Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244844 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#158274 Mar 3, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Your suggestion is ridiculous. The design inference is in no way supported by any of our sciences. If we were to teach children that life could have been produced by design or chance, as you put it, we would be lying to them.
Biology class is for teaching biology, not fantasy or religion.
The real heart of your problem is that you recognize that biological science supports the atheist position, and you don't like it. Tough. Children can also go to religion classes if they want to understand that, and can go to social science classes to understand how people work.
Then you are indoctrinating in atheism.

It does not support as I pointed out in a previous post tonight.

People of your mindset need to be removed from the public education system.

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#158275 Mar 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Riverside isn't selling the property with the cross on it to shut up anybody.
The sale is required so that the City doesn't run afoul of the U.S. Constitution.
Heard of it? First Amendment and all that?
Even Buck knows about that.

You mean it is a requirement in the People Republic of California?
It seems more a non-issue and a complete waste of time to argue about such trivial things.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#158276 Mar 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
I mentioned the green smoky trail in my NDE surprising me. And the wrestling with it.
This was one of those surprise events I encountered in that experience. There was absolutely zero reason for me to see such a thing. Later someone said it sounded like my kundalini. I had no knowledge anything like that existed. Never delved into or got acquainted with those sort of things. Totally ignorant of them.
But there I was after going through the black tunnel and drifting to the back of the van looking back toward the front and groaning about the mess I would have to straighten out, and then catching the sight of this green trail coming over the divider I had passed through. Without ever having giving it a thought I passed through a divider. I was totally focused on seeing what was going on. The only reason I caught sight of it was because it was backlit by sunlight coming through the front. It wasn't a straight path. The divider was solid on the bottom and grill at the top. It came through the grill and then dropped before going to the back and heading into me. The exact path of my consciousness and its "vision".
It scared me to death, Kind of a pun there. All I could think at that moment was snake and it was going for me. There was a furious whirlwind type tussle for a few seconds, and then my consciousness collapsed, exhausted. And the realization I just died. I was in the back of the van. My body was laying in the front. Never even thought to take a look at it.
That was the first change of consciousness, and when I considered inserting myself into someone else. When that was over, another occurred. No thinking in words, no memories, no nothing tied to this world and the conscious thinking we do. It was time to go. Then came the wakeup, and the wanting to go back to sleep to escape where I was. Then a period of I can't remember, and a re-emergence back into the van, and a gazing out of where I was going next.
There was not the tiniest bit of anything I could have expected from my physical consciousness. Death had always been this vague thing you did some day. A bridge to be crossed when you got there.
But that green trail kundalini thing was really interesting, looking back at it. Who would ever expect to be bit by a snake in a van after a traffic accident? I didn't.
Sounds like a Salvia experience to me. Just sayin. Very similar. Yours seems to have a sinister aspect of a sort.

Sans Salvia.

“Rising”

Milky Way

#158277 Mar 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Riverside isn't selling the property with the cross on it to shut up anybody.
The sale is required so that the City doesn't run afoul of the U.S. Constitution.
Heard of it? First Amendment and all that?
Even Buck knows about that.
You know it seems to me just because the city owns a historical old property , it wouldn't give them the right to change it.
Anymore than anyone has the right to change a historical old property. It's a piece of history, but that's just my take on it.
Is that we take history as it comes, and don't try to change it to suit ourselves, because that's as big a crime as reinventing history.

But on another note I'm surprised people don't complain about cross headstones on public land as well. "sigh"

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#158278 Mar 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean it is a requirement in the People Republic of California?
It seems more a non-issue and a complete waste of time to argue about such trivial things.
I disagree.

I don't like slippery slopes. First, the cross on the hill. Next,...

The Constitution matters.

And yes, California IS a republic by the way.

Westcliffe, CO

#158279 Mar 3, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like a Salvia experience to me. Just sayin. Very similar. Yours seems to have a sinister aspect of a sort.
Sans Salvia.
Actually it was 100% 1979 Ford F-800 dump truck pulling a large bulldozer at 40 MPH according to the accident report. Which was why he was gauging the light. I don't recall seeing it, myself.

That was a private school I had left. It could have easily been a car full of kids.

Westcliffe, CO

#158280 Mar 3, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Sans Salvia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum...

I can't really say that fit the experience. At all.

“Rising”

Milky Way

#158281 Mar 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree.
I don't like slippery slopes. First, the cross on the hill. Next,...
The Constitution matters.
And yes, California IS a republic by the way.
But the only thing accomplished is a forced sale of a tiny piece of worthless property that no one would buy except someone who had interest in seeing it will not change.
So in the end nothing changes , a worthless endeavor. Unless someone is so spiteful they would buy it just to knock it down and change a historical landmark, which would take an awfully evil person to do so.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#158282 Mar 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you are indoctrinating in atheism.
It does not support as I pointed out in a previous post tonight.
People of your mindset need to be removed from the public education system.
No people like Hidding need to be running the education system. People like you need to stay away from it else we will end up in the dark ages again. Godbots had their shot and screwed up the advancement of man for 2000 years. So stand aside and let people real real education get on with the job.

There is no scientific theory or mathematical expression that has a "goddidit" term and that scares you because your stupid beliefs in mythology are obsolete.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#158283 Mar 3, 2013
CORRECTION:-
So stand aside and let people real education get on with the job.

Long Beach, CA

#158284 Mar 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
But the only thing accomplished is a forced sale of a tiny piece of worthless property that no one would buy except someone who had interest in seeing it will not change.
So in the end nothing changes , a worthless endeavor. Unless someone is so spiteful they would buy it just to knock it down and change a historical landmark, which would take an awfully evil person to do so.
I see the principle, the importance of ensuring compliance with the Constitution, as necessary.
bohart

Newport, TN

#158285 Mar 3, 2013
christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
bookmark this and share w your other religitards
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis
You are an idiot of galactic proportions. I ask for evidence and you provide a damn wiki link to an unproved theory! What a dumb ass!

Westcliffe, CO

#158286 Mar 3, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
No people like Hidding need to be running the education system. People like you need to stay away from it else we will end up in the dark ages again. Godbots had their shot and screwed up the advancement of man for 2000 years. So stand aside and let people real real education get on with the job.
There is no scientific theory or mathematical expression that has a "goddidit" term and that scares you because your stupid beliefs in mythology are obsolete.
You need to be removed to a mental institution.

Westcliffe, CO

#158287 Mar 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I see the principle, the importance of ensuring compliance with the Constitution, as necessary.
If it suits your ideology.

Long Beach, CA

#158288 Mar 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If it suits your ideology.
It is a vital part of my ideology.

Westcliffe, CO

#158289 Mar 3, 2013
"The atheist extremist would hold views which would be considered extreme by most members of the atheist community. Like any other type of extremist, an atheist extremist would be irrational. This irrationality would be manifest through cognitive errors such as (and not limited to) the following:

Overgeneralization - Drawing grand conclusions based on isolated examples (e.g., "Because one Christian does something bad, all Christians are bad.").
Dichotomous Thinking - Framing the world in terms of absolutes without acknowledging meaningful gradations (e.g., "Atheists are smart; believers are stupid.").
Disqualifying the Positive - Rejecting positive experiences as somehow not counting in order to preserve one's negative view of some group (e.g., "Christians may give a lot to charity but only to promote their agenda of brainwashing.")."

http://www.atheistrev.com/2007/03/atheist-ext...

That's an atheist blog.

I myself will say Topix athiests are religious extremists, due to their rabid reactions to religion.

Some are probably identified as extremist somewhere already.

Stupidity does seem to be one of their traits, also.

Goodnight.

Westcliffe, CO

#158290 Mar 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a vital part of my ideology.
Yes. Keeping your bank account well stocked.

Catcher1. Soul for hire.

Goodnight.

“Rising”

Milky Way

#158291 Mar 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean a complete waste of time that amounted to an act of domestic terrorism against a city by asshats in DC.
What I see is Washington has it's priorities in order.
Tax us but call it heath care. Take away our constitutional rights.
Argue for gay marriages and deny support for our embassy employees.
Supply federal law enforcement with enough bullets to kill every American twice. Force the sale of crosses on public land. Nice.

Long Beach, CA

#158292 Mar 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean a complete waste of time that amounted to an act of domestic terrorism against a city by asshats in DC.
What I see is Washington has it's priorities in order.
Tax us but call it heath care. Take away our constitutional rights.
Argue for gay marriages and deny support for our embassy employees.
Supply federal law enforcement with enough bullets to kill every American twice. Force the sale of crosses on public land. Nice.
Hey man.

We were talking about a cross on public land, in the city of Riverside, California.

Washington wasn't on the agenda.

“Rising”

Milky Way

#158293 Mar 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey man.
We were talking about a cross on public land, in the city of Riverside, California.
Washington wasn't on the agenda.
It was Washington DC that forced this, but I guess you didn't know that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 min Shizle 10,748
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min DanFromSmithville 20,582
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes 1 hr Shizle 17
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" 5 hr Anonymous1386 11
Santa vs. God: logic? Wed Shizle 2
Is the Christian god good? Wed Shizle 4
Atheist believe, they are just hiding!!! Jul 28 Richardfs 18
More from around the web