Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
158,061 - 158,080 of 226,248 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#164561 Apr 28, 2013
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>What does a man who wrote the Bible have to do with your lack of scientific evidence to support atheism?
What does science have to do with Atheism? Other than we both require evidence.
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
Huh? What does a man who wrote the Bible have to do with your claim that God did these things.
I don't claim that a god did anything.
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
Please share with us the verses that tell the believer to kill everything in the village if even one person is not a believer. Please share this.
Deuteronomy 13

Here another goodie!

"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children.
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
But, why are you so focused on the Bible and one God? Why not focus on your reasons for not being sure if there is no God? Perhaps you wish to talk about the god, Anubis and the writings concerning him?
Simple.“cdesign proponentsists”
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
I do not know why you chose to come here with a lame position that you do not know if there is a God or gods or whether there is not.
As long as the god or gods stay hidden by magic, how would I know that they are here?
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
You do not seem interested in discussing other gods or why you are not certain if the God you mock and say is made up does not exist.
Notice how you fluctuate between "You say that you don't know exist or not" and "the God you mock and say is made up does not exist.", make up my mind! LOL!

Simple.“cdesign proponentsists”
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
It sounds like you thought you had a position wherein you could attack but offer nothing to attack. Well, ignorance can always be questioned and yours has been.
I guess I should just take your word for it and run away.

Naw, I'll stick around. You may feel like you are being attacked, most fundies do. I don't really care what you believe, it doesn't belong in public school's science classes.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#164562 Apr 28, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
So how has science proven ''evolution''? Do you know what they do to determine this?
I don't know all of it by a long stretch but I know enough that it has been confirmed to happen. There are existing cases but rare which I have stated before on Topix of species which are found in two different climatic situations in a small part of the world, and they exhibit different traits due to the climate though are the same species, so they are evolving due to circumstances. One which I am thinking of but can't refer to specifically at this moment is where a species bears it young fully developed as do humans, or at least in some form of that, while in a different climatic situation they lay eggs from which their young develop.

It is considered the species is evolving from one method of procreation to another due to the environment, and likely has much to say about other evolutions some of which man would not have been able to see as it is happening like that one, but may have changed gradually over millions of years. It is considered very rare to actually observe evolution, as in that case, actually happening. We usually only find evidence of the former state, and see what exists now.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#164563 Apr 28, 2013
Expert in all Things wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =n9kzOfuiTeoXX

Exactly my point.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#164564 Apr 28, 2013
And educated.... Okay sorry I was really reaching there.

My bad :)
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>What's wrong with you?

You make RR look almost civilized.

Location hidden

#164565 Apr 28, 2013
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>Good. So, what is your point.
I am not trying to get you to believe in Kraken.
If you choose not to believe in Kraken, that is your choice.
Perhaps you will try Coyote.
See how easy,if those two don't suit you, I can present others to you.
Rather than playing word games which it appears you are weak at, why not show your proof for the God that apparently you believe in, and sew what we think about it? If it is sound enough you might find some new believers on Topix.

Location hidden

#164566 Apr 28, 2013
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, these kind people are not here to debate their position, they have this idea that they can attack one God.
I have offered them Kraken, Coyote and Dionysus, they do not seem interested. I guess, in reality they know that the God of the Bible exists and they think that Kraken, Coyote and Dionysus do not exist.
How far do you want to pretend to be simple? To the point where you confirm that you are? Atheists do not believe in any deity; that covers all of them. They do not believe that these Gods do not exist; they just don't believe they do. This is usually because they have nothing to indicate to them that they do exist.

You still have not provided any evidence that we should start believing in a God, which you do, because you must have that evidence, otherwise we would would have to seriously question your judgment.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#164567 Apr 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Another baseless claim?
What IS it with you people?
Provide evidence that there would still be people alive and with arms and legs still attached if God was watching over.
In turn, provide evidence that God WASN'T watching over, which is why people aren't alive and with arms and legs not attached....
It's your claim. It's your onus.
Go.
What's a baseless claim? The evidence rests with the Theist description on the traits that this God things supposedly has. Kind, Loving, Compassionate, Just, All powerful. Are you telling me that this God was powerless to stop the horror in Boston? He watched, knew what would happen, but chose to do nothing? Is that what you are contending?

God WAS'NT watching? So there are things that take place that God IS NOT AWARE OF? That would certainly explain the slaughter at Sandy Hook, and the thousands of children that die of starvation on a daily basis. You do know that your God is completely worthless right? Yeah I thought you'd agree!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#164568 Apr 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, poor me...
"Pluto takes 248 years to complete one full orbit around the Sun."
http://www.universetoday.com/13865/orbit-of-p...
Bullshit, no one has ever witnessed Pluto make on full orbit, its never been observed, its just science making a guess once again. Do you believe everything you read? Numbnuts!!!!

Location hidden

#164569 Apr 28, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
And educated.... Okay sorry I was really reaching there.
My bad :)
<quoted text>
I think we all have been guilty of trying to attach intelligence to these people, likely because they seem to know how to post on the internet. That is probably trying to hard.

Lexington, KY

#164570 Apr 28, 2013
I don't think dust buster there has anything except logical fallacies, ad hom attacks and word games.

When some being really exists you can show observable proof for it. You don't need to play word games on if President Obama exists do you?
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>Rather than playing word games which it appears you are weak at, why not show your proof for the God that apparently you believe in, and sew what we think about it? If it is sound enough you might find some new believers on Topix.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#164571 Apr 28, 2013
From CNN

When religious beliefs become evil: 4 signs

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/28/when...

1. I know the truth, and you don’t.
2. Beware the charismatic leader.
3. The end is near.
4. The end justifies the means.

Lexington, KY

#164572 Apr 28, 2013
You are of course correct and I presumed too much there.

Honestly that is what is so sad about believers that they are not only ignorant but fight against their own nature to remain ignorant!

They are throwing away their birthright on an ancient goat herder myth!

I pity them, I really do.
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>I think we all have been guilty of trying to attach intelligence to these people, likely because they seem to know how to post on the internet. That is probably trying to hard.

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#164573 Apr 28, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know all of it by a long stretch but I know enough that it has been confirmed to happen. There are existing cases but rare which I have stated before on Topix of species which are found in two different climatic situations in a small part of the world, and they exhibit different traits due to the climate though are the same species, so they are evolving due to circumstances. One which I am thinking of but can't refer to specifically at this moment is where a species bears it young fully developed as do humans, or at least in some form of that, while in a different climatic situation they lay eggs from which their young develop.
It is considered the species is evolving from one method of procreation to another due to the environment, and likely has much to say about other evolutions some of which man would not have been able to see as it is happening like that one, but may have changed gradually over millions of years. It is considered very rare to actually observe evolution, as in that case, actually happening. We usually only find evidence of the former state, and see what exists now.
Ohh, well i am not that educated in the science department myself,, so i was wondering what was the purpose for the ''Geologic time Scale''.. Does that or is that part of a method science uses to claim man evolved from one ancestor or something like that??

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#164574 Apr 28, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
I told this to a guy once.
If one is truly seeking God and wanting to know if he is real, wouldnt the smart thing to do, is go by the instructions in the Book (Holy Bible)?
But yet they evade it with every fiber in them. They seem to think they will find God under a microscope or in a science lab, etc etc...
A poster i met on the WSJLM few years ago use to say this all the time..
Knowledge abounds but wisdom is rare..
Isaac Asimov wrote, "Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." Many of the regular posters on this forum have seen the truth of this firsthand and were, in fact, firm believers until, out of devotion, the made the mistake of reading the Bible in its entirety. I had to read it three times before I finally accepted that any religion based on this book was essentially insane, such was the pressure from family, friends, and mentors to believe as they did.

For some time, I figured that, while the Bible was false, God was real. I meditated with my Quaker friends and eventually found a spiritual home in the Baha'i Faith, which is based on books of astounding beauty and a wonderfully consistent ethos. But after a while, I saw gaping holes in that as well. I sought, sought long and hard with more vigor than most believers could muster, to no avail.

Now I am content to live as a useful member of the most intelligent species on earth, but still as a member of the animal kingdom. I need nothing more.

But I understand why others do, which is why I am a quiet atheist. As I am content where I am, so are others in very different places. Let them stay there as long as they do no harm.

As long as they do no harm.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#164575 Apr 28, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohh, well i am not that educated in the science department myself,, so i was wondering what was the purpose for the ''Geologic time Scale''.. Does that or is that part of a method science uses to claim man evolved from one ancestor or something like that??
Here's my take on it:

Large geological changes happen very slowly.

Consider a foot race. The difference between one competitor's time and the next is sometimes less than a second, so in order to express those times in a way that makes sense, we use minutes, seconds, and fractions of seconds as the units of measure.

But if we limited ourselves to the same units when managing a construction project that could take several years to complete, the numbers would be too large to understand, so we use days, weeks, months, and years within that context.

Significant geological changes take place over centuries, millennia, and millions of years, so that is the time scale used to talk about those changes. Significant evolutionary changes take place over hundreds or thousands of generations. In short-lived species, the time scale can be measured in years, decades, or centuries, but in longer lived species like humankind, they take place within the geologic time scale. The most useful evolutionary time scale for any given species is proportional to the time between one generation and the next.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#164576 Apr 28, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
The geological time scale is something that was deduced from the evidence. In particular, that many processes take millions of years was well-established before Darwin wrote any of his books. It is also supported by radiometric dating (NOT carbon dating---carbon dating only works for things less than about 100,000 years old--very young for geological processes).

The geological time scale informs us of how long various stages of evolution took, but it is not dependent on the evidence of evolution, nor is the evidence for evolution directly dependent on the geological time scale. The two *do* inform each other, though.

I should also point out that the geological time scale, which involves actual dates and times is different than the geologic column, which tells the *order* of events, but does not give the timing of those events. So, we can look at various human ancestors and know the order of their appearance even in the cases where we do not have good dates for the different species. The geologic column was well-established long before the dates of the events in that column were figured out.

Location hidden

#164577 Apr 28, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Geologic time Scale is simply all the time of Earths history
divided into scales by events that took place on its history.
Science uses it to point to a time frame in Earths history when something happened. Like the movie Jurassic Park , Jurassic is an Period in the Mesozoic Era of the Phanerozoic Eon.

Lexington, KY

#164581 Apr 28, 2013
So god exists because the bible says so?

That's your proof?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

The bible also says the earth is square, flat and rests on top of four pillars!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !!

Wait wait wait it gets better! You want proof for a Jurassic Park period of time? The Jurassic Park age?!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !

Wow! Just effing wow! I didn't think someone could actually be dumber than RR but you did it!

And it's worth noting that RR claims that historians are not scholars and that Catholics don't believe in Jesus!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Oh wow your post is going on Facebook for everyone to laugh at!

Thanks!:))
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>Where is your proof that Jurassic is a period in the Mesozoic era? I love how your clan wants proof but offers none. Yes, Jurassic Park was a movies, fiction, made up.

It has been proven over and over that God exists, the documented evidence in all the books, all of the internet and there is empirical proof. Now, where is your evidence of a period of time existing called Jurassic park?

Perhaps, you can explain in your own words, the exact sequence of so-called speciation evolution of gaseous explosions evolving into species and the order of species that led to man. If not, you are just flailing around waiting for Kraken.

Location hidden

#164582 Apr 28, 2013
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>Where is your proof that Jurassic is a period in the Mesozoic era? I love how your clan wants proof but offers none. Yes, Jurassic Park was a movies, fiction, made up.
It has been proven over and over that God exists, the documented evidence in all the books, all of the internet and there is empirical proof. Now, where is your evidence of a period of time existing called Jurassic park?
Perhaps, you can explain in your own words, the exact sequence of so-called speciation evolution of gaseous explosions evolving into species and the order of species that led to man. If not, you are just flailing around waiting for Kraken.

The Jurassic is a period in the Mesozoic era, because we named them so. This system has a long history going back to the 17th century.
Jurassic park was a fictional movie, the geologic time of the Jurassic period is not. I'm not sure why you even bring up god, did god tell you there was no geologic period called Jurassic?

Lexington, KY

#164583 Apr 28, 2013
I thought the Jurassic park age happened before the lost world age and after the back to the future 3 age?

Lmfao!
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>The Jurassic is a period in the Mesozoic era, because we named them so. This system has a long history going back to the 17th century.
Jurassic park was a fictional movie, the geologic time of the Jurassic period is not. I'm not sure why you even bring up god, did god tell you there was no geologic period called Jurassic?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 15 min Tuco Blondie 18
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr ChristineM 900
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr MUQ1 21,499
The Ultimate Evidence of God 1 hr Thinking 53
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr Thinking 403
100% Faith Free 2 hr Reason Personified 10
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 2 hr Patrick 41
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••