Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#158613 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>You are getting creative on definitions again.

School is primarily learning how to do things in a particular approach. A school of thought.

No good if you don't "think" about what you learned.
A good school doesn't teach you what to think.

It teaches you how.

Your school has failed you miserably.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#158614 Mar 5, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Great retort! Edgy!
:-)

Going down for computer maintenance for a while.

With no book.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#158616 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
With no book.
Do it all the Time! Turns out, I believe in me!

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#158617 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Since there have been no intelligent or otherwise worthy posts since my last one, one more thing before I go back to shampooing carpets.
Let's see how many liars we can get here.
Any Topix atheist that has never used Hitchens, Dawkins, or other high priest of atheism, raise your hands.
So much for atheism NOT being a belief system, and one with faith.
*Raises hand*

Atheism is not a belief. It's the realization that everything we were told as children was a lie. Probably not an intentional lie but a lie nonetheless.

Location hidden

#158618 Mar 5, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
*Raises hand*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =-cDAqrywsHEXX
Atheism is not a belief. It's the realization that everything we were told as children was a lie. Probably not an intentional lie but a lie nonetheless.
Sweet one, you've been lied to ever since in that way. By everyone. Including atheists with no belief.

Welcome to life.

Make your own way.

Goodnight

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#158619 Mar 5, 2013
Wow Dave are you tired? Seriously you are really making the jackass out of yourself tonight.

Your head injury must be acting up again eh? Go take a nap and rest your injury.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are getting creative on definitions again.
School is primarily learning how to do things in a particular approach. A school of thought.
No good if you don't "think" about what you learned.

Lexington, KY

#158620 Mar 5, 2013
Computer maintenance/ sleeping. All the same to a senile old man with several head injuries I suppose.

Maybe you will dream of god's green mist tentacles again?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweet one, you've been lied to ever since in that way. By everyone. Including atheists with no belief.
Welcome to life.
Make your own way.
Goodnight

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#158621 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome to life.
Make your own way.
Goodnight
Dave would make a pretty good Pope.

Issuing edicts, pontificating, wearin' one of those fish hats and some robes.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#158622 Mar 5, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave would make a pretty good Pope.
Issuing edicts, pontificating, wearin' one of those fish hats and some robes.
Let's start a charity to get Dave robes befitting his nature!

Lexington, KY

#158623 Mar 5, 2013
He will be the first pope with magnets tied to strings hanging off his tiara!
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's start a charity to get Dave robes befitting his nature!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158626 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>:-)

With no book.
Is that how you pay for computer maintenance?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158627 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Sweet one, you've been lied to ever since in that way. By everyone. Including atheists with no belief.

Welcome to life.

Make your own way.

Goodnight
Hey!

You just said we have no belief.

Your fiancé, Bucky, is going to be pissed.

He might even withhold sex.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158628 Mar 6, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>Let's start a charity to get Dave robes befitting his nature!
With really long sleeves and buckles in the back?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#158629 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe you will fix that car if you read that book? Or those other items?
Reading a book won't fix the car, but it will help to give me the knowledge required to fix it. Learning what other people have discovered means I don't have to waste my time repeating the mistakes they made. Of course, it is good to do the experiments or demonstrations, but ignoring the work that others have done is, literally, ignorance.

Now, at the edge of knowledge, it works a bit differently: you provide your observations and hypotheses and others provide their and then you discuss to see which hypothesis fits best and how to test it further. You still need to read what others have done to keep up, but always with an awareness that they can be as wrong as you are and that we are all simply attempting to understand the universe.

The fact that you refuse to look at what others have done means you will always be behind. I can assure you that your heroes Faraday and Maxwell were very aware of the experiments of Ampere, Watt, Ohm, and others.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#158630 Mar 6, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
,,,,Maybe,...what did you have in mind?
Nothing to get you excited, Iím just pleased to see you happy posts again

#158631 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am exactly as sure as you are but I am backed up by mathematics, logic, facts and science.
<quoted text>
The girl doesn't understand you have to have a one before you can start using your numbers. The concept is just completely absent from her mind.
The manchild does not understand that people such as Einstein had a lot more to their credit than a nobody living in a fantasy davesworld.

#158632 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
How much do you suggest? A gallon, maybe?
Don't need it now. I survived.
Hey, wanna do a threesome?
As much as your psychiatrist thinks you need

If you can call it surviving.

No, Iím afraid you are just going to have to keep on masturbating, as always

#158633 Mar 6, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok so you're in the group that believes the Big Bang was a S L O W explosion of what a singularity?
Where did that singularity come from?
Where did plant come from?
Where did animal life come from?
Lets ask you the same questions

Where did god come from?

Where did plants come from?

Where did animals come from?

This is the mistake that godbots make, they assume that the hurdles they invent for science do not apply to themselves, like they are immune form fact or something.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#158634 Mar 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
?
Have you taken your medication yet?
Hydrochloric acid and tablespoons as some sort of example in support of your argument. Yeah, that was real good.
Will reading a book experience you with how it is to be burned?
Once you have been burned by something, you don't need to be burned by everything to know it can kill you, unless you are a complete and total idiot. Not to mention, exploding isn't just "burning," it's exploding, and you'd be luck to survive it.

Location hidden

#158635 Mar 6, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Reading a book won't fix the car, but it will help to give me the knowledge required to fix it. Learning what other people have discovered means I don't have to waste my time repeating the mistakes they made. Of course, it is good to do the experiments or demonstrations, but ignoring the work that others have done is, literally, ignorance.
Now, at the edge of knowledge, it works a bit differently: you provide your observations and hypotheses and others provide their and then you discuss to see which hypothesis fits best and how to test it further. You still need to read what others have done to keep up, but always with an awareness that they can be as wrong as you are and that we are all simply attempting to understand the universe.
The fact that you refuse to look at what others have done means you will always be behind. I can assure you that your heroes Faraday and Maxwell were very aware of the experiments of Ampere, Watt, Ohm, and others.

Nice post about the existence of books.

I can't resist it.

That is why they made Bibles and other religious texts.:-)

I have read lots and lots and lot of books. Especially manuals. Then I dug in and did the dirty work and discovered some things they didn't cover. They can't cover everything.

That is how I came to see similar patterns.

One thing I have noticed is the detailed descriptions of manuals has diminished over the years as things became more integrated. Plus the language difficulties as manufacturing went overseas. You replace sections now instead of repairing the components. I started in the old days, that is why you see me getting into minute details versus the blanket stuff you work with. I spent 47 weeks of concentrated tech school learning to read schematics, tracing out very complex electromagnetic analog circuitry, with the attendant mechanical aspects of those relay and motors, which affects timing and operation. Lots and lots and lots of parallel and series circuits, with lots and lots and lots of possible paths set up.

You didn't replace a card to see if it fixed the problem. You had to find it and fix it. I was trained to think in details. You and the rest on here think in blocks of info, and not really knowing how the blocks work.

I'm quite familiar with the usefulness of books, Poly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 1 hr Patrick 148
Is Religion Childish? 1 hr Patrick 3
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 1 hr Patrick 3
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr _Bad Company 22,919
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 3 hr Richardfs 5,584
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Richardfs 674
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 5 hr Andre 463

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE