Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
KJV

United States

#159064 Mar 8, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>I consider myself fortunate that I was diagnosed and given the help I needed.

I consider myself fortunate that science and medicine are able to provide ways to reduce the limitations of the condition.
I have it along with two of my coworkers
I don't have it as bad as my Boss.
It's good to know that most Geniuses have this gift. It opens the mind to much better ways of thinking.

Dyslexic The Genesis disease.

Facts are that people with Dyslexic have bigger brains. And most Genesis have Dyslexic.

Dyslexia - The Strange Genius Disease

Dyslexic people are intuitive, highly intelligent and creative individuals who are visual, multi-dimensional thinkers. But because they think in pictures, they have troubles when it comes to letters, numbers, symbols, and written words.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Dyslexia-The-S...

Dyslexics have a larger brain than "normal" people. It is about 10% larger in the right hemisphere.

http://www.coulditbedyslexia.com/know.html

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#159065 Mar 8, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>Homer has never done any work, he goes to work eats a doughnut, goes to sleep and say's "d'oh!"

I was saying that has evolution gone the wrong way coz the pyramids were built by clever and patient people without any real technology that we have today but i don't think us humans could build a pyramid today with our tools! If those types of people were here today we would have been more advanced then we r now?
We could easily build a pyramid today.

We could probably reproduce the pyramid at Giza in less than a year if we wanted to.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#159066 Mar 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I can get past them all but puma punku, which defies explanation.
It's just too complicated for ancient Indians.
Why do you say that?

Do you want to believe in aliens?

Blame your modern theories and approaches for not understanding the ancient past better.

Ancient man had a better developed intelligence. He had to figure things out more. They didn't have "knowledge" poured into their heads like today. That's why Topix atheists are dumb.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#159067 Mar 8, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>Ancient architects

Some of our most impressive structures are actually incredibly old and difficult to determine the precise dates they were built.

We still don't have a clue how the Great Pyramid of Giza was built, or its precise purpose. Despite what you may have heard, no mummy has ever been found in the Egyptian pyramids, they were all found in the Valley of the Kings. So the true meaning of the pyramids is actually a mystery.

As is the technology used and the matter of how multiple cultures in Africa, the Middle East and Central America all built pyramids around roughly the same time. The matter has had archeologists both professional and amateur alike scratching their heads and theorizing why and how this could have happened.

Why do we aspire to such grand heights? Ego perhaps.

In some cases we might not have much choice but to build upwards if the population grows very dense and land close to water and food is scarce.

We thrive in some of the most inhospitable places on the Earth, and always we build upwards.

There is no precise beginning for the history of architecture either. Our earliest buildings date from either the end of the last ice age or during the ice age, which was only 10 to 15 milleniums ago.

Likewise, there was no precise ending of the ice age. We presume it phased out slowly, but it could have changed quite quickly in a matter of decades or years. We really don't know.
I've always wondered if ancient people thought that the dome of stars was just out of reach, and if they just built something tall enough they might be able to touch them.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#159068 Mar 8, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>I fail to see the difficulty. Either one can take out the trash. When it needs to be taken out, the one that notices does it. Or they decide that one does the trash and the other does the dishes. Or they decide that they alternate.

What do genitals have to do with this? Why is this a male/female role question at all?
RR is Neanderthal.

I bet he used a club to propose to his wife.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#159069 Mar 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you say that?
Do you want to believe in aliens?
Blame your modern theories and approaches for not understanding the ancient past better.
Ancient man had a better developed intelligence. He had to figure things out more. They didn't have "knowledge" poured into their heads like today. That's why Topix atheists are dumb.
None of the above, I can offer no explanation.
But can only say it shows a level of sophistication , that is out of place. I can not say how or why, but there is something odd about the entire region. It is similar to the John Frums unwritten ideographic's , but can't put a finger on why.
You deploy your words as if science and engineering are not academic pursuits.

Location hidden

#159070 Mar 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
None of the above, I can offer no explanation.
But can only say it shows a level of sophistication , that is out of place. I can not say how or why, but there is something odd about the entire region. It is similar to the John Frums unwritten ideographic's , but can't put a finger on why.
You deploy your words as if science and engineering are not academic pursuits.
They weren't until modern times. They were tools of the trade.

Universities and textbooks changed the way things were looked at.

That area is not that old, really. There was an event around that time that scattered other Mesoamerican cultures, the 1000 AD and a couple of hundred years later era.

Location hidden

#159071 Mar 8, 2013
Ugh, my new glasses aren't tuned for laptop distances.

A comment I made to River made a connection I need to stop and think about. A missing jigsaw piece appeared. Funny how things pop up and what prompts them.

Will be spending more time thinking about that and less on here.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#159072 Mar 8, 2013
Mad old country, Bolivia. We ended up on a floating village in Lake Titicaca when we crossed the border.
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I can get past them all but puma punku, which defies explanation.
It's just too complicated for ancient Indians.

Location hidden

#159073 Mar 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
They weren't until modern times. They were tools of the trade.
Universities and textbooks changed the way things were looked at.
That area is not that old, really. There was an event around that time that scattered other Mesoamerican cultures, the 1000 AD and a couple of hundred years later era.
You're off by 500 years, it dates to ad 500 and the area was inhabited in 4-500 bc.
The mystery is not for what they did , it is it's obscurity.
For instance the Parthenon is much older, but much writing exists
and what is known of the Greeks, Archimedes etc, is relevant.
As are the tools and methods they used.
What is unknown about the Northern Patagonian techniques is monstrous.
It's as if they did those things without writing.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#159074 Mar 8, 2013
That's for the best Dave. The more time you spend dithering with that the less time you will be on here making a jackass out of yourself.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Ugh, my new glasses aren't tuned for laptop distances.
A comment I made to River made a connection I need to stop and think about. A missing jigsaw piece appeared. Funny how things pop up and what prompts them.
Will be spending more time thinking about that and less on here.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#159075 Mar 8, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that would be sad. For him to kill himself to save other only to go straight to hell.
If he was an atheist I feel for him.
there's no hell

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#159076 Mar 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The US.
You're in the US. I'm in the US. When you & I are talking and I mention our society, what makes you think in talking about any other society than American?
I did not assume what society you were referring to. You seemed to be referring to the entire world, which made no sense to me.
American society has set up many differences between men & women. We all have our different roles to play and if played correctly, we succeed.
Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. Some women DO take out the trash and some men DO enjoy the ballet....
Well, again, American presumptions about gender change all the time, and will continue to do so. Other than biological differences, I don't see any logical necessity for one gender or other to conform to any standard. What's the rationale for that? If a couple in a relationship (for example) figure out what works best for them, who are others to question that?

San Francisco

#159077 Mar 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely not. That's not what I'm saying at all. If it were, you & I wouldn't be having this pleasant conversation right now.
I don't understand gays and I probably never will. But there out there, the sneaky little bastards, and I want to learn to be more tolerant than I've been. What better way than to get info straight from the source?
That's perfectly fine with me. Ask anything you want. I think it's great when people come to understand each other. I think our society needs that.
Yes, they don't threaten me.
And yes, I don't have to agree with everything they do just like they don't have to agree with everything they do.
To each his own, right?
To each his own, yes. And that doesn't mean one must like everything about someone else either. Sometimes I see people (not you) getting all huffy about being bigoted or intolerant, when the person in question just has a dislike of some aspect of someone else. We all have our opinions, that's natural. It's when those opinions become generalized and develop into stereotypes that ignorance and bigotry come to the fore.

Being tolerant can be a virtue, but it's unreasonable to expect others to go further and celebrate you for some trait or other.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#159078 Mar 8, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
RR is Neanderthal.
I bet he used a club to propose to his wife.
I did, it's called Margaritaville.

Ladies get unfree on Thursdays.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#159079 Mar 8, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not assume what society you were referring to. You seemed to be referring to the entire world, which made no sense to me.
<quoted text>
Well, again, American presumptions about gender change all the time, and will continue to do so. Other than biological differences, I don't see any logical necessity for one gender or other to conform to any standard. What's the rationale for that? If a couple in a relationship (for example) figure out what works best for them, who are others to question that?
There's nothing wrong with that, but if it violates the "standard" - what most in society view it as - they shouldn't expect special treatment.
KJV

United States

#159080 Mar 8, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>there's no hell
Oh

San Francisco

#159081 Mar 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There's nothing wrong with that, but if it violates the "standard" - what most in society view it as - they shouldn't expect special treatment.
Special treatment, no. Equal treatment, yes.

Location hidden

#159082 Mar 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You're off by 500 years, it dates to ad 500 and the area was inhabited in 4-500 bc.
The mystery is not for what they did , it is it's obscurity.
For instance the Parthenon is much older, but much writing exists
and what is known of the Greeks, Archimedes etc, is relevant.
As are the tools and methods they used.
What is unknown about the Northern Patagonian techniques is monstrous.
It's as if they did those things without writing.
"The culture in question seems to have dissolved rather abruptly some time around 1000 AD and researchers are still seeking answers as to why."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumapunku#Peak_a...

Why would they have to have writing?

Location hidden

#159083 Mar 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"The culture in question seems to have dissolved rather abruptly some time around 1000 AD and researchers are still seeking answers as to why."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumapunku#Peak_a...
Why would they have to have writing?
Building projects require measurement and blueprints, even if they are just a sketch. Especially when a high degree of precision is expected or observed. Dave don't you know that?
Interchangeable parts are pretty hard to manufacture without precise communication skills in abstract. With the Greeks we know their math and language. With ancient South America we know so little about their methodology and semantics.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 41 min NightSerf 1,031
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Richardfs 1,423
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 4 hr Morse 14,448
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 11 hr Gillette 5,946
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism Tue thetruth 25
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Tue Catholic Girl 27
Why the Internet is slowly strangling religion Tue Dally Mama 3

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE