Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#165692 May 18, 2013
Christianity says a murderer can be rewarded in heaven whole his victims are tortured in hell. Certainly it would be difficult to find a worse worldview yes?
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>Gods existence is self evident, your need to borrow from the Christian worldview to make your arguments is one evidence.

The other is your antagonism towards God who you assert does not exist.

Your behaviour refutes your argument.

Lexington, KY

#165693 May 18, 2013
Yes you are rehashing what you humiliated yourself with last time.

Again you cannot assign attributes and deeds to a god until you can demonstrate there is even a god there to assign them to.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>You are an atheist, upon what absolute moral position do you judge morality with?

Lexington, KY

#165694 May 18, 2013
Oh yes he will run away from that like fire! He wants to say his god is this absolute moral being yet refuses to discuss the atrocities his god committed.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>So you think "absolute morality" exists and that it says killing children who "back talk" is a good idea. That's sick dude.
Imhotep

Orlando, FL

#165695 May 18, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> That was to Lincoln. I guess he is not the sort of person I would like to see using the name Lincoln. I do not like the discussions that are full of such backandforth hostility, and have found a more intelligent and kindhearted thread. I would like to know whether you prefer hostile argument, or nuanced discussion with wise folks? I would also invite you to state your own views directly. I am an agnostic athiest. I am hostile to the extreme right-wing of most religions, and also of right-wing non-religious dogmatic ideologues. By rightwing I mean pro-war and unkind in policies. so, where do you stand? and which type of discussion do you prefer?
Which type of discussion?
Interesting provocative informative!

I am a secular humanist.
I was never exposed religion at any time of my life. My parents were irreligious.
I am ultraliberal, smoke pot, detest bigotry in any form and see all people as having value not just a select few.

Does this answer your questions? ;)

I make plenty of political comments but I don't vote.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#165696 May 18, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
My awareness of absolute morality is derived from what God has revealed.
You agree you are aware of ethical standards, but deny God, so you cannot account for them.
From where do you derive your absolute moral standards?
Atheism has no basis for absolute moral standards, it is morally bankrupt.
If you disagree show me the safe with the money...
Show me where you get absolute morality from.
Show me an example of absolute morality. I'd like to see one. Please save us both some font tho'- by be sure it is absolutely "Absolute" prior to response. Thanks, this could change my life.

“The King of R&R”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#165697 May 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Again. How do you know those prayers aren't answered?
A: You don't. You assume.
Enlighten us. Where do we find proof those prayers were answered? I've looked everywhere "I thought".

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#165698 May 18, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is killing wrong when the stronger survive there is no basis in atheism for this to be wrong.
You claim it is sad, but why is it sad?
In your worldview, survival of the fittest is the only thing that matters, sadness is irrelevant.
It reflects quite poorly upon you that you can't possibly imagine why it would be wrong to take a life in the absence of an eternal punishment/reward for your behavior on earth. That is astounding.

Also, you make the mistake of assuming that the TOE requires it's "believers" to make moral decisions based on the notion of "survival of the fittest." That is absurd.

Location hidden

#165699 May 18, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it advantageous to ensure our genes continue to descend and to who?
The universe doesn't care.
And the rest of the animal kingdom would benefit from our demise.
Your ancestors won't care who they got their genes from, in a few generations the wont even remember you.
The success of the human race in the atheistic worldview is irrelevant as according to atheism itself, it will disappear at some point as it becomes the next victim of evolutionary processes...
So looking at atheism, there is no real purpose to atheism, it cannot account for the sense of purpose each human has...
Atheism does not attempt to "account for the sense of purpose that each human has." Atheism is not a philosophy or a religion - it is simply a lack of belief in deities. Your post is rendered completely nonsensical by this simple misunderstanding.

Location hidden

#165700 May 18, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your point?
Atheism demands that suffering be an essential part of evolutionary progress, so upon what absolute moral basis do you condemn this version of God you present?
Why would you care and upon what basis do you justify the moral position of caring.
Atheism does not demand anything of the TOE. Again, you are making nonsensical errors.

My point is that your god - an "all powerful, merciful, loving being," is completely devoid of even a mote of compassion for his creations.

Location hidden

#165701 May 18, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you derive meaning from an atheistic worldview?
You criticise but fail to account for meaning.
Isn't that a reflection on your own psyche?:-)
Atheism does not attempt to provide meaning. Why do you keep making these basic mistakes?

Location hidden

#165702 May 18, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely, a sense of purpose itself requires an explanation of its existence, are you arguing that it doesn't?
I am arguing that an external agent is not required to explain our "sense of purpose" or our morality.

Location hidden

#165703 May 18, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You have not understood the point I suspect.
I am not arguing that you do not have a sense of meaning.
I am pointing out that you cannot account for a sense of meaning.
To have meaning requires your existence to be intentional, if you are merely one of the universes accidents, then their is no rational basis for your sense of meaning and purpose.
Your worldview cannot account for your inherent sense of meaning...
You are making completely baseless assumptions. Our "sense of meaning" does not require our existence to be intentional - you have no proof of this assertion.

Again, atheism does not attempt to "account for [my] inherent sense of meaning and purpose."
Bostitch

Prosperity, SC

#165704 May 18, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Sin rocks!!!
It can't rock if it does not exist. Stupid atheists can't even get there own lies straight.
Bostitch

Prosperity, SC

#165705 May 18, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Atheism does not attempt to provide meaning.
It can't provide reasoning either. Atheism works by steering the mind towards hate and anger, breeding lies and confusion.
Imhotep

Orlando, FL

#165706 May 18, 2013
Bostitch wrote:
<quoted text>
It can't provide reasoning either. Atheism works by steering the mind towards hate and anger, breeding lies and confusion.
Reasoning is something theists fail to do.

It's impossible they've already abandoned their mind to fantasy.

Most theists posting in atheist forums have a mental disorder which manifests itself with an inflated sense of their own importance and a deep need for admiration.

Behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

You, In particular, present a persistent sense of inadequacy, a tendency to self-diminishment, resulting in excessive aggressiveness through overcompensation.

Imhotep's court physicians prescribe psychotherapy.

On a scale of 10... I give you a 2 because I've never seen a 1.

Maybe you could try Homeopathy to fix your irrational belief in things that have no scientific basis.

You remind me of Han Solo dumping cargo to make the jump to light speed... At the first sign of Imperial cruisers Carrying those dreaded FACTS!

Right Chewie?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#165707 May 18, 2013
Bostitch wrote:
<quoted text>
It can't rock if it does not exist. Stupid atheists can't even get there own lies straight.
You mean like fundies can't handle adjectives?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#165708 May 18, 2013
Bostitch wrote:
<quoted text>
You are mistaken. Most of the atheists I know are nice people.
Come to think on't, so are most of the believers.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#165709 May 18, 2013
Bostitch wrote:
<quoted text>
Did gawd command that you lie?
Lincoln

United States

#165710 May 18, 2013
Ok folks, show's over, nothing to see here, show's over
only the troll posting under another name.
Givemeliberty wrote:
Head injury Dave is back! I say old man have you injured yourself lately? Remember you said that is the bet way to lean after all?!
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!
<quoted text>

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#165711 May 18, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, atheism is the result of reason and logic. Why are you posting non-sequitors?
Says the guy who wears dresses and occult jewelry. You wouldn't recognize logic if it slapped you in the face with a pipe wrench.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 10 min Lawrence Wolf 1,038
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 22 min thetruth 29
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 25 min thetruth 14,451
Young atheists: The political leaders of tomorrow 27 min thetruth 6
Why Christians should stick up for atheists 29 min thetruth 8
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 11 hr QUITTNER Nov 27 2014 31
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 17 hr Richardfs 1,423

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE