Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#158577 Mar 5, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You're weird, Dave.
I take it you don't like being portrayed as a mean and bitter killjoy, and not real bright?

Deal with it.

Location hidden

#158578 Mar 5, 2013
Topix atheists don't get on here because they are intellectuals or looking to discuss the subject in an intellectual fashion. That is why you see the same scripts and same rants over and over and over and over.

They are disaffected people who got sucked into being used by an ideology. Again, you can tell by the scripts.

Mean and bitter because they can't find peace, and damned if they will let others have it. Say you have found peace of mind in your religion and see what happens if you don't believe me. That's all one has to say and they will go ape shit.

They most all seem to have one thing in common, and that is a literal mind, just like the fundamentalists they try to paint any theist or deist as. It's knee jerk.

If they can start thinking in allegorical fashion maybe a light will come on in them.

The simple fact is that you can believe you exist, I mean it all seems pretty real, but if you can really think in the abstract, you realize it is all an illusion of some kind, even if you believe in the Big Bang and evolution. Being flash in the pans is a universal concept. One of the biggest illusions of all is the belief that science will save your ass. This illusion came about because of the rapid developments in technology and shows like Star Trek. The 1800's were a bit like that, too. People get caught up in Utopian visions.

Topix atheists need to get into touch with themselves and find out who they really are, and not what they think they want to be. Build your life from there, and the hell with those that use your issues to their advantage. Take the manufactured by stickers off their brains and souls.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#158579 Mar 5, 2013
You are certainly on to something. Isn't it sad how indoctrination and delusion blinds and binds them?
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that most theists have an allergy to facts. That's my hypothesis, now I can't prove it yet, but I'm close to accumulating enough evidence to submit for peer review at this point.

Lexington, KY

#158580 Mar 5, 2013
Books are a tremendous asset in human learning Dave. You before clearly stated that books were not useful for learning but hurting yourself was.

Dave says: books bad- injuring yourself good.not just injuring mind you but breaking things on your body! Dave your upcoming broken hip will not teach you much. A book on the scientific process would.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't learn from books, you becomes acquainted with things.

Lexington, KY

#158581 Mar 5, 2013
Dave. Honestly. You are unable to understand yourself or even basic concepts like a near death experience requires being near death not just knocked loopy.

That being proven you really shouldn't claim to understand and explain what topix atheists or anyone for that matter do or think, seeing as how you are unable to properly explain even yourself.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists don't get on here because they are intellectuals or looking to discuss the subject in an intellectual fashion. That is why you see the same scripts and same rants over and over and over and over.
They are disaffected people who got sucked into being used by an ideology. Again, you can tell by the scripts.
Mean and bitter because they can't find peace, and damned if they will let others have it. Say you have found peace of mind in your religion and see what happens if you don't believe me. That's all one has to say and they will go ape shit.
They most all seem to have one thing in common, and that is a literal mind, just like the fundamentalists they try to paint any theist or deist as. It's knee jerk.
If they can start thinking in allegorical fashion maybe a light will come on in them.
The simple fact is that you can believe you exist, I mean it all seems pretty real, but if you can really think in the abstract, you realize it is all an illusion of some kind, even if you believe in the Big Bang and evolution. Being flash in the pans is a universal concept. One of the biggest illusions of all is the belief that science will save your ass. This illusion came about because of the rapid developments in technology and shows like Star Trek. The 1800's were a bit like that, too. People get caught up in Utopian visions.
Topix atheists need to get into touch with themselves and find out who they really are, and not what they think they want to be. Build your life from there, and the hell with those that use your issues to their advantage. Take the manufactured by stickers off their brains and souls.

Location hidden

#158582 Mar 5, 2013
Since there have been no intelligent or otherwise worthy posts since my last one, one more thing before I go back to shampooing carpets.

Let's see how many liars we can get here.

Any Topix atheist that has never used Hitchens, Dawkins, or other high priest of atheism, raise your hands.

So much for atheism NOT being a belief system, and one with faith.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#158583 Mar 5, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Dave. Honestly. You are unable to understand yourself or even basic concepts like a near death experience requires being near death not just knocked loopy.
That being proven you really shouldn't claim to understand and explain what topix atheists or anyone for that matter do or think, seeing as how you are unable to properly explain even yourself.
<quoted text>

Are you trying to say he *didn't suffer brain damage?

Lexington, KY

#158584 Mar 5, 2013
Oh certainly he suffered brain damage from being knocked loopy. At his age and frail state any trauma to the head would be devastating. But he wasn't from his own account near death.

I have read about boxers having crazy dreams or hallucinations when knocked out.
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you trying to say he *didn't suffer brain damage?

Lexington, KY

#158585 Mar 5, 2013
Yes go shampoo some carpets Dave and hey maybe you will be lucky enough to have an accident and do some learning!

Lmfao!:))
Dave Nelson wrote:
Since there have been no intelligent or otherwise worthy posts since my last one, one more thing before I go back to shampooing carpets.
Any Topix atheist that has never used Hitchens, Dawkins, or other high priest of atheism, raise your hands.

Location hidden

#158586 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Trolling again aye?

Location hidden

#158587 Mar 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Trolling again aye?
I caught one?

But it's true.

If you have to quote someone else in your non-belief system, then your non-belief system is a belief system. Particularly when you buy their books.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#158588 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>I take it you don't like being portrayed as a mean and bitter killjoy, and not real bright?

Deal with it.
Awww.

Am I killing your joy?

Poor baby.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158589 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:

Dave. I thought I was the only freaking atheist in the world before I ran into Harris and then Dawkins and then Hitchens, along with many other notables.

Now, any theist who has ever read a science book, raise your hand.

None?

That's what I thought.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158590 Mar 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Are you trying to say he *didn't suffer brain damage?
It seems he's embraced it.

Location hidden

#158591 Mar 5, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Awww.
Am I killing your joy?
Poor baby.
You are incapable of that, but I don't trust you around children or the innocents. You are likely a candy thief and toy breaker, and get the giggles from it, in addition to just being an a*shole.

Location hidden

#158592 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I caught one?
But it's true.
If you have to quote someone else in your non-belief system, then your non-belief system is a belief system. Particularly when you buy their books.
Are you saying school is a belief system?
Of course we quote people in science, but it's not out of faith.
Its more academic than that, its actually called education.
You think quoting Newton is a religious habit, or the periodic table is religious?

Location hidden

#158593 Mar 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying school is a belief system?
Of course we quote people in science, but it's not out of faith.
Its more academic than that, its actually called education.
You think quoting Newton is a religious habit, or the periodic table is religious?
Actually, yes, school is a belief system. That's why they write books for it. Approved books, of course. For the school district.

Not all schools teach the same thing about some subjects.

Did you believe everything your teachers taught you?
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#158594 Mar 5, 2013
For those not familiar with Robert Green Ingersoll

Robert Ingersoll's tremendous message -- one of the most important messages of all time -- thunders through these volumes. The orator himself has passed away, but the words that woke America from sleep and stupor ring out as liberty bells for all mankind!

The Age of Enlightenment dawned upon the world in that hour when Robert Ingersoll first delivered his lecture on The Gods, the opening chapter of this volume. In that hour the darkness of medieval madness and hypocrisy and witchcraft and superstition began to give way. The armies of the Terrible Unseen commenced to melt away into mist. The phantoms and weird horrors which had haunted the imaginations of men faded in the sunshine and sanity of an Emancipator who was the personal friend of Lincoln and did as much for enslaved minds as Lincoln had done for enslaved bodies!

Were these books of Ingersoll's go there will be tranquillity in the spirits of men. He brings peace to troubled minds, courage to frightened hearts. With infinite gaiety and good-humor he builds up the strong fortress of Reason to defend men against the whirlwinds of Superstition.

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/ro...

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158595 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are incapable of that, but I don't trust you around children or the innocents. You are likely a candy thief and toy breaker, and get the giggles from it, in addition to just being an a*shole.
Are you comparing yourself to a child and an innocent?

That would be appropriate.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#158596 Mar 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, yes, school is a belief system. That's why they write books for it. Approved books, of course. For the school district.
Not all schools teach the same thing about some subjects.
Did you believe everything your teachers taught you?
Fixing my car is a belief system, that's why they write books for it.

Programming my computer is a belief system, that's why they write books for it.

Yard work is a belief system, that's why they write books for it.

My microwave is a belief system, that's why they write books for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 27 min Thinking 3
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 44 min Thinking 2,293
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 47 min TheHeadlines 145
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 9 hr Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 10 hr Thinking 3
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) Sat polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Sat Yiago 148
More from around the web