Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256094 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#161374 Mar 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The original topic was about c and its relativity to cosmology.
Light let loose in the wild ass universe. Does it follow "the law" as dictated by men?
Or something like that.
My original topic was optics.

The speed of light through a vacuum has never been observed to be anything other than what it is... 1c.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#161375 Mar 20, 2013
Actually...

My original topic was a hypothetical non-rotating black hole.

The topic switched to optics.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#161376 Mar 20, 2013
Movie time.

Back later.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#161377 Mar 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Errr....
Err.........Is that your answer? It was a completely reasonable question to ask. You are the one claiming the event, I asked a simple question, are you NOT able to justify the experience?

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#161378 Mar 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, but how would you know if you're in control if it's just making you do what you want to do?
I'm just playing an existential game is all, fun, nothing more. ;)
Your right by gosh, My stomach seems to be in control of the entire universe. It makes me do things against my will!:)
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#161379 Mar 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Dr Phil.
But you're wrong.
You don't know me, why are you psychoanalyzing me like you do?
Is being disingenuous common for you?
Smacking your kids is ALL I need to know about you. I'll repeat, for the hard of hearing......When you raise children with love and understanding, hitting your children become totally unnecessary!!!!......Got it????

Now....show me were I'm "Wrong." No, No, I'm not talking about then law of the mountain hillbilly, I'm talking about how civilized people raise their children, apparently there is a huge difference.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#161380 Mar 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
bohart wrote:
Ohh! truthfully, how many kids do you have?
<quoted text>
lol
O_o
You don't believe I have two children? Both very successful, both Atheists....of their own choosing!!!! I actually brought them to church for special occasions, Easter and Christmas, just to pacify their mother who was a devout Catholic, so they had plenty of opportunity to see the other side of the argument. I guess the abandoned unrealistic beliefs when they reach the age of reason.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#161381 Mar 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Err.........Is that your answer? It was a completely reasonable question to ask. You are the one claiming the event, I asked a simple question, are you NOT able to justify the experience?
You consider that a "reasonable question"?

"What kind of window does God use?"

O_o

Seriously dude, you got problems if you think that's a reasonable question.

The experience I had with God has nothing to do with how He got in the room......

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#161382 Mar 20, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
Actually...
My original topic was a hypothetical non-rotating black hole.
The topic switched to optics.
http://scitechdaily.com/black-hole-and-red-dw...

A back hole.

Note the orbiting the barycenter, even though these are just 1 million clicks apart.

I've posted about that before.

Also note they are orbiting that point and not heading directly toward each other. The black hole is times the mass of our sun, and the star is 20% of our sun. About 1 million km, or 600,000 miles apart. Mercury is 28.5 million miles from the sun.

I've also posted about other forces at work keeping such celestial objects from crashing besides momentum.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#161383 Mar 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
*thumbs through the atheist handbook*
*AHA!*
You just don't understand.
You're absolutely correct, I'll never understand a supposed intelligent human being, so indoctrinated in religious beliefs that he thinks mythical being react in the physical realm. And please remember what constitutes a myth.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#161384 Mar 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You consider that a "reasonable question"?
"What kind of window does God use?"
O_o
Seriously dude, you got problems if you think that's a reasonable question.
The experience I had with God has nothing to do with how He got in the room......
Then how did he get into the room?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#161385 Mar 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Smacking your kids is ALL I need to know about you.
Ah, so you a know-it-all?
I'll repeat, for the hard of hearing......When you raise children with love and understanding, hitting your children become totally unnecessary!!!!......Got it????
No.

I think you meant "becomes"...
Now....show me were I'm "Wrong."
You're wrong in that you think your opinion in the matter is factual and absolute.
No, No, I'm not talking about then law of the mountain hillbilly,
Eh?
I'm talking about how civilized people raise their children, apparently there is a huge difference.
Ah... Because my Topix screen name says "redneck" on it, you assume I'm not civilized.

You probably think I'm toothless, live in a trailer, wear suspenders, have a fat wife, stupid children, etc, etc.

Basically you ASSume all the redneck jokes are me.

You're so fucking gullible.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#161386 Mar 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You don't believe I have two children? Both very successful, both Atheists....of their own choosing!!!! I actually brought them to church for special occasions, Easter and Christmas, just to pacify their mother who was a devout Catholic, so they had plenty of opportunity to see the other side of the argument. I guess the abandoned unrealistic beliefs when they reach the age of reason.
There's that atheist ego, shining brightly.

"Both very successful, both Atheists"

HA HA !!!

Like their success or failure really matters if they're atheists or not...

I don't care if you say your a good parent or not and I will NOT assume and stereotype you as you have done to me.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#161387 Mar 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Then how did he get into the room?
Dude, God didn't "get" in the room.

He's always in the room.

Right now, yesterday, tomorrow, every room, everywhere.

Omnipresent: present everywhere at the same time.

If it helps you, think of God like time. You can't escape it, you can't beat it, you can't get away from it and even if you don't notice, it's there. Always. Everywhere.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#161388 Mar 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Then how did he get into the room?
Via space?
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#161389 Mar 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, so you a know-it-all?
<quoted text>
No.
I think you meant "becomes"...
<quoted text>
You're wrong in that you think your opinion in the matter is factual and absolute.
<quoted text>
Eh?
<quoted text>
Ah... Because my Topix screen name says "redneck" on it, you assume I'm not civilized.
You probably think I'm toothless, live in a trailer, wear suspenders, have a fat wife, stupid children, etc, etc.
Basically you ASSume all the redneck jokes are me.
You're so fucking gullible.
Cool, thanks for clearing that up for me. Yeah, I figured you were all of those things given your lack of scientific education. Sorry about the fat wife, quite letting her cook possum every night, very fattening I hear.

It's actually not my opinion, phycologist will tell you striking your child is a very bad idea. My NOT striking my children had nothing to do with what phycologists say, it just didn't feel right to me. I guess it feels GOOD to you. What does that say about you hillbilly? BTW, what size is your trailer?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#161390 Mar 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Cool, thanks for clearing that up for me. Yeah, I figured you were all of those things given your lack of scientific education. Sorry about the fat wife, quite letting her cook possum every night, very fattening I hear.
It's actually not my opinion, phycologist will tell you striking your child is a very bad idea. My NOT striking my children had nothing to do with what phycologists say, it just didn't feel right to me. I guess it feels GOOD to you. What does that say about you hillbilly? BTW, what size is your trailer?
You're so stupid. You can't see sarcasm, can you?

My wife isn't fat, she's 5'7", 153 lbs, blonde hair, hazel eyes. She's a knockout, to me anyway. I live in a home on one acre, I have 2 kids, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 horses & an African Gray parrot. I have 3 vehicles, a truck, a car & an SUV. I live in a modest home that we are happy with, just 1200 sq ft, but our yard is enormous and that's just what we want - little house, big yard. I also have a 850 sq ft garage with drive thru doors (front and back), rv parking, two sliding gates (yard is 100% fenced & private) and a well in the backyard. My kids are very smart, they're both above a 3.5 GPA and are on the honor roll at a school.

My life is great, for me.

I'm sorry that yours is so miserable to seek to project your anger on an anonymous website under an anonymous name...
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#161391 Mar 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There's that atheist ego, shining brightly.
"Both very successful, both Atheists"
HA HA !!!
Like their success or failure really matters if they're atheists or not...
I don't care if you say your a good parent or not and I will NOT assume and stereotype you as you have done to me.
I do think that being Atheists certainly contributed to some small degree on their success. That feeling of being a worthless sinner never entered into the equation. There is something to be said about NOT feeling your life has no meaning without a God thing in it. If I taught them anything it was how important it was to have as many true beliefs as possible, and to discard those beliefs that were NOT true. Without all the excess baggage, they can concentrate on developing a strong sense of pride in their accomplishments. It's amazing how wonderful the world can be without the thoughts of a celestial dictator peering into your most private thoughts 24/7. How do you people finds any joy in life is beyond me!!!!

Since: Mar 11

United States

#161392 Mar 20, 2013
Atheism isn't required to see your vast ignorance. I wonder if you ever realize how poorly educated you make yourself look on here.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>*thumbs through the atheist handbook*

*AHA!*

You just don't understand.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#161393 Mar 20, 2013
So no observable evidence for god yes Dave?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text> http://scitechdaily.com/black-hole-and-red-dw...

A back hole.

Note the orbiting the barycenter, even though these are just 1 million clicks apart.

I've posted about that before.

Also note they are orbiting that point and not heading directly toward each other. The black hole is times the mass of our sun, and the star is 20% of our sun. About 1 million km, or 600,000 miles apart. Mercury is 28.5 million miles from the sun.

I've also posted about other forces at work keeping such celestial objects from crashing besides momentum.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 17 min It aint necessari... 16,325
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 42 min Chimney1 40,799
A Universe from Nothing? 1 hr Eagle 12 83
Who Is Satan The Devil? Is He Real? (Jan '16) 4 hr Reason Personified 26
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 8 hr Into The Night 274
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 9 hr Mikko 3,771
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 13 hr _Susan_ 20,620
More from around the web