Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258463 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#164574 Apr 28, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
I told this to a guy once.
If one is truly seeking God and wanting to know if he is real, wouldnt the smart thing to do, is go by the instructions in the Book (Holy Bible)?
But yet they evade it with every fiber in them. They seem to think they will find God under a microscope or in a science lab, etc etc...
A poster i met on the WSJLM few years ago use to say this all the time..
Knowledge abounds but wisdom is rare..
Isaac Asimov wrote, "Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." Many of the regular posters on this forum have seen the truth of this firsthand and were, in fact, firm believers until, out of devotion, the made the mistake of reading the Bible in its entirety. I had to read it three times before I finally accepted that any religion based on this book was essentially insane, such was the pressure from family, friends, and mentors to believe as they did.

For some time, I figured that, while the Bible was false, God was real. I meditated with my Quaker friends and eventually found a spiritual home in the Baha'i Faith, which is based on books of astounding beauty and a wonderfully consistent ethos. But after a while, I saw gaping holes in that as well. I sought, sought long and hard with more vigor than most believers could muster, to no avail.

Now I am content to live as a useful member of the most intelligent species on earth, but still as a member of the animal kingdom. I need nothing more.

But I understand why others do, which is why I am a quiet atheist. As I am content where I am, so are others in very different places. Let them stay there as long as they do no harm.

As long as they do no harm.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#164575 Apr 28, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohh, well i am not that educated in the science department myself,, so i was wondering what was the purpose for the ''Geologic time Scale''.. Does that or is that part of a method science uses to claim man evolved from one ancestor or something like that??
Here's my take on it:

Large geological changes happen very slowly.

Consider a foot race. The difference between one competitor's time and the next is sometimes less than a second, so in order to express those times in a way that makes sense, we use minutes, seconds, and fractions of seconds as the units of measure.

But if we limited ourselves to the same units when managing a construction project that could take several years to complete, the numbers would be too large to understand, so we use days, weeks, months, and years within that context.

Significant geological changes take place over centuries, millennia, and millions of years, so that is the time scale used to talk about those changes. Significant evolutionary changes take place over hundreds or thousands of generations. In short-lived species, the time scale can be measured in years, decades, or centuries, but in longer lived species like humankind, they take place within the geologic time scale. The most useful evolutionary time scale for any given species is proportional to the time between one generation and the next.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#164576 Apr 28, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohh, well i am not that educated in the science department myself,, so i was wondering what was the purpose for the ''Geologic time Scale''.. Does that or is that part of a method science uses to claim man evolved from one ancestor or something like that??
The geological time scale is something that was deduced from the evidence. In particular, that many processes take millions of years was well-established before Darwin wrote any of his books. It is also supported by radiometric dating (NOT carbon dating---carbon dating only works for things less than about 100,000 years old--very young for geological processes).

The geological time scale informs us of how long various stages of evolution took, but it is not dependent on the evidence of evolution, nor is the evidence for evolution directly dependent on the geological time scale. The two *do* inform each other, though.

I should also point out that the geological time scale, which involves actual dates and times is different than the geologic column, which tells the *order* of events, but does not give the timing of those events. So, we can look at various human ancestors and know the order of their appearance even in the cases where we do not have good dates for the different species. The geologic column was well-established long before the dates of the events in that column were figured out.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#164577 Apr 28, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Geologic time Scale is simply all the time of Earths history
divided into scales by events that took place on its history.
Science uses it to point to a time frame in Earths history when something happened. Like the movie Jurassic Park , Jurassic is an Period in the Mesozoic Era of the Phanerozoic Eon.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#164581 Apr 28, 2013
So god exists because the bible says so?

That's your proof?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

The bible also says the earth is square, flat and rests on top of four pillars!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !!

Wait wait wait it gets better! You want proof for a Jurassic Park period of time? The Jurassic Park age?!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !

Wow! Just effing wow! I didn't think someone could actually be dumber than RR but you did it!

And it's worth noting that RR claims that historians are not scholars and that Catholics don't believe in Jesus!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Oh wow your post is going on Facebook for everyone to laugh at!

Thanks!:))
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>Where is your proof that Jurassic is a period in the Mesozoic era? I love how your clan wants proof but offers none. Yes, Jurassic Park was a movies, fiction, made up.

It has been proven over and over that God exists, the documented evidence in all the books, all of the internet and there is empirical proof. Now, where is your evidence of a period of time existing called Jurassic park?

Perhaps, you can explain in your own words, the exact sequence of so-called speciation evolution of gaseous explosions evolving into species and the order of species that led to man. If not, you are just flailing around waiting for Kraken.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#164582 Apr 28, 2013
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>Where is your proof that Jurassic is a period in the Mesozoic era? I love how your clan wants proof but offers none. Yes, Jurassic Park was a movies, fiction, made up.
It has been proven over and over that God exists, the documented evidence in all the books, all of the internet and there is empirical proof. Now, where is your evidence of a period of time existing called Jurassic park?
Perhaps, you can explain in your own words, the exact sequence of so-called speciation evolution of gaseous explosions evolving into species and the order of species that led to man. If not, you are just flailing around waiting for Kraken.

The Jurassic is a period in the Mesozoic era, because we named them so. This system has a long history going back to the 17th century.
Jurassic park was a fictional movie, the geologic time of the Jurassic period is not. I'm not sure why you even bring up god, did god tell you there was no geologic period called Jurassic?

Scottsburg, IN

#164583 Apr 28, 2013
I thought the Jurassic park age happened before the lost world age and after the back to the future 3 age?

Lmfao!
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>The Jurassic is a period in the Mesozoic era, because we named them so. This system has a long history going back to the 17th century.
Jurassic park was a fictional movie, the geologic time of the Jurassic period is not. I'm not sure why you even bring up god, did god tell you there was no geologic period called Jurassic?

Australia

#164584 Apr 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you say so?
HA
That's right, because I say so.
Just like you say there is a God and you believe the NT though not the OT, is that right? And why do you believe? because you say so.

Australia

#164585 Apr 28, 2013
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
It would be you flailing around. The above post doesn't say "Jurassic Park" was a period of time. Maybe you should learn to read better. In fact read up on all that you've asked the above poster to explain to you "in there own words"!
If you don't understand that we have periods of time that have been named, then you have been reading a very silly book.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#164586 Apr 29, 2013
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>Where?
"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#164587 Apr 29, 2013
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
You pound your chest a lot while screaming, "It has been proven over and over that God exists!", but you never offer any proof, not even the smallest bit of evidence.
Thinking

Darlington, UK

#164588 Apr 29, 2013
Proof by iteration.

Do you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>Good. So, what is your point.
I am not trying to get you to believe in Kraken.
If you choose not to believe in Kraken, that is your choice.
Perhaps you will try Coyote.
See how easy,if those two don't suit you, I can present others to you.
Thinking

Darlington, UK

#164589 Apr 29, 2013
You look for purpose where there is none.
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#164592 Apr 29, 2013
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>Liar, you simply need to go find the evidence and you will not. If they do not have evidence and you thought them relevant,then you would debate them with those who believe.
What evidence do you have that Kraken is not real?
You throw that word "liar" around a lot. Why?
You realize it's not an argument, don't you?

And that disagreement does not constitute falsehood?

Besides, you're mistaken.

Produce evidence of any asserted deity, and of COURSE I'll have to consider it seriously.

Produce proof, and of COURSE I'll believe it.

Doesn't mean I won't immediately be joining the Resistance.

The Borderland of Sol

#164593 Apr 29, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
It is currently considered that roughly 1/3 of the world's population are considered Christian of all denominations, including RCs and RCs are considered to be over 1/2 of all. So if you remove the RCs and all the other denominations which don't follow your literal biblical interpretation, which many of the mainstream Protestants fall into, and then everyone else who might differ from your particular belief, and then take off the percentage of claimed people of faith which actually don't follow their faith, or at least don't practise the religion they were claimed to be part of, which seems to be around 80% to 90%(I am basing that of about 10% of the claimed members of my former denomination are actual church goers - that is Canada's largest Protestant denomination) of them, then the world population of what I would guess you accept as true Christians is quite small (possibly even as small as one person, being you). Would that be a close guess?
Yeah, he's even suspicious of the doctrinal purity of the guy in the next pew.

Cult-of-one.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#164595 Apr 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
See? This is why you're an atheist.
You're so ignorant of the bible you don't even know when it was written.
You could at least google it and pretend you know, before showing off your ignorance.
I did Google it, and that's the answer I got.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#164596 Apr 29, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
You give yourself too much credit, based on this post alone, it's plain to see you have zero education in any scientific field at all. Sad that you wasted your life.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#164597 Apr 29, 2013
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>Really, so when did you observe and document Pluto's orbit taking 231 years? Also, since no observation is needed, was it before or after they discovered that Pluto was not by definition a planet. Or, has your scientific illiteracy not get updated. You know, in this day and age of abundant and easily accessible information. Poor you :)
They didn't "discover" that Pluto wasn't a planet.

They "decided" it wasn't.

And using established mathematical and physical laws, it is very easy to extrapolate an entire orbit from measurements of a partial orbit.

Does it hurt to be stupid?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#164598 Apr 29, 2013
TRUTHS BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>Where is your proof that Jurassic is a period in the Mesozoic era?
That is definitional. The Mesozoic shows up as certain layers with certain qualities. The Jurassic is simply one section of those layers. It is characterized by, among other things, the dinosaurs that appear there.
I love how your clan wants proof but offers none. Yes, Jurassic Park was a movies, fiction, made up.
Yes, the movie Jurassic Park is fiction. But the animals it presented are based on facts (although liberties are certainly taken on how they acts).
It has been proven over and over that God exists, the documented evidence in all the books, all of the internet and there is empirical proof.
Empirical proof? Show it. You have none.
Now, where is your evidence of a period of time existing called Jurassic park?
http://www.ags.gov.ab.ca/publications/wcsb_at...
http://archive.org/details/cbarchive_133770_j...
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/17...
http://academiccommons.columbia.edu/catalog/a...

Google is your friend.
Huh? Gaseous explosions? WTF are you talking about?

The Borderland of Sol

#164599 Apr 29, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
They didn't "discover" that Pluto wasn't a planet.
They "decided" it wasn't.
And using established mathematical and physical laws, it is very easy to extrapolate an entire orbit from measurements of a partial orbit.
Does it hurt to be stupid?
Seems not.

If it did, he'd be smarter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 41 min scientia potentia... 467
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Hedonist Heretic 22,076
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Brian_G 51,188
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 6 hr Curt 11,390
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... 9 hr David 184
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 9 hr Hedonist Heretic 1,631
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 11 hr nanoanomaly 24,624
More from around the web