Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 257138 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Proud Member”

Since: Dec 10

The Basket of Deplorables

#169114 Jun 16, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
The Cambrian explosion was really the Cambrian extinction. The results if Noah's flood.
To make a fossil you must bury the dead fast else it just rots away.
There are jelly fish fossils from this Cambrian extinction. A pretty major event would be needed to make fossil all over the world of the same time period. We call it Noah's flood.
So Noah's flood was 500 million years ago?
Do you know what that means?
Nobody was around to see it.

“Proud Member”

#169115 Jun 16, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Rapid Burial
Fossils all over the world show evidence of rapid burial. Many fossils, such as fossilized jellyfish,a show by the details of their soft, fleshy portionsb that they were buried rapidly, before they could decay.(Normally, dead animals and plants quickly decompose.) The presence of fossilized remains of many other animals, buried in mass graves and lying in twisted and contorted positions, suggests violent and rapid burials over large areas. These observations, plus the occurrence of compressed fossils and fossils that cut across two or more layers of sedimentary rock, are strong evidence that the sediments encasing these fossils were deposited rapidly —not over hundreds of millions of years. Furthermore, almost all sediments that formed today’s rocks were sorted by water. The worldwide fossil record is, therefore, evidence of rapid death and burial of animal and plant life by a worldwide, catastrophic flood. The fossil record is not evidence of slow change.d [See "A Whale of a Tale" on page 133.]
Figure 7: Fossil of Fish Swallowing Fish. Burial and fossilization must have been quite rapid to have preserved a fish in the act of swallowing another fish. Thousands of such fossils have been found.
Figure 8: Fish in Long Fish. In the belly of the above 14-foot-long fish is a smaller fish, presumably the big fish’s breakfast. Because digestion is rapid, fossilization must have been even more so.
Figure 9: Fish in Curved Fish. The curved back shows that this fish died under stress.
Figure 10: Dragonfly Wing. This delicate, 1 1/2-foot-long wing must have been buried rapidly and evenly to preserve its details. Imagine the size of the entire dragonfly!
a . Thousands of jellyfish, many bigger than a dinner plate, are found in at least seven different horizons of coarse-grained, abrasive sandstone in Wisconsin.[See James W. Hagadorn et al.,“Stranded on a Late Cambrian Shoreline: Medusae from Central Wisconsin,” Geology, Vol. 30, February 2002, pp. 147–150.]
Coarse grains slowly covering a jellyfish would allow atmospheric oxygen to migrate in and produce rapid decay. Burial in clay or mud would better shield an organism from decay. If coarse-grain sand buried these jellyfish in a storm, turbulence and abrasion by the sand grains would tear and destroy the jellyfish. To understand how thousands of jellyfish were gently collected and preserved in coarse-grained sand, see pages 186–198.
Charles Darwin recognized the problem of finding fossilized soft-bodied organisms, such as jellyfish. He wrote:
No organism wholly soft can be preserved. Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species, p. 330.
Again, a prediction of evolution is seen to be wrong.
b . Donald G. Mikulic et al.,“A Silurian Soft-Bodied Biota,” Science, Vol. 228, 10 May 1985, pp. 715–717.
u “... preconditions for the preservation of soft-bodied faunas: rapid burial of fossils in undisturbed sediment; deposition in an environment free from the usual agents of immediate destruction—primarily oxygen and other promoters of decay, and the full range of organisms, from bacteria to large scavengers, that quickly reduce most carcasses to oblivion in nearly all earthly environments; and minimal disruption by the later ravages of heat, pressure, fracturing, and erosion.... But the very conditions that promote preservation also decree that few organisms, if any, make their natural homes in such places.” Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life(New York: W. W. Norton & Co., 1989), pp. 61–62.
c . Presse Grayloise,“Very Like a Whale,” The Illustrated London News, 1856, p. 116.
d . Harold G. Coffin, Origin By Design (Washington, D.C.: Review and Herald Publishing Assn., 1983), pp. 30–40.
[From "In the Beginning" by Walt Brown]

If you bury your head in the sand rapidly enough, it will turn into a fossil. Then you can be evidence of a flood.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#169116 Jun 16, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
It is impossible to out wit that which does not exist.
e.g. GODS
then why try? you spend more time talking about the lord than most christians... LOL

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#169117 Jun 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> So Noah's flood was 500 million years ago?
Do you know what that means?
Nobody was around to see it.

Time is relative.

You are assuming our physical world, and thus its measurements of time have proceeded at the same rate and configuration.

All of those glimpses into the past are based upon the present material world we are now a part of.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#169118 Jun 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Tranny Town Clunt needs to show the nice policewoman on the diagram where his priest touched him.
<quoted text>
Thinking you're a broke azz pathelogical liar who hangs out at homeless shelters for friendship... looking to blow men...

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#169119 Jun 16, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Who was it that created Satan?
Atheists or god?
Lmao
Are you trying to form a coherent sentence? You sound so retarded I can't even figure out what you are trying to say. anymore
LMAO someone needs to go back to first grade.

“Proud Member”

#169120 Jun 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>7
Time is relative.
You are assuming our physical world, and thus its measurements of time have proceeded at the same rate and configuration.
All of those glimpses into the past are based upon the present material world we are now a part of.
Yeah I know what you're saying, 500 Million ya is 6,000 ya
when a creatard is counting.

La Veta, CO

#169121 Jun 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah I know what you're saying, 500 Million ya is 6,000 ya
when a creatard is counting.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/...

There does appear to be accelerations based upon the modern clock.

Ever been late because of a weak watch battery? Your schedule and its schedule worked on two different time frames.

Measure current rates in change of matter and energy with a weak battery, then do it again with a fresh one. Same watch with the same matter, but the energy levels are different. All past events that far back are measured with the battery you have today.

That's science.

“Proud Member”

#169122 Jun 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/...
Ever been late because of a weak watch battery? Your schedule and its schedule worked on two different time frames.
Measure current rates in change of matter and energy with a weak battery, then do it again with a fresh one. Same watch with the same matter, but the energy levels are different. All past events that far back are measured with the battery you have today.
That's science.
The hours in a day have varied because the rotation speed has changed but, the solar year has remained constant. So the year has remained constant, watches are irrelevant.

La Veta, CO

#169123 Jun 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The hours in a day have varied because the rotation speed has changed but, the solar year has remained constant. So the year has remained constant, watches are irrelevant.
How do you know the solar year has remained constant? It varies now.

La Veta, CO

#169124 Jun 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The hours in a day have varied because the rotation speed has changed but, the solar year has remained constant. So the year has remained constant, watches are irrelevant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_year

Wade through that the best you can, Auralie.

As you will note near the bottom, there is variation in a solar year. At least 2 minutes by that short chart. That adds up to a lot of time over billions of years. But that is not the point. The observations are based upon periodicity and alignments of the macro and the micro from one point in the whole shebang. In this universe everything is tied together, so the macro, being larger in force, affects the micro. You can't speed the periodicity of an atom unless the mass and energy of the rest of the universe allows it, and you will need to pump extra energy into then to do so, which then has to come from somewhere. You can be in a whirlpool and get the same periodicity, but your motion or distance traveled can be radically different. It gets complicated, but our observations and thus determinations re time are arbitrarily derived.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#169125 Jun 16, 2013
Freebird USA wrote:
The end is near.
Oh no, not again!
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#169126 Jun 16, 2013
Freebird USA wrote:
The end is near.
Hopefully this fall but definitely by the end of 2014

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#169127 Jun 16, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Hopefully this fall but definitely by the end of 2014
Be quiet you annoying Poe

La Veta, CO

#169128 Jun 16, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Be quiet you annoying Poe
Just think, Just Think is having a good day, or night. Life is good, thank Darwin. He is educated and successful. All the sex he wants, of any type.

Ahhh..so sweet.

Then a huge ball of dark matter the size of Jupiter traveling faster than the speed of light, undetected by science because of its darkness and speed interfering with their gravity calculations, takes time to do those you know, comes smashing into the earth at the South Pole,

So much for Friday's date.
Imhotep

Sanford, FL

#169134 Jun 16, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Are you trying to form a coherent sentence? You sound so retarded I can't even figure out what you are trying to say. anymore
LMAO someone needs to go back to first grade.
Then I have been successful!

And I thank you for your patronage!

I had to lower myself to the clown level. ;)

Now perhaps you'll be able to comprehend, That what you post is irrelevant to me - I will admit sometimes you are funny, And we do need forum fodder for entertainment.

Allah willing I shall win big!
Hare Krishna and shalom

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#169135 Jun 16, 2013
Jeremiah said The Lord deceived me and I was deceived. The bible admits your god lied. Just accept it.
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Jeremiah 20 go read it again!!!! 1cor 2-14 says you don't understand the word... this proves it... I love it when a atheist quotes scripture that he don't believe... stay off them gay atheist sites boy you hear me... thats all I need is a atheist preaching the HOLY WORD OF GOD TO BRO. CLOWNIE... why lord??? I told you Clownie they were dumb!!! You did LORD... again you told me the truth...

Henderson, KY

#169136 Jun 16, 2013
And Dave proves his Christianity again. As usual he can't keep up with his own lies.

He bashes atheists but then comes crawling to atheists when he needs help with something.

Senile old loser.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Atheists are too stupid to be evil. That is why they are used as tools.

Satan has never been portrayed as dumb, only those who fall under his influence.

That was allegorical, but true.

Henderson, KY

#169137 Jun 16, 2013
Your god stood by and let that god loving and fearing little girl be burned alive as a human sacrifice and Jephthah was rewarded greatly for doing it. He could have stopped it with a word and had two months to do it. But then again your god loves the smell of burning flesh and blood so he must have enjoyed that little girl who loved him screaming as she roasted in his honor.

What a dark god you worship.
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>That's called freedom of choice. It was Jephthah who made up the contract.

God did not say "ok Jephthah I will let you win your war but you must then offer your daughter to me as a burnt offering".

Nope it was Jephthah who said "Lord if you let me win this war I will offer up to you the first who walk out of my door when I return"

I would also point out that no where in the bible is this burnt offering of his Daughter ever carried out.

Henderson, KY

#169139 Jun 16, 2013
In senile Dave's world 500 million years, 6000 years? Aw what's the difference?

Lol!
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/...

That's science.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr SoE 45,560
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Big girl 20,310
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 1 hr Big girl 554
News A Strong Muslim Identity Is the Best Defense Ag... 2 hr naman 16
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 10,360
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 2 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 353
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Eagle 12 21,408
More from around the web