Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
154,581 - 154,600 of 226,378 Comments Last updated 41 min ago

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#160802 Mar 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's in an open vacuum, it doesn't vary.
But if it hits a nebula or speck of space dust, it varies.
Good, now we are getting somewhere. Now, by how much will the speed of light vary as it goes through, say, the Orion nebula? I will accept a ball-park percentage.

Would it be as much as the speed varies as light goes through, say, air?

Recall that air has a refractive index of 1.000293, so the decrease in the speed of light through air is about .03% from that in a vacuum. For helium (at standard pressure and temperature) the reduction is about .004%.

Just so you have a picture:

http://www.spacetelescope.org/static/archives...
LargeLanguage

Chester, UK

#160803 Mar 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good, now we are getting somewhere. Now, by how much will the speed of light vary as it goes through, say, the Orion nebula? I will accept a ball-park percentage.
Recall that air has a refractive index of 1.000293, so the decrease in the speed of light through air is about .03% from that in a vacuum. For helium (at standard pressure and temperature) the reduction is about .004%.
Explain the math, sock puppet of Richardfs.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#160804 Mar 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean "getting somewhere"?

All I've been saying is that the speed of light is not constant.

And all y'all ignorabt atheists have to argue that FACT.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#160805 Mar 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The latter, you'll end up, after 30 days, with over 5.3 million.
The first is correct. The second is off by over a factor of 2.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#160806 Mar 17, 2013
LargeLanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain the math, sock puppet of Richardfs.
Nothing to explain. The refractive index is the ratio between the speed of light in a vacuum and the speed of light in the medium being discussed.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#160807 Mar 17, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
And I'm trying to talk about speeds a significant fraction of the speed of light-relativistic speeds. Where the actual mass of the object increases-not just its effects.
That is the point, isn't it?

As an object's speed approaches that of light, its mass approaches infinity... meaning infinite energy is required to attain light-speed... for something consisting of matter.

In principle, the object can continue to accelerate, indefinitely... but, it will only approach light-speed... and never attain it (asymptotic approach).

We are talking relativistic speeds... but, we don't have to be. Anytime energy is "pumped" into an object, the object's mass is increased (mass-energy equivalence).

By that principle... a compressed spring "weighs" more than the same spring when relaxed.
Imhotep

United States

#160808 Mar 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Woah, woah, woah there lil doggie...
"the most non-religious countries in the world" ?!?
-Norway
" 80% of the population belong to the Church of Norway"
(and Christianity has been rising in Norway at about 230% since 2000)
-Sweden
"As of 2011, about 68.8% of Swedish citizens are members of the Church of Sweden"
-Finland
"77.2% of the population are members of the main state church, the Lutheran Church of Finland"
----
Whoever wrote your "facts" is full of shit.
Try harder
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_No...

In modern times Norway – like many European countries – has seen a great decline in religiosity, at least among non-immigrant Norwegian endemics, and most Norwegians are irreligious: atheism and agnosticism are the most common metaphysical views.

According to the most recent Eurobarometer Poll 2010,

22% of Norwegian citizens responded that "they believe there is a God".
44% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force".
29% answered that "they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, God, or life force".
5% answered that they "do not know".

Phil Zuckerman, an Associate Professor of Sociology at Pitzer College estimates atheism rates in Norway as ranging from 31 to 72%, based on various studies.

Religion in Sweden
While Sweden is a very secular nation, the many church buildings across the country bear witness to the long historical presence of the Christian faith. The Church of Sweden — separated from the state since 2000 — is an Evangelical Lutheran church. Up to 7 million people living in Sweden are members of the Church of Sweden, which coexists with many other beliefs.

According to studies, however, only one in ten Swedes thinks religion is important in daily life. In many ways religion plays a different role because many Swedish traditions have religious roots: Christmas, Fat Tuesday, Easter and All Saints Day, to name a few. Swedes are enthusiastic about tradition, so even if the origins of certain customs are forgotten, the customs themselves are still kept alive.

Despite that, religiosity in Sweden plays a limited role compared to the European average. In a Eurobarometer Poll in 2010, just 18% of Swedish citizens responded that "they believe there is a god". In a 2009 Gallup poll, 17% answered yes to the question "Is religion an important part of your daily life?".Less than 4% of the Church of Sweden membership attends public worship during an average week; about 2% are regular attendees.

Some scholars consider the nation to be a place where religion is regarded with “benign indifference”.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Sw...

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#160809 Mar 17, 2013
Your date and fiancé Buck is talking about fried bread up there and he seems cranky today. Have you put him on a diet?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure that isn't from your date last night?

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#160810 Mar 17, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for asking Hukt.
No. I won't be doing brain surgery for a while yet. Know someone whose husband did the same thing, and she said it takes years to adapt and retrain. Will be a year next month and just a few days ago I managed to snap those fingers. Swinging a hammer is still not a sure thing.
Funny how that knocks off my balance, meaning it affects the other hand's sensitivity, too. The whole body, actually. Those accommodations you make to get things done spreads stress around that needs to be balanced.
No problem.

Every time Hukt uses a table saw, he thinks of Dave.

Hell...

Every time Hukt tinkers with a magnet, he thinks of Dave.

Don't be too flattered...

What Hukt thinks, Dave might not find all that flattering!

J/K

=)

Take care of yourself.
LargeLanguage

Chester, UK

#160811 Mar 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The first is correct. The second is off by over a factor of 2.
Explain the math, Richardfs.
LargeLanguage

Chester, UK

#160812 Mar 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing to explain. The refractive index is the ratio between the speed of light in a vacuum and the speed of light in the medium being discussed.
How does the math of the refractive index work?
LargeLanguage

Chester, UK

#160813 Mar 17, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the point, isn't it?
As an object's speed approaches that of light, its mass approaches infinity... meaning infinite energy is required to attain light-speed... for something consisting of matter.
In principle, the object can continue to accelerate, indefinitely... but, it will only approach light-speed... and never attain it (asymptotic approach).
We are talking relativistic speeds... but, we don't have to be. Anytime energy is "pumped" into an object, the object's mass is increased (mass-energy equivalence).
By that principle... a compressed spring "weighs" more than the same spring when relaxed.
The speed of light is not infinite, moron! And how does it scientifically work that mass is made from speed?

Mass creates speed, mass is a force, the more force, the more capability to create speed, moron.

Lexington, KY

#160814 Mar 17, 2013
Holy fck that was stupid even for you. Evolution is a regular theme on Star Trek plus let's not forget Bones' comment to Kirk about the genesis project.

In MYTH the world was created in 7 days. Now look out here comes genesis!

In MYTH the world was created.
In MYTH.
MYTH
MYTH
MYTH
MYTH
MYTH.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Look into Spock's Vulcan hand gesture. You know, the split fingers & "Live long and prosper" ...
You'll prolly be surprised at where he got that from.
Remember the original series episode "The Way To Eden"?
hmmm
Gene Roddenberry was Jewish, he added so many aspects of our culture into Star Trek. Religion was one of them.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#160815 Mar 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The speed of light in water depends on the frequency.
How does "phase velocity" apply? Does it? Does the question even make sense?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#160816 Mar 17, 2013
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/49168911/ns/technol...

Gathering light from space.

Two million seconds is over 23 days. If you have ever done any night photography, you can appreciate that is a very long time. Especially if you have a powerful telephoto lens.

Even on the Hubble there will be vibration. Run an electric motor and there isn't much to dampen the entire satellite. Takes a while for it all to settle down. This was also pointed a a very tiny portion.

There is mucho, mucho "enhancing" of images like that, meaning they will adjust to suit what they think it should look like. Various masks and such.

And don't forget this light goes through translations from the matter impacted by the light pinpoints to the finished data to be processed. This will affect the colors you see.

Lexington, KY

#160817 Mar 17, 2013
Gene was a secular Jew who categorically rejected all religions. All of them.

http://www.atheistempire.com/greatminds/quote...

Good grief you can't even get Star Trek right!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Look into Spock's Vulcan hand gesture. You know, the split fingers & "Live long and prosper" ...
You'll prolly be surprised at where he got that from.
Remember the original series episode "The Way To Eden"?
hmmm
Gene Roddenberry was Jewish, he added so many aspects of our culture into Star Trek. Religion was one of them.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#160818 Mar 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I did??
huh
I didn't get the memo.
You responded to it.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#160819 Mar 17, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
How does "phase velocity" apply? Does it? Does the question even make sense?
Yes, although group velocity is more relevant.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#160820 Mar 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I did read it.
You cherry picked the paragraph you wanted.
Apparently you didn't pay much attention.
"Does the speed of light change in air or water?
Yes. Light is slowed down in transparent media such as air, water and glass. The ratio by which it is slowed is called the refractive index of the medium and is always greater than one.* This was discovered by Jean Foucault in 1850.
When people talk about "the speed of light" in a general context, they usually mean the speed of light in a vacuum. This quantity is also referred to as c."
Why don't you stop pretending the people you're pestering aren't aware of that?

Why don't you stop pretending you're aware of that?

Why don't you stop pretending you're aware?

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#160821 Mar 17, 2013
LargeLanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
The speed of light is not infinite, moron! And how does it scientifically work that mass is made from speed?
Mass creates speed, mass is a force, the more force, the more capability to create speed, moron.
Didn't say it was infinite, did I?

No! I didn't.

You're the MORON!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 9 min Jaimie 57
The myth of the angry atheist 1 hr _Bad Company 1
The Ultimate Evidence of God 2 hr Patrick 61
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! 2 hr Patrick 7
100% Faith Free 3 hr CunningLinguist 14
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 3 hr CunningLinguist 39
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr CunningLinguist 427
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••