability that we do not. We protect our kids because we don't have that power.
I believe in both creation and evolution. They are compatible. Maybe not in six days according to our understanding of space and time, but I do believe God started the process.
No, Adam and Eve were not immortal in the beginning. Gen3:22 And the Lord, God said, Behold the man is become as one o us, to know good and evil{ and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: 23 Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. 23 So he drove out the man, and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden, Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, the keep the way of the tree of life.

Does that sound like they were meant to live forever? Doesn`t sound like it to me.

I also use the anology of my little dogs, who don`t know they are naked. If I were to leave a plate of steaks in the middle of the floor and told them not to touch it, how long would I expect the steaks to remain in the plate? And if I returned to find the steaks gone why would I not only punish my dogs, but every dog ever born, forever and ever? It makes no sense. And like Judge Judy likes to say, "If it doesn`t make sense, it isn`t true"

The Bible to me is a book that starts with a fairy tale, and ends with a nightmare, so it is all fiction.
Favorite Adversary

Brooklyn, NY

#170907 Jul 5, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry about that last link looks like it's missing a character or two!
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch...
Tacitus?
Like those of the Jewish writer Josephus, the works of the ancient historians Pliny, Suetonius and Tacitus do not provide proof that Jesus Christ ever existed as a "historical" character.
Pliny the Younger, Roman Official and Historian (62-113 CE)
Tacitus, Roman Politician and Historian,(c. 56-120 CE)
Suetonius, Roman Historian (c. 69-c. 122 CE)
When addressing the mythical nature of Jesus Christ, one issue repeatedly raised is the purported "evidence" of his existence to be found in the writings of Flavius Josephus, the famed Jewish general and historian who lived from about 37 to 100 CE.
In Josephus's Antiquities of the Jews appears the notorious passage regarding Christ called the "Testimonium Flavianum" ("TF"):
"Now, there was about this time, Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man, for he was a doer of wonderful works,--a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews, and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ; and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him, for he appeared to them alive again the third day, as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him; and the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day."
The are: No sculptures, no drawings, no markings in stone, nothing written in his own hand; and no letters, no commentaries, indeed no authentic documents written by his Jewish and Gentile contemporaries, Justice of Tiberius, Philo, Josephus, Seneca, Petronius Arbiter, Pliny the Elder, et al., to lend credence to his historicity."
In the final analysis there is no evidence that the biblical character called "Jesus Christ" ever existed.
All of these historians were born well after the alleged events.
'Hearsay' is not 'evidence' for a reason!
Caesar by comparison is easily verified.
Hearsay only applies in criminal court cases. It's totally acceptable in determining history, within reason. If you think about it, all of history is "hearsay".

Which Caesar are you referring to? Julius? Augustus? Tiberius?

I'm always amused when a skeptic brings up the TF by Josephus because they question the obvious interpolation by a later Christian writer as if this somehow negates the entire passage. When examined in it's proper context, one can see the original writing, and the interpolation, and realize that a later Christian scribe was correcting what he believed to be an incomplete account. What possible other motive could there be? I don't know. Maybe the Christian scribe was thinking 1900 years ahead:

"I better finish this incomplete record, because 1900 years from now there will be this thing called the internet and it will feature a forum called topix, and I will have to convert the pagans and the atheists whom electronically assemble there."

Did you know that all this week, history buffs are reenacting the Battle of Gettysburg in Pennsylvania?

Did you know the battle took place 150 years ago?

Or is that "hearsay?" ;)
Imhotep

United States

#170908 Jul 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Such an intellect and freethinker you.
I bet you believe everything governments tell you. Everything a trade association, political party, infomercial, or anything someone with some letters after their name tells you as "the truth". This includes certain sections of "science". Those are all groups of men just like religions.
Hey, pea brain. What is the first rule of evolution?
Survival.
How are one's "beliefs" determined?
By how they make their money.
Fortunately for some there are disillusioned and disaffected young and simple minds like yours ready to be exploited. And they are.
You will find they all have their axes to grind, and you will be providing their suppers.
You have given no real thought to an afterlife or a deity or any such thought. You are in a reactive state from disillusionment and being led by your ears.
Sucker.
Sorry Davy but you are the sucker!

Every time you give to organize superstition is another dime lost forever dummy!

And considering all the different religions that exist in the world all based on nothing more than superstition your money is as wasted as your intellect.

Another Christian fool on a fool's errand

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#170909 Jul 5, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Every time you give to organize superstition is another dime lost forever dummy!
And considering all the different religions that exist in the world all based on nothing more than superstition your money is as wasted as your intellect.
The bible calls you a fool... Psalm 14-1
Imhotep

United States

#170910 Jul 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Hearsay only applies in criminal court cases. It's totally acceptable in determining history, within reason. If you think about it, all of history is "hearsay".
Which Caesar are you referring to? Julius? Augustus? Tiberius?
I'm always amused when a skeptic brings up the TF by Josephus because they question the obvious interpolation by a later Christian writer as if this somehow negates the entire passage. When examined in it's proper context, one can see the original writing, and the interpolation, and realize that a later Christian scribe was correcting what he believed to be an incomplete account. What possible other motive could there be? I don't know. Maybe the Christian scribe was thinking 1900 years ahead:
"I better finish this incomplete record, because 1900 years from now there will be this thing called the internet and it will feature a forum called topix, and I will have to convert the pagans and the atheists whom electronically assemble there."
Did you know that all this week, history buffs are reenacting the Battle of Gettysburg in Pennsylvania?
Did you know the battle took place 150 years ago?
Or is that "hearsay?" ;)
I complement you on a refreshing lucid argument!

I agree with your point on hearsay it was just a statement.

As for the Roman emperors you mentioned they all existed. Roman history this.

Like the extensive Roman history of Mithras.
Once again recorded in stone.

Gettysburg is as irrelevant as Waterloo.

My position I think I stated clearly is rather simple I would like to see some evidence that refutes what I found over years of research.

I'm not an atheist nor my agnostic I've never had any religion whatever I find it a curiosity item only.

Curious because I fail to see why people kill one another over it.

Why science is candidly ignored in favor of fantasy.

What do you think?
Imhotep

United States

#170911 Jul 5, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>The bible calls you a fool... Psalm 14-1
This is good advice Clownie

Matthew 6:6

And when you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.

Truly I say to you, They have their reward. But you, when you pray, enter into your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father which is in secret; and your Father which sees in secret shall reward you openly.

But when you pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Any particular reason none of you follow it?
LMAO

Something you might of missed from Psalms

" Happy the one who takes and dashes
Your little ones against the rock! "
-- Psalm 137.9.

You do follow this though...

Making "every thought captive DOLP

"For the weapons of our warfare are casting down imaginations ... and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."
– St Paul, 2 Corinthians 10.4,5.

Westcliffe, CO

#170912 Jul 5, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing.

The closest I come to being a "Christian" is a an ethnic Christian, just like you.

I will guarantee you that you have been in a church worshiping since the last time I was.

See, that is part of the disease you have. You foam at the mouth if others don't exhibit the same rabidity at religion as you.

Dave is an old technician with a fairly broad base working in different applied scientists. Old Dave sees a pattern that old Dave is a part of, as are you. I don't see my Creator as a skydaddy or even a totally separate entity. That is for simple minds like yours to use as a reference point. I look at creation and whoever created it from a technological point of view, not as one indoctrinated like you. It was how I was trained to think.

You are way too reactive and emotional about this subject to be objective and rational. Like I said, just another disillusioned dummy that got roped into a cult. Yes, atheism is a cult.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#170913 Jul 5, 2013
<quoted text>Would you like an explanation of that passage? Your understanding of it is a very simple mistake.

Jesus was saying that His sacrifice was God's redemptive plan. Our willingness to accept the gift of grace is how we get to God. It's not like you're picturing it. Like walking up to a cosmic receptionist and saying "Let me see the boss." It's not that at all.
Oh.

Westcliffe, CO

#170914 Jul 5, 2013
" : formal religious veneration : worship
: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
b : the object of such devotion
c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cul...

Definition 3 Secular humanism as a substitute. An almost universal proclamation of Topix atheists.

Definition 4 Cleansing the world of religiopus dogma and the evil it brings. An almost universal proclamation of Topix atheists.

Definition 5 Hitchens, Dawkins, and other venerated prosyletizers of the cult. Their words are often invoked by their worshipers om here. Atheists are a small minority.
xianity is EVIL

Mississauga, Canada

#170915 Jul 5, 2013
<quoted text>

Now with regard to God's omniscience and free will, I understand it to mean that God intimately knows how we will behave on our own because of His experience and infinite knowledge, yet He allows us to choose our own path.
If god created ALL he created Your FUTURE

with Omni god youd have NO free will,,
Imhotep

United States

#170916 Jul 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing.
The closest I come to being a "Christian" is a an ethnic Christian, just like you.
I will guarantee you that you have been in a church worshiping since the last time I was.
See, that is part of the disease you have. You foam at the mouth if others don't exhibit the same rabidity at religion as you.
Dave is an old technician with a fairly broad base working in different applied scientists. Old Dave sees a pattern that old Dave is a part of, as are you. I don't see my Creator as a skydaddy or even a totally separate entity. That is for simple minds like yours to use as a reference point. I look at creation and whoever created it from a technological point of view, not as one indoctrinated like you. It was how I was trained to think.
You are way too reactive and emotional about this subject to be objective and rational. Like I said, just another disillusioned dummy that got roped into a cult. Yes, atheism is a cult.
LOL! The closest I've ever been to any religious building is watching it on TV. Or viewing ruins in Europe and elsewhere.

Yeah can't beat the church in Barcelona Spain stunning.

I think I've stated clearly that I've never had any religion! what don't you understand about this?

If I must label myself it would be a secular humanist.

I realize this is hard to understand if you were brought up into any cult.

My respect for the desert religions went up in the smoke and choking dust of September

I watched the 'Day of Prayer' in Washington Cathedral, where people of mutually incompatible faiths united in homage to the very force that caused the problem in the first place: RELIGION.

I think it is time for people of intellect, as opposed to people of faith, to stand up and declare to respect people for what they individually think, rather than respect groups for what they were collectively brought up to believe.

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind." - Gandhi.
xianity is EVIL

Mississauga, Canada

#170917 Jul 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
" : formal religious veneration : worship
: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
b : the object of such devotion
c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion"
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cul...
Definition 3 Secular humanism as a substitute. An almost universal proclamation of Topix atheists.
Definition 4 Cleansing the world of religiopus dogma and the evil it brings. An almost universal proclamation of Topix atheists.
Definition 5 Hitchens, Dawkins, and other venerated prosyletizers of the cult. Their words are often invoked by their worshipers om here. Atheists are a small minority.
stil CRAZY eh Daveyboy!

could you name one atheist that WORSHIPS Dawkins,
didnt think so

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#170919 Jul 5, 2013
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>What experiences have shown you that God was there the whole time?
There were 3 issues in my life that have been affecting me for the past 5 years, which all came to a head in the past 3 months. A message from the bible related to these 3 issues was randomly delivered to me by a stranger. Shortly after a couple of other things happened which presented a resolution to the issues.

The last 5 years of issues coincided with my choosing to be agnostic, and the resolution to them coming with a biblical message is what changed my heart. It was truly a Dues Ex Machina to me, like you would see in a movie where several plot lines intertwine and resolve themselves.

Nothing like it has ever happened in my life.

Westcliffe, CO

#170920 Jul 5, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! The closest I've ever been to any religious building is watching it on TV. Or viewing ruins in Europe and elsewhere.
Yeah can't beat the church in Barcelona Spain stunning.
I think I've stated clearly that I've never had any religion! what don't you understand about this?
If I must label myself it would be a secular humanist.
I realize this is hard to understand if you were brought up into any cult.
My respect for the desert religions went up in the smoke and choking dust of September
I watched the 'Day of Prayer' in Washington Cathedral, where people of mutually incompatible faiths united in homage to the very force that caused the problem in the first place: RELIGION.
I think it is time for people of intellect, as opposed to people of faith, to stand up and declare to respect people for what they individually think, rather than respect groups for what they were collectively brought up to believe.
"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind." - Gandhi.
Thoust art a hypocrite.

You don't understand faith, intellect, or people. You are just jerking your knees.

Reread your last 3 paragraphs.

BTW,"groups for what they were collectively brought up to believe" also includes those that went through the educational system. So you are also anti-education.

You don't understand cornerstones of societies. You just react emotionally.

Westcliffe, CO

#170921 Jul 5, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
stil CRAZY eh Daveyboy!
could you name one atheist that WORSHIPS Dawkins,
didnt think so
Not surprising. You exhibit little ability to think.

However, you are very good at emotional and irrational blurtations.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#170922 Jul 5, 2013
tyu

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#170923 Jul 5, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
This is good advice Clownie
Matthew 6:6
And when you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.
Truly I say to you, They have their reward. But you, when you pray, enter into your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father which is in secret; and your Father which sees in secret shall reward you openly.
But when you pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Any particular reason none of you follow it?
LMAO
Something you might of missed from Psalms
" Happy the one who takes and dashes
Your little ones against the rock! "
-- Psalm 137.9.
You do follow this though...
Making "every thought captive DOLP
"For the weapons of our warfare are casting down imaginations ... and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."
– St Paul, 2 Corinthians 10.4,5.
will you get off the reefer? you quoting the bible something you don't believe makes me LMAO! A atheist preaching LOL keep reading and study the whole bible.. get into a good bible study.. STOP MAKING AN @SS OUTTA YOURSELF ON TOPIX!
Imhotep

United States

#170924 Jul 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Thoust art a hypocrite.
You don't understand faith, intellect, or people. You are just jerking your knees.
Reread your last 3 paragraphs.
BTW,"groups for what they were collectively brought up to believe" also includes those that went through the educational system. So you are also anti-education.
You don't understand cornerstones of societies. You just react emotionally.
Thou hast spent entirely too much time lying to thyself!

I wager you were one of those that held a sign up at the RNC that said "we built this" based entirely on out of context statements like your Bible.

You have a simple problem you're big on opinion and very short on fact.

Yet...I find you silly people entertaining in some bizarre fashion. If nothing else you're funny!

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#170925 Jul 5, 2013
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Adam and Eve were not immortal in the beginning. Gen3:22 And the Lord, God said, Behold the man is become as one o us, to know good and evil{ and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: 23 Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. 23 So he drove out the man, and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden, Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, the keep the way of the tree of life.
Does that sound like they were meant to live forever? Doesn`t sound like it to me.
I also use the anology of my little dogs, who don`t know they are naked. If I were to leave a plate of steaks in the middle of the floor and told them not to touch it, how long would I expect the steaks to remain in the plate? And if I returned to find the steaks gone why would I not only punish my dogs, but every dog ever born, forever and ever? It makes no sense. And like Judge Judy likes to say, "If it doesn`t make sense, it isn`t true"
The Bible to me is a book that starts with a fairy tale, and ends with a nightmare, so it is all fiction.
1 cor 2-14 says you can't understand it ... It don't make semse to you because you're dumb! the bible sez so I believe the bible... Your post proves the bible right again...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 46 min Thinking 20,199
News Why Kasich's atheist criticisms seem out of touch 2 hr ATHEOI 27
News Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news - a t... 2 hr ATHEOI 189
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr ATHEOI 45,414
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 8 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 417
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 8 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 9,499
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 8 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 278
More from around the web