Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,599)

Showing posts 151,961 - 151,980 of218,186
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/01/world/gallery/s...

Some sinkhole pictures from CNN. Look at the third from the left of a huge one in Guatemala.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
I seek it.
I embrace it.
I cherish it.
I revere it.
I revel in it.
Then you should get ecstatic from this truth.

You are a dummy.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>Humans have the idea of right and wrong imbedded in them by their own brains, as well as their upbringing and society. Atheists do good, not out of fear of reprisal, but because it's the right thing to do. We value family, society, culture, and, of course, freedom. Many of us will - and have - defended these values with our lives. Examples:

1) Many Catholics make judgement calls on moral decisions against their church. For example, some use birth control or have abortions, despite what their church preaches. If these people can make moral decisions despite what their church preaches, then atheists can make similar choices without a church altogether.

2) Slavery was not only acceptable 200 years ago, it was considered a good deed by many, and defended using the bible. The bible was also used to justify the Holocaust, the Crusades, and the Spanish Inquisition.

Why is this relevant? Because it shows that the bible can be used to defend even the most immoral and unethical ideals, and is therefore not an adequate yardstick to measure moral or ethical behavior.

3) Finally, mention bad religious people. Remember that Hitler was a religious Catholic, and that Jeffrey Dahmer said grace before he ate his victims. Mention also that one need only open a newspaper to find yet another story about allegations against priests for sexual misconduct, often with children. Don't forget our good friends Jim Bakker (who swindled millions from his flock) and Jimmy Swaggart (asked for forgiveness only after being caught using prostitutes).

4) Always couple these statements with the fact that, while atheists make up 8-10% of the population at large, we only make up 1% of the population in prison. I mean, think of it, what if 8-10% of the population (on top of all the religious criminals) decided it was OK to steal, rape, and murder? We'd have chaos! These will serve to prove that religion and ethical behavior are not even slightly related.

Expect these statements to piss off the theists, and this is where you must mention that what you said is verifiable and that their statement is openly prejudicial against 50 million Americans. This is the opportunity to open their eyes to the fact that just because we're different from them doesn't make us inherently bad.
Well said.

Great post!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Eh, pretty good.

But "Atheists don't do anything special"?

True, except spend A LOT of time talking about gods they say they don't believe exist...
For the last time (I wish), we talk about religion, which does exist.

One way we know you are defeated is seeing you continually return to this same tired, erroneous, disingenuous line.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists quiver in fear at a religious scientist and they readily dismiss anything that scientist has to say.
Really? You mean we dismiss evolution?

“Dont kill innocent people just”

Since: Jul 12

"because they're inconvenient"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I'm asking you.
What life was there on Earth 3.8 billion years ago?
*shrugs*

I don't do this stuff, but they assume that the first living organism came from simple molecules that were in the Earth's oceans.

Between 3.5 to 3.8 billion years ago...

LMAO! "they" think up some crazy shit.

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Are you seriously this stupid or is it an act?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait a tic!
Weren't you just arguing with Buck that we have no evidence of abiogenesis???
Now you're saying "All current evidence suggests that life originated once, about 3.8 billion years ago, from abiogenesis."
O_o

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
All evidence points toward abiogenesis.
Abiogenesis is the theory that life can arise spontaneously from non-life molecules under proper conditions.

There is no evidence for spontaneous life.

Scientists can't find a starting point for their theoretical evolutionary chain.

But you buy it hook, line & sinker.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Oh dear me, you lack the tools to comprehend. Sorry about that.
<quoted text>
There it is!

The good ole atheist cop-out "You can't understand! I'm right, damn it! I'm right, I'm right, I'm right!!"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
For the last time (I wish), we talk about religion, which does exist.
One way we know you are defeated is seeing you continually return to this same tired, erroneous, disingenuous line.
"we"?!

HA !

Many of your "free thinking" buddies argue that God doesn't exist...

Some of them even claim to have proof...

Do you revel in truth or don't you?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:

Atheists quiver in fear at a religious scientist and they readily dismiss anything that scientist has to say.
KittenKoder wrote:
Really? You mean we dismiss evolution?
um..... no....

You "dismiss what that scientitst has to say"

psssst -----> (the religious one)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Are you seriously this stupid or is it an act?
It's an act.

I'm dumbing myself down to your level.

She said we have no evidence of abiogenesis, then said we do.

WTF??

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Abiogenesis is the theory that life can arise spontaneously from non-life molecules under proper conditions.
There is no evidence for spontaneous life.
Scientists can't find a starting point for their theoretical evolutionary chain.
But you buy it hook, line & sinker.
Yea, but the religious of the world claim the same thing.

Life started from nothing out of the mind of a god.

Still the same nothing out of nothing.

Or nonexistence out of nonexistence does that sound better?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Nope.

I seek it.

I embrace it.

I cherish it.

I revere it.

I revel in it.
Then why avoid it?

"King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Well said.

Great post!
"Always couple these statements with the fact that, while atheists make up 8-10% of the population at large"

Wake up call!

"The CIA World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.35%(of which Roman Catholic 16.83%, Protestant 6.08%, Orthodox 4.03%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.43%, Hindu 13.78%, Buddhist 7.13%, Sikh 0.36%, Jewish 0.21%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 11.17%, atheists 2.04%.

Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups

Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.

There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.

Continued:

Gray also noted that, "of those raised as atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan."

Jehovah's Witness, congregationalist and holiness churches had the next lowest retention rates at 37 percent, 37 percent and 32 percent, respectively. Thirty-eight percent of those who grew up with no particular religious faith or belief system remained that way.

Hindus had the highest retention rate at 84 percent, followed by Jews (76 percent), Muslims (76 percent), Greek Orthodox (73 percent), Mormons (70 percent) and Catholics (68 percent).

Baptists had the highest retention rate of the Protestant Christian categories at 60 percent, followed by Lutheran (59 percent) and Pentecostal (50 percent).

http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-athei...

July, 2012

“Atheists abandon their beliefs more often than people in other religious groups, study finds”

A new study has found that people raised in an atheist home abandon those beliefs as adults more often than people raised with other religious belief systems, putting atheism at a 30 percent retention rate. Conclusions and interpretations of the study are that atheists are more often "made" as adults rather than "raised." The highest retention rates are in the Hindu faith, which holds onto about 84 percent of adherents.

Those who grow up in an atheist household are least likely to maintain their beliefs about religion as adults, according to a study by Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA).

Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.

There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765589392/...

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Gives one cause to hope, dunnit?
Makes me wish I'd been born a couple of decades later.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>There it is!

The good ole atheist cop-out "You can't understand! I'm right, damn it! I'm right, I'm right, I'm right!!"
LOL!!

Yes you're right.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you should get ecstatic from this truth.
You are a dummy.
I would.

If it was.

But it ain't.

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

How old do you think life on earth is?

6000-10000 years?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
*shrugs*
I don't do this stuff, but they assume that the first living organism came from simple molecules that were in the Earth's oceans.
Between 3.5 to 3.8 billion years ago...
LMAO! "they" think up some crazy shit.

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why avoid it?
"King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
Wow, that's some really loving god you got there. He's condemned billions of people to an eternity in hades just because of where and when they were born, never to be exposed to christianity due to circumstances beyond their control. If you ask me,I'd say he's on sadistical old devil

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 151,961 - 151,980 of218,186
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••