Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
155,241 - 155,260 of 224,558 Comments Last updated 22 min ago

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Humans invent designs all the time.
It's just as logical to say that humans were also designed.
Prove there's a designer (of humans).

One with intellect and intent.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

Hukt on Fonix wrote:
Prove there's a designer (of humans).
One with intellect and intent.
I can't. But that doesn't mean He isn't real.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Saw a show about the Higgs yesterday that said they really wanted to call it the goddamn particle, but that the media wouldn't like that.
I never understood why they wanted to call it the "god" particle, unlike god, they KNOW this particle exits, go figure!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I never understood why they wanted to call it the "god" particle, unlike god, they KNOW this particle exits, go figure!!!
They *think* it does.

"But after decades of work and billions of dollars spent, researchers at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, say they aren't quite ready to say they've "discovered" the particle.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/07/02/sci...
CunningLinguist

Windermere, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
They *think* it does.
"But after decades of work and billions of dollars spent, researchers at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, say they aren't quite ready to say they've "discovered" the particle.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/07/02/sci...
Relying on the Fox News Channel as your source of news is like using MAD Magazine as a legitimate source of news.

Fox News reporting style is so biased and skewed that trying to obtain any real information from a news report is quite challenging.

The GOP, is a traditionally dominant force in American politics. Since the inception of the nation, the Republican Party has stood for what are called conservative values. Over the centuries, however, the term conservative has changed quite a bit and now has transformed into political party focused on American superpower dominance, a corporate-controlled economy and Judeo-Christian ideals.

Controlling the news is obviously important to Murdoch's vision of the world. The Murdochian viewpoint is largely centered on obtaining money and power which is the ideology for which the Fox News stands.

Those who control the news also determine the public discourse. In the United States, Murdoch has obviously tapped into the political and social agenda championed by the Republican Party. The views of News Corp. and Fox News, however, are not the ones of the mainstream Republican Party, but those who reside on the far right-wing of the political spectrum.

The problem with the Fox News is NOT that it supports the Republican Party or conservative views. The problem is that Fox News distorts the news to serve its purpose so much, that fact and reality are lost in a sea of half-truths and innuendo.

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/networks/foxnews...

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't mean it isn't a “she” either.

Why do you refer to it as “He”?

You designed it to be a he.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't me arguing with you, Dave. What you say is valid. These are just my thoughts.
MS gets "hacked" more because it's more prominent.
If someone's going to write a piece of code... and their intent is to be as big a nuisance as possible... then what platform are they going to target?
The word "hack" has been butchered to mean something nefarious and wicked... when, really, all it means, in this context, is “one possessing skill” or “to demonstrate skill”.
With that being said... Linux is arguably the most "hacked" OS on the planet.
"Hacking" is what made Linux what it is.
The majority of people don't possess in-depth, intricate, technical understanding of computers and operating systems... they just use them.
So... the minority that does possess that sort of understanding gets labeled as “hackers”... then the meaning of the word acquires a stigma ... because the majority doesn't trust the minority.
Or something like that.
Not entirely accurate. Most web servers are, and have always been, a *nix OS. Linux and Unix are far more popular and common than most people realize, it's just impossible to accurately track anything that's free and Unix is so expensive many people settle for Linux.

The largest web systems are Linux, Google is a prime example. Not only is Google all on Linux, their desktops in the office are all Linux, and they have a service for Linux code. Sadly they prefer Ubuntu but meh, it's still Linux.

If people wanted to hack for useful information Linux would be the one to target, not Windows. The reason Windows has more viruses is because you can have the web browser write into the root directories, the "system" directory, and modify core libraries through even simple Javascript, thus allowing you to install anything into one of the libraries without a system's password. Modern ones tend to use Adobe Flash instead now, as it's even closer to the root system's libraries. With Linux, unless you randomly enter your su password at every single request for it, the worst you'll get is a script virus that will die once you close your browser down.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I never understood why they wanted to call it the "god" particle, unlike god, they KNOW this particle exits, go figure!!!
Actually, they wanted to call it the "god damn particle" but the publishers didn't think "damn" was a "good" word.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So then we can take any claim, of anything, to be real until proven otherwise. That is what you are proposing, anyone can make up any story about anything and everyone has to just accept it because you cannot prove it's not real.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Relying on the Fox News Channel as your source of news is like using MAD Magazine as a legitimate source of news.
Fox News reporting style is so biased and skewed that trying to obtain any real information from a news report is quite challenging.
The GOP, is a traditionally dominant force in American politics. Since the inception of the nation, the Republican Party has stood for what are called conservative values. Over the centuries, however, the term conservative has changed quite a bit and now has transformed into political party focused on American superpower dominance, a corporate-controlled economy and Judeo-Christian ideals.
Controlling the news is obviously important to Murdoch's vision of the world. The Murdochian viewpoint is largely centered on obtaining money and power which is the ideology for which the Fox News stands.
Those who control the news also determine the public discourse. In the United States, Murdoch has obviously tapped into the political and social agenda championed by the Republican Party. The views of News Corp. and Fox News, however, are not the ones of the mainstream Republican Party, but those who reside on the far right-wing of the political spectrum.
The problem with the Fox News is NOT that it supports the Republican Party or conservative views. The problem is that Fox News distorts the news to serve its purpose so much, that fact and reality are lost in a sea of half-truths and innuendo.
http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/networks/foxnews...
Oh you don't like Fox?

Shocker!

"The Higgs boson or Higgs particle is an elementary particle initially theorised in 1964,[6][7] and tentatively confirmed to exist on 14 March 2013"

"tentatively confirmed" is NOT confirmed.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Not entirely accurate. Most web servers are, and have always been, a *nix OS. Linux and Unix are far more popular and common than most people realize, it's just impossible to accurately track anything that's free and Unix is so expensive many people settle for Linux.
The largest web systems are Linux, Google is a prime example. Not only is Google all on Linux, their desktops in the office are all Linux, and they have a service for Linux code. Sadly they prefer Ubuntu but meh, it's still Linux.
If people wanted to hack for useful information Linux would be the one to target, not Windows. The reason Windows has more viruses is because you can have the web browser write into the root directories, the "system" directory, and modify core libraries through even simple Javascript, thus allowing you to install anything into one of the libraries without a system's password. Modern ones tend to use Adobe Flash instead now, as it's even closer to the root system's libraries. With Linux, unless you randomly enter your su password at every single request for it, the worst you'll get is a script virus that will die once you close your browser down.
Yeah... that's true.

There's are still more Win boxes on the planet that 'nix boxes.

A nefarious piece of code gets downloaded from a computer it can't harm to many computers it does harm.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

/that/than/

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So then we can take any claim, of anything, to be real until proven otherwise. That is what you are proposing, anyone can make up any story about anything and everyone has to just accept it because you cannot prove it's not real.
Bullshit.

You believe in black holes even though they have not been proven.

You believe in dark matter even though it has not been proven.

You believe that love exists, even though it has not been proven.

And you believe in evolution, even though it has never been proven either.

Don't give me that crap that nothing can be believable until it's proven.
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/networks/foxnews
/foxnews.html
Faux News

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah... that's true.
There's are still more Win boxes on the planet that 'nix boxes.
A nefarious piece of code gets downloaded from a computer it can't harm to many computers it does harm.
Granted, if the Windows users were a bit more computer literate they'd avoid malware on their machines. The sheer number though doesn't change the value of the information available, most users' computers are full of junk that's not even worth the effort to code malware for unless you just want to play script kiddy, that was my point on that matter. ;)

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Dogonit!

/There's/there/

BUSY!

Setting up Slackware.

Lemme alone.
Jimmy

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
you believe in god, and its been disproven. sounds like you're the one with the problem.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
So you ignored everything that has been explained to you, literally everything, about scientific information just so you can pretend that it's all equal to your believe that your imaginary friend is in charge of the universe. That's low, really low, and exceedingly dishonest.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
you believe in god, and its been disproven. sounds like you're the one with the problem.
God has been disproven?!?

HA HA !!

Please offer up your "evidence" of that.

(patiently waits for the evilbible.com proof...)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you ignored everything that has been explained to you, literally everything, about scientific information just so you can pretend that it's all equal to your believe that your imaginary friend is in charge of the universe. That's low, really low, and exceedingly dishonest.
No. I don't believe in your scientific fairy tales.

Black holes have never been scientifically observed, only their supposed effects.

Dark matter has never been scientifically observed, only it's supposed effects.

Emotions have never been scientifically proven to exist.

But go on, preach them like they have.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 9 min CunningLinguist 70,960
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 26 min Gillette 24
Introducing The Universal Religion 1 hr Patrick 737
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 1 hr Patrick 397
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr fadu singh 21,406
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr Electrical Engineer 842
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr Thinking 252
•••
•••