Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
152,201 - 152,220 of 224,163 Comments Last updated 8 min ago

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who did what in D.C.?
Me! Me! I know! <with hand raised>

The Supreme Court. They lied about the Constitution, saying it contains provisions that prohibit such things as crosses on public land. They made folklore into official legal doctrine.

Seeing as how our education system is far-left, they started teaching empty skulls that the Constitution actually prohibits such things. Then a Communist group called the ACLU (I don't know if they are headquartered in Washington) amassed a lot of money from America-hating donors, and can now intimidate any municipality from having anything displayed that the America-haters find objectionable.

The End.

I'll be here all week.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a piece of glass from a beer bottle embedded in my head.
Also, a link out of a motorcycle chain.
I would get them removed, but it's a hoot to peck on them with a spoon in time with the music in clubs.
Well...

That explains a lot.

I'll try to be nicer to you.

Not much, though.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
"NDE'S" have happened in many cultures. They are different for the Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Jaguar, Frog or Earth worshiping Animist. Culture plays heavily in the experience. People who talk about "core" experiences, are basing that on thousands of cases, and every case doesn't include all of the core experiences. You'd think if there was a reality to the NDE, there would be a set of, say, five experiences that always happen.
A "core" experience just needs to have, for instance, one out of a possible ten of those "core" experiences. This is never really mentioned. I'll add sometimes a person may experience "7" of the core events.'Core experiences", gives the impression all of them happen, always. That isn't the case.
Not all NDE's incorporate a deity experience. Not all NDE's indicate(as related by the person experiencing it) that there is a perceived expectation of 'afterlife".
Many NDE survivors(they never actually died), mention that its an entirely non religious experience.
It seems for some people it might be religious, for others, not "religious" at all. That seems odd to me.
It could be just that, the person was near to death, and they didn't die. The brain(proven to do a similar thing in traumatic injuries), provided a comfortable environment, instead of replaying the last thing a person saw before coming close to death, such as a 60 ft plunge off a cliff, or a 100 mph car crash into a Big Rig traveling at 60 mph....over, and over, and over, and over, till consciousness is resumed.
And when you do, you might be insane from watching Aunt Jenny's head vaporize on impact with the CD player. Repeatedly.
While you are close to death it isn't unreasonable to think the mind places you in a waiting room, filled with numerous things drawn from the subconscious mind and memory. Either chemically induced, or chemically and subconsciously initiated, like a deep dream state. I wouldn't assert that's what happens, however.
We can't even begin to know the effects of all the drugs that are given to heart attack patients(a high #% of NDE reports), and what that does to the mind. Info like that isn't collected in the emergency rooms and may never be. Saving the life is the priority in that setting. Stick'em, drug'em, shock'em, beat on'em, repeat as needed.
Here's the thing, you'd have to die to know if it's actual experience or precursor to some sort of after life, and it isn't a NDE then. Is it?
Its a "DE" (death experience) at that point.
No one survives death, and by death, I mean life>death>rigor mortis.
NDE's and the books written about them and the musings offered are nothing more than speculation. That's all that can be said or asserted about NDE's. Much like deities, they can be neither proven or disproved.
It's a futile debate in thinking you'll prove whatever it is you think they are. It doesn't matter if you're the most brilliant mind on the face of the earth, that you think you've had a NDE, and that others believe your observations must be given more weight than a Wino that says he had one too is an error in reasoning.
What is your criteria for dying?

It seems to be, the subject is not resuscitated.

That is not an objective criterion.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Similar here. We get the Christmas "season" now starting just after Halloween. The entire month of December is the same old Christmas music in every retail store. No one likes it, but they play it anyway.
Oh, then there's the lights, the lights, the lights, and then some more lights. The trees, presents, mistletoe, garland, wreaths, pumpkin pies, blah, blah, blah, blah.....
BAH!
Humbug!
I had several customers over the years that depended on Christmas for the majority of the their business and profit. Not just your store retailers, but manufacturers and suppliers of Christmas decorations and the such.

They were all Jewish.

Everyone celebrates making money.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You know it seems to me just because the city owns a historical old property , it wouldn't give them the right to change it.
Anymore than anyone has the right to change a historical old property. It's a piece of history, but that's just my take on it.
Is that we take history as it comes, and don't try to change it to suit ourselves, because that's as big a crime as reinventing history.
But on another note I'm surprised people don't complain about cross headstones on public land as well. "sigh"
And what's funny is that a main historical monument for Riverside is the Mission Inn. It's been there since 1876, it used to be a small hotel but became America's largest "Mission Revival Style" building and has had a lage Chapel in it since 1930.

The Mission Inn's bell logo is now the Riverside logo. The same people that built the Mission Inn erected that cross and the bell up on Mt Rubidoux.

Atheists love the Mission, but hate the cross....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a waste of time. And it's very selfish of the atheists to want a city landmark removed because it hurt their delicate feelings.
It's far worse than a waste of time.

It is an encroachment on American freedom, it is destruction of the Constitution, it is intimidation of citizens, and it is a suppression of free thought.

And guess what - that is exactly why they do it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I see the principle, the importance of ensuring compliance with the Constitution, as necessary.
In what way is that cross violating the Constitution?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I had several customers over the years that depended on Christmas for the majority of the their business and profit. Not just your store retailers, but manufacturers and suppliers of Christmas decorations and the such.
They were all Jewish.
Everyone celebrates making money.
Not me. I hate money '_'

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
What fact are you talking about?
What is the "fact" of evolution?
It would help if, when claiming something is a fact, you could say what the fact is.
There are at least 9 definitions of evolution is scientific literature.
When you say it's a "fact", you have said nothing.
Some of the terms called "evolution" might be fact, but some clearly are not fact.
You are a moron. That's a fact.
He's talking about the facts of his successul education, I mean indoctrination, I mean brainwashing into the atheist doctrine. It starts with "We the people, in order to think that we're always right....."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It's far worse than a waste of time.
It is an encroachment on American freedom, it is destruction of the Constitution, it is intimidation of citizens, and it is a suppression of free thought.
And guess what - that is exactly why they do it.
I know, it pisses me off. Makes me wanna bash some atheist skulls. But then I remember the boobie bars & calm down.

Then go to Riverside city hall & fight the good fight.

It's actually encouraging to see that there's so many Riversidians that want that cross to remain - regardless of any religious ties to it.

It's a friggin landmark that's been there for 106 years and all of a sudden it hurts the atheists feelers....
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
First, even Hiding admitted abiogenesis is "necessary" for current evolutionary theory.
Second, ID is not rooted in anything supernatural.
In other words, something undiscovered and unknown to exist is necessary for evolution, but not for ID.
As far as I know high school courses that teach evolution make no mention of how life came to be. You are trying to "add" another step by saying either abiogenesis of ID must be included, it doesn't, nor should it. How a species changes over time is all that needs to be taught.

Of course ID is rooted in the supernatural, how could you even begin to claim it doesn't? Abiogenesis has some science behind it, mitt has some evidence. Just the fact that you can create the building blocks for life, Amino Acids from chemical compounds jolted with energy, is enough to bear that out. We have a working hypothesis with abiogenesis. With ID you have ONLY a totally unsupported belief.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Not me. I hate money '_'
I'm not a big fan of it, but it is easier to carry than sheep, goats, and blocks of stone when going to the store.

However, economics is the salvation of the world if done right. They just ain't done it right, yet.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>As far as I know high school courses that teach evolution make no mention of how life came to be. You are trying to "add" another step by saying either abiogenesis of ID must be included, it doesn't, nor should it. How a species changes over time is all that needs to be taught.
Of course ID is rooted in the supernatural, how could you even begin to claim it doesn't? Abiogenesis has some science behind it, mitt has some evidence. Just the fact that you can create the building blocks for life, Amino Acids from chemical compounds jolted with energy, is enough to bear that out. We have a working hypothesis with abiogenesis. With ID you have ONLY a totally unsupported belief.
You can be incredibly dense.

The argument is about teaching abiogenesis as the only causation of life in high schools. If you don't stop it, they will.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>As far as I know high school courses that teach evolution make no mention of how life came to be. You are trying to "add" another step by saying either abiogenesis of ID must be included, it doesn't, nor should it. How a species changes over time is all that needs to be taught.
Oh, and you are wrong on that last holy pronouncement there.

Abiogenesis is only a method of assembly, not a causation by itself.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your criteria for dying?
It seems to be, the subject is not resuscitated.
That is not an objective criterion.
How is it not objective?

It's certainly definitive.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
What fact are you talking about?
What is the "fact" of evolution?
It would help if, when claiming something is a fact, you could say what the fact is.
There are at least 9 definitions of evolution is scientific literature.
When you say it's a "fact", you have said nothing.
Some of the terms called "evolution" might be fact, but some clearly are not fact.
You are a moron. That's a fact.
EVOLUTION...Hereditary changes in a population over MANY generations!!!! Are you telling me this is NOT a fact!!!!

Bacteria that "evolve" to become resistant to antibiotics is NOT a fact????

Insects that "evolve" to become resistant to insecticides is NOT a fact?????

Do you now deny these FACTS?

1.) That all major life forms now on the Earth were NOT at all present in the past. There were NO birds or mammals 250 million years ago.

2.) That major life forms of the past are no longer living. All living things came from previously living forms. Therefore, ALL present life forms arose from ancestral forms that were different.

No person who pretends to understand the natural world can deny these FACTS any more than they can deny the Earth is round, spins on its axis, and revolves around the sun.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I wanna do more than that.....
C'mon, big boy.
Apparently that's the only way you can win your point!!! Reason logic certainly don't do it for you!!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You can be incredibly dense.
The argument is about teaching abiogenesis as the only causation of life in high schools. If you don't stop it, they will.
So your worried about something that MAY be taught, not what is presently taught!! Do you have some indication that school systems throughout the country are aggressively moving in that direction?

Do you agree that a biology class should be taught that from complex chemicals Amino Acids can be formed, the building blocks for life? Or should we withhold this information from the students because of the implications?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

Stupid, moronic, brain dead Topix atheists.

SCIENCE IS ONLY THE STUDY OF HOW THINGS ARE PUT TOGETHER AND HOW THEY WORK. NOT HOW IT ALL STARTED.

Who in the hell told you idiots it was a religion?

There is one HUGE impediment to your innermost desire to be the superstars of the universe and all of existence.

Reality.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

Then go to Riverside city hall & fight the good fight.
Sounds like my cup of tea.

Where is the meeting?

Would do me good to knock somebody's head through the rim of his ass.

Ummm. Pardon me for getting sentimental.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 5 min Patrick 217
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Growupchildren 21,392
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 10 hr DonPanic 1,285
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 13 hr religionisillness 271
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 13 hr religionisillness 370
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu religionisillness 834
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... Thu Patrick 16
•••
•••