Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
KJV

United States

#158957 Mar 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Obama takes the cake with these two:

"We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad."

and

"I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go."
He must be including the state of confusion!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158958 Mar 7, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/03/0...
Jedi? Vulcan? Mind Meld? Mind Trick? What Was Obama Thinking?
Mar 01, 2013 · He can't do "a Jedi mind meld" with Republicans and get them to see his way about taxes and spending, President Obama said
POTUS Mixed Metaphor of the Day: The 'mind meld' is not a Jedi tool from Star Wars, but a Vulcan ability from Star Trek.
Romney came out of seclusion, interview with ABC, said his problem was with NOT 'getting his message' the voters.
The real problem was he DID 'get his 47% message' to the voters!
LMAO! I ain't seent that one!

Jedi mind meld?

BLASPHEMY!!!
KJV

United States

#158959 Mar 7, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text> http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/03/0...

Jedi? Vulcan? Mind Meld? Mind Trick? What Was Obama Thinking?

Mar 01, 2013 · He can't do "a Jedi mind meld" with Republicans and get them to see his way about taxes and spending, President Obama said

POTUS Mixed Metaphor of the Day: The 'mind meld' is not a Jedi tool from Star Wars, but a Vulcan ability from Star Trek.

Romney came out of seclusion, interview with ABC, said his problem was with NOT 'getting his message' the voters.
The real problem was he DID 'get his 47% message' to the voters!
So he's not allowed to joke around?

Find real stuff to bitch about there is plenty out there.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158960 Mar 7, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
He must be including the state of confusion!
There's a lot more:

"The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries."

"Let me be absolutely clear. Israel is a strong friend of Israel's."

"Come on! I just answered, like, eight questions."

"In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died -- an entire town destroyed." -on a Kansas tornado that killed 12 people
KJV

United States

#158961 Mar 7, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>To get to the other side?
That's why the chicken crossed the road

Trouble is it didn't make it. It's now a grease spot on the black top.
KJV

United States

#158962 Mar 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Derp

I know that.

Anything useful to add?
Jimmy cracks corn. What else is there. LOL
KJV

United States

#158963 Mar 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>LMAO! I ain't seent that one!

Jedi mind meld?

BLASPHEMY!!!
Damn it Jim I'm a President not a metaphor expert.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158964 Mar 7, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#158965 Mar 7, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me… Excuse me. I’d just like to ask a question… What does God need with a starship?
-James Kirk, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons.
-Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Kirk: Spock, where the hell’s the power you promised?
Spock: One damn minute, Admiral.
-Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

We have them just where they want us.
-Captain Kirk

Kirk: Come on. Spock, why didn't you jump in?
Spock: I was trying to comprehend the meaning of the words.
McCoy: It's a song, you green-blooded...Vulcan. You sing it. The words aren't important. What's important is that you have a good time singing it.
Spock: Oh, I am sorry, Doctor. Were we having a good time?
McCoy: God, I liked him better before he died.
-Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158966 Mar 7, 2013
Leave bigotry in your quarters; there's no room for it on the bridge.
Kirk in 'Balance of Terror'

"No more blah, blah, blah!
Kirk in 'Miri'

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#158967 Mar 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, so now what? Do we take all the cultures of the world and find a happy medium?
I'd say no. We haev our own culture and our culture has defined what is male and female and what attributes each gender has or is "supposed to" have.
No, I see no necessity to get some kind of homogenized universal agreement on gender. That would never happen anyway, nor should it. My point is that it's important to remember that gender is very subjective. And how our own culture (American? West-coast specifically?) defines gender has changed a great deal and will continue to do so. You've often made comments about the roles you think men and women should have, though I don't know how facetious you were being.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158970 Mar 7, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I see no necessity to get some kind of homogenized universal agreement on gender. That would never happen anyway, nor should it. My point is that it's important to remember that gender is very subjective. And how our own culture (American? West-coast specifically?) defines gender has changed a great deal and will continue to do so. You've often made comments about the roles you think men and women should have, though I don't know how facetious you were being.
Gender role models may have changed a little in San Fran, but y'all do shit weird up there. It's like a free-for-all.

Down here in SoCal, genders are quite different - as are the roles.

Homosexuals don't get to change what is considered male & female, wilder. And I see no reason why you'd want that or advocate it. Do you want a manly man or a womanly man? You don't want to answer, you just want a man.

Genders & gender roles don't work that way.
KJV

United States

#158971 Mar 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Leave bigotry in your quarters; there's no room for it on the bridge.
Kirk in 'Balance of Terror'

"No more blah, blah, blah!
Kirk in 'Miri'
Even vyger knew there was a creator.

San Francisco

#158972 Mar 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Gender role models may have changed a little in San Fran, but y'all do shit weird up there. It's like a free-for-all.
Down here in SoCal, genders are quite different - as are the roles.
Homosexuals don't get to change what is considered male & female, wilder. And I see no reason why you'd want that or advocate it. Do you want a manly man or a womanly man? You don't want to answer, you just want a man.
Genders & gender roles don't work that way.
I've pretty clearly stated that I'm not advocating anything in this regard, except perhaps that I want people to be able to honestly express who they are. If you feel more secure surrounding yourself with people who "act" a certain way, then feel free to do so. I don't want to live life on a stage with actors performing roles; I prefer reality. There seems to be a continuing theme with you where you are afraid that if people are allowed to vary from certain rigidly defined parameters, chaos will be the result. That is not necessarily true. In fact, if you allow people more leeway, I've found often that people are more relaxed and happier in general. But I can see why religion appeals to you that way. It tells you what to think, say, and do, and more importantly, gives you a platform for dictating to *others* what *they* can think, say, and do.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158973 Mar 7, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Jimmy cracks corn. What else is there. LOL
I don't care?

Stupid corn.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158974 Mar 7, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Even vyger knew there was a creator.
Dude!

It's "VGER"....
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#158975 Mar 7, 2013
Why did the Chechen cross the road?
Because the Russian soldiers were shooting at it.
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
To get to the other side?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158976 Mar 7, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I've pretty clearly stated that I'm not advocating anything in this regard, except perhaps that I want people to be able to honestly express who they are. If you feel more secure surrounding yourself with people who "act" a certain way, then feel free to do so. I don't want to live life on a stage with actors performing roles; I prefer reality. There seems to be a continuing theme with you where you are afraid that if people are allowed to vary from certain rigidly defined parameters, chaos will be the result. That is not necessarily true. In fact, if you allow people more leeway, I've found often that people are more relaxed and happier in general. But I can see why religion appeals to you that way. It tells you what to think, say, and do, and more importantly, gives you a platform for dictating to *others* what *they* can think, say, and do.
You've got me all wrong, man. I'm not even attempting to tell anyone how they should live. You're getting off track.

I agree with you that people should be able to feel free to express themselves as they see fit.

I do not agree that those people should try to change the way we define gender roles to help their expressive feelings.

If a man want to act & feel manly, so what?

I turn, if a man want to act & feel womanly, so what?

San Francisco

#158977 Mar 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not agree that those people should try to change the way we define gender roles to help their expressive feelings.
OK, I'm trying to figure this out. Who is the "we" who defines gender roles for others?
KJV

United States

#158978 Mar 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I don't care?

Stupid corn.
:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Eagle 12 2,596
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 3 hr Morse 194
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 3 hr Morse 7
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 3 hr Morse 35
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 3 hr Morse 161
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr Morse 1,450
Noah's flood real (Oct '12) 3 hr Morse 4,523
More from around the web