Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258469 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

bohart

White Pine, TN

#158285 Mar 3, 2013
christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
bookmark this and share w your other religitards
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis
You are an idiot of galactic proportions. I ask for evidence and you provide a damn wiki link to an unproved theory! What a dumb ass!

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#158286 Mar 3, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
No people like Hidding need to be running the education system. People like you need to stay away from it else we will end up in the dark ages again. Godbots had their shot and screwed up the advancement of man for 2000 years. So stand aside and let people real real education get on with the job.
There is no scientific theory or mathematical expression that has a "goddidit" term and that scares you because your stupid beliefs in mythology are obsolete.
You need to be removed to a mental institution.

Westcliffe, CO

#158287 Mar 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I see the principle, the importance of ensuring compliance with the Constitution, as necessary.
If it suits your ideology.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#158288 Mar 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If it suits your ideology.
It is a vital part of my ideology.

Westcliffe, CO

#158289 Mar 3, 2013
"The atheist extremist would hold views which would be considered extreme by most members of the atheist community. Like any other type of extremist, an atheist extremist would be irrational. This irrationality would be manifest through cognitive errors such as (and not limited to) the following:

Overgeneralization - Drawing grand conclusions based on isolated examples (e.g., "Because one Christian does something bad, all Christians are bad.").
Dichotomous Thinking - Framing the world in terms of absolutes without acknowledging meaningful gradations (e.g., "Atheists are smart; believers are stupid.").
Disqualifying the Positive - Rejecting positive experiences as somehow not counting in order to preserve one's negative view of some group (e.g., "Christians may give a lot to charity but only to promote their agenda of brainwashing.")."

http://www.atheistrev.com/2007/03/atheist-ext...

That's an atheist blog.

I myself will say Topix athiests are religious extremists, due to their rabid reactions to religion.

Some are probably identified as extremist somewhere already.

Stupidity does seem to be one of their traits, also.

Goodnight.

Westcliffe, CO

#158290 Mar 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a vital part of my ideology.
Yes. Keeping your bank account well stocked.

Catcher1. Soul for hire.

Goodnight.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#158291 Mar 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I see the principle, the importance of ensuring compliance with the Constitution, as necessary.
You mean a complete waste of time that amounted to an act of domestic terrorism against a city by asshats in DC.
What I see is Washington has it's priorities in order.
Tax us but call it heath care. Take away our constitutional rights.
Argue for gay marriages and deny support for our embassy employees.
Supply federal law enforcement with enough bullets to kill every American twice. Force the sale of crosses on public land. Nice.

Catcher1

Hermosa Beach, CA

#158292 Mar 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean a complete waste of time that amounted to an act of domestic terrorism against a city by asshats in DC.
What I see is Washington has it's priorities in order.
Tax us but call it heath care. Take away our constitutional rights.
Argue for gay marriages and deny support for our embassy employees.
Supply federal law enforcement with enough bullets to kill every American twice. Force the sale of crosses on public land. Nice.
Hey man.

We were talking about a cross on public land, in the city of Riverside, California.

Washington wasn't on the agenda.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#158293 Mar 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey man.
We were talking about a cross on public land, in the city of Riverside, California.
Washington wasn't on the agenda.
It was Washington DC that forced this, but I guess you didn't know that.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#158294 Mar 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What if they learned about evolution, and then read a book by a evolutionary scientist about how those mean and women should be?
If you teach life began only as a chance combo of chemicals you shaped their brains. Teach they don't know if it was done by design or chance. Leave it open until they grow and do their own study. It is default teaching atheism if you don't do that.
PERIOD
So you advocate withholding factual information from children? The process of evolution is simply a fact, that debate has been over for sometime now. Why do you think withholding information from the young mind is a good idea?

I thought you were smarter than to think that evolution had anything to do with how life came to be, I guess not!!! You're scaring me now....you do know that evolution says NOTHING about how life came to be right???

Catcher1

Hermosa Beach, CA

#158295 Mar 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> It was Washington DC that forced this, but I guess you didn't know that.
Who did what in D.C.?

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#158296 Mar 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who did what in D.C.?
Obama guard dog agency.

Americans United for Separation of Church and State.
I see about everything they do is in his defense.
I see them as another one of his weapons, but that's just my POV.
I also see some of the stuff they do is good, but there's a string of things they are doing like he has them on his team, which is understandable and how big politics work.

As resident Nanci Larsen put it, "I'm not here supporting a religious symbol, but an integral part of my community's cultural and historic fabric." - See more at: http://www.pe.com/local-news/riverside-county...

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#158297 Mar 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to be removed to a mental institution.
Why because I do not wish to see the return of the dark ages?

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#158298 Mar 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
"The atheist extremist would hold views which would be considered extreme by most members of the atheist community. Like any other type of extremist, an atheist extremist would be irrational. This irrationality would be manifest through cognitive errors such as (and not limited to) the following:
Overgeneralization - Drawing grand conclusions based on isolated examples (e.g., "Because one Christian does something bad, all Christians are bad.").
Dichotomous Thinking - Framing the world in terms of absolutes without acknowledging meaningful gradations (e.g., "Atheists are smart; believers are stupid.").
Disqualifying the Positive - Rejecting positive experiences as somehow not counting in order to preserve one's negative view of some group (e.g., "Christians may give a lot to charity but only to promote their agenda of brainwashing.")."
http://www.atheistrev.com/2007/03/atheist-ext...
That's an atheist blog.
I myself will say Topix athiests are religious extremists, due to their rabid reactions to religion.
Some are probably identified as extremist somewhere already.
Stupidity does seem to be one of their traits, also.
Goodnight.
We just don't like religious BS pushed as fact.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#158299 Mar 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum...
I can't really say that fit the experience. At all.
You can't judge by that, it varies from person to person, and most never go into what is termed a 4th level experience.

Try the Erowid vaults for some accurate reports.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#158300 Mar 4, 2013
This is babbling bollocks.
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Say what? That science knows everything or that evolution created the first organisms?
Silly scientists say it all the time!! It's so shocking that intellectual people can be so dumb and arrogant!!
I'm sure Richard Dawkins said that evolution proves that there is no creator and no intelligent design to the universe! WTF?? HOW?
Also, then u got Stephen Hawking coming up with his theory of everything and attacking other ways of thinking and he thinks his way is the only right way. WFT? WHY?
This is absolutely shocking!! Scientists are turning into fanatic nutty people. They choose to ignore all other evidence and focus on the evidence they want to focus on. They just want to ignore consciousness and focus on matter. Science can't do that, it just can't! U can't be biased if u want to find out the truth!

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#158301 Mar 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you are indoctrinating in atheism.
It does not support as I pointed out in a previous post tonight.
People of your mindset need to be removed from the public education system.
hahahahahahahahaaaa!

Why, so the public education system can ignore basic science and teach Christianity creationism???

bwaaaahahahhahaha.

Dave, you are too funny.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#158302 Mar 4, 2013
Thinking wrote:
This is babbling bollocks.
<quoted text>
But you just have to laugh and laugh, right? I mean...wow. That was great.

Get your popcorn! Beer here! Nuts? Peanuts anyone?
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#158303 Mar 4, 2013
Clementia attempted to assemble so many straw men into such a small space I partly expected her post to self combust.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
But you just have to laugh and laugh, right? I mean...wow. That was great.
Get your popcorn! Beer here! Nuts? Peanuts anyone?
Imhotep

Cape Coral, FL

#158304 Mar 4, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"Always couple these statements with the fact that, while atheists make up 8-10% of the population at large"
Wake up call!
"The CIA World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.35%(of which Roman Catholic 16.83%, Protestant 6.08%, Orthodox 4.03%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.43%, Hindu 13.78%, Buddhist 7.13%, Sikh 0.36%, Jewish 0.21%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 11.17%, atheists 2.04%.
Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups
Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.
There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.
Continued:
Gray also noted that, "of those raised as atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan."
Jehovah's Witness, congregationalist and holiness churches had the next lowest retention rates at 37 percent, 37 percent and 32 percent, respectively. Thirty-eight percent of those who grew up with no particular religious faith or belief system remained that way.
Hindus had the highest retention rate at 84 percent, followed by Jews (76 percent), Muslims (76 percent), Greek Orthodox (73 percent), Mormons (70 percent) and Catholics (68 percent).
Baptists had the highest retention rate of the Protestant Christian categories at 60 percent, followed by Lutheran (59 percent) and Pentecostal (50 percent).
http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-athei...
July, 2012
“Atheists abandon their beliefs more often than people in other religious groups, study finds”
A new study has found that people raised in an atheist home abandon those beliefs as adults more often than people raised with other religious belief systems, putting atheism at a 30 percent retention rate. Conclusions and interpretations of the study are that atheists are more often "made" as adults rather than "raised." The highest retention rates are in the Hindu faith, which holds onto about 84 percent of adherents.
Those who grow up in an atheist household are least likely to maintain their beliefs about religion as adults, according to a study by Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA).
Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.
There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist."
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765589392/...
Try harder...

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adheren...

Christians always look for excuses...

(This list is sociological/statistical in perspective.)

Christianity: 2.1 billion (Catholic)
Islam: 1.5 billion
Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/ Atheist: 1.1 billion
Hinduism: 900 million
Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
Buddhism: 376 million
primal-indigenous: 300 million
African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
Sikhism: 23 million
Juche: 19 million
Spiritism: 15 million
Judaism: 14 million
Baha'i: 7 million
Jainism: 4.2 million
Shinto: 4 million
Cao Dai: 4 million
Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
Tenrikyo: 2 million
Neo-Paganism: 1 million
Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
Scientology: 500 thousand

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 min Endofdays 69,800
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 38 min Rose_NoHo 411
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Subduction Zone 30,069
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 3 hr Dogen 3,774
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 5 hr John 577
News Atheism and cowardice (Nov '11) Mon Eagle 12 12,668
News The rise of militant atheism (Sep '09) Sun online reality bu... 9,236
More from around the web