Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

LargeLanguage

Chester, UK

#161459 Mar 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I am their father. Nothing else is required.
Why because you are their father? That is a strong statement, I suppose you need to back it up.

Since: Sep 08

La Junta, CO

#161460 Mar 21, 2013
sanc·ti·mo·ni·ous
/?saNG(k)t?'mone?s/
Adjective
derogatory. Making a show of being morally superior to other people.

A trait Topix atheists possess in abundance.

Where they get it from is anyone's guess.

Maybe it is a package deal with their being as*holes?

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#161461 Mar 21, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You're talking to The Dave Nelson.
Did you have to use *designers* in that post?
Didn't have to use it... but, had no reason to not use it. What was being discussed merited use of the word. There are things that are designed. We know they're designed. We designed them.

My vocabulary is limited enough as it is. I'm not going further limit it due to another's nitpicking of various words it includes... and Dave didn't do that anyway... this time, with me.

=)

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#161462 Mar 21, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what you mean.
I cringe every time a biologist says some feature was designed to do something.
I just know there's some IDer out there saying "see. Even scientists say there's a designer", when that's not what he's talking about at all.
In that case... "evolved" would be the preferred term.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#161463 Mar 21, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the point descent OS does not need to be babied.
As said I the best of windows does not even close to Linux.
Golly!

Let people run whatever OS they're comfy with.

Windows appeals to some. That isn't OUR problem... it's theirs.

<snicker>

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#161464 Mar 21, 2013
LargeLanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Why because you are their father? That is a strong statement, I suppose you need to back it up.
I don't need to back that up, not to you anyway...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#161465 Mar 21, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
In that case... "evolved" would be the preferred term.
Semantics.

Is it really that important?

"Designed to breathe"
"Evolved to breathe"

sigh

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#161466 Mar 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Semantics.
Is it really that important?
"Designed to breathe"
"Evolved to breathe"
sigh
Yes, it is important.

Designers design.

Evolvers evolve.

We have no proof of a designer.

We have proof of evolvers.

That was easy.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#161467 Mar 21, 2013
... in a biological or cosmological sense of the word.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#161468 Mar 21, 2013
... words.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#161469 Mar 21, 2013
Both words apply in a technological sense.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#161470 Mar 21, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it is important.
Designers design.
Evolvers evolve.
We have no proof of a designer.
We have proof of evolvers.
That was easy.
Humans invent designs all the time.

It's just as logical to say that humans were also designed.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#161471 Mar 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually. Ubuntu has a pretty out of the box and easier to maintain system. Adding the restricted extras for playing all types media is the only thing you really have to do.
You can believe there are those who have tried to hack linux. It is the primary system for web servers. But you have a lot of eyes on the system, which helps to protect against being exploited.
Windows gets hacked because of the automation, particularly interfacing with the internet. It is all about enabling their enterprise customers for MS, not the end user. The weak spot is in the browsers, and how easy the system is to corrupt. Windows is automation. Why you have to reboot it so much on updates. A kernel update is about the only time you have to reboot linux after an update.
Linux is just a lot more careful about what it allows. You do have to enter passwords more often. Windows is geared for others to sell you products, and the hackers take advantage of that. Whistles, bells, and viruses.
This isn't me arguing with you, Dave. What you say is valid. These are just my thoughts.

MS gets "hacked" more because it's more prominent.

If someone's going to write a piece of code... and their intent is to be as big a nuisance as possible... then what platform are they going to target?

The word "hack" has been butchered to mean something nefarious and wicked... when, really, all it means, in this context, is “one possessing skill” or “to demonstrate skill”.

With that being said... Linux is arguably the most "hacked" OS on the planet.

"Hacking" is what made Linux what it is.

The majority of people don't possess in-depth, intricate, technical understanding of computers and operating systems... they just use them.

So... the minority that does possess that sort of understanding gets labeled as “hackers”... then the meaning of the word acquires a stigma ... because the majority doesn't trust the minority.

Or something like that.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#161472 Mar 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Humans invent designs all the time.
It's just as logical to say that humans were also designed.
Prove there's a designer (of humans).

One with intellect and intent.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#161473 Mar 21, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
Prove there's a designer (of humans).
One with intellect and intent.
I can't. But that doesn't mean He isn't real.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#161474 Mar 21, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Saw a show about the Higgs yesterday that said they really wanted to call it the goddamn particle, but that the media wouldn't like that.
I never understood why they wanted to call it the "god" particle, unlike god, they KNOW this particle exits, go figure!!!

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#161475 Mar 21, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I never understood why they wanted to call it the "god" particle, unlike god, they KNOW this particle exits, go figure!!!
They *think* it does.

"But after decades of work and billions of dollars spent, researchers at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, say they aren't quite ready to say they've "discovered" the particle.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/07/02/sci...
CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#161476 Mar 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
They *think* it does.
"But after decades of work and billions of dollars spent, researchers at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, say they aren't quite ready to say they've "discovered" the particle.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/07/02/sci...
Relying on the Fox News Channel as your source of news is like using MAD Magazine as a legitimate source of news.

Fox News reporting style is so biased and skewed that trying to obtain any real information from a news report is quite challenging.

The GOP, is a traditionally dominant force in American politics. Since the inception of the nation, the Republican Party has stood for what are called conservative values. Over the centuries, however, the term conservative has changed quite a bit and now has transformed into political party focused on American superpower dominance, a corporate-controlled economy and Judeo-Christian ideals.

Controlling the news is obviously important to Murdoch's vision of the world. The Murdochian viewpoint is largely centered on obtaining money and power which is the ideology for which the Fox News stands.

Those who control the news also determine the public discourse. In the United States, Murdoch has obviously tapped into the political and social agenda championed by the Republican Party. The views of News Corp. and Fox News, however, are not the ones of the mainstream Republican Party, but those who reside on the far right-wing of the political spectrum.

The problem with the Fox News is NOT that it supports the Republican Party or conservative views. The problem is that Fox News distorts the news to serve its purpose so much, that fact and reality are lost in a sea of half-truths and innuendo.

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/networks/foxnews...

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#161477 Mar 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't. But that doesn't mean He isn't real.
Doesn't mean it isn't a “she” either.

Why do you refer to it as “He”?

You designed it to be a he.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#161478 Mar 21, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't me arguing with you, Dave. What you say is valid. These are just my thoughts.
MS gets "hacked" more because it's more prominent.
If someone's going to write a piece of code... and their intent is to be as big a nuisance as possible... then what platform are they going to target?
The word "hack" has been butchered to mean something nefarious and wicked... when, really, all it means, in this context, is “one possessing skill” or “to demonstrate skill”.
With that being said... Linux is arguably the most "hacked" OS on the planet.
"Hacking" is what made Linux what it is.
The majority of people don't possess in-depth, intricate, technical understanding of computers and operating systems... they just use them.
So... the minority that does possess that sort of understanding gets labeled as “hackers”... then the meaning of the word acquires a stigma ... because the majority doesn't trust the minority.
Or something like that.
Not entirely accurate. Most web servers are, and have always been, a *nix OS. Linux and Unix are far more popular and common than most people realize, it's just impossible to accurately track anything that's free and Unix is so expensive many people settle for Linux.

The largest web systems are Linux, Google is a prime example. Not only is Google all on Linux, their desktops in the office are all Linux, and they have a service for Linux code. Sadly they prefer Ubuntu but meh, it's still Linux.

If people wanted to hack for useful information Linux would be the one to target, not Windows. The reason Windows has more viruses is because you can have the web browser write into the root directories, the "system" directory, and modify core libraries through even simple Javascript, thus allowing you to install anything into one of the libraries without a system's password. Modern ones tend to use Adobe Flash instead now, as it's even closer to the root system's libraries. With Linux, unless you randomly enter your su password at every single request for it, the worst you'll get is a script virus that will die once you close your browser down.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Frindly 84,078
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 7 min Rose_NoHo 3,367
News BILL-BORED: Get Ready For Atheists' Annual Use ... Fri Eagle 12 - 9
News Scientist Richard Dawkins weighs in on Malaysia... Thu Eagle 12 - 6
High School Atheism Thu blacklagoon 3 41
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Wed Eagle 12 - 4,965
Where have all the Atheists gone? (Apr '17) Wed Eagle 12 - 132
More from around the web