Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,954)

Showing posts 159,061 - 159,080 of223,213
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>It is truly telling of your psyche that you require god to derive meaning from life.
How do you derive meaning from an atheistic worldview?

You criticise but fail to account for meaning.

Isn't that a reflection on your own psyche?:-)

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it advantageous to ensure our genes continue to descend and to who?
The universe doesn't care.
And the rest of the animal kingdom would benefit from our demise.
Your ancestors won't care who they got their genes from, in a few generations the wont even remember you.
The success of the human race in the atheistic worldview is irrelevant as according to atheism itself, it will disappear at some point as it becomes the next victim of evolutionary processes...
So looking at atheism, there is no real purpose to atheism, it cannot account for the sense of purpose each human has...
Now you are projecting your weak personal flaws on to others. Life has what purposes you make of it, we need no fricking skydaddy to tell us what our purposes in life can be.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>We can easily derive meaning from our lives through our relationships with loved ones, our personal sense of fulfillment, our emotions, our morality, etc.

No god is necessary for life to have meaning. I don't understand why you consider life worthless without an afterlife. If anything, the fact (as far as we know) that this life is all we get makes it *more* meaningful, not less.
You have not understood the point I suspect.

I am not arguing that you do not have a sense of meaning.

I am pointing out that you cannot account for a sense of meaning.

To have meaning requires your existence to be intentional, if you are merely one of the universes accidents, then their is no rational basis for your sense of meaning and purpose.

Your worldview cannot account for your inherent sense of meaning...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

coping with atheists wrote:
<quoted text>
No he didn't , but thanks for admitting that God does exist. You do that more often than you realize. Your inability to drop the subject about God for starters.
The only reason you want to attempt to bully atheists into not talking about your delusion is so you do not have to face that your delusion is a delusion. That is all you have done with this post, betray the fear or being shown the one real fact:

Your god is a lie.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you derive meaning from an atheistic worldview?
You criticise but fail to account for meaning.
Isn't that a reflection on your own psyche?:-)
Why does meaning have to be inherent?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
It was either accidental or it was intentional which one is it?
Yeah, nope. Reactions to forces of nature are not accidental, is the formation of snow an accident? Is the volcanic flow an accident? Is tectonic activity and accident? When the wind blows, is that an accident?
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

The troll septic posting under another name
"Th-th-th-th-that's all, folks!"
Givemeliberty wrote:
Jackasses tend to bray.
<quoted text>

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

coping with atheists wrote:
<quoted text>No he didn't , but thanks for admitting that God does exist. You do that more often than you realize. Your inability to drop the subject about God for starters.
You are here because you doubt your own beliefs.

But you're afraid to admit it.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No that isn't what I wrote.
I wrote that what topix theists think is atheism for many is no more than rational skepticism based on scientific reasoning, or aka freethinking based on logical thinking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought
Silly "frethinking" creature. You have just exchanged indoctrination by one group of men for indoctrination of others. You now worship men, and not the creative force.

I know you are happier being submissive to those humans you consider smarter than you. Even though they will be less tolerant of differing opinions than the old order. You will be trapped in their determinations of your ultimate worth to humanity. And supporting them handsomely.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Silly "frethinking" creature. You have just exchanged indoctrination by one group of men for indoctrination of others. You now worship men, and not the creative force.

I know you are happier being submissive to those humans you consider smarter than you. Even though they will be less tolerant of differing opinions than the old order. You will be trapped in their determinations of your ultimate worth to humanity. And supporting them handsomely.
"Worship" is unique to religion.

How ya doin', Dave?

Got all your fingers?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Silly "frethinking" creature. You have just exchanged indoctrination by one group of men for indoctrination of others. You now worship men, and not the creative force.

P.S. I see buck let you up long enough to type a post. I expect he an bongo will be arriving here shortly.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly "frethinking" creature. You have just exchanged indoctrination by one group of men for indoctrination of others. You now worship men, and not the creative force.
So you admit that the only way to get people to believe in religious nonsense is to indoctrinate them. Why do you support indoctrinating children?
Imhotep

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you could try Homeopathy to fix your irrational belief in things that have no scientific basis?

Theists are akin to Han Solo dumping cargo to make the jump to light speed... At the first sign of Imperial cruisers Carrying those dreaded FACTS!

Right Chewie?

You're True Christian™ and can now take Advantage of my exciting new
RaptureReady® All-American asbestos suits.

eBay for 666€!

Muslim women will need my RaptureReady® asbestos burkas.
Bold stylish EyeView® porthole.
Available only in black.(Prayer rug optional)

Isralite model can be purchased wholesale @ Solomon Goldstein's - Mail order only.
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

To state as Dawkins has that religion is a form of child abuse is closer to raving than to reason.
Smears at the religion of a billion people may be a sign of Decline?
Imhotep

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
To state as Dawkins has that religion is a form of child abuse is closer to raving than to reason.
Smears at the religion of a billion people may be a sign of Decline?
We cannot pretend to be able to prove that there is no God. I equally cannot prove that Satan is a fiction. The Christian God may exist; so may the gods of Olympus, or of ancient Egypt, or of Babylon. But no one of these hypotheses is more probable than any other: they lie outside the region of even probable knowledge, and therefore there is no reason to consider any of them.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible.

"Because it works bitches!" ;)
~ Dawkins

Topix theists posting in atheist forums have a religious mental disorder which manifests itself with an inflated sense of their own importance and a deep need for admiration. Behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

Imhotep's court physicians prescribe psychotherapy. Thorazine 500 mg
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
We cannot pretend to be able to prove that there is no God. I equally cannot prove that Satan is a fiction. The Christian God may exist; so may the gods of Olympus, or of ancient Egypt, or of Babylon. But no one of these hypotheses is more probable than any other: they lie outside the region of even probable knowledge, and therefore there is no reason to consider any of them.
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible.
"Because it works bitches!" ;)
~ Dawkins
Topix theists posting in atheist forums have a religious mental disorder which manifests itself with an inflated sense of their own importance and a deep need for admiration. Behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.
Imhotep's court physicians prescribe psychotherapy. Thorazine 500 mg
evangelical atheists seem obsessed / O C D with convincing everyone around them, usually through amusing intolerance.
Imhotep

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
evangelical atheists seem obsessed / O C D with convincing everyone around them, usually through amusing intolerance.
Amusing intolerance?

I'll bet you laughed really hard on 911.

You did the Christian thing and forgave them, Because you are so very tolerant of them and their beliefs.

You really loved those Muslim brothers right?
They are after all your fellow creations correct?
They were really amusing, why - There was a mosque on the 17th floor of the World Trade Center 2

This may seem amusing to a stupid Christian it's not amusing to atheists

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Free thought is exactly in opposition to brainwashing, Dave. But it's true you could never know this.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing intolerance?
I'll bet you laughed really hard on 911.
You did the Christian thing and forgave them, Because you are so very tolerant of them and their beliefs.
You really loved those Muslim brothers right?
They are after all your fellow creations correct?
They were really amusing, why - There was a mosque on the 17th floor of the World Trade Center 2
This may seem amusing to a stupid Christian it's not amusing to atheists
That was to Lincoln. I guess he is not the sort of person I would like to see using the name Lincoln. I do not like the discussions that are full of such backandforth hostility, and have found a more intelligent and kindhearted thread. I would like to know whether you prefer hostile argument, or nuanced discussion with wise folks? I would also invite you to state your own views directly. I am an agnostic athiest. I am hostile to the extreme right-wing of most religions, and also of right-wing non-religious dogmatic ideologues. By rightwing I mean pro-war and unkind in policies. so, where do you stand? and which type of discussion do you prefer?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Free thought is exactly in opposition to brainwashing, Dave. But it's true you could never know this.
Hi, please explain more about the name you use.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 159,061 - 159,080 of223,213
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••