Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158696 Mar 6, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you don't go the auto parts store and ask for an infinite length fan belt.
HA HA HA !!!

They're in between the muffler bearings and turn signal fluid.

Location hidden

#158697 Mar 6, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Deuses são imaginários!
Simplória pessoas sem senso de realidade ou razão.
Eu encontrá-los levemente divertido porém. ;)
Quit yappin & finish that lawn!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#158698 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists don't get on here because they are intellectuals or looking to discuss the subject in an intellectual fashion. That is why you see the same scripts and same rants over and over and over and over.
They are disaffected people who got sucked into being used by an ideology. Again, you can tell by the scripts.
Mean and bitter because they can't find peace, and damned if they will let others have it. Say you have found peace of mind in your religion and see what happens if you don't believe me. That's all one has to say and they will go ape shit.
They most all seem to have one thing in common, and that is a literal mind, just like the fundamentalists they try to paint any theist or deist as. It's knee jerk.
If they can start thinking in allegorical fashion maybe a light will come on in them.
The simple fact is that you can believe you exist, I mean it all seems pretty real, but if you can really think in the abstract, you realize it is all an illusion of some kind, even if you believe in the Big Bang and evolution. Being flash in the pans is a universal concept. One of the biggest illusions of all is the belief that science will save your ass. This illusion came about because of the rapid developments in technology and shows like Star Trek. The 1800's were a bit like that, too. People get caught up in Utopian visions.
Topix atheists need to get into touch with themselves and find out who they really are, and not what they think they want to be. Build your life from there, and the hell with those that use your issues to their advantage. Take the manufactured by stickers off their brains and souls.
Spot on.

They do not deserve enlightenment.

They only deserve ridicule. They invite it.

It would be rude, actually, to not ridicule them.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#158699 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.denverpost.com/brea kingnews/ci_22729461/woman-arr ested-after-waitress-handed-he r-own-id
Small world, isn't it?
For sure not infinite.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#158700 Mar 6, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Oh certainly he suffered brain damage from being knocked loopy. At his age and frail state any trauma to the head would be devastating. But he wasn't from his own account near death.
I have read about boxers having crazy dreams or hallucinations when knocked out.
<quoted text>
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
NDE does not fit into the parameters of hallucination.
You know nothing about the subject.
Even more certain, you know nothing about the physics and physiology occurring in Dave's experience.
You talk through your ass. Ass.
Spiv is a trip. He read about, but hasn't experienced. He learsn from reading, but he ignored the fact I had a dumpt truck and bulldozer come crashing through my driver's door at 40 mph, with me being the center of impact, and being all alone in there for 15 minutes or so hanging upside down, and I was just knocked out like a boxer. Nowhere near death.

Buck, the boy needs a lesson in getting knocked out or a NDE.

Location hidden

#158701 Mar 6, 2013
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23233-c...

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2013/how-the-br...

A couple of recent articles about consciousness.

Those are under drugs.

I think the subconscious has yet to be really understood. Such woul dhave to play a very important part in overall consciousness. After all, it is the key to everything you think. The gateways and routers and all for making connections. Should also be able to make memory imprints of time spent unconscious.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#158702 Mar 6, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Happy to help.

What Dave is saying is that you couldn't pour piss out of your boot unless the instructions were written on the heel.

Hope this is helpful.
When's the wedding?

Are you registered anywhere?

Am I invited?
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#158703 Mar 6, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I can give you something to do on weekends.
...but make sure your dentist is open on Mondays.
You are the kind of a man that we would use as a blueprint to build an idiot. You smell the coffee but can't find the pot or a cup.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158704 Mar 6, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>That's not what he said.

How 'bout this one:

All humanity is a connected idea of something greater, and when doing harm to one, you harm all, including yourself. When you add peace and comfort, when you lighten someone's burden a little, you have exalted yourself, and served the higher idea. When you extend kindness, you have gotten closer to and are experiencing.....uhhh...the Higher Idea.

I like it.

But, yeah, I seem to have been particularly challenged at executing it at times.
At times?

Location hidden

#158705 Mar 6, 2013
http://www.theglobalintelligencer.com/feb2007...

Interesting article. May be of some benefit to Topix atheists, if they can figure how to start.

Location hidden

#158706 Mar 6, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
When's the wedding?
Are you registered anywhere?
Am I invited?
Of course you are. You're the bride. It will be a modern marriage experiment. We will share you.

Aren't you excited?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158707 Mar 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>No they're not. Religious dogme being in government and forcing religion on folks are two different things.

If you see the Ten Commandments at a courthouse, are you now forced to obey them?

When you see gargoyles perched on a building, are you forced to fear them?
When 2 gay people are in love and want to marry, but can't because of a law that originates in religion, then religion is being forced on them.

Location hidden

#158708 Mar 6, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
When 2 gay people are in love and want to marry, but can't because of a law that originates in religion, then religion is being forced on them.
Gays can't marry?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158709 Mar 6, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>The Dave method of learning shown again.

From the ignorance level of his recent posts it seems he has been ahem studying with the wall a lot lately.
I think the wall'a name is Buck.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158710 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Uh, you just pretty much said what I said. Except you think all of the organization is done on the fly. With no checksums.

But here the utter reality. Those words and brain processes have to be turned into "reality", meaning physical processes you can identify with, like the ones that created us and we live in? Otherwise you have a bunch of random firing neurons with no where to go.

Go break a finger, it will do you some good. Get a good grasp of what momentum and mass is. Banging your head against the wall may be of significant value to you. If done hard enough.
Ever jump off a mountain, Dave?

I have.

You should try it.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158711 Mar 6, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>That's not what "believe" means.

You believe many things you don't know.
Yeah?

So?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158712 Mar 6, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>No. We do not.
Yeah.

We do.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158713 Mar 6, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>School teaches you how to think?

What was your brain doing before you entered a school - playing cards with your kidneys?
Attempting to reason with you would be exhausting if I thought you were worth the effort.

You're not.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#158714 Mar 6, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. I'll try again, since you insist.
He is saying when they were handing out brains, you were over in the mouth line asking for seconds.
Better?
That's still just a summary, not a translation. I don't need you to interpret this, I know you believe interpretations can actually mean something but that's not the case.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#158715 Mar 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Gays can't marry?
They cannot utilize the benefits offered hetero marriages, so no, they cannot legally be married.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heaven 1 hr susanblange 2
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr susanblange 697
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 2 hr Patrick 5,585
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 2 hr Patrick 7
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 2 hr Patrick 152
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 10 hr Patrick 140
Is Religion Childish? 14 hr Patrick 3

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE