Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
163,181 - 163,200 of 226,397 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#169973 Jun 25, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>your god science can't get the weather right. And has no proof that there is no GOD! if so lets see it... I want real proof!not some pumpkin head science guy out there saying I think so...
Let me stop you right there clowny.

Your cult believed that the earth was flat and had people killed that didn't accept it as flat.

Game over troll.

Location hidden

#169974 Jun 25, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Hardy-har-har! I, being anointed by God to do battle against atheists, and other lost in the wilderness morons,like you and thinking,Clownie cannot be insulted. Try as you may, it is against all the laws of physics to insult yours truly. Physically, and mentally stronger than steel, blessed by God with Heavenly knowledge, and wisdom. That gives me unbreakable strength to fight off miniscule, unintelligent, and in reality, out and out stupid morons like yourself & thinking. I have faith in God, the maker of everything, even losers like you (which proves God has a sense of humor). You brainless dip-sticks strengthen my faith, and my resolve. Now, get off your daddy's computer before he comes home and sticks you with his pitchfork.
ya hear
When you're brave enough to prove your god, your opinions about reality will matter.

Location hidden

#169975 Jun 25, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you know this how?
Evidence, honesty and proof. The things you stand against.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#169978 Jun 25, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you know this how?
Answers in Genesis, for one, says the story is false.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2009...
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#169980 Jun 25, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
When you are in Hell, you will have eternal painful proof. I've written you off as a permanent idiot.
A real Christian would not post in this manner. You are a fake.

Try taking the plank out of your own eye.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#169981 Jun 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Simply and laughably false. Science is based on the fact that things exist. You believe this is due to a deity, but that is not a required assumption to be able to do science. In fact, the actual observations of reality often directly contradict the Biblical descriptions.
Yes, science is based on the self evident truth that things exist in a universe that adheres to causality.

Empiricism is founded on that as well.

The problem with atheistic empiricism, is that if can never justify itself above the experiences of the human mind.

So the human mind and its reasoning become the standard by which empiricism is measured.

Would you agree with that.

That the ultimate standard for your "truths" are your senses?

In other words, you can rise no higher than the reliability and capacity of your senses when it comes to measuring the universe.

Now here is the interesting part, what if there is something higher than your senses in your experience that drives how your senses are used?

What if you have an inbuilt desire to see the world contrary to its reality?

What do you do then?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#169982 Jun 25, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Hardy-har-har! I, being anointed by God to do battle against atheists, and other lost in the wilderness morons,like you and thinking,Clownie cannot be insulted. Try as you may, it is against all the laws of physics to insult yours truly. Physically, and mentally stronger than steel, blessed by God with Heavenly knowledge, and wisdom. That gives me unbreakable strength to fight off miniscule, unintelligent, and in reality, out and out stupid morons like yourself & thinking. I have faith in God, the maker of everything, even losers like you (which proves God has a sense of humor). You brainless dip-sticks strengthen my faith, and my resolve. Now, get off your daddy's computer before he comes home and sticks you with his pitchfork.
ya hear
Could you make it a bit more difficult to tell that you use the idea of god to pump up your ego? It's fun decoding and deconstructing fundies, but you make it too easy. "anointed by god to do battle..." "Blessed by god with heavenly knowledge..." Etc. Hilarious.

Location hidden

#169983 Jun 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, science is based on the self evident truth that things exist in a universe that adheres to causality.
Empiricism is founded on that as well.
The problem with atheistic empiricism, is that if can never justify itself above the experiences of the human mind.
So the human mind and its reasoning become the standard by which empiricism is measured.
Would you agree with that.
That the ultimate standard for your "truths" are your senses?
In other words, you can rise no higher than the reliability and capacity of your senses when it comes to measuring the universe.
Now here is the interesting part, what if there is something higher than your senses in your experience that drives how your senses are used?
What if you have an inbuilt desire to see the world contrary to its reality?
What do you do then?
What if it doesn't matter if there is something higher than our senses because we can still only see it with our senses?

Location hidden

#169984 Jun 25, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you quite understand the meaning of the word "revelation"
I am perfectly clear.

We are all born with a knowledge of Gods existance.

People have three responses to that knowledge typically.

1. They seek to embrace it.
2. They seek to run from it.
3. They seek to destroy it and deny it.

Atheism is clearly in the third group.

The carnal heart is so contrary to God and so antagonistic towards Him that it will even deny reality to preserve itself.

And this is really what atheism is founded, an attempt to destroy God and His revelation to humanity.

There are two choices the atheist is faced with,(or the anti-theist, which is really the correct term for an atheist).

1. Have the carnal nature destroyed.
2. Destroy God and all knowledge of Him.

The desire to destroy God can be so powerful that the carnal mind and heart will even come to the place where it has so obscured the knowledge of God, that it will self deceive itself to protect itself.

It will deny reality in order to maintain itself.

This can be evidenced very simply by the arbitrary and contradictory belief systems of those that want to destroy God so they can preserve their rebellion and carnal nature.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#169985 Jun 25, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
The bible states the earth is square, flat and rests on top of pillars. You agree?
<quoted text>
The bible says the earth is round (Isaiah 40:22) and "hangs the earth upon nothing". Job 26:7.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#169986 Jun 25, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence, honesty and proof. The things you stand against.
what you call evidence I call garbage! another ooops science got it wrong again....

Location hidden

#169987 Jun 25, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Ware? Hardware, software, underwear?
The only thing you have is arbitrary claims and opinions. Mankind has advanced light years from the animal sacrificing bible myth days. Are things perfect? Nope and they never were and never will be. Still we have progressed vastly over the morals of your bible that says to sell virgin girls as if they were a commodity for example.
<quoted text>
So this humanistic society founded on atheism that you lift up as a paragon of virtue, what went wrong with it in the Soviet Union?

Haven't we tried that experiment before?

Didn't work.

Morality will never change because the human heart is so wicked and selfish.

The only thing that will resolve the human heart and sin issue is total destruction.

Even if God was not going to step in and resolve that, man would do it to himself.

If you think God is the problem, you are mightily deceived, man needs no help to be evil.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#169988 Jun 25, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Answers in Genesis, for one, says the story is false.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2009...
another atheist site pretending to be christian... why do atheist lie...

Location hidden

#169989 Jun 25, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
The bible states the earth is square, flat and rests on top of pillars. You agree?
<quoted text>
That argument has been dealt with so many times, it does not even merit a response.

You can find plenty of rational responses to this irrational objection on the internet.

I won't be wasting time with it.:-)

Location hidden

#169990 Jun 25, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Lmfao! Presuppositionist epic failure!
<quoted text>
So you reject Presuppositionalism as valid?

You realise of course that Presuppositionalism is inherent in many branches of philosophy, not just Christian Philosophy?

It is actually foundational to all knowledge.

Deny that, deny knowledge.

Location hidden

#169991 Jun 25, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Science has all the evidence to disprove all god that theists can imagine up.
If theists god were real, they would not be called religion - they would be accepted as science.
You have elevated the concept of "science" to a religion here for all intents and purposes.

You are claiming it has "absolute truth" it can supply for the denial of God's existence?

I think you are applying a lot of faith to your assertion now and are in fact behaving very religiously!

Location hidden

#169992 Jun 25, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>What if it doesn't matter if there is something higher than our senses because we can still only see it with our senses?
Our senses are not the basis for ascertaining truth, they are the instruments by which we observe the physical universe in the limited sphere we have.

The problem humanity has, is that it is not logical or reasonable, it has an inbuilt desire to twist reality to fits its own desires of what reality should be like.

So the senses, are only as good as the mind and heart behind them.

This is where atheistic empiricism fails as it does not address this key issue.

Humanity is not rational, humanity is half crazed.

Therefore the senses cannot be relied on, because that which is behind them is untrustworthy and uses them rather than submit to them to preserves its own paradigm.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#169993 Jun 25, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>same goes for you ... BTW atheist are dumb peeeps
Yep, sure, if I were in the ER and needed treatment I really would not give a damn whether the doctor went to church or not. I would trust him/her to be professional and to do the job they are paid for.

But can I imagine you lying on a hospital trolley in excruciating pain and shouting,“I am not having an atheist doctor, I am not having an atheist doctor”

Like hell you will, you will be grateful to whoever is available to fix you up.

So you still have not looked up the meaning of dumb, never mind, such deliberate ignorance is expected from the deliberately ignorant.

Location hidden

#169994 Jun 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I am perfectly clear.
We are all born with a knowledge of Gods existance.
People have three responses to that knowledge typically.
1. They seek to embrace it.
2. They seek to run from it.
3. They seek to destroy it and deny it.
Atheism is clearly in the third group.
The carnal heart is so contrary to God and so antagonistic towards Him that it will even deny reality to preserve itself.
And this is really what atheism is founded, an attempt to destroy God and His revelation to humanity.
There are two choices the atheist is faced with,(or the anti-theist, which is really the correct term for an atheist).
1. Have the carnal nature destroyed.
2. Destroy God and all knowledge of Him.
The desire to destroy God can be so powerful that the carnal mind and heart will even come to the place where it has so obscured the knowledge of God, that it will self deceive itself to protect itself.
It will deny reality in order to maintain itself.
This can be evidenced very simply by the arbitrary and contradictory belief systems of those that want to destroy God so they can preserve their rebellion and carnal nature.
Poe. Calling it. If it hasn't already been called.

Location hidden

#169995 Jun 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So this humanistic society founded on atheism that you lift up as a paragon of virtue, what went wrong with it in the Soviet Union?
Haven't we tried that experiment before?
Didn't work.
Morality will never change because the human heart is so wicked and selfish.
The only thing that will resolve the human heart and sin issue is total destruction.
Even if God was not going to step in and resolve that, man would do it to himself.
If you think God is the problem, you are mightily deceived, man needs no help to be evil.
Man... your religion makes you sick. It's ok to be human.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 3 hr religionislies 58
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 hr Mikko 21,506
The Ultimate Evidence of God 10 hr CunningLinguist 65
The myth of the angry atheist 17 hr _Bad Company 1
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! 18 hr Patrick 7
100% Faith Free 18 hr CunningLinguist 14
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 19 hr CunningLinguist 39
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••