Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Nothing can stop, This Pony..”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#158586 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Since there have been no intelligent or otherwise worthy posts since my last one, one more thing before I go back to shampooing carpets.
Let's see how many liars we can get here.
Any Topix atheist that has never used Hitchens, Dawkins, or other high priest of atheism, raise your hands.
So much for atheism NOT being a belief system, and one with faith.
Trolling again aye?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#158587 Mar 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Trolling again aye?
I caught one?

But it's true.

If you have to quote someone else in your non-belief system, then your non-belief system is a belief system. Particularly when you buy their books.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#158588 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>I take it you don't like being portrayed as a mean and bitter killjoy, and not real bright?

Deal with it.
Awww.

Am I killing your joy?

Poor baby.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158589 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Since there have been no intelligent or otherwise worthy posts since my last one, one more thing before I go back to shampooing carpets.

Any Topix atheist that has never used Hitchens, Dawkins, or other high priest of atheism, raise your hands.

Dave. I thought I was the only freaking atheist in the world before I ran into Harris and then Dawkins and then Hitchens, along with many other notables.

Now, any theist who has ever read a science book, raise your hand.

None?

That's what I thought.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158590 Mar 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Are you trying to say he *didn't suffer brain damage?
It seems he's embraced it.

Westcliffe, CO

#158591 Mar 5, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Awww.
Am I killing your joy?
Poor baby.
You are incapable of that, but I don't trust you around children or the innocents. You are likely a candy thief and toy breaker, and get the giggles from it, in addition to just being an a*shole.

“Nothing can stop, This Pony..”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#158592 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I caught one?
But it's true.
If you have to quote someone else in your non-belief system, then your non-belief system is a belief system. Particularly when you buy their books.
Are you saying school is a belief system?
Of course we quote people in science, but it's not out of faith.
Its more academic than that, its actually called education.
You think quoting Newton is a religious habit, or the periodic table is religious?

Westcliffe, CO

#158593 Mar 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying school is a belief system?
Of course we quote people in science, but it's not out of faith.
Its more academic than that, its actually called education.
You think quoting Newton is a religious habit, or the periodic table is religious?
Actually, yes, school is a belief system. That's why they write books for it. Approved books, of course. For the school district.

Not all schools teach the same thing about some subjects.

Did you believe everything your teachers taught you?
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#158594 Mar 5, 2013
For those not familiar with Robert Green Ingersoll

Robert Ingersoll's tremendous message -- one of the most important messages of all time -- thunders through these volumes. The orator himself has passed away, but the words that woke America from sleep and stupor ring out as liberty bells for all mankind!

The Age of Enlightenment dawned upon the world in that hour when Robert Ingersoll first delivered his lecture on The Gods, the opening chapter of this volume. In that hour the darkness of medieval madness and hypocrisy and witchcraft and superstition began to give way. The armies of the Terrible Unseen commenced to melt away into mist. The phantoms and weird horrors which had haunted the imaginations of men faded in the sunshine and sanity of an Emancipator who was the personal friend of Lincoln and did as much for enslaved minds as Lincoln had done for enslaved bodies!

Were these books of Ingersoll's go there will be tranquillity in the spirits of men. He brings peace to troubled minds, courage to frightened hearts. With infinite gaiety and good-humor he builds up the strong fortress of Reason to defend men against the whirlwinds of Superstition.

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/ro...

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158595 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are incapable of that, but I don't trust you around children or the innocents. You are likely a candy thief and toy breaker, and get the giggles from it, in addition to just being an a*shole.
Are you comparing yourself to a child and an innocent?

That would be appropriate.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#158596 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, yes, school is a belief system. That's why they write books for it. Approved books, of course. For the school district.
Not all schools teach the same thing about some subjects.
Did you believe everything your teachers taught you?
Fixing my car is a belief system, that's why they write books for it.

Programming my computer is a belief system, that's why they write books for it.

Yard work is a belief system, that's why they write books for it.

My microwave is a belief system, that's why they write books for it.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#158597 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Jeez Dave, get over yourself. What hubris!

Westcliffe, CO

#158598 Mar 5, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you comparing yourself to a child and an innocent?
That would be appropriate.
I'm as innocent as they can get. I think you are an idiot with no doubt, or feeling of guilt.

Westcliffe, CO

#158599 Mar 5, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Fixing my car is a belief system, that's why they write books for it.
Programming my computer is a belief system, that's why they write books for it.
Yard work is a belief system, that's why they write books for it.
My microwave is a belief system, that's why they write books for it.
Do you believe you will fix that car if you read that book? Or those other items?

Westcliffe, CO

#158600 Mar 5, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
For those not familiar with Robert Green Ingersoll
Robert Ingersoll's tremendous message -- one of the most important messages of all time -- thunders through these volumes. The orator himself has passed away, but the words that woke America from sleep and stupor ring out as liberty bells for all mankind!
The Age of Enlightenment dawned upon the world in that hour when Robert Ingersoll first delivered his lecture on The Gods, the opening chapter of this volume. In that hour the darkness of medieval madness and hypocrisy and witchcraft and superstition began to give way. The armies of the Terrible Unseen commenced to melt away into mist. The phantoms and weird horrors which had haunted the imaginations of men faded in the sunshine and sanity of an Emancipator who was the personal friend of Lincoln and did as much for enslaved minds as Lincoln had done for enslaved bodies!
Were these books of Ingersoll's go there will be tranquillity in the spirits of men. He brings peace to troubled minds, courage to frightened hearts. With infinite gaiety and good-humor he builds up the strong fortress of Reason to defend men against the whirlwinds of Superstition.
http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/ro...
Poor atheists. They confuse the religion with the men that administer it.

Comes from limited mental abilities.

Those same kind of men also administer every other type of organization. Some are "good", some are "bad".

Some will even run atheist temples.

Westcliffe, CO

#158601 Mar 5, 2013
Yeah, Topix atheists are just the best.

One of their best friends, maybe a beloved relative, falls down a deep hole. It's not looking good.

Hang on, there Joe, if there is no earthquake, or more dirt doesn't collapse, or you can hang on to that little ledge long enough, we will be getting some equipment to attempt a rescue. Hopefully it will get here in time and we don't trigger a bigger collapse, and hopefully we can bring you back up. We all sympathize with your plight there, Joe, and be assured we hope the odds are on our side. Good luck, buddy, just in case they ain't. You know we will do everything humanly possible to get you back out.
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#158602 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor atheists. They confuse the religion with the men that administer it.
Comes from limited mental abilities.
Those same kind of men also administer every other type of organization. Some are "good", some are "bad".
Some will even run atheist temples.
You have one brain cell, and it is fighting for dominance or you could be possessed by a retarded deity.
One thing is certain - we all spring from apes, you just didn't spring far enough.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#158603 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Yeah, Topix atheists are just the best.
One of their best friends, maybe a beloved relative, falls down a deep hole. It's not looking good.
Hang on, there Joe, if there is no earthquake, or more dirt doesn't collapse, or you can hang on to that little ledge long enough, we will be getting some equipment to attempt a rescue. Hopefully it will get here in time and we don't trigger a bigger collapse, and hopefully we can bring you back up. We all sympathize with your plight there, Joe, and be assured we hope the odds are on our side. Good luck, buddy, just in case they ain't. You know we will do everything humanly possible to get you back out.
christian would do nothing but pray pray pray pray pray pray .....

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#158604 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe you will fix that car if you read that book? Or those other items?
You mean, "believe" as in, the evidence suggests that I should be able to follow instructions or do you mean, "I believe that I can close my eyes and pray to the one who inspired the book to be written, the one for which there is no evidence for, and he will fix my car"?

Let me see. What if I read the car manual like christians read the bible? I might change the oil filter and wonder why my tire is still flat.

I would argue with the cop saying, "The light is not out! You just have to believe in it to see it!"

Or maybe I would damned my mechanic because he didn't fix the car the way I would have.

No, when I say that I believe something, it is because there is evidence to support it and if I believe something and someone proves me wrong, I change my beliefs to follow the evidence.

When you say believe, you mean 'blind faith'. No evidence, no research, no questioning, and no listening to other points of view.

Westcliffe, CO

#158605 Mar 5, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean, "believe" as in, the evidence suggests that I should be able to follow instructions or do you mean, "I believe that I can close my eyes and pray to the one who inspired the book to be written, the one for which there is no evidence for, and he will fix my car"?
Let me see. What if I read the car manual like christians read the bible? I might change the oil filter and wonder why my tire is still flat.
I would argue with the cop saying, "The light is not out! You just have to believe in it to see it!"
Or maybe I would damned my mechanic because he didn't fix the car the way I would have.
No, when I say that I believe something, it is because there is evidence to support it and if I believe something and someone proves me wrong, I change my beliefs to follow the evidence.
When you say believe, you mean 'blind faith'. No evidence, no research, no questioning, and no listening to other points of view.
After that rant I don't think you could fix your car with the books, or without.

You do have roadside assistance? You really should.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 26 min Brian_G 16,566
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr positronium 4,721
The Consequences of Atheism 1 hr QUITTNER Feb 27 2015 709
Is Religion Childish? 2 hr ChristineM 134
Well that's religitards for you... 4 hr Thinking 1
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 6 hr ChristineM 6,031
.com | Why is Atheism on the Rise - Final Response Thu QUITTNER Feb 26 2015 2
More from around the web