Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258480 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Bongo

Bronx, NY

#163714 Apr 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
So you must be an atheist since you spend so much time arguing with atheists!
Lmfao see how flawed your christhole logic is?
<quoted text>
You're prevaricating as usual. Ask anyone in here, I don't argue, I simply make fun of topix hatheists.
KJV

United States

#163715 Apr 18, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>It's amazing how religious these atheists are, and they don't even realize it.
There is a lot they don't realize.

It's alway a good time read their attempts at explaining their three great myths.
KJV

United States

#163716 Apr 18, 2013
Expert in all Things wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly!

Thanks madscot.
What is the universe?
How old is the universe?
What existed before the universe (Time)?

"The Universe is commonly defined as the totality of existence, including planets, stars, galaxies, the contents of intergalactic space, and all matter and energy.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe

Translate universe | into French | into German |into Italian | into Spanish
Definition of universe
noun
1 (the universe) all existing matter and space considered as a whole; the cosmos. The universe is believed to be at least 10 billion light years in diameter and contains a vast number of galaxies; it has been expanding since its creation in the Big Bang about 13 billion years ago.

Origin:
late Middle English: from Old French univers or Latin universum, neuter of universus 'combined into one, whole', from uni-'one'+ versus 'turned'(past participle of vertere)

universe in other Oxford dictionaries
Definition of universe in the US English dictionary

http://www.definitions.net/definition/univers...

universe, existence, creation, world, cosmos, macrocosm(noun)
everything that exists anywhere
"they study the evolution of the universe"; "the biggest tree in existence.

http://i.word.com/idictionary/universe

Main Entry: uni·verse
Pronunciation:\ˈyü-nə-ˌvə rs\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin universum, from neuter ofuniversus entire, whole, from uni-+versus turned toward, from past participle of vertere to turn — more at worth
Date: 14th century
1 : the whole body of things and phenomena observed or postulated :cosmos: as a : a systematic whole held to arise by and persist through the direct intervention of divine power b : the world of human experience c (1): the entire celestial cosmos (2): milky way galaxy (3):an aggregate of stars comparable to the Milky Way galaxy 2 : a distinct field or province of thought or reality that forms a closed system or self-inclusive and independent organization 3 : population 4 : a set that contains all elements relevant to a particular discussion or problem 5 : a great number or quantity <a large enough universe of stocks … to choose from — G. B. Clairmont>"

//////////

This article is about scientific estimates of the age of the universe.

The age of the universe is defined inphysical cosmology as the time elapsed since the Big Bang. The best estimate of the age of the universe, as of 22 March 2013, is 13.798 ± 0.037 billion years (4.351 ± 0.017 × 1017 seconds) within the Lambda-CDM concordance model. The uncertainty of 37 million years has been obtained by the agreement of a number of scientific research projects, such as microwave background radiation measurements by the Planck satellite, the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe and other probes. Measurements of the cosmic background radiation give the cooling timeof the universe since the Big Bang, and measurements of the expansion rate of the universe can be used to calculate its approximate age by extrapolating backwards in time.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_uni...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#163717 Apr 18, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the universe?
How old is the universe?
What existed before the universe (Time)?
"The Universe is commonly defined as the totality of existence, including planets, stars, galaxies, the contents of intergalactic space, and all matter and energy.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe
Translate universe | into French | into German |into Italian | into Spanish
Definition of universe
noun
1 (the universe) all existing matter and space considered as a whole; the cosmos. The universe is believed to be at least 10 billion light years in diameter and contains a vast number of galaxies; it has been expanding since its creation in the Big Bang about 13 billion years ago.
Origin:
late Middle English: from Old French univers or Latin universum, neuter of universus 'combined into one, whole', from uni-'one'+ versus 'turned'(past participle of vertere)
universe in other Oxford dictionaries
Definition of universe in the US English dictionary
http://www.definitions.net/definition/univers...
universe, existence, creation, world, cosmos, macrocosm(noun)
everything that exists anywhere
"they study the evolution of the universe"; "the biggest tree in existence.
http://i.word.com/idictionary/universe
Main Entry: uni·verse
Pronunciation:\ˈyü-nə-ˌvə rs\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin universum, from neuter ofuniversus entire, whole, from uni-+versus turned toward, from past participle of vertere to turn — more at worth
Date: 14th century
1 : the whole body of things and phenomena observed or postulated :cosmos: as a : a systematic whole held to arise by and persist through the direct intervention of divine power b : the world of human experience c (1): the entire celestial cosmos (2): milky way galaxy (3):an aggregate of stars comparable to the Milky Way galaxy 2 : a distinct field or province of thought or reality that forms a closed system or self-inclusive and independent organization 3 : population 4 : a set that contains all elements relevant to a particular discussion or problem 5 : a great number or quantity <a large enough universe of stocks … to choose from — G. B. Clairmont>"
//////////
This article is about scientific estimates of the age of the universe.
The age of the universe is defined inphysical cosmology as the time elapsed since the Big Bang. The best estimate of the age of the universe, as of 22 March 2013, is 13.798 ± 0.037 billion years (4.351 ± 0.017 × 1017 seconds) within the Lambda-CDM concordance model. The uncertainty of 37 million years has been obtained by the agreement of a number of scientific research projects, such as microwave background radiation measurements by the Planck satellite, the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe and other probes. Measurements of the cosmic background radiation give the cooling timeof the universe since the Big Bang, and measurements of the expansion rate of the universe can be used to calculate its approximate age by extrapolating backwards in time.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_uni...
Those "scientific estimates" are very likely to change, as they have so much in the past.

"scientific estimates" used to claim the Milky Way is the universe.

"scientific estimates" used to say the universe is infinite.

Then "scientific estimates" changed to say the universe is finite.

Then "scientific estimates" changed it back.

Don't get all hot & bothered over current "scientific estimates"....

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#163719 Apr 18, 2013
She still got an @ss don't she? Lol!

So upon your lies about her having cancer and now has no breasts... We will conduct the test with her @ss and yes you did claim to have a daughter a while back. Unable to keep up with your own lies I see.

This test will conclude for all conducting it that I do indeed have hands. I will even let her pop every one of my fingers in her mouth counting off each one of them to ten.

Now present a test for observable proof for god.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have a daughter and my wife's boobs are gone due to cancer.

Now what?

Prove you have hands, no hypothetical bullshit.

Just do it.

Easy enough, right?

Scottsburg, IN

#163720 Apr 18, 2013
Then by your own logic you are an atheist, unless you wish to remove your previous statement?
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>You're prevaricating as usual. Ask anyone in here, I don't argue, I simply make fun of topix hatheists.

Scottsburg, IN

#163721 Apr 18, 2013
I have already laid out the framework for a test proving I have hands. If that's not enough we can take a bet on it and have a doctor verify if I have them or not, care to go a few thousand on it?

If not your hand argument is soundly destroyed, now observable proof for god?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, ok, ok...

I'll prove God.

As soon as you prove you have hands.

Ready?
Go.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#163722 Apr 18, 2013
zander714 wrote:
<quoted text>
"If God suspended laws of physics to interact with this universe we would be able to detect it. "
How so?
Physics

Nunya

#163723 Apr 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh ya lol
OK, prove I'm not.
Do you have observable evidence that I'm not a book?
Books can't type.

Nunya

#163724 Apr 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh ya lol
OK, prove I'm not.
Do you have observable evidence that I'm not a book?
And the majority of books put forth intelligent concepts and ideas. You on the other hand...not so much.

Scottsburg, IN

#163725 Apr 18, 2013
Damn it topix make a slam dunk icon already!
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>And the majority of books put forth intelligent concepts and ideas. You on the other hand...not so much.

Nunya

#163726 Apr 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Damn it topix make a slam dunk icon already!
<quoted text>
Thank you! I'll be here all night.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#163727 Apr 18, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> You're prevaricating as usual. Ask anyone in here, I don't argue, I simply make fun of topix hatheists.
what here is a hat heist ?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#163728 Apr 19, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha Theist!
Thinking

Sheffield, UK

#163729 Apr 19, 2013
The act of stealing head wear.
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>

Scottsburg, IN

#163730 Apr 19, 2013
Is that a slang term for a baseball cap??
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>what here is a hat heist ?
Lincoln

United States

#163731 Apr 19, 2013
God Bless
and Watch over
Boston This Morning!

Lot of unity in America between Believers and Non Believers. An American tradition of tolerance

Scottsburg, IN

#163732 Apr 19, 2013
So we see as predicted the terrorists in Boston were theists, Islamic terrorists killing in the name of the god of Abraham.

One of these sniveling worms the has already blown himself up for his heavenly reward and the other is cowering and running away.

May someone catch or put down this subhuman swine before more innocent people are killed or hurt in his god inspired bloodlust.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#163733 Apr 19, 2013
Expert in all Things wrote:
<quoted text>
So, let me get this straight, you are claiming you can prove an idea by presenting a drawing?
Also you claim because you show someone that you can count, that proves the number 5?
Yes. A drawing shows that someone had the idea of the image in that drawing. So a drawing of a unicorn proves the existence of the *idea* of unicorns. It does not prove unicorns, only the idea of unicorns.

Yes, counting proves the existence of the *idea* of 5. The difference is that 5 *is* the idea. So someone counting to 5 shows that the *idea* of 5 exists.

In the case of unicorns, the unicorns do not actually exist (as far as we know), but the *idea* of unicorns definitely exists. But the number 5 is *only* an idea.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#163734 Apr 19, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
God Bless
and Watch over
Boston This Morning!
Lot of unity in America between Believers and Non Believers. An American tradition of tolerance
If God were watching over Boston at 3:00 on Marathon day, there would still be people alive and with arms and legs still attached. Another child killed under Gods watch. Why does God love to sit at watch children murdered? he did the3 same at Sandy Hook. So keep your ridiculous "buzz words" To yourself, I don't want any such evil being watching over me or my beloved city.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 41 min positronium 87,328
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Feb 17 superwilly 5,811
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Feb 14 ChristineM 4,032
Christianity almost did not happen Feb 12 Quatsch22 1
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Feb 12 dollarsbillmom 19
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Feb 10 superwilly 5,154
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Feb 9 Eagle 12 - 257
More from around the web