Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158064 Mar 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Are you seriously this stupid or is it an act?
It's an act.

I'm dumbing myself down to your level.

She said we have no evidence of abiogenesis, then said we do.

WTF??

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#158065 Mar 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Abiogenesis is the theory that life can arise spontaneously from non-life molecules under proper conditions.
There is no evidence for spontaneous life.
Scientists can't find a starting point for their theoretical evolutionary chain.
But you buy it hook, line & sinker.
Yea, but the religious of the world claim the same thing.

Life started from nothing out of the mind of a god.

Still the same nothing out of nothing.

Or nonexistence out of nonexistence does that sound better?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#158066 Mar 3, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Nope.

I seek it.

I embrace it.

I cherish it.

I revere it.

I revel in it.
Then why avoid it?

"King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Location hidden

#158067 Mar 3, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Well said.

Great post!
"Always couple these statements with the fact that, while atheists make up 8-10% of the population at large"

Wake up call!

"The CIA World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.35%(of which Roman Catholic 16.83%, Protestant 6.08%, Orthodox 4.03%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.43%, Hindu 13.78%, Buddhist 7.13%, Sikh 0.36%, Jewish 0.21%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 11.17%, atheists 2.04%.

Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups

Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.

There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.

Continued:

Gray also noted that, "of those raised as atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan."

Jehovah's Witness, congregationalist and holiness churches had the next lowest retention rates at 37 percent, 37 percent and 32 percent, respectively. Thirty-eight percent of those who grew up with no particular religious faith or belief system remained that way.

Hindus had the highest retention rate at 84 percent, followed by Jews (76 percent), Muslims (76 percent), Greek Orthodox (73 percent), Mormons (70 percent) and Catholics (68 percent).

Baptists had the highest retention rate of the Protestant Christian categories at 60 percent, followed by Lutheran (59 percent) and Pentecostal (50 percent).

http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-athei...

July, 2012

“Atheists abandon their beliefs more often than people in other religious groups, study finds”

A new study has found that people raised in an atheist home abandon those beliefs as adults more often than people raised with other religious belief systems, putting atheism at a 30 percent retention rate. Conclusions and interpretations of the study are that atheists are more often "made" as adults rather than "raised." The highest retention rates are in the Hindu faith, which holds onto about 84 percent of adherents.

Those who grow up in an atheist household are least likely to maintain their beliefs about religion as adults, according to a study by Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA).

Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.

There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765589392/...

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#158068 Mar 3, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Gives one cause to hope, dunnit?
Makes me wish I'd been born a couple of decades later.

Location hidden

#158069 Mar 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>There it is!

The good ole atheist cop-out "You can't understand! I'm right, damn it! I'm right, I'm right, I'm right!!"
LOL!!

Yes you're right.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#158070 Mar 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you should get ecstatic from this truth.
You are a dummy.
I would.

If it was.

But it ain't.

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#158071 Mar 3, 2013
How old do you think life on earth is?

6000-10000 years?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
*shrugs*
I don't do this stuff, but they assume that the first living organism came from simple molecules that were in the Earth's oceans.
Between 3.5 to 3.8 billion years ago...
LMAO! "they" think up some crazy shit.

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#158072 Mar 3, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why avoid it?
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
Wow, that's some really loving god you got there. He's condemned billions of people to an eternity in hades just because of where and when they were born, never to be exposed to christianity due to circumstances beyond their control. If you ask me,I'd say he's on sadistical old devil

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#158073 Mar 3, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"Always couple these statements with the fact that, while atheists make up 8-10% of the population at large"
Wake up call!
"The CIA World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.35%(of which Roman Catholic 16.83%, Protestant 6.08%, Orthodox 4.03%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.43%, Hindu 13.78%, Buddhist 7.13%, Sikh 0.36%, Jewish 0.21%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 11.17%, atheists 2.04%.
Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups...
and yet

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/14/athe...

(RNS) Religiosity is on the decline in the U.S. and atheism is on the rise, according to a new worldwide poll.
The poll, called "The Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism," found that the number of Americans who say they are "religious" dropped from 73 percent in 2005 (the last time the poll was conducted) to 60 percent.
At the same time, the number of Americans who say they are atheists rose, from 1 percent to 5 percent.
The poll was conducted by WIN-Gallup International and is based on interviews with 50,000 people from 57 countries and five continents. Participants were asked, "Irrespective of whether you attend a place of worship or not, would you say you are a religious person, not a religious person, or a convinced atheist?"

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-08-13... shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.
By Kimberly Winston| Religion News Service,August 13, 2012
Religiosity is on the decline in the U.S. and atheism is on the rise, according to a new worldwide poll.
The poll, called “The Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism,” found that the number of Americans who say they are “religious” dropped from 73 percent in 2005 (the last time the poll was conducted) to 60 percent.
At the same time, the number of Americans who say they are atheists rose, from 1 percent to 5 percent.
The poll was conducted by WIN-Gallup International and is based on interviews with 50,000 people from 57 countries and five continents. Participants were asked,“Irrespective of whether you attend a place of worship or not, would you say you are a religious person, not a religious person, or a convinced atheist?”
The seven years between the polls is notable because 2005 saw the publication of “The End of Faith” by Sam Harris, the first in a wave of best-selling books on atheism by Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett and other so-called “New Atheists.”
“The obvious implication is that this is a manifestation of the New Atheism movement,” said Ryan Cragun, a University of Tampa sociologist of religion who studies American and global atheism.

There's still hope that religion will fade away like other myths

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#158074 Mar 3, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I would.
If it was.
But it ain't.
Prove it.
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#158075 Mar 3, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why avoid it?
he also cursed a fig tree for not bearing fruit out off season,

me think he was mentaly fkd

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#158076 Mar 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's an act.
I'm dumbing myself down to your level.
She said we have no evidence of abiogenesis, then said we do.
WTF??
I just covered that.

Perhaps you missed it.

"Unless one is prepared to claim that life has always existed (or that it never has, and still doesn't), abiogenesis obviously occurred at some point."

Lexington, KY

#158077 Mar 3, 2013
No it's a matter of here is observable data and you refusing to accept what is right in front of your reddening face because it differs from your collection of desert scribbles about god.

I have noticed we can give mountains of clearly defined and observable data but because it disagrees with an ancient collection of poorly written myths your ilk won't accept it. You have your delusion conclusion and have been indoctrinated to never question it.

Sad really sad
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There it is!
The good ole atheist cop-out "You can't understand! I'm right, damn it! I'm right, I'm right, I'm right!!"

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#158078 Mar 3, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Makes me wish I'd been born a couple of decades later.
Ya gotta admit, the times are interesting...
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#158079 Mar 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Abiogenesis is the theory that life can arise spontaneously from non-life molecules under proper conditions.
There is no evidence for spontaneous life.
Scientists can't find a starting point for their theoretical evolutionary chain.
But you buy it hook, line & sinker.
your opinion is Irelevant

youre Pathological liar

Location hidden

#158080 Mar 3, 2013
christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
he also cursed a fig tree for not bearing fruit out off season,
me think he was mentaly fkd
Relative of yours?

Your username, christianity is EVIL.

What is evil?

Lexington, KY

#158081 Mar 3, 2013
You got knocked silly and had a wacky dream/hallucination, that doesn't count as proof.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
The Expert

Redding, CA

#158082 Mar 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
No it's a matter of here is observable data and you refusing to accept what is right in front of your reddening face because it differs from your collection of desert scribbles about god.
I have noticed we can give mountains of clearly defined and observable data but because it disagrees with an ancient collection of poorly written myths your ilk won't accept it. You have your delusion conclusion and have been indoctrinated to never question it.
Sad really sad
<quoted text>
Do you ever question your delusion conclusion?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158083 Mar 3, 2013
Very Cynical Person wrote:
Yea, but the religious of the world claim the same thing.
Life started from nothing out of the mind of a god.
Still the same nothing out of nothing.
Or nonexistence out of nonexistence does that sound better?
Eh?

"Life started from nothing out of the mind of a god."

...then...

"Still the same nothing out of nothing."

O_o

God isn't nothing...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 11 min Patrick 150
Is Religion Childish? 2 hr Patrick 3
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 2 hr Patrick 3
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr _Bad Company 22,919
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 4 hr Richardfs 5,584
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr Richardfs 674
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 5 hr Andre 463

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE