Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#165437 May 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you wipe afterward?
is that what you do ?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#165438 May 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>A "being"?!

O_o

It's a "man" with magical powers.

Please, GLM. Try.
Believe it or not, a man is a being.
Libertarian

UK

#165439 May 16, 2013
You may go back to your god, but personally I want nothing to do with such a monster.
lifetime

Prosperity, SC

#165440 May 16, 2013
Libertarian wrote:
You may go back to your god, but personally I want nothing to do with such a monster.
You may go to your Hell, but personally I want nothing to do with going there, but your choice to go there is fine with me....you seem to deserve to burn in it.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#165441 May 16, 2013
lifetime wrote:
<quoted text>
You may go to your Hell, but personally I want nothing to do with going there, but your choice to go there is fine with me....you seem to deserve to burn in it.
Ahh, the poisoning of religion on display once again. Here is a person you don't even know except for some short posts, but you're willing to wish him eternal torture in lakes of fire. Worse, you wish him this horror simply because he doesn't believe exactly as you. This is the divisiveness that religion brings to species. You have drawn a line in the sand separating you from him and all who do not believe as you. We can't ever be friends, cooperate by working together, feel connected and united, all because of your religious beliefs. Two people who might have accomplished so much together, all lost because of religion, now multiply that by millions. Even though Hell is a fictitious place, created to scare little children, the idea is just as destructive and has divided our species into separate compartments for thousands of years. Here for all to see is an example of Christopher Hitchens most accurate description......"Religio n poisons everything."

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#165442 May 16, 2013
Wow Lincoln had to change your screen name again? At least you didn't mess up KJV into LJV again lmfao!
lifetime wrote:
<quoted text>You may go to your Hell, but personally I want nothing to do with going there, but your choice to go there is fine with me....you seem to deserve to burn in it.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#165443 May 16, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>There is no evidence (I love how you hate that word) that pixie dust is real, because of LACK OF EVIDENCE werewolves are not real, beside anecdotal testimony and personal experiences, which NEVER count as evidence, there is NO EVIDENCE that prayers are answered.
LOGIC 101.........Prayers are answered by God.....POSITIVE ASSERTION
There is no evidence for either God or that he answers prayers....This is NOT an assertion, only a positive statement is considered an assertion. All POSITIVE assertion require evidence...ready...set....GO!! !!
Something is either REAL, or it's NOT. I am not required to provide evidence that pixie dust is NOT real, I never asserted that is was. If you assert that pixie dust is real, you must provide the proof. Same with anything for which there is no evidence, that includes God.
Of course you've been brainwashed. You were born an Atheist. You were probably an atheists for about 3 or 4 years. Then someone started telling you about imaginary beings ( Angels, demons, God) and magical places ( Heaven, Hell, Purgatory) You were told over and over that these beings and places were real and ended up actually convinced that everything you were told was true. If you were told from the beginning, that all people shorter than you were evil and must be shunned, and ended up believing it, that is brainwashing. No different from imaginary beings and magical places.
It is YOUR assertion that, and I quote "Number one....prayers are NEVER answered... "

If you can't provide evidence for that, then it's only your opinion.

So which is it? Fact or opinion?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#165444 May 16, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So I'll take this as you not accepting the FACT that the sun sets in the West. By NOT accepting that fact, you must have an alternative. Care to share with us all were the sun actually sets if not the WEST?.........I can't wait to hear your alternate explanation..........Ready.... set....GO!!!!
No son, the fact is that the sun doesn't actually set in the west. The fact is that the sun is a ball of gas burning billions of miles away and the planet we're on happens to be orbiting that ball of gas.

It APPEARS to us that it sets in the west, but it ACTUALLY doesn't.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#165445 May 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It is YOUR assertion that, and I quote "Number one....prayers are NEVER answered... "
If you can't provide evidence for that, then it's only your opinion.
So which is it? Fact or opinion?
There is demonstrable proof that any prayer has ever been answered, therefore....No prayer has ever been answered. provide some scientific documentation that a prayer has been answered and we can have a discussion, otherwise it comes down to personal experiences which NEVER passes as evidence. Sorry, it's just a delusion, just like your God thing!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#165446 May 16, 2013
Should read...There is NO demonstrable proof.......
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#165447 May 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No son, the fact is that the sun doesn't actually set in the west. The fact is that the sun is a ball of gas burning billions of miles away and the planet we're on happens to be orbiting that ball of gas.
It APPEARS to us that it sets in the west, but it ACTUALLY doesn't.
I guess i have to treat you like a 5 year old...ONCE AGAIN.......If you are standing on the planet, with the exception of both poles, does the sun set in the West.....YES...or NO. It either does, or it doesn't, no third choice....answer please!!!!!!!!

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#165448 May 16, 2013
It's hard to debate with people to ignorant to even understand the question. I suppose people like him like to hang around smart people which is why they come here to the atheist forum.
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I guess i have to treat you like a 5 year old...ONCE AGAIN.......If you are standing on the planet, with the exception of both poles, does the sun set in the West.....YES...or NO. It either does, or it doesn't, no third choice....answer please!!!!!!!!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#165449 May 16, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>There is demonstrable proof that any prayer has ever been answered, therefore....No prayer has ever been answered. provide some scientific documentation that a prayer has been answered and we can have a discussion, otherwise it comes down to personal experiences which NEVER passes as evidence. Sorry, it's just a delusion, just like your God thing!!!
Show me demonstrable proof that a prayer, according to God's will, was not answered.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#165450 May 16, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I guess i have to treat you like a 5 year old...ONCE AGAIN.......If you are standing on the planet, with the exception of both poles, does the sun set in the West.....YES...or NO. It either does, or it doesn't, no third choice....answer please!!!!!!!!
You know, the sun stays fixed in it's position at the center of the solar system.

It doesn't rise and set.

But it APPEARS to rise and set because of the Earth's rotation on its axis.

If you were smarter than a five year old, you'd know that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#165451 May 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
It's hard to debate with people to ignorant to even understand the question. I suppose people like him like to hang around smart people which is why they come here to the atheist forum.
<quoted text>
HA HA !!

The old atheist adage: "I'm atheist, therefore smart."

'_'

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#165452 May 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me demonstrable proof that a prayer, according to God's will, was not answered.
Well you are still here… so that prayer was wasted.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#165453 May 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
*sigh*

Show me demonstrable proof that wishing on a star, if you really believe in fairies, was not answered.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#165454 May 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA !!
The old atheist adage: "I'm atheist, therefore smart."
'_'
You got that backwards - as you so often do.

That's "I'm smart, therefore atheist".

Location hidden

#165455 May 16, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So I'll take this as you not accepting the FACT that the sun sets in the West. By NOT accepting that fact, you must have an alternative. Care to share with us all were the sun actually sets if not the WEST?.........I can't wait to hear your alternate explanation..........Ready.... set....GO!!!!
The sun doesn't "set", unless you believe something causes it to. It does come into and out of view view in a relatively set pattern.

Your view of it is slave to to its position. Your use of the term set is archaic, and is indicative of an assumption you are the center of the universe.

Your deficiency in understanding the English language has evidently affected your world view and logic system. You dumb shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#165456 May 16, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>*sigh*
Show me demonstrable proof that wishing on a star, if you really believe in fairies, was not answered.
Okay, but you first. Show me demonstrable proof that a prayer, according to God's will, was not answered.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr ChristineM 1,454
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr J RULES 23,252
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 2 hr Reason Personified 10
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 9 hr Even Steven 2,607
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 10 hr Richardfs 166
God' existence 12 hr polymath257 84
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 16 hr Mikko 5
More from around the web