Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#169825 Jun 24, 2013
Joe fortun wrote:
<quoted text>. Who gets to decide which is which.
Science has decided. Its the tool we all use to measure physical reality and thats why religious people are so afraid of science - because it exposes their age old lies and false moralising.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#169826 Jun 24, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
The stunning irony of your eternity continues to build with each post you carelessly make.
Did you attend college after high school? If so, did you rack up some student loans?
Showing us that you are a coward with no proof of god does not make your cult look very appealing.

Since: Jun 13

Milwaukee, WI

#169827 Jun 24, 2013
Joe fortun wrote:
<quoted text>. Proof of a deity is personal experiences, it's not the kind of proof you can put your finger on. Sure there are other ways to look at the proof, but to the person who experienced it, it is all the proof they need to believe
compleatly false your running away from your responsibility of proof witch is none but u just cant admit that. can you imagian if the justice system was run and dictated by people who thought exacly like you? what a crazy place it would be and really is to some extent

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#169828 Jun 24, 2013
ignorance is bliss86 wrote:
<quoted text>
lol again with the misdirection ill keep bringing u back do you have any factual proof or evidence that god exsist (omitting the bibile and faith)
You have already pre-determined your range of acceptable proofs and evidence in your request.

What if your preconceptions are in error, what then?

Location hidden

#169829 Jun 24, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Ancient man did not have the advancements and data that we have. They thought doing rituals and killing animals on an alter would please the sky wizard and receive his approval for harvest or whatever. They thought you could whisper the right words to stop a hurricane from destroying your city.
Time has brought about progress and mankind is growing up.
Time to put away childish things eh?
<quoted text>
Man hasn't grown up.

Technology has advanced but the same unreasonable appeal to idols and the same worship of self is still very much evident, you confuse technological advancement with moral advancement.

Men still run from God so they can satisfy their lusts and desires, reducing them to illogicity...

Location hidden

#169830 Jun 24, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Not when society uses this delusion called god to impede scientific and medical progress and causes the deaths of billions.
It's the only sane thing to do given the circumstances.
<quoted text>
I agree society should not use God to promote or excuse ignorance.

Location hidden

#169831 Jun 24, 2013
saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is antagonising a mythical God, we're antagonising each other!
And of course: Why do religious people on Topix try to antagonise Atheists at all when they're religious and should be living clean lives, with clean minds and shouldn't even associate with us because we may try to lie, and confuse them, cause after all Satan may be in us.
Because a Christian should love their enemy and seek their salvation...

Our worldview encourages us to engage with atheism.

Nihilism on the other hand cannot supply justification for debate and discussion.

Location hidden

#169832 Jun 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
As I have pointed out repeatedly, humanism is an offshoot of Christianity. Just another sect. Same values.
Jesus won.
People love to gather and share spiritual feelings. Only the name changes.
These sort of "non-believers" will be accepted by religious society because they share the basic values. Those are intelligent and rational people.
It's the nut cases as exemplified by so many Topix atheists that will be rejected.
I think humanism is mans attempt to replace God whilst keeping those things that do not identify it's sins...

Location hidden

#169833 Jun 24, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fortunately, science is not a religion based on a single book, nor even any collection of books. The ultimate authority of science is not the dictates of any particular scientists nor even any collection of scientists, but instead is based on actual observations of real-world behavior.
Einstein was wrong about a great many things. He initially thought the universe should be static, thereby missing one of the best potential predictions of his career. He consistently refused to accept quantum mechanics, even though it was making specific predictions that were verified by observations. In particular, many of his thought-experiments critical of QM have now actually been done and the results agree with QM and not with Einstein's intuitions.
So, yes, if a 'Book of Einstein' became a matter of 'faith', I would roundly criticize it for its mistakes and errors. But science itself is not made by the dictates of any one scientist, which is partly why it is self-correcting and is able to make progress over time.
So basically you hold to empirical naturalism...

You are aware of the preconceptions of your own worldview I hope?

Location hidden

#169834 Jun 24, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
All creationists are bitter liars with no proof of god.
You are aware that this starts with a logical fallacy of prejudiced generalisation, are you prejudicial and bigoted?

Your argument certainly is.:-)

Location hidden

#169835 Jun 24, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry Kitten, but this is false. Jesus as a myth is a lazy argument of desperation on the part of those who lack historical knowledge. I know my assertion will not change your mind, and that's your right. The parallel "Jesus as myth" religions were debunked years and years ago, and have only recently resurfaced within the last few years to influence a very ignorant audience that is unfamiliar with these ludicrous claims.
The skeptical scholars of the Jesus debate all acknowledge he lived and was executed by the Romans. Gerd Ludemann and Bart Ehrman have both been very consistent in their research even though neither believes in the deity of Jesus. They have both characterized the entire "Jesus as myth" as being a very poor and lazy intellectual argument.
My question to you is this:
In both Matthew and Mark, Jesus is recorded as saying "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" as he was dying on the cross. This is a very unheroic thing to say for a leader of a religious movement. All the other religions like Islam or Buddhism have their founders dying peacefully or with heroic words, and not executed as traitors by an evil oppressive occupying government.
If you were going to start a movement or help it along, would you promote your founder in such a negative light as dying such a shameful death and then crying out in such a manner?
I wouldn't. In the context of the society at that time or at any time within 400 years of the crucifixion either way, it wouldn't make sense to write propaganda this way to promote a religion. It would fail.
Good post.

Location hidden

#169836 Jun 24, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
My view is that it's a pejorative term, used by religitards like you.
I wouldn't dignify it with a response on the merits.
I don't suffer fools, Dave.
He answers pejoratively...

:-)

Location hidden

#169837 Jun 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't tell me before or now.
Knowing "reality" is a very long ways off. So you stay dumb until then. Which means scientists now are dumb, which means dumb scientists are teaching us "reality" now.
Improve your scientific method. We are running out of time.
Interesting observation of the fallacious idea that incomplete knowledge can supply a basis is for knowing...

Location hidden

#169838 Jun 24, 2013
Joe fortun wrote:
<quoted text>. I wasn't justifying anything, but if that's what you want to think, and it makes you feel better go for it. I don't hold any antagonism. I just believe organized religion has turned a lot of good people bad, and is not good when it has control of any government. My reasons are in the past, and the Middle East today. One more thing I'm not a atheist, I believe in a deity just not the same as organized religion .
Thank you for clarifying and my apologies for a hasty generalisation about your views.:-)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#169839 Jun 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Man hasn't grown up.
Technology has advanced but the same unreasonable appeal to idols and the same worship of self is still very much evident, you confuse technological advancement with moral advancement.
Men still run from God so they can satisfy their lusts and desires, reducing them to illogicity...
Since you cannot produce evidence that your god is real, there is no harm in discarding that myth. As a species though we have advance ethically, fewer wars, less violence, and more equality over most of the globe. So your entire assertion is invalid.

Location hidden

#169840 Jun 24, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Science has decided. Its the tool we all use to measure physical reality and thats why religious people are so afraid of science - because it exposes their age old lies and false moralising.
Fallacy of reification, science cannot decide anything, men presenting their ideas and observations is the basis for scientific observation and commentary.

Your argument also suggests that scientific knowledge is now a closed book.

A flat earth argument...

Location hidden

#169841 Jun 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you cannot produce evidence that your god is real, there is no harm in discarding that myth. As a species though we have advance ethically, fewer wars, less violence, and more equality over most of the globe. So your entire assertion is invalid.
Since you assume empirical naturalism is the basiis for all knowledge, you exclude the means by which knowledge is gained.

Do you really believe human nature has improved?

Humanity sacrifices more children now than ever were sacrificed in ancient times, it just denies it by refusing to call the children children...

What is the standard of morality you are appealing to by the way?.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#169842 Jun 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you, Batty. It is heartening to see you have the ability to discern that.
You should publish.

It's your responsibility to save the world.

Only you can do it, Dave.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#169843 Jun 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Then you don't understand Christian thinking,

It is apparent most Topix atheist on here don't either. Blatant displays of emotional reaction to the perversions of ideas by those who use it for personal advancement, ignoring the underlying messages. Humanism and every other social/religious/political thought suffers from the same thing. Charlatans and demagogues. Topix atheists just jumped from one group to another. Hardly "free thinkers". Emotional reactionists. Putty in the hands of those that know how to mold them.
Yup.

We question nothing.

If its on the Internet, it HAS to be true.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#169844 Jun 24, 2013
bONGO wrote:
<quoted text> Can we assume you are large and promiscuous
You can assume what you want, thatís does not make it fact

But I see you refuse to answer my question, not surprising really, it must be so embarrassing for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 3 hr Eagle 12 4,855
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Denisova 16,810
The Consequences of Atheism 9 hr thetruth 798
Richard Dawkins - God is evil, pedophilesa not ... (Sep '13) 13 hr Thinking 3,045
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 13 hr Thinking 6,044
Is Religion Childish? 21 hr ChristineM 143
.com | Why is Atheism on the Rise - Final Response Sun thetruth 6
More from around the web