Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258490 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#168343 Jun 10, 2013
harpokrates wrote:
<quoted text>
really?
http://ctp.berkeley.edu/neutrino/neutrino.htm...
<quoted text>then you might want to look at the response to IF, where i stated that it has been disproven by cern and opera that neutrinos travel faster than the speed of light.
<quoted text>that is called poisoning the well.
I was saying that they didn't travel faster than light.

Ok.. so you are pointing out that you corrected yourself after several people told you that you were wrong? The fact is you made the mistake of claiming that neutrinos travel faster than light.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#168344 Jun 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You are showing us just how divided this country is right now.
I don't believe any state really want to secede, but used that as a form of protest. But honestly this statement is from passion and carries little validity.
" The rest of the country would be better off without them and the average intelligence of what remains would double."
There could be a minor difference but what ever difference would be hard to measure, much less validate and show it has any true meaning. The biggest difference between the northern and southern states atm is cooperation with the current policy in the Obama admn. Which is being exposed as corrupt as about any ever has been.
Obama is trying to use the IRS and homeland security much the same way Hitler used the SS, it you call that intelligent, and consider this type behavior acceptable then you are part the reason we have a problem in this country and it is divided as it is right now.
The problems we face as a nation will not be cured with the attitude you present here though, it will only force the wedge deeper between our people even more. As far as pollution goes this is a problem you definitely cannot pin geographically to southern states, as this is something more than even North American, and a global problem, with many other first world countries other than the US being major contributors to, and many third world countries being major contributors also.
The large problem with government today I see is It's over stepping it bounds and needs to be chopped down like a wild bush out of control. The power is the peoples, not the governments, and here lies the conflict. Government is infringing on the sovereignty of the people of America , geographical location is irrelevant to this fact.
I agree.

“Faith means not wanting to ”

Since: Nov 10

know what is true.

#168345 Jun 10, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Sadly, this is true.

I ascribe it to the notion that Fundies, of all stripes, are not SUPPOSED to read stuff. Outside their particular apologetics, anyway.
Then the cry you persecuting Christians.... A line straight out faux news

know what is true.

#168346 Jun 10, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Like the coward you are you avoid everyone's questions but expect your to be answered. I have two or three I have asked you and have received NO answers. if your serious about a dialog, and least have the balls to answer question put before you before demanding others answer yours.
It's so they can box us in and use whatever we say against us and control the conversation.... It's the only way they can feel they can get victory.

Seen it time and time again.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#168348 Jun 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Agreed.
Some of Obama's presidential edicts have been almost word-for-word copies of ones previously made by Bush, expressed like they were his own unique, original ideas. Very funny, repeating an edict already in effect. He seems too fond of seeing his own words in print and himself on tv.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#168349 Jun 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Lol! Ya Buck's so called prison adventures ( all taken from movies btw ) are just ridiculous. Like when he supposedly shoved a shank up a dude's Christhole and slashed him again and again with his arm up to his elbow up there.
Such an attack would kill someone from severe internal injuries or have them on deaths door for days. Doing something like that would get your prosecuted and you would probably never see the walls outside of prison ever again. Certainly your stay would be extended for decades after such an attack.
In fatty's version of the story there was blood all over him and all over the cell but the prison officials did nothing about it and the victim just slept it off and was sore for a while.
Lmfao!
<quoted text>
He does tell some tall ones doesn't he? Problem is, I can't figure out if he actually thinks people are believing him (totally clueless) or if he actually believes it (totally psychotic). I'm leaning towards a little bit of the first and a whole lot of the latter.

I usually just avoid the brick, too weird to even have a conversation with.

“Universal Conscious Conscience”

Since: Feb 08

Planet Earth

#168350 Jun 10, 2013
Atomic_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is the disbelief in a god, that's it. It tells you nothing else about the person you are speaking to.
Disbelief of a self-evident absolute (universal) truth is the rejection of a self-evident absolute (universal) truth.

It takes the acceptance of ONLY self-evident absolute (universal) truths to know what the non-religious GOD concept is.

If you have disbelief of a self-evident absolute (universal) truth who rejects some truths and accept some truths this makes an atheist a contradictory thinking person.

“Universal Conscious Conscience”

Since: Feb 08

Planet Earth

#168351 Jun 10, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Out of that grammatical nightmare, I see that you support gay marriage.
I may have misjudged you.
I am about any human being making their own choices rather they are male or female on the universal scale. Not the government or other individuals making the choices for them.

I am heterosexual not homosexual (irrelevant) but I uphold every human being ability to choose as long as they don't impose it on another human being ability to choose.

If a human decide to do drugs, that's his/her choice.
If a human and another human decide to marry one another and are the same sex between consenting adults. That's their choice.

If a human want to induce active euthanasia on his/her self that's their choice.

Anything that pertains to human individuality choices I am all for it. I am pro choice and pro llfe all the way!

know what is true.

#168352 Jun 10, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
<quoted text>Disbelief of a self-evident absolute (universal) truth is the rejection of a self-evident absolute (universal) truth.

It takes the acceptance of ONLY self-evident absolute (universal) truths to know what the non-religious GOD concept is.

If you have disbelief of a self-evident absolute (universal) truth who rejects some truths and accept some truths this makes an atheist a contradictory thinking person.
So you make a claim that god is self-evident absolute truth. Can you demonstrate how? Or otherwise this just a belief which you claim.

Before you say you said no such thing you said "It takes the acceptance of ONLY self-evident absolute (universal) truths to know what the non-religious GOD concept is".

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#168353 Jun 10, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Some of Obama's presidential edicts have been almost word-for-word copies of ones previously made by Bush, expressed like they were his own unique, original ideas. Very funny, repeating an edict already in effect. He seems too fond of seeing his own words in print and himself on tv.

His first campaign speeches and promises were totally ruined by his utter disregard and complete failure to not only fail to deliver any of them, but to do completely the opposite.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#168354 Jun 10, 2013
"Now I am become deaf, the destroyer of worlds" [sic].
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, I've been known to quote the Qur'an, as well as the Bible, the Baghavad Ghita...
Mostly to show why they're effed up.

“Sweden more democratic thanUSA”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#168355 Jun 11, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
<quoted text>
A universal conscience is not a brain disorder savage!
Can you even hold a conversation without throwing insults?! Hey, I am all about freedom of speech and if you hurl insults you GOD DAMN right I am going to fire them back at you.
So are we going to learn something or what? Or do you think you have everything figured out because this is what you are portraying!
i was right it's a fundie with a brain disorder.

no nobel prize for that shit you are spewing.

know what is true.

#168356 Jun 11, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
<quoted text>Disbelief of a self-evident absolute (universal) truth is the rejection of a self-evident absolute (universal) truth.

Self evident is an assumptive claim, which means you have no proof that it is true. So another words you believe it is true so everyone else should too, and if they don't they are wrong in your eyes.

“Sweden more democratic thanUSA”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#168357 Jun 11, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>ditto.. evolution is certainly as likely to exist as a gay leprechaun...
must be many gay leprechauns but they might be invisible and silent because evolution exists
Thinking

Poole, UK

#168358 Jun 11, 2013
Depends what you mean by secular.

If you say "isn't religion a load of old rubbish" in a UK pub or office, you are very unlikely to cause offence.
Atomic_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent point!
We can go back through history and there are many examples of the definition of marriage being changed. King Henry the 8th created a new religion solely to change the definition of marriage allowing divorce.
In the bible there are many definitions of marriage, but anti equality fractions choose to ignore those.
For secular states that pride them selves on freedom I find this to be a hypocrisy.

know what is true.

#168361 Jun 11, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Depends what you mean by secular.
If you say "isn't religion a load of old rubbish" in a UK pub or office, you are very unlikely to cause offence.
<quoted text>
I am referring in the establishment of laws in secular countries, not the individual.

It's the same in Aussieland

know what is true.

#168362 Jun 11, 2013
Ends of Times wrote:
<quoted text>If you make racial slurs against blacks at a Klan meeting you also are not likely to cause offense. Your point is just as obtuse.
Thinking was just after clarity of my comment.

know what is true.

#168363 Jun 11, 2013
Ends of Times wrote:
<quoted text>Your statement of evolution existing and reinventing what evolution is does not make it exist. To be specific, evolution is the evolving of species from one to another over the course of time. That does not exist. All the other crap is an attempt to manufacture steps leading up to what they can never prove and have never proved, speciation.
Do you have an alternative?

Since: Mar 11

United States

#168364 Jun 11, 2013
I think he wants people to believe it but I doubt anyone does.

Honestly it is fun sometimes humiliating him, bad habit I know.:)
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>He does tell some tall ones doesn't he? Problem is, I can't figure out if he actually thinks people are believing him (totally clueless) or if he actually believes it (totally psychotic). I'm leaning towards a little bit of the first and a whole lot of the latter.

I usually just avoid the brick, too weird to even have a conversation with.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#168365 Jun 11, 2013
A Non religious God exists and is self evident?

You see schizo, this is why everyone laughs at you as a loony. Even your fellow Christians.

Get professional help okay?
Infinite Force wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Into The Night 61,151
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 25 min Messianic114 2,661
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 9 hr IB DaMann 5,970
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 16 hr Science 28,312
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Wed Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) Mar 18 Eagle 12 2,043
More from around the web