Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
152,761 - 152,780 of 226,516 Comments Last updated 13 min ago

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#158907 Mar 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Einstein got his smarts from sitting in a patent office and reading the theories and applications that crossed his desk, then thinking and coming up with his own theories. Some of which is wrong. Why no grand unification theory.
He read. He thought.
You just read.
Yes and much of which is right, your sat nav would not work without his theories, television is an application of his theory of light. His musings helped to prove the existence of atoms and molecules.

Science is working an a unifying theory, your god is not so why no god magic?

I read an learn, read and learn and lets face facts here reading is far better than davesworld day dreaming

#158908 Mar 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
you just continue to make the blind assertion that you are correct in spite of this, that is a sign of delusion, you are incapable of admitting you are wrong.
That is the davesworld way.

#158910 Mar 7, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The infinite regression argument is invalid against existence of God, as it is stipulated as "eternal" - independent of time.
It works against items such as plants, animals, the universe, as they are not independent of time.
Where is the evidence of this, I would be very pleased to read it, as I am sure just about everyone else, god believers and otherwise would like.

In fact if you can provide such evidence I really think you would have it made, You would solve a millennia old quandary, people have been looking for thousands of years and no evidence found, anywhere. Just think you would be rich and famous beyond avarice.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#158913 Mar 7, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and much of which is right, your sat nav would not work without his theories, television is an application of his theory of light. His musings helped to prove the existence of atoms and molecules.
Science is working an a unifying theory, your god is not so why no god magic?
I read an learn, read and learn and lets face facts here reading is far better than davesworld day dreaming
That sat nav and most other thingies came about from building on existing technology and trial and error, not his theories. Those technologies were set up by others. Faraday for one.

You really don't know what you know. You are just too full of hate to think clearly.
Imhotep

Brandon, FL

#158914 Mar 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Portugese, Spanish....
What's the difference.....
English,Patois what is the difference?

What do you DARE to think?

Existe um Deus
ŅHay un Dios

It's that tower of babble that gas you confused.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#158915 Mar 7, 2013
ChristineM is mildly dyslexic. Spell checkers don't catch everything.

btw, your last sentence doesn't even parse.
Lies Buster wrote:
<quoted text>Please learn to read before you write. I see that you have used commas, so I must conclude that you ran out of them, before you failed to utilize commas where needed.
Also, it should be "I read and learn", not "I read an learn".
Also, did you mean "Dave's world".
What is "Science is working an a unifying theory"? Did you mean "Science is working on a unifying theory.
If mathematicians are not working on solving 1+1 = 2 and why 1+1 is not = to 0, then why would God be working on a unifying theory?
What is 0 x %(infinity)- 1 /0 +(1/0)=?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158916 Mar 7, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
English,Patois what is the difference?
What do you DARE to think?
Existe um Deus
ŅHay un Dios
It's that tower of babble that gas you confused.
Eh?

Gas doesn't confuse me, you're thinking of dr shrink & Phil...

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#158917 Mar 7, 2013
Lies Buster wrote:
If mathematicians are not working on solving 1+1 = 2 and why 1+1 is not = to 0, then why would God be working on a unifying theory?
Huh?

Just a point: 1+1=0 if we are working modulo 2. This can be quite useful for those working in computers.
A meaningless stream of symbols.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#158918 Mar 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Portugese, Spanish....
What's the difference.....
Brazil.

#158919 Mar 7, 2013
Lies Buster wrote:
<quoted text>Please learn to read before you write. I see that you have used commas, so I must conclude that you ran out of them, before you failed to utilize commas where needed.
Also, it should be "I read and learn", not "I read an learn".
Also, did you mean "Dave's world".
What is "Science is working an a unifying theory"? Did you mean "Science is working on a unifying theory.
I guess you must be christian and are totally unaware of my disability so I can understand your ignorance whether itís deliberate or not.

Actually no, this is a long standing joke that you would not understand and I meant davesworld, exactly as I wrote it. But again you were not to know that.

Yes I did mean on, not an, and not an, basic mistakes that many dyslexics make and mistakes that ignorant godbods love to pick on because they have fook all else to play with. Funnily enough itís that exact same christian mocking of my disability that is the sole reason why I am no longer christian, good to see that you keep up the traditions.

Why would god not, itís one of the things godbots love to rant about and it is claimed your god myth is omniscient is it not? Or perhaps you delusional enough to think, as do many such christians, that you know the mind of your god?
Lies Buster wrote:
<quoted text>You really are not smart. Basically, science on works with physics and at macro levels. When it comes to quantum mechanisms and singularities, time and physics can not be measured and therefore neither can God. Basic, which is why no scientist worth his salt ever ventures into the supernatural realms, because they understand that science can only measure the physical realms.
So because there is a question that YOU cannon answer then it is me who is not smart, OK, I follow your logic there, I think itís called deliberate ignorance.

So you argue from ignorance, may I suggest you look at the mathematics of Dr Param Sing to see if the mechanisms of singularities can be considered.

And the argument from incredulity does not work either, what you are saying is ďThis is the option that best suites my sensibilities there it must be factĒ

#158920 Mar 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That sat nav and most other thingies came about from building on existing technology and trial and error, not his theories. Those technologies were set up by others. Faraday for one.
You really don't know what you know. You are just too full of hate to think clearly.
Try using a sat nav without the relativity algorithm.

When fist designed for the US military they had to have a relativity switch that disabled that function because they were then as skeptical as you are now.

That switch has been superseded with ALWAYS ON

I know exactly what I know and where does hate come into it? I am not the one hurling mockery and abuse, thatís you.

Honey I donít even hate the christians who tried to kill me but I must admit, there is s special place that I would live to see those christians that tried to kill my children

Location hidden

#158921 Mar 7, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you must be christian and are totally unaware of my disability so I can understand your ignorance whether itís deliberate or not.
Actually no, this is a long standing joke that you would not understand and I meant davesworld, exactly as I wrote it. But again you were not to know that.
Yes I did mean on, not an, and not an, basic mistakes that many dyslexics make and mistakes that ignorant godbods love to pick on because they have fook all else to play with. Funnily enough itís that exact same christian mocking of my disability that is the sole reason why I am no longer christian, good to see that you keep up the traditions.
Why would god not, itís one of the things godbots love to rant about and it is claimed your god myth is omniscient is it not? Or perhaps you delusional enough to think, as do many such christians, that you know the mind of your god?
<quoted text>
So because there is a question that YOU cannon answer then it is me who is not smart, OK, I follow your logic there, I think itís called deliberate ignorance.
So you argue from ignorance, may I suggest you look at the mathematics of Dr Param Sing to see if the mechanisms of singularities can be considered.
And the argument from incredulity does not work either, what you are saying is ďThis is the option that best suites my sensibilities there it must be factĒ
Hmmmm....

Maybe Polymath can plot a course from wherever you are out there back to home.

Of course, we will have to figure where you are. Any identifiable galaxies you can recognize? No, of course not. Let's see... Oh, I know. Start beeping out some signals in a pattern that can be recognized as intelligent. Maybe in a few years we can locate you.

On second thought, that may not work either.

You did pack a good lunch, didn't you?

Since: Mar 13

Point Pleasant, WV

#158922 Mar 7, 2013
All I know is Jesus loves Country music :

Location hidden

#158923 Mar 7, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Try using a sat nav without the relativity algorithm.
When fist designed for the US military they had to have a relativity switch that disabled that function because they were then as skeptical as you are now.
That switch has been superseded with ALWAYS ON
I know exactly what I know and where does hate come into it? I am not the one hurling mockery and abuse, thatís you.
Honey I donít even hate the christians who tried to kill me but I must admit, there is s special place that I would live to see those christians that tried to kill my children
Lovey, your associating the acts of a few to a whole religion and wishing its destruction is not what they call rational.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158924 Mar 7, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Brazil.
Oh ya, there's that.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#158925 Mar 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh ya, there's that.
Reminds me of a GW Bush story. An aide came to him in the Oval Office. "Mr. President, I need to inform you that four Brazilian soldiers were killed this morning in Iraq."

Bush lowered his head and began to shake, sobbing uncontrollably. The aide, surprised at the overreaction, asked, "Mr. President, what's the matter?"

Bush replied with a question: "Tell me, how many is in a brazillion?"

Location hidden

#158926 Mar 7, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Reminds me of a GW Bush story. An aide came to him in the Oval Office. "Mr. President, I need to inform you that four Brazilian soldiers were killed this morning in Iraq."
Bush lowered his head and began to shake, sobbing uncontrollably. The aide, surprised at the overreaction, asked, "Mr. President, what's the matter?"
Bush replied with a question: "Tell me, how many is in a brazillion?"
I wonder if the California coast dropping into the ocean would bring fresher air to the rest of the country?

One last huge blast of "Bush did it" from those going down, and then clean fresh air.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#158927 Mar 7, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's almost worth having to wallow in it just to hear from you, friend....
LOL

Good to see you, amigo.

Can't stay, though.

That was no red card. We had Madrid on the ropes!

Cheers, amigo

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#158928 Mar 7, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The history doesn't support that interpretation. For example, it was the *Christian* emperors that banned Plato's academy.
<quoted text>
No, that was the *first* fire, but it was mostly at the ship docks nearby the library and was certainly not intentional on the part of Caesar.
<quoted text>
Again, incorrect history. The Christians were the ones that stirred up things against Hypatia, for example. The sacrifices there were not human sacrifices (the typical understanding of blood sacrifices) and were actually not common during the late 4th century. It shoudl also be understood that this was a way of distributing meat to the poor. It was Theodosius that later ordered the library sacked (although it lasted until the Moslems came along and finally destroyed the last remnants.
<quoted text>
You mean the Roman empire under the *Christian* emperors?
<quoted text>
Again, the universities were *much* later than the collapse of the Roman empire. They were a response to the knowledge of the Islamic lands, not of the fall of Rome.
<quoted text>
And you should quit looking at the apologetic sites and quit minimizing the harm they did.
<quoted text>
And brought along a 500 year period of ignorance and chaos. That goes from the fall of Rome to the beginning of the translation movement.
They destroyed anything they considered heathen or pagan knowledge, including Greek, Constantine and own up for several hundred years after him authorized the confiscation and destruction of anything that challenged orthodoxy.
Was taken and burned.

Incidentally this is the same thing the mullahs are doing in Iran, destroying ancient works and anything that isn't the doctrine of Mohammed. Religious zealots are bad news when it come to suppression of knowledge of anything that conflicts their beliefs.
including works of Archimedes, which was tragic.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#158929 Mar 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Well, true. But I'm not talking about modern day Riverside, I'm talking about modern day.
Which culture? There are many, you know.
What's your real purpose of this topic? Are you a limp-wrist gay?(Or whatever you call it, feminine gay, maybe)
My real purpose was to discuss gender in society. I don't see to what degree you'd judge my masculinity or femininity has to do with that. You brought it up. Does that make you limp-wristed somehow? Please explain the logical connection there.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr Patrick 436
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) 2 hr Patrick 13
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Dak-Original 21,516
The myth of the angry atheist 4 hr Thinking 2
The Ultimate Evidence of God 5 hr Thinking 67
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom Sat religionislies 58
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! Sat Patrick 7
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••