Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#159253 Mar 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are really, really out of the rational area of mental processes.
You have no perspective on reality outside that you created for yourself. And try to share with others.
Is this an allegory or a metaphor?

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.(Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#159254 Mar 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are really, really out of the rational area of mental processes.
You have no perspective on reality outside that you created for yourself. And try to share with others.
That doesn't make any sense.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#159255 Mar 9, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this an allegory or a metaphor?
However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.(Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)
Uh, how many years ago was that?

Has anything changed since then?

Was it atheists that banished slavery?

Is slavery now illegal in the world, although still practiced by the less than religious?

Your Greeks and Romans didn't outlaw it.

Slavery was practiced everywhere, including Asia and the Americas.

There was one benefit to slavery, though. Conflicts of cultures created winners and losers. The winners weren't about to make the losers equal partners. Kinda messes up your organization and social structure. The alternative was genocide and massacres. Slavery established a social class that enabled most to live.

Most slaves eventually became part of the culture that enslaved them. Some reaching very high positions. Higher than the average citizens.

You prefer genocide over slavery?

Quit looking at the past from such a narrow perspective. Makes you look dumb.
Kipling

United States

#159256 Mar 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, language, but not a god.

Too many math geeks got lost in working math puzzles.

I remember carrying a lot of pencils in my shirt pocket, but never had a pocket protector.
I had a slid ruler. Remember those?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#159257 Mar 9, 2013
Oh sheesh Dave is using the Buck argument of not believing unproved nonsense is a religion.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
When you are a creature aware of itself and that everything is "created", by whatever method, and aware there is the possibility of another dimesnion of existence, afterlife, etc, then you either have a belief there is another one of those, or you don't believe, or you just flat don't know. Topix atheists get on here and argue there isn't, using scientism as a proxy for their "non-belief". Being proactive in expressing is believing, or a state of confusion.
If someone gets on hre and professes there is no afterlife, deity, or spiritual existence, then they have a belief.
The funny part is they just can't say they don't believe, they have to dance around. Which means they aren't sure of their belief in their non-belief, but that doesn't stop them from being obnoxious and accusing the religious of being dumb drones and ranting and raving against anything they say.
I believe they are nuts and/or troubled minds. I am sue there are many more that think the same way, especially after reading these "athiest forums" where they can gather and be supportive of each other in their expressions of their irrational thinking.
Topix atheists are proven nut cases.

Location hidden

#159258 Mar 9, 2013
Kipling wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but never had one.

Had a little pencil box with a sliding ruler on top for the cover.

Lexington, KY

#159259 Mar 9, 2013
An atheist holiday? Is your IQ really that low? Everyday is an atheist holiday!

Oh and here you go, rise of atheism in America.

http://news.yahoo.com/rise-atheism-america-11...

Yes we know you avoid facts.
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Laura Keene was the actress on stage when Abraham Lincoln was shot.
Was the play "Our American Cousin" ?
Shot on Good Friday which Christian celebrate and public schools observe.
Which atheist holiday is observed?
Peace

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#159260 Mar 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, how many years ago was that?
Irrelevant, it was your never changing god who made the law.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Has anything changed since then?
With your god? No. Your mythology states that your god never changes.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Was it atheists that banished slavery?
That's a stupid question. You have no idea the belief or lack thereof of the people involved.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Is slavery now illegal in the world, although still practiced by the less than religious?
Again, you have no proof.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Your Greeks and Romans didn't outlaw it.
I didn't know they were mine! Damn!
Dave Nelson wrote:
Slavery was practiced everywhere, including Asia and the Americas.
Sanctioned by your god.
Dave Nelson wrote:
There was one benefit to slavery, though. Conflicts of cultures created winners and losers. The winners weren't about to make the losers equal partners. Kinda messes up your organization and social structure.
What? WWI the world tried to punish German far more than the Germans could endure. Thus we had WWII. When it ended, we became equal friends with the Germans, Japanese and Italians and we haven't fought them since.
Dave Nelson wrote:
The alternative was genocide and massacres.
Your god demanded genocide and massacres.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Slavery established a social class that enabled most to live.
Most slaves eventually became part of the culture that enslaved them. Some reaching very high positions. Higher than the average citizens.
You prefer genocide over slavery?
Dave Nelson wrote:
Quit looking at the past from such a narrow perspective. Makes you look dumb.
Only to stupid troll fundies.

Lexington, KY

#159261 Mar 9, 2013
I wonder how many of Dave's babbling rants about topix atheists he'll natter on with today?

You think he holds the grocery store clerk up for an hour with similar rants?

Just another person to pretend to pay attention to Dave.
Dave Nelson wrote:
The level that a Topix atheist's brain works at prevents them from thinking beyond the literal, and from grasping allegory and metaphors.
They screech and rant and rave against the literal words of religious works, and almost exclusively against the Abrahamic Bible.
There are two words in that Bible that should pique the interest of anyone with a brain.
"I AM".
But that will sail right over their heads.

Lexington, KY

#159262 Mar 9, 2013
I love Sweden!:)
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweden is atheist paradise

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#159263 Mar 9, 2013
Kipling wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction: slide rule. Not slide ruler.

I got a very nice slide rule as a present for when I entered college. It had a leather case and a belt loop. It also had several rules that were not on cheaper models. I still have it and remember how to use it. This was probably one of the last slide rules manufactured: it wasn't long after that I got a programmable 'pocket' calculator (for a couple hundred dollars).

Location hidden

#159264 Mar 9, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Irrelevant, it was your never changing god who made the law.
<quoted text>
With your god? No. Your mythology states that your god never changes.
<quoted text>
That's a stupid question. You have no idea the belief or lack thereof of the people involved.
<quoted text>
Again, you have no proof.
<quoted text>
I didn't know they were mine! Damn!
<quoted text>
Sanctioned by your god.
<quoted text>
What? WWI the world tried to punish German far more than the Germans could endure. Thus we had WWII. When it ended, we became equal friends with the Germans, Japanese and Italians and we haven't fought them since.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Only to stupid troll fundies.
You are one overly obsessive individual. You must have some mental hard wiring issues. You need to take those drugs they gave you.

Lexington, KY

#159265 Mar 9, 2013
How many times did you have to bang your head into the wall, you're preferred method of learning, to come up with that?

Dave Nelson victim of permanent brain damage.

Tragic.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are one overly obsessive individual. You must have some mental hard wiring issues. You need to take those drugs they gave you.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#159266 Mar 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I still have a slide rule.

I also have a 1934 can opener.

That's before Marie Curie invented the magnet even.

Pretty cool, eh?

Location hidden

#159267 Mar 9, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction: slide rule. Not slide ruler.
I got a very nice slide rule as a present for when I entered college. It had a leather case and a belt loop. It also had several rules that were not on cheaper models. I still have it and remember how to use it. This was probably one of the last slide rules manufactured: it wasn't long after that I got a programmable 'pocket' calculator (for a couple hundred dollars).
Calculators have come a long ways. I bought a Litton handheld in the mid-70's. Those with the red numbers display. I discovered that hitting the 8 after some operations made it go bananas. You wouldn't notice just from casual use, but a certain sequence of operations just came up with unreal numbers. Had to demonstrate those operations when I took it back. Took me a long time to trust one again.

Location hidden

#159268 Mar 9, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I still have a slide rule.
I also have a 1934 can opener.
That's before Marie Curie invented the magnet even.
Pretty cool, eh?
It wasn't Marie Curie. It was Chester A. Magnet.

Dummy.

Lexington, KY

#159269 Mar 9, 2013
As has Alzheimer's treatment and adult diapers!

Good news for you eh Dave?

Hey where is your chunky blushing bride Buck at? In the kitchen cooking you up something?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Calculators have come a long ways.
Lincoln

United States

#159270 Mar 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
As has Alzheimer's treatment and adult diapers!
Good news for you eh Dave?
Hey where is your chunky blushing bride Buck at? In the kitchen cooking you up something?
<quoted text>
His "Chunky blushing bride" comment seems to indicate "Gimme's" unhappiness with evangelical atheism :-)

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#159271 Mar 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Calculators have come a long ways. I bought a Litton handheld in the mid-70's. Those with the red numbers display. I discovered that hitting the 8 after some operations made it go bananas. You wouldn't notice just from casual use, but a certain sequence of operations just came up with unreal numbers. Had to demonstrate those operations when I took it back. Took me a long time to trust one again.
My first calculator was an SR-52. it was magnetic card programmable and had a red LED display. Like all the early calculators, if you took the square root of 5 and then squared the answer, you did not get 5 back. That was a lesson in how reliable the machines were. It cost a couple of hundred dollars (IIRC) and has about the same capabilities of a $10 calculator today.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#159272 Mar 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You average 10.22 posts per day and I average 8.2. Maybe you should request a higher dose.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 1 hr QUITTNER Nov 27 2014 31
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 1 hr Carchar king 26
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 3 hr NightSerf 1,031
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 7 hr Richardfs 1,423
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 7 hr Morse 14,448
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 14 hr Gillette 5,946
Why the Internet is slowly strangling religion Tue Dally Mama 3

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE