Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

#161044 Mar 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Love cannot be seen, but we know it exists.
Fear cannot be seen, but we know it exists.
Black holes cannot be seen, but we know they exist.
God cannot be seen, but we know He exists.
But they can be felt, which proves they exist. And feelings can be described, as well as love.
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

#161045 Mar 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Do you beat your children?
<quoted text>
He used to. He doesn't regret it.

He spanked one of his sons when he was only 6 months old, and his child couldn't even talk.
He spanked one of his sons at 2, and his child cried while being spanked, "I hate you, I hate you".

He even refered to children as bastards, and thinks tells us to deal with kids by "smacking the little bastard in the jaw".

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#161046 Mar 18, 2013
And Jesus walked on water!

Fiction is fun ya?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You know that Romulan ships uses a forced quantum singularity as a power source?

Super cool.

Until aliens try to use it as a nest...

Lexington, KY

#161047 Mar 18, 2013
Your opinion as a believer is to be expected. Dawkins always seems very soft spoken and humble. Your lot makes him out to be Sam Kinison or something.

Just because you are unable to prove him wrong doesn't mean he's arrogant just that you are ignorant.

Oh and by the way he amassed his fortune from hi scientific work and still does. His speaking engagements are frosting on the cake.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, the point is that Dick Dawkins is an arrogant prick that spreads his assumptions so that dumb asses like you can help him make his fortune.

And I never said I don't use Fox News, I said I've only posted them once or twice.

Lexington, KY

#161048 Mar 18, 2013
Well he does live in the trailer park after all.
LargeLanguage wrote:
<quoted text>He used to. He doesn't regret it. He spanked his boy at 6 months old who couldn't talk.

He even spanked his son at 2, and he said to rr, "I hate you, i hate you", when he spanked him.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#161049 Mar 18, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not wrong.
Incomplete, maybe, but not wrong.
Your statements, that the speed of light varies, are equally incomplete, so by your own admission they are also wrong.
Your statements that the speed of light varies, should read something like, depending on the medium, or when going from one medium to another.
When light is travelling in a single medium, its speed does not vary. It is only "c" in a vacuum, but its speed will be constant for each medium it travels in.
You can admit you were wrong now.
It's been pointed out to RR several times now, that in my first post to him... the one that started him ranting... it was stipulated that light's speed is medium dependent... in the SAME sentence.

It's also worth mentioning that the post was me participating in a separate discussion... where RR was wrong about some things he read elsewhere. There was no question that he misunderstood what he read... so, rather than accept that he was wrong, he decided he'd attempt evasion.

It's how he rolls...

... into a wall.

Lexington, KY

#161050 Mar 18, 2013
Lmfao! Sit down child before you hurt yourself.

Until there is some kind of observable proof for god us reasonable people will not believe.

My apologies to your imaginary friend, god.
Colorado Chick wrote:
THEY..have to have FAITH in their mindset.of WHY they DON'T believe in GOD..they have to have the strength to PROVE their isn"t a GOD..WHO CREATED ALL..I betcha they get more angry at fightin' for their beliefs..BECAUSE..THEY KNOW..that GOD truly does exist..BUT, they want PROOF!!! They literally want HIM or his SON Jesus to perform a MIRACLE right before their eyes...THEN, and ONLY then..WILL they BELIEVE that GOD exists..
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#161051 Mar 18, 2013
Colorado Chick wrote:
THEY..have to have FAITH in their mindset.of WHY they DON'T believe in GOD..they have to have the strength to PROVE their isn"t a GOD..WHO CREATED ALL..I betcha they get more angry at fightin' for their beliefs..BECAUSE..THEY KNOW..that GOD truly does exist..BUT, they want PROOF!!! They literally want HIM or his SON Jesus to perform a MIRACLE right before their eyes...THEN, and ONLY then..WILL they BELIEVE that GOD exists..
I would settle for a simple visit to my home.
NO! I do not want another burning bush in my front yard!

God is 'everywhere' so I've been told, he just can't seem to find my patio and stop by for a beer. I would even settle for his son but he is also a no-show.

After all, this isn't too much to ask.

He listens to every prayer and knows every thought and dream doesn't he?

Harump... He shoulda been here years ago!

I gave all of the Gods 'a shot'... none of em showed up!
And...I have great beer, from Germany and Belgium!

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#161052 Mar 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Do you beat your children?
<quoted text>
Never.

I used to spank them, but I've never beaten them.

You?

Location hidden

#161053 Mar 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
And Jesus walked on water!
Fiction is fun ya?
<quoted text>
Lol, ya sure...

Location hidden

#161054 Mar 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Well he does live in the trailer park after all.
<quoted text>
Fiction is fun, huh?

Location hidden

#161055 Mar 18, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
It's been pointed out to RR several times now, that in my first post to him... the one that started him ranting... it was stipulated that light's speed is medium dependent... in the SAME sentence.
Liar.

Your first sentence was:

"The speed of light is constant."

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#161056 Mar 18, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I should also point out that there are materials where the index of refraction depends on *direction* through the material. Or where the index of refraction is different for different polarities of light. Calcite is an example of the latter. That is why it can be used to separate polarities.
In other words, in addition to uniformity (properties are the same at all locations), you also need isotropy (conditions are the same in all directions).
Polarized lenses!

I like this video...

An analogy is floating around somewhere where a length of rope passes through vertical porch rails. If the rope is “oscillated” at one end... waves will travel to the other end... but, only when the oscillations are vertical. The rails stop the waves if the rope is oscillated horizontally, and stops the horizontal component of the motion imparted to the rope is circular... but, allows the vertical component to pass.
Water at constant density satisfies these properties, though.
=)
Finally, E&M fields can affect the index of refraction, so you would also need a uniform E&M field in the material (before the light comes through). Although that could also be put into the uniformity and isotropy conditions.
=(

Can my water actually exist... at all... ever?
No problem. It's nice to have someone who actually wants to learn.
Did those animations at the wiki site help at all? I particularly liked the one where the phase and group velocities were in opposite directions.
Yes!
Another way to look at the difference is that phase velocity is how fast the peaks move in a 'carrier' of constant frequency and amplitude. Group (more specifically, signal) velocity is how fast *changes* in frequency or amplitude can move. Since we need to change the carrier wave to form a signal, it is the latter that is relevant for communication (and also the one limited by c).
Lemme play around, inside my head, and try to throw something together, in my own words... and we'll go from there.

Thanks again.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#161057 Mar 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar.
Your first sentence was:
"The speed of light is constant."
Who's a liar?

See paragraph 6...
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...

You're never going to learn, are you, RR?

Don't call me a liar. Thus far, EVERY SINGLE TIME you have, it's bit you in your arse.

Have I ever called you a liar?

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#161058 Mar 18, 2013
Paragraph 8, in the post linked to above, also contains stipulation pertaining to the consistency of light's speed.

Here's your response, RR...

Notice how you ignored, virtually, the whole post... and latched onto that one little part of it.

I don't expect or even want an apology. The truth is, I'm about done with ya. You're nothing but a waste of time.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#161059 Mar 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, Mr CherryPicker....

That's like saying "That was good food!" is incomplete because I didn't specify why.
Bullish!t.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#161060 Mar 18, 2013
LargeLanguage wrote:
<quoted text>If it can't be seen, how do you know it exists?
Because the only thing with enough mass to swing stars around like that that could fit into the area outlined by those stars is a black hole.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#161061 Mar 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Never.
I used to spank them, but I've never beaten them.
You?
In Sweden spanking is against the law and is seen as assault

Location hidden

#161062 Mar 18, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's a liar?
See paragraph 6...
You're never going to learn, are you, RR?
Don't call me a liar. Thus far, EVERY SINGLE TIME you have, it's bit you in your arse.
Have I ever called you a liar?
m

M'kay there, sweet cheeks.

You've linked the wrong post and you know it. You're being disingenuous and you're still lying.

Here's the post we've been discussing, the 9th one on the page.

http://m.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/TUG...

Your first line is:
"Light's speed is constant."

You ain't the only one that can google Topix....

Liar.

Location hidden

#161063 Mar 18, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
Paragraph 8, in the post linked to above, also contains stipulation pertaining to the consistency of light's speed.
Here's your response, RR...
Notice how you ignored, virtually, the whole post... and latched onto that one little part of it.
I don't expect or even want an apology. The truth is, I'm about done with ya. You're nothing but a waste of time.
Sorry, pal. The goalposts are fixed.

Liar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 4 min Carchar king 458
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 min Thinking 22,209
Stump a theist with 2 questions 21 min NightSerf 30
Why I have rejected ATHEISM because of the JEWS 46 min Siro 2
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 7 hr CunningLinguist 48
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 13 hr Patrick 925
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 18 hr True Christian wi... 4,086
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE