Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158764 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
So, why the big demand for "marriage" to satisfy role playing? The would just complicate the hell out of public records. And very expensively, that the public has to pay for. Which is overwhelmingly heterosexual and under the belief marriage is to breed and raise children, the next generation. Not to accommodate role players.
Well.....

Some of them are probably role playing. Maybe even some of them want to have a gay marriage just to promote it or because they think it's cool or they want to be more accepted or they want to show off... Who knows?

But I do believe that there are plenty of actual gay people out there that just can't find love or happiness in the opposite sex.

It's weird, I don't get it.

But who cares? I don't have to & neither do you.

Let 'em marry, who gives a shit. That'll just make more money for divorce lawyers.....

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#158765 Mar 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
For the most part, the animal kingdom displays many different variances in males & females. A lot of them act manly or feminine without a social construct like we have.
They act "manly" or "feminine" according to what perspective? If your rump turns red when you are fertile, is that an inherently masculine or feminine trait? If you are a primate? Or an insect?
There are many clear cut deference a between males & females, I don't know why you'd write it as "male" and "female".....
There are generally clear-cut differences between human males and females in, say, modern-day Riverside. But what is considered masculine and feminine varies across cultures and time.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#158766 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://countrystudies.us/egypt/14.htm
Just a squib about Christianity arriving early in Egypt. No relation to the first article. Wonder how many official records left from there?
Nothing surprising here. There was an active Jewish community in Alexandria before Christianity. Unfortunately, the library there was destroyed at a later date. Not many records survived from that.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#158767 Mar 6, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting article. I am curious what the history of that mummy is. There was an active medical school in Salerno from the 10th century, but whether there were dissections of humans there I do not know.
In regard to the development of science during the middle ages: it is well known that the contact with Islamic civilization during the crusades lead to a translation movement and a subsequent intellectual explosion during the 11-13th centuries. While it was often dangerous for those conducting such investigations (many were ex-communicated), it is also known that the foundations of the later scientific revolution were laid down at this time. The church played an ambiguous role: it promoted many of the translations (which were often conducted by monks--including one that became Pope), but it also strictly limited who could read the results and the conclusions that could be drawn from them. In many ways, the problem with the church came later, when Aristotelian philosophy became dogma as opposed to one path of investigation.
It should also be pointed out that the *real* collapse of learning that came between the Roman empire and the translation movement was due to the church's influence and active destruction of manuscripts containing 'banned' ideas. There was also a later decline due to the plague.
The real problem was the Roman Empire, and its transportation and info sharing got fragmented. The Church was the one that gathered it together. The excommunications may have been related more to exposure to a heretic religion than the information gained. Burned and banned books would have been those available to the general public, not those in the possession of the Church for study. Mass media control.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#158768 Mar 6, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Any archaeological evidence for the systematic enslavement of the Jews in Egypt? Or the mass exodus of millions of people out of Egypt through the desert? Or of the Egyptian army being buried in the Red Sea?
Do u think aliens built the pyramids?

It doesn't make sense. How the hell did they built those things without any technology? There's only 1 other logical explanation, aliens!!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158769 Mar 6, 2013
wilderide wrote:
I have no idea. There is no demand for marriage to satisfy role playing...either heterosexual or homosexual role playing.
I don't think that's very fair.

Wouldn't you say they there are some gays out there that are only pretending? Now that the gays are out, it's starting to feel like being gay has become more of a trend than an orientation.

Thoughts?

San Francisco

#158770 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Millions?
Yes, millions.
Slavery can be in different forms. Conscription of tradesmen for public works, which at the time the Pharaoh was the public, would be considered slavery by those tradesmen. They had to leave home and probably didn't get the highest wages they could have.
The problem with white-washing slavery in this case is that the slavery in this case would have to be bad enough to morally justify the atrocities that were purportedly committed by Yahweh against the Egyptians. Atrocities that conspicuously lack any
corroborating evidence.
There are lots of things that happened and got buried and you will never find.
Even if you go specifically to look, based on information provided by the Bible? Because many people have.
Surviving records are scarce from most any age, including just a few hundred years ago.
And yet there are no records at all of the various plagues, nor any mention by other cultures of these millions of homeless Hebrews wandering through their lands. You'd think that would rate some kind of mention.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#158771 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sonny boy, note the word "roles".
Can gay male "brides" have babies?
Also note that the term "animateness" has to do with expression of motion, and not with sex.
Keep going to skool. You may learn something.
I'm passing through tossing a grenade at you, Dave.

Your highlighting of the "role" is irrelevant.

The point still stands, pops.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#158772 Mar 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I think WordWeb Pro 6.6 might just be your Bible....
It's a very comprehensive dictionary, and utilizes many other dictionaries in its definitions.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
A dictionary's definition of gender is:
noun
The state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).
the members of one or other sex.
Do you have a link to that "dictionary"?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#158773 Mar 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't you say they there are some gays out there that are only pretending? Now that the gays are out, it's starting to feel like being gay has become more of a trend than an orientation.
Thoughts?
I totally agree! Some people just do it for the fun of it, those people have got too much lust in them!

Being gay or straight has become like a choice today. One day i can be gay the next day i can be straight and then the third day i'm gonna be both!

It's so weird how everything today has become a disorder. u can't sleep u got sleeping disorder, u eat to much u got eating disorder, u want to f*ck a man and a woman, u'r normal!! LMAO!!

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#158774 Mar 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well.....
Some of them are probably role playing. Maybe even some of them want to have a gay marriage just to promote it or because they think it's cool or they want to be more accepted or they want to show off... Who knows?
But I do believe that there are plenty of actual gay people out there that just can't find love or happiness in the opposite sex.
Let 'em marry, who gives a shit. That'll just make more money for divorce lawyers.....
Hey, did somebody mention money for lawyers?

Here I am, have license, will travel!!

San Francisco

#158775 Mar 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thoughts?
Not that I've seen. I don't think being gay is trendy, certainly not enough to encourage straight people to pretend they are gay. I think it's more likely that gay people are just more visible now.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#158776 Mar 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well.....
Well said.

I Japan homosexual men were marrying homosexual women so they could fulfill social obligations.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#158777 Mar 6, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm passing through tossing a grenade at you, Dave.
Your highlighting of the "role" is irrelevant.
The point still stands, pops.
Bullshit.

Two males can get married. Once can himself the wife.

But they ain't gonna have any babies carrying both their genes. One might if he finds a woman to carry one for him. She is the only one that can play the role of momma.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#158778 Mar 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thoughts?
Homosexuality is different in Japan - but now the Western sexual identities are moving here powerfully. Whereas before many MSM (men who have sex with men) told me "I'm not a homosexual, I just want to have sex with men" a lot of them are embracing it. I think they're tired of living hidden lives - but I'm no longer doing that kind of research, so I don't really keep tabs on the people anymore. Some must still claim not to be homosexuals (and the identity markers that they perceive going along with that).

Met my first lesbian couple here a few months back! One was obviously gay, the other apparently straight, going by stereotypes. Well, they broke up and the straightish one is straight, with a bf. She wants to marry a man, have kids. The other one doesn't.

People are so strange and interesting :)
Billy Bob Gramm

United States

#158779 Mar 6, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>Do u think aliens built the pyramids?

It doesn't make sense. How the hell did they built those things without any technology? There's only 1 other logical explanation, aliens!!
You can't stack rocks with out alien help?

San Francisco

#158780 Mar 6, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Do u think aliens built the pyramids?
LOL! No, they can explain how the pyramids were built, by humans, sometimes slaves, and sometimes not. But there is no evidence that the Hebrews were systematically enslaved.

Now Stonehenge, definitely aliens!

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#158781 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
But they ain't gonna have any babies carrying both their genes. One might if he finds a woman to carry one for him. She is the only one that can play the role of momma.
http://www.geritol.com/
Billy Bob Gramm

United States

#158782 Mar 6, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>I totally agree! Some people just do it for the fun of it, those people have got too much lust in them!

Being gay or straight has become like a choice today. One day i can be gay the next day i can be straight and then the third day i'm gonna be both!

It's so weird how everything today has become a disorder. u can't sleep u got sleeping disorder, u eat to much u got eating disorder, u want to f*ck a man and a woman, u'r normal!! LMAO!!
Just women for me.

San Francisco

#158783 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
LOL! You really have no clue.
But they ain't gonna have any babies carrying both their genes.
That only seems to make a difference to you, Dave.
One might if he finds a woman to carry one for him. She is the only one that can play the role of momma.
Or just surrogate. Just as a sperm donor for a lesbian couple is not necessarily a daddy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 30 min Patrick n Angela 6,113
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 36 min Patrick n Angela 14,614
News Confessions of a black atheist 49 min Samoan Irish 431
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 1 hr Freebird USA 9,347
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr ChristineM 2,066
News The Consequences of Atheism 9 hr JesusWasNOTaJew -... 1,321
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 21 hr Denisova 18,697
More from around the web