Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 245055 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#170512 Jul 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
So you really think some invisible sky wizard needs a spirit Dave Nelson regaling him with stories of magnets and strings for an eternity?
Get a grip you senile old chumpstain.
<quoted text>
LOL

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#170513 Jul 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I will trust your appreciation of art coupled with genetic instincts to overcome such thoughts. You may even wind up having a religious experience of a sort.
But you are probably too chicken to find out.
:-)
It's just energy Dave.

I was dealt an almost lethal dose.

Bring the chicken if you like.

I'm OK with that.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#170514 Jul 1, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
If you have no evidence to prove life origins then that mean you are a person of FAITH. At least the Christians and other documented religions admit they are people of FAITH.
What?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#170515 Jul 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I will trust your appreciation of art coupled with genetic instincts to overcome such thoughts. You may even wind up having a religious experience of a sort.
But you are probably too chicken to find out.
:-)
When you're brave enough to prove the god you're lying to us about, your ignorant creationist opinions about other people's reality might matter more.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#170516 Jul 1, 2013
Only a creationist will believe being hit by a truck is a blessing from god.

It's a mental illness after all.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#170518 Jul 1, 2013
Insert raisin joke here lol!
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Rather fight than switch huh? lol If you slice him the right way , you could make him better looking and female? HAHAHA Don't try this at home!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#170519 Jul 1, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
The website below is that of Dr.Jeffrey Long. He is a leading researcher in Near Death Experiences.
http://www.nderf.org/
There are a lot of scam artists, we know this already.
Thinking

York, UK

#170520 Jul 1, 2013
"No, it's Michael."
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
The first rule of acting is: Know your audience.
Rule six: There is no rule six.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =_f_p0CgPeyAXX

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#170521 Jul 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
"No, it's Michael."
<quoted text>
May I call you Bruce, Bruce?
Thinking

York, UK

#170523 Jul 1, 2013
Viagra straightened him out.
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Pfft. Unless you've just looked it up, you don't even know who Emmett Kelly was.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#170524 Jul 1, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you misunderstood me and if I wasn't clear enough, then I'll be glad to rephrase or clarify at your request.
Now as for your assertion that Christ is a lie, would you care to explain in what way you believe it's a lie?
Are you saying He never existed? If yes, why?
Are you saying He wasn't the Messiah?
Are you saying He didn't rise from the dead?
Answers to these questions would be helpful in sharing dialogue with you. We can also explore the philosophy of belief and truth if you wish to.
Please advise how I could misunderstand your term “Everybody lies in one way or another. Nobody is immune to lying.” and clarification of what you wrote is not required, your words “everybody” and “nobody” make it clear exactly what you intended to write. You wanted to group everyone in with yourself which is of course a very narrow minded attitude.

I am saying your Jesus never existed in the manner depicted in the babble. The Roman archives and tax records show that Mary never had a child named Jesus, however listed are children named James, Joseph and Simon and Judas born to her after her rape by a Roman soldier. The solder was reprimanded and posted to Germany. Look up “Tiberius Julius Abdes Pantera of Sidon”.

Judas grew to become a zealot bordering on terrorism known as Judas of the Sicari, also know as Judas of Galilee (why two names? I ask myself). With the help of a guy named Saulus (you probably know him as St Paul) he was captured and tried for his crimes against the state and crucified. The guard was bribed and his fellow terrorist released him. He was seen up and around after his recorded crucifixion but soon died of blood poisoning caused by the nail wounds. This matches exactly with the resurrection story and is vailable in the Roman archives written at the time, not from a book compiled by committee some 300 years later (the NT).

The terrorist group known as the fourth philosophy adopted Judas of Galilee as their posthumous figurehead and rallying cry. Emperor Titus hatched a plot with Josephus to discredit the terrorists and with a little tinkering with the name of their leader and swapping a few letters of the surname he became the man who betrayed himself.(Sicari became Iscariot). This too is available in Roman archives as well as the Works of Tacitus and there are allusions to the plot in the original works of Flavius Josephus

It was not until years later when the stories were being translated to Greek that the name Jesus appeared in the story.

Christianity originated from the teaching of John the baptiser.

Also note that the Tanakh from which the OT was (selectively) copied conforms much of this, particularly the involvement of Pantera, Saulus and John the baptiser

See also the books of
Sara Reinke - Pantera
Robert Eisenman – James, the brother of Christ,
Hyam Maccobys – The Mythmaker,
Danial Underbank – Judas the Galilean: the flesh and blood Jesus
Paul Cresswell – Jesus the Terrorist

I notice you did not spell truth with a capital T, So I assume you mean truth as defined in the dictionary and not Truth as defined by religion. Although truth can be discussed as a concept of philosophy is not in itself a philosophy, however some will try and muddy the destination because they have nothing else.

Definition of truth
1: The quality or state of being true
2: That which is true or in accordance with fact or reality:

I.E. not the quality or state of belief
And not that which is true or in accordance with faith or fantasy

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#170525 Jul 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a truth in the physical world.
You stop a flow of energy and you get a back current as the matter tries to return to equilibrium.
There is no 'flow of energy' in that sense in life. Death *is* the return to equilibrium.
The energy in your body affects the molecules in it, including those that cause thought. You create an EM signature.
Which decays with death.
There will be a reverse flow, and thus potential for reforming to that place your virtual particles come drifting in and out of. Reverse loops ins pace or maybe even in your dark matter.
Sorry, but this is just twaddle.
What happened to your QM thinking? The body will wind up rotting, but the charge it created could very well create a sort of mirror consciousness, at least at the core level
There is no 'charge it created'. That is part of your delusion. You like to use scientific words like 'charge' and 'potential', and 'energy', but seem not to understand what any of those actually are.

So, we have two people here in the forum that have had NDEs. Both NDEs were similar. But they derived very different interpretations of them. Which should we take as substantiated? At the very least, we know that a brain put under stress will hallucinate and then fill in missing time. Since that accords nicely with both experiences and is the interpretation given to one of them, isn't it likely that *you* interpret yours incorrectly?
Bongo

Farmingdale, NY

#170526 Jul 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me if I don't agree with your definitions of who is or who ain't. I can't trust your judgment on matters of that sort. You think too artificially and superficially.
Snatcher is so witty he outwitted himself. His sycophants and topix fans don't seem to mind.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#170527 Jul 1, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no 'flow of energy' in that sense in life. Death *is* the return to equilibrium.
<quoted text>
Which decays with death.
<quoted text>
Sorry, but this is just twaddle.
<quoted text>
There is no 'charge it created'. That is part of your delusion. You like to use scientific words like 'charge' and 'potential', and 'energy', but seem not to understand what any of those actually are.
So, we have two people here in the forum that have had NDEs. Both NDEs were similar. But they derived very different interpretations of them. Which should we take as substantiated? At the very least, we know that a brain put under stress will hallucinate and then fill in missing time. Since that accords nicely with both experiences and is the interpretation given to one of them, isn't it likely that *you* interpret yours incorrectly?
You are a live wire while alive and a dead wire when dead. If not those little thingies they stick to your head scoping out your brain wouldn't work. You come up with some ridiculous pronouncements for someone who is supposed to "know" physics.

Yep, two NDEs right here, both headed off to parts unknown and not looking back.

Now tell us how your material evolution managed to pull that off.

Like I pointed out before, your brain shuts off the body. You disconnect. Somehow we are provided with a relatively graceful exit. All of those autonomic circuits and random firing neurons aren't making you flop around like a fish without making a lot of noise and a big scene for the most part, Please tell me how this was passed down in our genes.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#170528 Jul 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a live wire while alive and a dead wire when dead. If not those little thingies they stick to your head scoping out your brain wouldn't work. You come up with some ridiculous pronouncements for someone who is supposed to "know" physics.
Yep, two NDEs right here, both headed off to parts unknown and not looking back.
Now tell us how your material evolution managed to pull that off.
Like I pointed out before, your brain shuts off the body. You disconnect. Somehow we are provided with a relatively graceful exit. All of those autonomic circuits and random firing neurons aren't making you flop around like a fish without making a lot of noise and a big scene for the most part, Please tell me how this was passed down in our genes.
The brain takes much longer to die than the body, when beheaded the person remains conscious of all activity for up to 10 minutes, of course there is nothing to move the muscles due to no blood, by the time the brain fully suffocates. Takes even longer if the brain is still attached to the body, not a pleasant thought, but then, that's why there is a release of a strong hallucinogenic once the brain thinks it's going to die. We can explain NDEs very well, we know more about those than dreams even. Though we know what causes dreams, the nature of the imagery is still somewhat perplexing sometimes. Either way, your NDEs are not spiritual in any way, simply a mechanism that evolved to make death less horrible.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#170529 Jul 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The brain takes much longer to die than the body, when beheaded the person remains conscious of all activity for up to 10 minutes, of course there is nothing to move the muscles due to no blood, by the time the brain fully suffocates. Takes even longer if the brain is still attached to the body, not a pleasant thought, but then, that's why there is a release of a strong hallucinogenic once the brain thinks it's going to die. We can explain NDEs very well, we know more about those than dreams even. Though we know what causes dreams, the nature of the imagery is still somewhat perplexing sometimes. Either way, your NDEs are not spiritual in any way, simply a mechanism that evolved to make death less horrible.
Uh huh. You interviewed beheaded people to see what they experienced? Or did you have them all wired up and made measurements before you lopped their heads off?

Yes, I mentioned the blood keeping the brain firing before. Which is why I told you do not expect to keep control of your thoughts as you die, or expect to drift off into sleepy bye if you believe consciousness is strictly physical based. You don't have the steady state of blood supply. You will get unsynchronized firings of neurons and disorganized thinking. Your carefully crafted higher human thought system will collapse in a disorganized manner.

You will be terrified if you believe your consciousness is strictly a physical phenomenon.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#170530 Jul 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The brain takes much longer to die than the body, when beheaded the person remains conscious of all activity for up to 10 minutes, of course there is nothing to move the muscles due to no blood, by the time the brain fully suffocates. Takes even longer if the brain is still attached to the body, not a pleasant thought, but then, that's why there is a release of a strong hallucinogenic once the brain thinks it's going to die. We can explain NDEs very well, we know more about those than dreams even. Though we know what causes dreams, the nature of the imagery is still somewhat perplexing sometimes. Either way, your NDEs are not spiritual in any way, simply a mechanism that evolved to make death less horrible.
Oh, yeah. Since you answered for Poly.

How did that evolved mechanism to make death less horrible get passed down in your genes?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#170531 Jul 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh huh. You interviewed beheaded people to see what they experienced? Or did you have them all wired up and made measurements before you lopped their heads off?
Yes, I mentioned the blood keeping the brain firing before. Which is why I told you do not expect to keep control of your thoughts as you die, or expect to drift off into sleepy bye if you believe consciousness is strictly physical based. You don't have the steady state of blood supply. You will get unsynchronized firings of neurons and disorganized thinking. Your carefully crafted higher human thought system will collapse in a disorganized manner.
You will be terrified if you believe your consciousness is strictly a physical phenomenon.
When you have proof of the god you're lying about, your opinions about other people's reality will matter.
Favorite Adversary

Brooklyn, NY

#170532 Jul 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a lot of scam artists, we know this already.
Dr. Jeffrey Long has designed a systematic method of identifying and excluding false or misleading accounts to keep the data accurate. Only NDEs analyzed as genuine are published in his studies. Wisely, he hasn't disclosed his control methods. If somebody knew what criteria he is using to exclude false or misleading information, they could circumvent this to make their claim seem legitimate. Dr. Long has eliminated this as much as possible. This leaves us with very well documented claims of NDEs that require explanations and not speculations. Your claim in another post that the brain can retain consciousness for up to 10 minutes following decapitation is patently false. The best estimates as of today's modern medicine allow for no more than 15-30 seconds.

Pamela Reynolds was brain dead for 1 hour during her surgery, and had no sensations that could be explained from a neurological surgeon's perspective and subsequent medical review.

So, something beyond our own human understanding and state of existence does indeed happen.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#170533 Jul 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
When you have proof of the god you're lying about, your opinions about other people's reality will matter.
when you disprove GOD (snicker) I will join you poor dumb atheist! the bible calls you a fool... I believe the bible

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 29 min Knowledge- 11,006
John 3:16 1 hr superwilly 92
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr karl44 20,649
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 4 hr ChristineW 14,668
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes Sat NightSerf 18
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... Fri thetruth 42
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" Fri Shizle 20
More from around the web