Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 257121 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#170050 Jun 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Those languages (math and English) are constraints on expression and blinders of view.
It's a perspective thingy.
Language does necessarily constrain to a certain degree, but there is no other way of communicating. Moreover, perspective itself is necessarily limited, because our ability to perceive is limited. This is why it's probably better to work within our limitations to acquire reliable, verifiable knowledge. Using speculations beyond what we can confidently know as a foundation is just building on sand.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#170051 Jun 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>No.

It is a revelation we are all born with.
I musta lost mine in one of my moves.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#170052 Jun 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>Of course.

Naturalistic empiricism runs on this idea.

You can determine truth based on the absolute authority of your reason.

Do you deny this?
I've never encountered an absolute authority.

And what truth specifically are you talking about?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#170053 Jun 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>Arbitrary prejudiced ad hominem is not a rational response.:-)

Do you have a rational response to make or should truth be determined by your arbitrary opinion?
Whose truth?

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#170054 Jun 25, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, your imagination to be a pratt is enough insult to yourself, in itself. You need no help there…
What you are is delusional, and it makes you lie, you lie for you god which is quite pathetic considering that your god teaches satan to be the father of lies.
Does this mean you worship satan?
My father does not have a computer (so you lie) and you could not afford the computer system I use even after a lifetime of the kind of work you are capable of.
But feel free to lie for your god if it makes you feel better.
satan is your daddy

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#170055 Jun 25, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
You're fake.
you're gay

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#170056 Jun 25, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>There will always be some fuckwits looking desperately for kinship... but maybe less than 10% would join a religion? Or do you think much less than 10% would join?
Today?

Less than 10% would become Christian if they were not exposed to it before then.

More than 10% might join some other religion, like maybe Buddhism, but I bet the vast majority would eschew all religion.

It's too confining with no rational basis other than being in an in-group.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#170057 Jun 25, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Many US believers think it is god's will that they get ill, so they can be cured using treatments not available to the poor.
And then thumb their noses at them.

I spent about 20 minutes entertaining some Jehovah's this morning.

T'were a hoot.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#170058 Jun 25, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Answers in Genesis" is an atheist site?
BWAAAHAHAHA!
It's a Fundamentalist Christian apologetics ministry, you halfwit!
"Answers in Genesis (AiG) is a non-profit Christian apologetics ministry with a particular focus on supporting young Earth creationism and a literal interpretation of the Book of Genesis." - Wiki.
Or, if you prefer their own webpage: http://www.answersingenesis.org/
"Answers in Genesis is an apologetics (i.e., Christianity-defending) ministry, dedicated to enabling Christians to defend their faith and to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ."
then keep going over there mac!!!!! you may give your life to Jesus Christ!!!!!!!!! that would be marvous

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#170059 Jun 25, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Language does necessarily constrain to a certain degree, but there is no other way of communicating. Moreover, perspective itself is necessarily limited, because our ability to perceive is limited. This is why it's probably better to work within our limitations to acquire reliable, verifiable knowledge. Using speculations beyond what we can confidently know as a foundation is just building on sand.
We agree on that. What we won't agree on is which is speculation and which is not in each other's perspectives.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#170060 Jun 25, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist have the most sillyassed ways of explaining away their boorish behavior and soothing their consciences (if they even have one)naw they never did...

San Francisco

#170061 Jun 25, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>then keep going over there mac!!!!! you may give your life to Jesus Christ!!!!!!!!! that would be marvous
It hasn't done you much good so far, evidently.

San Francisco

#170062 Jun 25, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>satan is your daddy
Said the blasphemer.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#170063 Jun 25, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I came back to visit Topix a week or two ago. HL is around too, but she doesn't comment as often as she used to.
Topix sure is withering on the vine, IMHO.
Yeah, it is. Itis as if the educated folks leave. I remember coming on, staring on Topix, IANS, Darwin's Stepchild, HFY and FossilBob were all here. Lots of knowledge and insight in those and the other posters of the day.

Sadly, the threads lose them, while these other morons crawl through the woodwork

Location hidden

#170064 Jun 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I am perfectly clear.
We are all born with a knowledge of Gods existance.
People have three responses to that knowledge typically.
1. They seek to embrace it.
2. They seek to run from it.
3. They seek to destroy it and deny it.
Atheism is clearly in the third group.
The carnal heart is so contrary to God and so antagonistic towards Him that it will even deny reality to preserve itself.
And this is really what atheism is founded, an attempt to destroy God and His revelation to humanity.
There are two choices the atheist is faced with,(or the anti-theist, which is really the correct term for an atheist).
1. Have the carnal nature destroyed.
2. Destroy God and all knowledge of Him.
The desire to destroy God can be so powerful that the carnal mind and heart will even come to the place where it has so obscured the knowledge of God, that it will self deceive itself to protect itself.
It will deny reality in order to maintain itself.
This can be evidenced very simply by the arbitrary and contradictory belief systems of those that want to destroy God so they can preserve their rebellion and carnal nature.
A - there is literally no proof for what you wrote. I mean, literally NO proof.

B - You still don't know the meaning of the word revelation.

Location hidden

#170065 Jun 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So this humanistic society founded on atheism that you lift up as a paragon of virtue, what went wrong with it in the Soviet Union?
Haven't we tried that experiment before?
Didn't work.
Morality will never change because the human heart is so wicked and selfish.
The only thing that will resolve the human heart and sin issue is total destruction.
Even if God was not going to step in and resolve that, man would do it to himself.
If you think God is the problem, you are mightily deceived, man needs no help to be evil.
Wow - you really hate your fellow man, don't you?

San Francisco

#170066 Jun 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
We agree on that. What we won't agree on is which is speculation and which is not in each other's perspectives.
If you do away with objective evidence, falsifiability, and testability, how do you determine which perspectives are true and which false?

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#170067 Jun 25, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
Clown-o!!

Roll tide, roll :)

Have you seen Goober Hull around?

“My name is Trunks...”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#170068 Jun 25, 2013
I think a lot of old posters have disappeared. I don't see some of the ones I used to talk to around. I believe they are gone, moved away, or even did something else with their lives. Some probably even died, like old Skipper. He recently died, according to the latest Offbeat forum I visited.

“Sweden more democratic thanUSA”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#170069 Jun 25, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
No she's not a god believer

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 16 min Bob of Quantum-Faith 20,230
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 28 min Bob of Quantum-Faith 420
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 58 min Joncy David 45,427
News Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns (Sep '14) 3 hr ATHEOI 420
News Atheist Rev. Gretta Vosper should be terminated... 3 hr ATHEOI 5
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr ChristineM 10,330
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 4 hr Thinking 538
More from around the web