Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258452 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#158020 Mar 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"I can see no difficulty in a race of bears being rendered, by natural selection, more aquatic in their structure and habits, with larger and larger mouths, till a creature was produced as monstrous as a whale,"
--Charles Darwin. Originally in The Origin of the Species, removed due to ridicule.
Yeah, well, he didn't have any of the evidence we have now - he had plenty of ideas that were simply wrong, but we can't deny the genius behind his work.

We know more about cetaceans now, which species they're most genetically related to, and where the fossils take us back. Darwin wasn't correct, but not so far off.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158021 Mar 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
NDEs are a natural occurrence and can be replicated.
Here's a working link showing that! Neat!
http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-m...
You are a moron. Your own link discredits what you say.

" Scientists have found that the drugs ketamine and PCP can create sensations in users that are nearly identical to many NDEs."

"Nearly identical" does not mean "identical", fucktard.

"We can't run a test to determine if someone actually visited Heaven and met God or purposely take someone to the brink of death and then resuscitate them in a lab to test their out-of-body perception."

Some stable somewhere

#158022 Mar 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"Life on Earth evolved from a universal common ancestor approximately 3.8 billion years ago."
Prove it.
How many times do you need to have science explained to you before you understand how the word "proof" is used?

All current evidence suggests that life originated once, about 3.8 billion years ago, from abiogenesis. We have no contradictory evidence. We might in the future, but not yet.

So...anything you'd like to prove about the origin of life?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#158023 Mar 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>"Life on Earth evolved from a universal common ancestor approximately 3.8 billion years ago."

Prove it.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158024 Mar 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>"Life on Earth evolved from a universal common ancestor approximately 3.8 billion years ago."

Prove it.
Google scares the shit out of you, doesn't it.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#158025 Mar 3, 2013
The BBT is an attempt to explain how the micro parts, the new gods, could be created. But it is based upon limited observation. It was designed to justify those parts as THE creators.

There is a loop to modern physics and derivative scientific thought.

Even so, the BBT is revealed as a seed.

Some stable somewhere

#158026 Mar 3, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
And baldness is a hair color
I actually see atheism as a belief. Atheism, like theism, cannot be proved or disproved. Since neither can be, how is atheism not a belief?

Don't get me wrong, the evidence, imo, points to the non-existence of deities - in fact, I'd say all evidence suggests that deities are imagined beings, created by humans - but that doesn't constitute "proof" in the philosophical sense.

So I don't see atheism as an active belief, like religions are. Atheists don't do anything special to socially ritualize their lack of belief in deities. But since we cannot absolutely and objectively rule out deities, the position cannot be "objective knowledge" or "truth."

Am I mistaken?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158027 Mar 3, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Take your selection, we will enjoy that part. ;)
http://www.nobeliefs.com/jefferson.htm
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/thomas_...
http://www.faithofourfathers.net/jefferson.ht...
"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." ~Thomas Jefferson
That's a spurious quote...

"The rights of conscience we never submitted, we could not submit. We are answerable for them to our God. The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.... Reason and free enquiry are the only effectual agents against error."

Thomas Jefferson, Statute of Virginia for Religious Freedom, Query XVII of Notes on the State of Virginia.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#158028 Mar 3, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No NDE has ever been recreated. Not one.
Refuting you is getting too easy, and boring.
Perhaps not quite.

HGowever: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158029 Mar 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

"Life on Earth evolved from a universal common ancestor approximately 3.8 billion years ago."
Prove it.
Aura Mytha wrote:
What life was there on Earth 3.8 billion years ago?
Ask them ------> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

1st sentence, 2nd paragraph.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158030 Mar 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Atheists quiver in fear at a religious scientist and they readily dismiss anything that scientist has to say.
Not as long as he keeps his religion out of it.

I will listen to ANY scientist, regardless of his personal religion, until he says something like, "...And then god performed a miracle."

The Borderland of Sol

#158031 Mar 3, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Super-Mac! How's it going???
I hope well!
So far, so good - you?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158032 Mar 3, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times do you need to have science explained to you before you understand how the word "proof" is used?
All current evidence suggests that life originated once, about 3.8 billion years ago, from abiogenesis. We have no contradictory evidence. We might in the future, but not yet.
So...anything you'd like to prove about the origin of life?
Wait a tic!

Weren't you just arguing with Buck that we have no evidence of abiogenesis???

Now you're saying "All current evidence suggests that life originated once, about 3.8 billion years ago, from abiogenesis."

O_o

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#158033 Mar 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You are a moron. Your own link discredits what you say.

" Scientists have found that the drugs ketamine and PCP can create sensations in users that are nearly identical to many NDEs."

"Nearly identical" does not mean "identical", fucktard.

"We can't run a test to determine if someone actually visited Heaven and met God or purposely take someone to the brink of death and then resuscitate them in a lab to test their out-of-body perception."
So by your reasoning, every reported NDE should be exactly identical.

They are not exactly identical.

Ergo, you are a moron.

I know.

That you are a moron doesn't really follow from that, but it's nonetheless true.

The Borderland of Sol

#158034 Mar 3, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Google scares the shit out of you, doesn't it.
It should.

Knowledge is the antithesis of superstition.
Wanna know what'll kill religion once and for all?
You guessed it.
Google.
Imhotep

Deltona, FL

#158035 Mar 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a spurious quote...
"The rights of conscience we never submitted, we could not submit. We are answerable for them to our God. The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.... Reason and free enquiry are the only effectual agents against error."
Thomas Jefferson, Statute of Virginia for Religious Freedom, Query XVII of Notes on the State of Virginia.
"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise." ~James Madison

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity." ~John Adams

"Have you considered that system of holy lies and pious frauds that has raged and triumphed for 1500 years." ~John Adams

"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it." ~John Adams

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#158036 Mar 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists quiver in fear at a religious scientist and they readily dismiss anything that scientist has to say.
There is no distinction between a religious scientist and a nonreligious scientist , when the scientist adheres to the methodology and research is conducted correctly by the discipline.
The problem is that many religious people do not stay in the accepted
guidelines in making determination, and in doing so negate the work to pseudoscience, being unacceptable by the disciplines set for scientific discovery. So nobody quivers an dismisses what anyone has to say without a valid reason. The reason being is bad science , is not science.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#158037 Mar 3, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
Cool.

"The tree versus web debate remains "very controversial right now in evolutionary biology," Theobald says, reluctant to pick a side himself."

He doesn't know, but you do?
LMAO!

Westcliffe, CO

#158038 Mar 3, 2013

Another great Buckethead song. The Miracle of Surrender.

Giving into life. Cessation of a desperation to find a meaning or cause, or second guessing whatever created it.

Called living.

You will find out in the end. Maybe. Just enjoy what is now.

Nice mellow song.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#158039 Mar 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Prove it.
<quoted text>
Ask them ------> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
1st sentence, 2nd paragraph.
I'm asking you.
What life was there on Earth 3.8 billion years ago?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 37 min Subduction Zone 67,292
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 2 hr 15th Dalai Lama 3,538
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Subduction Zone 28,677
is it ever right to hate Christians as a group? Tue superwilly 21
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Tue superwilly 462
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Apr 22 IB DaMann 5,975
News Unholy? Atheists should embrace the science of ... Apr 20 Eagle 12 9
More from around the web