Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#159269 Mar 9, 2013
As has Alzheimer's treatment and adult diapers!

Good news for you eh Dave?

Hey where is your chunky blushing bride Buck at? In the kitchen cooking you up something?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Calculators have come a long ways.
Lincoln

United States

#159270 Mar 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
As has Alzheimer's treatment and adult diapers!
Good news for you eh Dave?
Hey where is your chunky blushing bride Buck at? In the kitchen cooking you up something?
<quoted text>
His "Chunky blushing bride" comment seems to indicate "Gimme's" unhappiness with evangelical atheism :-)

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#159271 Mar 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Calculators have come a long ways. I bought a Litton handheld in the mid-70's. Those with the red numbers display. I discovered that hitting the 8 after some operations made it go bananas. You wouldn't notice just from casual use, but a certain sequence of operations just came up with unreal numbers. Had to demonstrate those operations when I took it back. Took me a long time to trust one again.
My first calculator was an SR-52. it was magnetic card programmable and had a red LED display. Like all the early calculators, if you took the square root of 5 and then squared the answer, you did not get 5 back. That was a lesson in how reliable the machines were. It cost a couple of hundred dollars (IIRC) and has about the same capabilities of a $10 calculator today.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#159272 Mar 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are one overly obsessive individual. You must have some mental hard wiring issues. You need to take those drugs they gave you.
You average 10.22 posts per day and I average 8.2. Maybe you should request a higher dose.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#159273 Mar 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Oh sheesh Dave is using the Buck argument of not believing unproved nonsense is a religion.
Pillow talk.
Dave Nelson

Lamar, CO

#159274 Mar 9, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
You average 10.22 posts per day and I average 8.2. Maybe you should request a higher dose.
I'm retired and have nothing better to do. What's your excuse?

Having power go off and on with storm coming through. Scrambled main machine. On a live USB.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#159275 Mar 9, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>My first calculator was an SR-52. it was magnetic card programmable and had a red LED display. Like all the early calculators, if you took the square root of 5 and then squared the answer, you did not get 5 back. That was a lesson in how reliable the machines were. It cost a couple of hundred dollars (IIRC) and has about the same capabilities of a $10 calculator today.
My iPhone calculator gives 5.0000000000000001 when I square the result of the square root of 5.

All depends on how many decimal places the calculator can deal with.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#159276 Mar 9, 2013
How Buck landed Dave.

True story caught on tape!

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Pillow talk.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#159277 Mar 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm retired and have nothing better to do. What's your excuse?
Having power go off and on with storm coming through. Scrambled main machine. On a live USB.
Rocky Ford, CO?

It is very sad that you do not have anything better to do. No family to help? No church youth to guide? Nothing better to do that this?

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#159278 Mar 9, 2013
Ugh. Have a dying hard drive on this laptop.

Shutting down for the night. Probably. Gotta run a bad block test.

But before I go. One observation.

Notice all of these Topix atheists being so liberal and they love and support gays and marriage?

Why is the worst insults they can come up with is insinuating another poster is gay?

Makes you wonder.:-)

Maybe Catcher can answer that.

Good night.

Lamar, CO

#159279 Mar 9, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Rocky Ford, CO?
It is very sad that you do not have anything better to do. No family to help? No church youth to guide? Nothing better to do that this?
As I said, what's your excuse? Young and living in a big town.

Rocky Ford is a big city in this area. They have a red light and 4 or 5 gas stations.

I live in a smaller place out in the hinterlands.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#159280 Mar 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Notice all of these Topix atheists being so liberal and they love and support gays and marriage?
Why is the worst insults they can come up with is insinuating another poster is gay?
Good night.
You have to be a self hating homosexual in the closet, your obsession with homosexuality betrays this.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#159281 Mar 9, 2013
Kipling wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a slid ruler. Remember those?
Way way down in the dump - ahem.

Sorry.

Way way back in the day, my nickname was "slipstick".

And we were not permitted to use the things during examinations.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#159282 Mar 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Good night.
Very simple. If you are a straight boy, the last thing you want to be called is a girl. It is not that girls are bad, it is simply that you are not one.

Same goes for gays. If you are straight, you don't want to be called gay. That is the opposite of what you are.

But somehow that does not translate to stupid people. If you call a stupid person, such as yourself, stupid, the get pissed! If a smart person does something stupid and you call them stupid for it, they say, "Yeah, that was stupid. Drinks are on me."

If you call a stupid person smart, they are dumb enough to believe it.

Another piece of the puzzle is; people like you hate gays. Your kind wants to round them all up to keep them from reproducing. Yet, so many of your kind are caught in homosexual acts.

I hope that I have cleared this up for you. Now get off your knees!

The Borderland of Sol

#159283 Mar 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but never had one.
Had a little pencil box with a sliding ruler on top for the cover.
I had those, too.

Heck, I remember school desks had inkwells.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#159284 Mar 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said, what's your excuse? Young and living in a big town.
Rocky Ford is a big city in this area. They have a red light and 4 or 5 gas stations.
I live in a smaller place out in the hinterlands.
I am not young and I no longer live in a big town, yet I am still am not on here as much as you.

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#159285 Mar 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Good night.
Thanks for your confidence in me, but you'll have to give me a couple of examples of what you are referring to.

Good night.

The Borderland of Sol

#159287 Mar 9, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction: slide rule. Not slide ruler.
I got a very nice slide rule as a present for when I entered college. It had a leather case and a belt loop. It also had several rules that were not on cheaper models. I still have it and remember how to use it. This was probably one of the last slide rules manufactured: it wasn't long after that I got a programmable 'pocket' calculator (for a couple hundred dollars).
Lemme guess - the thing could add, subtract, multiply, divide, and use VERY simple arithmetic exponents?
Lincoln

United States

#159288 Mar 9, 2013
WALTHAM, Mass.(-- While anticipation is building around the world ahead of picking the pope, Catholic school students in Waltham are trying to do their part by saying their prayers.
Middle school students at Our Lady's Academy in Waltham are joining together in prayer -- sending their thoughts to Rome on the election of the next pope.
“I think it's very important, this is a very big deal. It's going to be a big part of our Catholic history, and it felt really nice, it felt like I was really connected with God,” said Haley Campbell, 8th grade.
“The children have assembled each class, about 15 minutes, where they have been praying in Eucharistic adoration and asking the Lord's blessing on the selection of the new pope, and those who will elect him,” said Fr. James Diperri, Our Lady’s Academy.
One student was hoping the cardinals would pick Boston’s own, Cardinal Sean O’Malley.
“I was actually praying that he would become pope, because he's pretty good actually, his age, he's pretty young. He's fit for the job, so he'd do really well,” said Nicole Porte, 8th grade.
Even though they are thousands of miles from Rome, through the power of prayer, they're hoping to be part of the process.
“I felt connected to everyone in the room and the church in whole, like we were all praying. And it felt really good,” said Chloe Olwell.
Lincoln

United States

#159289 Mar 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to be a self hating homosexual in the closet, your obsession with homosexuality betrays this.
Doubt if you could tell?
Peace

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min renee 35,107
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 1 hr Thinking 157
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Thinking 20,097
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 6 hr Richardfs 14,940
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 10 hr emperorjohn 139
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 12 hr superwilly 3,710
There are no such things as gods or fairies 19 hr Amused 102
More from around the web