Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#161052 Mar 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Do you beat your children?
<quoted text>
Never.

I used to spank them, but I've never beaten them.

You?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#161053 Mar 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
And Jesus walked on water!
Fiction is fun ya?
<quoted text>
Lol, ya sure...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#161054 Mar 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Well he does live in the trailer park after all.
<quoted text>
Fiction is fun, huh?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#161055 Mar 18, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
It's been pointed out to RR several times now, that in my first post to him... the one that started him ranting... it was stipulated that light's speed is medium dependent... in the SAME sentence.
Liar.

Your first sentence was:

"The speed of light is constant."

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#161056 Mar 18, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I should also point out that there are materials where the index of refraction depends on *direction* through the material. Or where the index of refraction is different for different polarities of light. Calcite is an example of the latter. That is why it can be used to separate polarities.
In other words, in addition to uniformity (properties are the same at all locations), you also need isotropy (conditions are the same in all directions).
Polarized lenses!

I like this video...

An analogy is floating around somewhere where a length of rope passes through vertical porch rails. If the rope is “oscillated” at one end... waves will travel to the other end... but, only when the oscillations are vertical. The rails stop the waves if the rope is oscillated horizontally, and stops the horizontal component of the motion imparted to the rope is circular... but, allows the vertical component to pass.
Water at constant density satisfies these properties, though.
=)
Finally, E&M fields can affect the index of refraction, so you would also need a uniform E&M field in the material (before the light comes through). Although that could also be put into the uniformity and isotropy conditions.
=(

Can my water actually exist... at all... ever?
No problem. It's nice to have someone who actually wants to learn.
Did those animations at the wiki site help at all? I particularly liked the one where the phase and group velocities were in opposite directions.
Yes!
Another way to look at the difference is that phase velocity is how fast the peaks move in a 'carrier' of constant frequency and amplitude. Group (more specifically, signal) velocity is how fast *changes* in frequency or amplitude can move. Since we need to change the carrier wave to form a signal, it is the latter that is relevant for communication (and also the one limited by c).
Lemme play around, inside my head, and try to throw something together, in my own words... and we'll go from there.

Thanks again.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#161057 Mar 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar.
Your first sentence was:
"The speed of light is constant."
Who's a liar?

See paragraph 6...
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...

You're never going to learn, are you, RR?

Don't call me a liar. Thus far, EVERY SINGLE TIME you have, it's bit you in your arse.

Have I ever called you a liar?

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#161058 Mar 18, 2013
Paragraph 8, in the post linked to above, also contains stipulation pertaining to the consistency of light's speed.

Here's your response, RR...

Notice how you ignored, virtually, the whole post... and latched onto that one little part of it.

I don't expect or even want an apology. The truth is, I'm about done with ya. You're nothing but a waste of time.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#161059 Mar 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, Mr CherryPicker....

That's like saying "That was good food!" is incomplete because I didn't specify why.
Bullish!t.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#161060 Mar 18, 2013
LargeLanguage wrote:
<quoted text>If it can't be seen, how do you know it exists?
Because the only thing with enough mass to swing stars around like that that could fit into the area outlined by those stars is a black hole.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#161061 Mar 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Never.
I used to spank them, but I've never beaten them.
You?
In Sweden spanking is against the law and is seen as assault

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#161062 Mar 18, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's a liar?
See paragraph 6...
You're never going to learn, are you, RR?
Don't call me a liar. Thus far, EVERY SINGLE TIME you have, it's bit you in your arse.
Have I ever called you a liar?
m

M'kay there, sweet cheeks.

You've linked the wrong post and you know it. You're being disingenuous and you're still lying.

Here's the post we've been discussing, the 9th one on the page.

http://m.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/TUG...

Your first line is:
"Light's speed is constant."

You ain't the only one that can google Topix....

Liar.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#161063 Mar 18, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
Paragraph 8, in the post linked to above, also contains stipulation pertaining to the consistency of light's speed.
Here's your response, RR...
Notice how you ignored, virtually, the whole post... and latched onto that one little part of it.
I don't expect or even want an apology. The truth is, I'm about done with ya. You're nothing but a waste of time.
Sorry, pal. The goalposts are fixed.

Liar.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#161064 Mar 18, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
In Sweden spanking is against the law and is seen as assault
Who gives a f_ck?

It's not illegal or immoral in America.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#161065 Mar 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>That's awesome. Bless those people, man. 16 years of research...

Now they really think they've located a black hole.

If only there was a way to detect it & prove them right.
Like your god.

Only difference is, the black hole provides evidence.

Unlike your god.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#161066 Mar 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's awesome. Bless those people, man. 16 years of research...
Now they really think they've located a black hole.
If only there was a way to detect it & prove them right.
We can see the orbits of the nearby stars around this object (this is how we know it is there). We know it is emitting no light. We know it is incredibly massive (around 4 million solar masses). We know it is in a very small space (within 6.5 light hours). That fits *all* the requirements for a black hole. We are even measuring the distortion of space around it by the precession of the orbits of the stars. There is no alternative theory that explains the observations.

What, in your mind, is required to 'detect' a black hole?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#161067 Mar 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Fox News... Why am I not surprised an you claim not to use Fox News lol!

Regardless did you have a point with any of this or were you just as usual humiliating yourself with your reject opinions?
You should watch the oreilly video.

Oreilly makes a total ass of himself.

"The tide goes in. The tide goes out. We don't know how it happens. "

Thanks, RR.

That was a treat.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#161068 Mar 18, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Like your god.
Only difference is, the black hole provides evidence.
Unlike your god.
Our scientific technology is pretty damn weak.

Our senses trump science every time.

Try it.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#161069 Mar 18, 2013
Colorado Chick wrote:
THEY..have to have FAITH in their mindset.of WHY they DON'T believe in GOD..they have to have the strength to PROVE their isn"t a GOD..WHO CREATED ALL..I betcha they get more angry at fightin' for their beliefs..BECAUSE..THEY KNOW..that GOD truly does exist..BUT, they want PROOF!!! They literally want HIM or his SON Jesus to perform a MIRACLE right before their eyes...THEN, and ONLY then..WILL they BELIEVE that GOD exists..
I tried to believe.

Then I pretended to believe.

Then I accepted the truth.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#161070 Mar 18, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Understood.
How about changing it to read "in a uniform medium" and "for specific frequencies"?
I.E., light speed does not just vary randomly, which is what RR's statement could be read as, though I understand that that's not what he means.
He doesn't afford the same understanding to any of us.
I think it would highly depend on the medium and it's particular qualities, especially and specially concerning their reflective and absorption as well as the mix of these qualities added with the gravity and in addition to the particulars of the uni-graphical distribution of elements within the xyz axis of the area in question. There are other factors also, but since planets themselves are or seem to be not unlike snowflakes, then regions of space between them should be considered the same , and hardy predictable or even a constant. In short I think space/time regions are as unique as everything else we have found.

Not saying we can't find a system to classify the mapping of interstellar space and the particulars to each one.
But I am saying it may be found to be not unlike the terrain of any planet we have explored, mysterious and strange in every avenue of discovery.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#161071 Mar 18, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
We can see the orbits of the nearby stars around this object (this is how we know it is there). We know it is emitting no light. We know it is incredibly massive (around 4 million solar masses). We know it is in a very small space (within 6.5 light hours). That fits *all* the requirements for a black hole. We are even measuring the distortion of space around it by the precession of the orbits of the stars. There is no alternative theory that explains the observations.
What, in your mind, is required to 'detect' a black hole?
As I've said, detecting a things supposed effects is not the same as detecting that thing.

I think it's great that we're able to do that kind of stuff, but to jump to grandiose conclusions just seems arrogant & premature to me.

How do they know it's massive? They can't see it or detect it in any way.

They've been looking at it through an telescope, an awesome telescope, for 16 years. Tell me, how much data could you collect from staring at a rock for 16 years? A bird? A human? A car?

Not a whole lot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Even Steven 2,607
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Morse 23,241
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 2 hr Richardfs 166
God' existence 3 hr polymath257 84
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 7 hr Mikko 5
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 7 hr Mikko 1,452
Evidence for God! 8 hr Morse 369
More from around the web