Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 8,187)

Showing posts 163,721 - 163,740 of223,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170542
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
Check the NDERF website. http://www.nderf.org/
I have, and once they release a scientific paper and put it up for review, the site will actually have something more than conjecture and speculation and books to $ell.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170543
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh huh. You interviewed beheaded people to see what they experienced? Or did you have them all wired up and made measurements before you lopped their heads off?
Yes, I mentioned the blood keeping the brain firing before. Which is why I told you do not expect to keep control of your thoughts as you die, or expect to drift off into sleepy bye if you believe consciousness is strictly physical based. You don't have the steady state of blood supply. You will get unsynchronized firings of neurons and disorganized thinking. Your carefully crafted higher human thought system will collapse in a disorganized manner.
You will be terrified if you believe your consciousness is strictly a physical phenomenon.
Oh, yeah. Since you answered for Poly.
How did that evolved mechanism to make death less horrible get passed down in your genes?
Your utter ignorance on how the brain works is bewildering. We know how long it takes the average brain to suffocate once oxygen flow has been cut off because we have been saving lives of people for a very long time, long enough to figure out such averages. These averages coincide with the calculated times based on what is known of physiology. You really have never learned anything, have you?

As to your last point, death is painful, and you don't always die from dying, I know that probably confused you a lot, however I have no better way of wording that so figure it out. Thus, an organism who has less horrific experiences would be more willing to take risks, risk always results in better rewards than no risk, that is a simple fact of probability. This would allow the organism to not only benefit their species by being more willing to protect others, but also survive longer due to the simple fact that more things die in cowering than fighting.

The brain is one of my pet areas of study, as it's function assists in artificial intelligence development. You see, artificial intelligence is not the simulation of intelligence, but the mechanical method of brain function.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170544
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr. Jeffrey Long has designed a systematic method of identifying and excluding false or misleading accounts to keep the data accurate. Only NDEs analyzed as genuine are published in his studies. Wisely, he hasn't disclosed his control methods. If somebody knew what criteria he is using to exclude false or misleading information, they could circumvent this to make their claim seem legitimate. Dr. Long has eliminated this as much as possible. This leaves us with very well documented claims of NDEs that require explanations and not speculations. Your claim in another post that the brain can retain consciousness for up to 10 minutes following decapitation is patently false. The best estimates as of today's modern medicine allow for no more than 15-30 seconds.
Pamela Reynolds was brain dead for 1 hour during her surgery, and had no sensations that could be explained from a neurological surgeon's perspective and subsequent medical review.
So, something beyond our own human understanding and state of existence does indeed happen.
You just described tactics of a scam artist.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170546
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The brain takes much longer to die than the body, when beheaded the person remains conscious of all activity for up to 10 minutes, of course there is nothing to move the muscles due to no blood, by the time the brain fully suffocates. Takes even longer if the brain is still attached to the body, not a pleasant thought, but then, that's why there is a release of a strong hallucinogenic once the brain thinks it's going to die. We can explain NDEs very well, we know more about those than dreams even. Though we know what causes dreams, the nature of the imagery is still somewhat perplexing sometimes. Either way, your NDEs are not spiritual in any way, simply a mechanism that evolved to make death less horrible.
You are an idiot. The brain will survive just a few minutes with no oxygen but 10??? Show the evidence of your claim.

The brain requires 20-25% of the bodies intake of oxygen. Take away the oxygen and it dies rather quickly.

Again you claim 10 minutes. You need to show evidence that supports and makes your claim true.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170547
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
In your opinion.
And your fervent hope I am wrong. The physics say I am not. Random deconstruction of what you consider an intelligent and sentient being based strictly on physical forces will not be a pleasant experience. It will not be like HAL getting shutdown. Humans have a lot more emotion.

Fear as you are falling apart. Higher thought functions are the first to go.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170548
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Your utter ignorance on how the brain works is bewildering. We know how long it takes the average brain to suffocate once oxygen flow has been cut off because we have been saving lives of people for a very long time, long enough to figure out such averages. These averages coincide with the calculated times based on what is known of physiology. You really have never learned anything, have you?
As to your last point, death is painful, and you don't always die from dying, I know that probably confused you a lot, however I have no better way of wording that so figure it out. Thus, an organism who has less horrific experiences would be more willing to take risks, risk always results in better rewards than no risk, that is a simple fact of probability. This would allow the organism to not only benefit their species by being more willing to protect others, but also survive longer due to the simple fact that more things die in cowering than fighting.
The brain is one of my pet areas of study, as it's function assists in artificial intelligence development. You see, artificial intelligence is not the simulation of intelligence, but the mechanical method of brain function.
Program emotion into your AI, then disconnect power to various components randomly.

Next time you take yours out to study dust it off a bit in the crevices.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170549
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an idiot. The brain will survive just a few minutes with no oxygen but 10??? Show the evidence of your claim.
The brain requires 20-25% of the bodies intake of oxygen. Take away the oxygen and it dies rather quickly.
Again you claim 10 minutes. You need to show evidence that supports and makes your claim true.
They can extend the time by quick cooling, slowing down the chemical processes. Not that such is widely available and handy. I think 2 minutes is the standard time.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170550
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an idiot. The brain will survive just a few minutes with no oxygen but 10??? Show the evidence of your claim.
The brain requires 20-25% of the bodies intake of oxygen. Take away the oxygen and it dies rather quickly.
Again you claim 10 minutes. You need to show evidence that supports and makes your claim true.
Your "few minutes" is how long it takes before parts begin to die, it's not a sudden process, you should stop projecting your idiocy onto others. The actual average is 3-6 minutes, before brain damage begins. Some people as long as 15 minutes:

http://www.wisegeek.org/how-long-can-the-brai...

A few years ago, this happened:

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Man-survived-withou...

That's 25 minutes without oxygen. You should at least Google before making yourself look like an idiot.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170551
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Program emotion into your AI, then disconnect power to various components randomly.
Next time you take yours out to study dust it off a bit in the crevices.
That makes no sense, care to come up with a post that at least entails a point?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170552
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Dave Nelson wrote:
And your fervent hope I am wrong. The physics say I am not. Random deconstruction of what you consider an intelligent and sentient being based strictly on physical forces will not be a pleasant experience. It will not be like HAL getting shutdown. Humans have a lot more emotion.
I don't have a "fervent hope", you're wrong, for one. As a matter of fact it isn't an issue of wanting to think there is nothing after death, it has to do with a plausible, and logical hypothesis, that leads to a theory, and can be supported by evidences.

The NDE claims haven't reached any of those thresholds.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Fear as you are falling apart. Higher thought functions are the first to go.
If you claim to have lost higher brain function -at the onset - then how is it you can make a reasoned and accurate assessment of what happened?

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170553
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Your "few minutes" is how long it takes before parts begin to die, it's not a sudden process, you should stop projecting your idiocy onto others. The actual average is 3-6 minutes, before brain damage begins. Some people as long as 15 minutes:
http://www.wisegeek.org/how-long-can-the-brai...
A few years ago, this happened:
http://www.wwltv.com/news/Man-survived-withou...
That's 25 minutes without oxygen. You should at least Google before making yourself look like an idiot.
Your first link only tells how Long Can the Brain be Without Oxygen before Brain Damage?

Your second link is God and his miracles, Plain and simple. Like he says it all went white. White light is what is said to be seen when you began to die and angels or God is near.

"Everything is just white, very bright, warm comfortable feeling. I see nothing but white, don't have any sensation of anything. There's no pain. There's no nothing very pleasant, very, very pleasant. Then the white that I see just starts to shrink, goes down to a dot and then it's gone," he described of the last moment he remembers under water.

Thanks for proving God does work miracles and helped this man survive. Great article.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170554
Jul 1, 2013
 
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an idiot. The brain will survive just a few minutes with no oxygen but 10??? Show the evidence of your claim.
The brain requires 20-25% of the bodies intake of oxygen. Take away the oxygen and it dies rather quickly.
Again you claim 10 minutes. You need to show evidence that supports and makes your claim true.
Less than a minute, or reflex
would have what muscle control left making the expression of suffocation. It was recorded a response of about 50 seconds involving the eyes. But even a minute is a horrible amount of time to realize your condition. lol

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170555
Jul 1, 2013
 
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
They can extend the time by quick cooling, slowing down the chemical processes. Not that such is widely available and handy. I think 2 minutes is the standard time.
Seem a pointless experiment, given the condition is irreversible , at this point in medical science.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170556
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Your "few minutes" is how long it takes before parts begin to die, it's not a sudden process, you should stop projecting your idiocy onto others. The actual average is 3-6 minutes, before brain damage begins. Some people as long as 15 minutes:
http://www.wisegeek.org/how-long-can-the-brai...
A few years ago, this happened:
http://www.wwltv.com/news/Man-survived-withou...
That's 25 minutes without oxygen. You should at least Google before making yourself look like an idiot.

You are ignoring a few factors here kitten, blood flow and trauma.
The brain may survive more than a minute before totally dead, but
most likely in an unconscious state of rapid deterioration and without coherency.

“A belief is formed personally.”

Since: Jun 13

Not forced.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170557
Jul 1, 2013
 
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Less than a minute, or reflex
would have what muscle control left making the expression of suffocation. It was recorded a response of about 50 seconds involving the eyes. But even a minute is a horrible amount of time to realize your condition. lol
I have a video I found on the web. It is very very gory for it is absolutely real of a decapitation of a girl from the Mexican Drug Cartel. After they cut her head off you can see her eyes move toward the side as if looking that way for a few seconds as they hold her head up.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170558
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have a "fervent hope", you're wrong, for one. As a matter of fact it isn't an issue of wanting to think there is nothing after death, it has to do with a plausible, and logical hypothesis, that leads to a theory, and can be supported by evidences.
The NDE claims haven't reached any of those thresholds.
<quoted text> If you claim to have lost higher brain function -at the onset - then how is it you can make a reasoned and accurate assessment of what happened?
The function shuts down because of lack of oxygen. Takes a bit longer for degradation of the material. If you can be revived quick enough they can be fired back up. But being organic material used as conductors you will have a variation in recovery. Organic material is not like copper or silver. This is something KK doesn't realize.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170559
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a video I found on the web. It is very very gory for it is absolutely real of a decapitation of a girl from the Mexican Drug Cartel. After they cut her head off you can see her eyes move toward the side as if looking that way for a few seconds as they hold her head up.
BS. I don't believe you. Post the link of what you claim. Anyone else want proof?

“A belief is formed personally.”

Since: Jun 13

Not forced.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170560
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
BS. I don't believe you. Post the link of what you claim. Anyone else want proof?
Replaytime I should have known you would jump on that. As I said it is a real live murder/decapitation on film. Too too gory. I will not post the link here but if you or anyone is interested, message me and I will message it to you.

“A belief is formed personally.”

Since: Jun 13

Not forced.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170561
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
BS. I don't believe you. Post the link of what you claim. Anyone else want proof?
After a second thought I won't message it to you for I know you will post it. Go search for it yourself.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170562
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
so what?
Clownie aka Chunkyboy and the rest of kristains here are brain dead also,,,LOL
you're dumb

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 163,721 - 163,740 of223,219
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••