Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#158496 Mar 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are full of shit.
Just another delusional Utopian.
I'm terrified of death, eh?
It's not a fun event. Nothing you would want to do for recreation. But I checked out before in a conscious state. You haven't. You are whistling past the graveyard.
If you are lucky your end will be very quick and final. A done deal. If you get sick and linger, I will guarantee you will go through some agony as that end approaches. Your whistling will stop. You will realize the illusory life you led. Reality really starts to set in. Good luck to you.
The difference between you and me and experience with that subject is I went through that emotional agony. You talk big. Let's say we see it coming and it is unavoidable, we can join hands and walk into death. I would just step from here to there, but likely to pause because I will have to pull you those last steps. Or I may just let you go.
Should I become sick and know that I will linger in agony, I have the means for a quick and painless death should it come to that. I have no moral restraints as you do. Killing yourself is a sin right? I am not restricted by any such foolishness.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#158497 Mar 4, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You....are the last person on the face of the earth that I would care to impress.
Good for you. Would disturb your comfort level if it was important to you.

Westcliffe, CO

#158498 Mar 4, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Lmfao!
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha!
That's that's that's just.....
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha!!!
Having a senile moment Dave?
<quoted text>
That man has some age, experience, and intelligence, and his blathering doesn't impress me.

Can you even grasp how less significant you are to me, or to anyone else?

I figure not. There is nothing in you but the noise you can make.

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#158500 Mar 4, 2013
Well Dave just called you out fella! He so rightfully dubbed you as one of them there book reading types! Yes he pointed out the fact that you unlike him received a tsk proper education! Reading those books with few or no pictures!

How you gonna reach magnet heaven and misunderstand everything like he does if you insist on reading books!

Pffftttt!

The Dave way of learning involves not those picture light books but hurting yourself and suffering several head injuries. Only after a baker's dozen head injuries and permanent brain damage can you have an NDE that isn't even an NDE! Or that deists tell people to believe in Jesus or burn in Hell forever! Or that intelligent design has to be correct because of wrestling with green mist strings in a dream/hallucination after banging your head! Ain't wrestling green mist strings enough proof that Jesus exists for you?

Now do like Dave does and put down them there learning books and get to injuring your head.

Lol!:))
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You....are the last person on the face of the earth that I would care to impress.

Westcliffe, CO

#158501 Mar 4, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Should I become sick and know that I will linger in agony, I have the means for a quick and painless death should it come to that. I have no moral restraints as you do. Killing yourself is a sin right? I am not restricted by any such foolishness.
Big talk, Bubba. You have too much to lose. Including your memories.

Killing yourself to escape is stupid. I have no religious morals about that if that is what you are saying. You haven't read what I have written about myself, have you?

Chicago, IL

#158502 Mar 4, 2013
Plus I like reading them there fancy city slicker learning books and don't hurt myself! Of all the nerve eh Dave?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That man has some age, experience, and intelligence, and his blathering doesn't impress me.
Can you even grasp how less significant you are to me, or to anyone else?
I figure not. There is nothing in you but the noise you can make.

Westcliffe, CO

#158503 Mar 4, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Plus I like reading them there fancy city slicker learning books and don't hurt myself! Of all the nerve eh Dave?
<quoted text>
http://www.vice.com/read/flip-v14n4

Westcliffe, CO

#158504 Mar 4, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_as...
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#158505 Mar 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Killing yourself to escape is stupid. I have no religious morals about that if that is what you are saying. You haven't read what I have written about myself, have you?
If death is emanate and there is no possibility of recovery then why keep yourself alive? Just to suffer? Assisted suicide should be made legal. You know why its not? Because of religion. Once more religion raises its ugly head and forces it's beliefs on the masses. For what other reason is there that a sick and dying person can't decide to end his misery?
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#158506 Mar 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you. Would disturb your comfort level if it was important to you.
In a perfect world, every human should be important to everyone. To bad religion gets in the way and draws insurmountable lines in the sand. I'd be willing to bet that should we actually meet, that our attitudes towards each other would change. Maybe not, but I think yes!

Westcliffe, CO

#158507 Mar 4, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>If death is emanate and there is no possibility of recovery then why keep yourself alive? Just to suffer? Assisted suicide should be made legal. You know why its not? Because of religion. Once more religion raises its ugly head and forces it's beliefs on the masses. For what other reason is there that a sick and dying person can't decide to end his misery?
No one is stopping you, is there?

If you really want to die you will. People do it all the time.

Assisted suicide cuts into the medical industry's profits.

Goodnight.

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#158508 Mar 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is stopping you, is there?
If you really want to die you will. People do it all the time.
Assisted suicide cuts into the medical industry's profits.
Goodnight.
It's about time ain't it? lol

Lexington, KY

#158509 Mar 4, 2013
When it comes to idiotic godbot statements this one of Dave's is nirvana. I mean what more can you ask out a bible thumping Christhole to admit that they are against the reading of books and prefer self injury as a learning tool?

The jokes write themselves.

Dave has plunged deeper into stupidity and ignorance than Inwould wager any other believer on this forum.

This statement of his that he made in sheer honest anger is the pinnacle of belief stupidity and shows the real problem with believers.

I think the only way he could have made it better is if he said Jesus told him that books were bad and self harm was good.

Ladies and gentlemen I give you Dave Nelson the prime example of a believer in God. Books bad.. Self injury good.... Quote Dave Nelson. Never dumber.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your journey of discovery consists of reading books. Mine was breaking parts of my body in doing it. In addition to reading books.
Do you really think your blathering impresses me?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#158510 Mar 4, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>If death is emanate and there is no possibility of recovery then why keep yourself alive? Just to suffer? Assisted suicide should be made legal. You know why its not? Because of religion. Once more religion raises its ugly head and forces it's beliefs on the masses. For what other reason is there that a sick and dying person can't decide to end his misery?
Imminent...

I don't have any religion.

Want me to come over and smother you with your pillow right now?

The world would consider it a favor.

Location hidden

#158511 Mar 4, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You're kind of jumping to conclusions there - he didn't say he was an atheist or anti-god. I know lots of scientists who are also Christians. They just take a longer view than other Christians and tacitly assume God's plan involved abiogenesis and evolution. I suppose, if the universe is designed by your God (ha!- why not any of the others?), then the words should really be "apparent" abiogenesis.
RR, there are facts, yes, but our ability to understand them is not perfect. Facts, as you use the term, are phenomena left over from events in the past - the microwave background radiation from the Big Bang that we use to describe and study it, fossils, ancient rocks, etc. You know we get all of our understanding of Earth's early environment from ancient rocks?(and models based on predictions made in chemistry and physics).
So how good our science is at measuring, studying - even noticing - these "facts" is the limit of our ability to know the past.
There are also atheists and agnostics in science who do not accept the theory of evolution as stated, nor abiogenesis. They object on scientific and logical grounds.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#158512 Mar 4, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Imminent...
I don't have any religion.
Want me to come over and smother you with your pillow right now?
The world would consider it a favor.
Embarrassed because you don't understand how evolution works? Have no idea what the word component means and how it factors in with the process of evolution? Yeah, I'd be mightily embarrassed if I were you.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#158513 Mar 4, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
There are also atheists and agnostics in science who do not accept the theory of evolution as stated, nor abiogenesis. They object on scientific and logical grounds.
Booh!

This is your conscience, the First Amendment.

And Thomas Jefferson.

Location hidden

#158514 Mar 4, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
If only some individuals in a population survive and they do so because of a trait they have, and that trait is passed onto their offspring, that is evolution, Buck.
I really can't see how you're denying that natural selection is an evolutionary process. It is the mechanism by which adaptation evolves.
Genetic drift doesn't produce adaptation. Gene flow rarely does. It's natural selection, baby, all the way.
You added another component to natural selection to get what you claim is evolution. That's my point - natural selection is not evolution.

I agree natural selection is the proposed mechanism of evolution.

But it is not evolution.

Passing the trait that allowed survival is in no way a different process than if the trait had not aided survival. That is simple reproduction.

Nothing in the example offered yet is evolution.

Natural selection is not evolution. If it were, we would have no use for the term "evolution". We would simply say the process of natural selection gives us our biologic diversity.

If you divorce science from logic, it ends up being mush - which is what attempts to describe evolution has become.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#158515 Mar 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#158516 Mar 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is the change of a population due to genetic mutations and selected by natural selection. Learn you relationships in science or just give up, we know you're good at giving up.
Genetic mutation is not necessary for natural selection.

Would you like another try, KittenOdor?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 8 min I Am No One_ 9,481
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 5 hr TC_Tia 14,656
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr MikeF 19,806
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) Sun thetruth 6,221
News Atheism must be about more than just not believ... Sat Amused 2
Should atheists have the burden of proof? Sat thetruth 38
News Founders created secular nation (Jul '10) Sat knight of Jesus 521
More from around the web