Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255502 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Imhotep

Orlando, FL

#165654 May 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly "frethinking" creature. You have just exchanged indoctrination by one group of men for indoctrination of others. You now worship men, and not the creative force.
I know you are happier being submissive to those humans you consider smarter than you. Even though they will be less tolerant of differing opinions than the old order. You will be trapped in their determinations of your ultimate worth to humanity. And supporting them handsomely.
Maybe you could try Homeopathy to fix your irrational belief in things that have no scientific basis?

Theists are akin to Han Solo dumping cargo to make the jump to light speed... At the first sign of Imperial cruisers Carrying those dreaded FACTS!

Right Chewie?

You're True Christian™ and can now take Advantage of my exciting new
RaptureReady® All-American asbestos suits.

eBay for 666€!

Muslim women will need my RaptureReady® asbestos burkas.
Bold stylish EyeView® porthole.
Available only in black.(Prayer rug optional)

Isralite model can be purchased wholesale @ Solomon Goldstein's - Mail order only.
Lincoln

United States

#165655 May 18, 2013
To state as Dawkins has that religion is a form of child abuse is closer to raving than to reason.
Smears at the religion of a billion people may be a sign of Decline?
Imhotep

Orlando, FL

#165656 May 18, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
To state as Dawkins has that religion is a form of child abuse is closer to raving than to reason.
Smears at the religion of a billion people may be a sign of Decline?
We cannot pretend to be able to prove that there is no God. I equally cannot prove that Satan is a fiction. The Christian God may exist; so may the gods of Olympus, or of ancient Egypt, or of Babylon. But no one of these hypotheses is more probable than any other: they lie outside the region of even probable knowledge, and therefore there is no reason to consider any of them.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible.

"Because it works bitches!" ;)
~ Dawkins

Topix theists posting in atheist forums have a religious mental disorder which manifests itself with an inflated sense of their own importance and a deep need for admiration. Behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

Imhotep's court physicians prescribe psychotherapy. Thorazine 500 mg
Lincoln

United States

#165657 May 18, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
We cannot pretend to be able to prove that there is no God. I equally cannot prove that Satan is a fiction. The Christian God may exist; so may the gods of Olympus, or of ancient Egypt, or of Babylon. But no one of these hypotheses is more probable than any other: they lie outside the region of even probable knowledge, and therefore there is no reason to consider any of them.
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible.
"Because it works bitches!" ;)
~ Dawkins
Topix theists posting in atheist forums have a religious mental disorder which manifests itself with an inflated sense of their own importance and a deep need for admiration. Behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.
Imhotep's court physicians prescribe psychotherapy. Thorazine 500 mg
evangelical atheists seem obsessed / O C D with convincing everyone around them, usually through amusing intolerance.
Imhotep

Orlando, FL

#165658 May 18, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
evangelical atheists seem obsessed / O C D with convincing everyone around them, usually through amusing intolerance.
Amusing intolerance?

I'll bet you laughed really hard on 911.

You did the Christian thing and forgave them, Because you are so very tolerant of them and their beliefs.

You really loved those Muslim brothers right?
They are after all your fellow creations correct?
They were really amusing, why - There was a mosque on the 17th floor of the World Trade Center 2

This may seem amusing to a stupid Christian it's not amusing to atheists

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#165659 May 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly "frethinking" creature. You have just exchanged indoctrination by one group of men for indoctrination of others. You now worship men, and not the creative force.
I know you are happier being submissive to those humans you consider smarter than you. Even though they will be less tolerant of differing opinions than the old order. You will be trapped in their determinations of your ultimate worth to humanity. And supporting them handsomely.
Free thought is exactly in opposition to brainwashing, Dave. But it's true you could never know this.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#165660 May 18, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing intolerance?
You did the Christian thing and forgave them, Because you are so very tolerant of them and their beliefs.
They were really amusing, why - There was a mosque on the 17th floor of the World Trade Center 2
That was to Lincoln. I guess he is not the sort of person I would like to see using the name Lincoln. I do not like the discussions that are full of such backandforth hostility, and have found a more intelligent and kindhearted thread. I would like to know whether you prefer hostile argument, or nuanced discussion with wise folks? I would also invite you to state your own views directly. I am an agnostic athiest. I am hostile to the extreme right-wing of most religions, and also of right-wing non-religious dogmatic ideologues. By rightwing I mean pro-war and unkind in policies. so, where do you stand? and which type of discussion do you prefer?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#165661 May 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Free thought is exactly in opposition to brainwashing, Dave. But it's true you could never know this.
Hi, please explain more about the name you use.
Lincoln

United States

#165662 May 18, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing intolerance?
Support Obama -
Liberal Democrat -
Bob-Quantum-Bot turned me off "ignorant" atheism.
Atheism seems more of a European movement than US?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#165663 May 18, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Support Obama -
Liberal Democrat -
Since it's not a movement, that makes you wrong.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#165664 May 18, 2013
Head injury Dave is back! I say old man have you injured yourself lately? Remember you said that is the bet way to lean after all?!

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Silly "frethinking" creature. You have just exchanged indoctrination by one group of men for indoctrination of others. You now worship men, and not the creative force.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#165665 May 18, 2013
Could you post this again in English? Seriously.
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>Support Obama -
Liberal Democrat -

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#165666 May 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>How can you possibly know how they will be looked at in two generations?

See this is how you Christholes make such jackasses out of yourself.

My worldview offers truth not delusion. Few things are more liberating and hopeful than truth.
What was the name of your great grand father?

What was the name of his great grand father?

I doubt you know or can even confirm that without doing some serious research.

Which of course validates the point I am making.

The rest of your post was mere prejudicial opinion and therefore not worth a logical response...

Location hidden

#165667 May 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Atheism ... A-theism.. Without theism... Without belief in god.

Sorry, I know it doesn't fit your apologetic argument but we deal in reality and reason.
You claim this but cannot account for reason itself.

You have also once again failed to present a reasonable argument, instead confusing your opinion as a logical argument.

There is a distinct difference between the two, asserting an opinion is not an exercise in logic...

Location hidden

#165668 May 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Why is Sweden not a cauldron of seething hate and violence then?

It seems your apologetic argument has more holes in it than a pasta strainer.

Atheism merely means not believing in god it has no other so called world views. It only deals with a lack of theistic belief.

Hence why most atheists are secular humanists and pacifists which describes most of our worldview.
Stalin was a pacifist?

You also display little humanism (unless humanism is a lack of tolerance of non humanists), and your aggressive name calling also refutes your claim.

Your general attitude reveals the true nature of your beliefs.

Which is an attitude of intolerance and aggression against those that disagree with you.

You might wear the tee shirt but your actions reveal your true position.

Location hidden

#165669 May 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Are you seriously trying to claim that today's secular humanist morals originate with Christianity? Lol!

Christianity states a non Christian can kill his family, go to prison, convert to Christianity and go to heaven while his victims who didn't convert most likely burn in hell.

No Christian that I have spoken to has ever denied this as you before did not deny this.

It is damn near impossible to have a worse set of morals.
You are an atheist, upon what absolute moral position do you judge morality with?

Location hidden

#165670 May 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>This has been answered sadly you lack the comprehension to understand. This is most likely because of your apologetic brain washing. Sorry we can't fix stupid especially when you have a preconceived notion that you are unable to budge from. The sad thing is you start with your conclusion and work backwards.

This is highly illogical and childish.

Again until you have demonstrated observable proof for this Jewish sky wizard you call god, you are unable to assign deeds and attributes to him.
It has not been answered, how do you account for a sense of purpose from an atheistic worldview?

Location hidden

#165671 May 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Just smiling and pointing out your ignorance.
No, you were expressing an arbitrary opinion.

You do not at this point seem to recognise the difference between a reasoned argument and mere opinion.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#165672 May 18, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim this but cannot account for reason itself.
You have also once again failed to present a reasonable argument, instead confusing your opinion as a logical argument.
There is a distinct difference between the two, asserting an opinion is not an exercise in logic...
No, atheism is the result of reason and logic. Why are you posting non-sequitors?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#165673 May 18, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an atheist, upon what absolute moral position do you judge morality with?
The same you do, we use our judgment, empathy, and conscience. If you do not utilize these, then that makes you a sociopath.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min Richardfs 34,265
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 8 min Rosa_Winkel 20,052
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 23 min Brian_G 14,856
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 1 hr emperorjohn 4,468
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 2 hr emperorjohn 168
News Are There Atheists in the Foxholes? 2 hr emperorjohn 54
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 2 hr emperorjohn 109
More from around the web