Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#159043 Mar 8, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Sand and water, Clementia.
That's all it takes to cut.
Sand, water and buoyancy, Clementia.
That's all it takes to raise heavy things.
Sand, water, buoyant material and a lot of slaves.
It's easier to drag on rails, and to use tripods to gain leverage.

Tie a rock to a string. Lay it out stretched flat on a table. On the side farthest from the rock, grab the string and pul straight up. The rock swings under your hand. This is what powers pendulums. Build tripods, put rocks on a travois, attach cables to top of tripod and end of travois. Stretch, and pry up end of travois while keeping tension on cable. The travois, and rock, want to swing under the tripod. You can use pulleys and all sorts of things to harness that principle. Gravity helps you.

You can also use the tripods to form cutting and drilling guides and platforms. You can then also harness gravity to create drop hammers, and even spin drills. A lot easier than swing a sledgehammer.

Those tripods and travois work over rough ground and uphill better than wheels. You can also use them to drag on railroads.

All about arresting the force of gravity and putting it to work for you.

Pyramids inhibited energy deteriorating matter. They shunted energetic telluric currents and solar radiation streams. Inhibited their turning matter into plasma. Preservatives.

Lamar, CO

#159044 Mar 8, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess that wacky backy is screwing up your actual reading ability. Let me make it simple for you, there were 2 (TWO) T – W – O christians involved in trying to kill my children. No more, no less.
Honey, I don’t even hate you, I think you are kind of cuddly in a barbed wire and stinging nettles sort of way.
I am not interested in trying to destroy christianity, it’s a faith that briongs comfort to a couple of billion people. However I have no tolerance for liars and when people lie to me, it does not matter if they are christian or Martian I feel it is my right to offer the truth in return.
This you have already learned…
Honey, you need to go back and read some of your past posts. Maybe put your glasses on upside down.

If you want to cuddle I will shave.:-)

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#159045 Mar 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It's easier to drag on rails, and to use tripods to gain leverage.
Tie a rock to a string. Lay it out stretched flat on a table. On the side farthest from the rock, grab the string and pul straight up. The rock swings under your hand. This is what powers pendulums. Build tripods, put rocks on a travois, attach cables to top of tripod and end of travois. Stretch, and pry up end of travois while keeping tension on cable. The travois, and rock, want to swing under the tripod. You can use pulleys and all sorts of things to harness that principle. Gravity helps you.
You can also use the tripods to form cutting and drilling guides and platforms. You can then also harness gravity to create drop hammers, and even spin drills. A lot easier than swing a sledgehammer.
Those tripods and travois work over rough ground and uphill better than wheels. You can also use them to drag on railroads.
All about arresting the force of gravity and putting it to work for you.
Pyramids inhibited energy deteriorating matter. They shunted energetic telluric currents and solar radiation streams. Inhibited their turning matter into plasma. Preservatives.
Cutting is ancient.

It always will be.

Imhotep

Miami, FL

#159046 Mar 8, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm missing your point.
It's most likely my fault.
No point, just info on pyramids and such. ;)

We have visited Egypt and Central American pyramids and stunning Machu Picchu.

How did they actually achieve this when we cannot duplicate today?

I love a good mystery!

Lamar, CO

#159047 Mar 8, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Cutting is ancient.
It always will be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =uZ2_QqRFD5kXX
Love, they have water jets that cut steel.

What they didn't have back at the time were the materials to harness that kind of pressure.

Like any construction project, you try to minimize costs and resources. Building railroads, if even out of logs, Wood was scarce.

There are theories such as seed imbibtion and steam for cutting. The easiest is hard minerals used as chisels and drop hammers running on a rail as a guide between those tripods.

Those theories of log rollers, floating, and magic levitation are just totally unrealistic. Gaining leverage is all that was needed. Those tripods did that. They got above the ground.

If it wasn't for the friction on the ground caused by gravity and weight, you could push or pull 30 tons easily. Once you overcame the inertia it moves. Stopping it is the hard part.

Lamar, CO

#159048 Mar 8, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
I love a good mystery!
Go to Coral Castle.

A frail, sickly man the size of a petite woman, in his 50's, quarried and moved 1000 of that 1100 tons of rock pretty much within 2 years, all by himself. He only moved about 100 tons from the original location. That is where they get the 28 years. It was much, much less. He had a 10 ton winch. It weighed more than him.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#159049 Mar 8, 2013
This is the story of Dave's life.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/barber-just-...
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Love, they have water jets that cut steel.
What they didn't have back at the time were the materials to harness that kind of pressure.
Like any construction project, you try to minimize costs and resources. Building railroads, if even out of logs, Wood was scarce.
There are theories such as seed imbibtion and steam for cutting. The easiest is hard minerals used as chisels and drop hammers running on a rail as a guide between those tripods.
Those theories of log rollers, floating, and magic levitation are just totally unrealistic. Gaining leverage is all that was needed. Those tripods did that. They got above the ground.
If it wasn't for the friction on the ground caused by gravity and weight, you could push or pull 30 tons easily. Once you overcame the inertia it moves. Stopping it is the hard part.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#159050 Mar 8, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
I love a good mystery!
I'm sorry, but I don't know of any man made structures that cannot be duplicated today.

I know of a whole lot that we aren't going to duplicate, because it would be a colossal waste of resources.

Lamar, CO

#159051 Mar 8, 2013
Before the horse rearrived back in America, the nomadic Indian tribes used dogs and travois for moving. Then the horse.

The horse started in North America, went extinct here, but kept on in Asia. Europeans brought them back. Their descendants, anyhow.

It was the desire for the horse and iron goods, and military alliances, that conquered the Indians. They made friends with the Europeans to get them so they could kick their enemy tribe's ass. They could easily have destroyed the first colonies if they wanted to.

After the Indians got the horse, they had to make some adaptations. One was a papoose carrier that could survive a fall from a horse and getting kicked or trampled, with papoose inside.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#159052 Mar 8, 2013
http://www.theonion.com/articles/barber-just-...
Dave Nelson wrote:
Before the horse rearrived back in America, the nomadic Indian tribes used dogs and travois for moving. Then the horse.
The horse started in North America, went extinct here, but kept on in Asia. Europeans brought them back. Their descendants, anyhow.
It was the desire for the horse and iron goods, and military alliances, that conquered the Indians. They made friends with the Europeans to get them so they could kick their enemy tribe's ass. They could easily have destroyed the first colonies if they wanted to.
After the Indians got the horse, they had to make some adaptations. One was a papoose carrier that could survive a fall from a horse and getting kicked or trampled, with papoose inside.

Lamar, CO

#159053 Mar 8, 2013
"f not for man-made influences, the Earth would be in a very cold phase right now and getting even colder, according the joint study by Oregon State University and Harvard University. Marcott was the lead author of the report on its results."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/08/world/world-cli...

Heat is energy is life.

We are supposed to begrudge this increase in temperature because we caused it, they say.

Nevermind the fact that the increased heat allows for more food to be grown to feed 7 billion and growing, and should reduce energy costs in staying warm. But it is a great reason for them to tinker with the planet on the global scale. And very profitable for some of the temporary residents here.

Adapt, don't tinker with what you really don't know everything about, especially if you live there.

Just say no to mad scientists.
Jimmy

Hove, UK

#159054 Mar 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
"f not for man-made influences, the Earth would be in a very cold phase right now and getting even colder, according the joint study by Oregon State University and Harvard University. Marcott was the lead author of the report on its results."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/08/world/world-cli...
Heat is energy is life.
We are supposed to begrudge this increase in temperature because we caused it, they say.
Nevermind the fact that the increased heat allows for more food to be grown to feed 7 billion and growing, and should reduce energy costs in staying warm. But it is a great reason for them to tinker with the planet on the global scale. And very profitable for some of the temporary residents here.
Adapt, don't tinker with what you really don't know everything about, especially if you live there.
Just say no to mad scientists.
when do you get to the part about the invisible man?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#159055 Mar 8, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Yh, we're on to u, u can't hide from us!!!
Even when I'm hiding behind the couch?

Damn !

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#159056 Mar 8, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
And many of the past gender roles are changing. For example, most women now have jobs outside of the home. Most men actually interact with their children now.
<quoted text>
Many women take out the trash. Many men change diapers. Many men cook. Most women have jobs. None of those are particularly male or female jobs: they simply need to get done any anyone can do them.
Very few activities actually require a particular set of genitals.
Good call. I'll agree to that, except the "Most men actually interact with their children now." part.

I didn't like the "now" you added in. Men have been a pivotal role in family life since the dawn of mankind.

I'm not talking about baby-daddies, I'm talking about fathers.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#159057 Mar 8, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I fail to see the difficulty. Either one can take out the trash. When it needs to be taken out, the one that notices does it. Or they decide that one does the trash and the other does the dishes. Or they decide that they alternate.
What do genitals have to do with this? Why is this a male/female role question at all?
Well, maybe their brother lives with them or something, or maybe they have a make roommate....

Women are notorious for not taking out the trash...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#159058 Mar 8, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm missing your point.
It's most likely my fault.
Sorry, I'll scoot over.

;)

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#159059 Mar 8, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
when do you get to the part about the invisible man?
Dave talks to rocks.

M'kay?
KJV

United States

#159060 Mar 8, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>That's cool, but what happened to the boy?
Died on the spot.

He was just awarded a metal.
KJV

United States

#159061 Mar 8, 2013
christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>must have been an atheist

religious would just get on their knees and pray to god! LOL
Now that would be sad. For him to kill himself to save other only to go straight to hell.

If he was an atheist I feel for him.
Thinking

Winsford, UK

#159062 Mar 8, 2013
What of those couldn't we duplicate today, given the money?

Machu Picchu was brilliant, wasn't it?
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
I love a good mystery!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Dogen 58,102
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 7 min IB DaMann 27,281
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 11 hr Dogen 1,904
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 11 hr Eagle 12 5,962
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 12 hr Eagle 12 4,947
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 12 hr Eagle 12 1,940
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 15 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 153
More from around the web