Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258038 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#157985 Mar 3, 2013
But you actually didn't even have an NDE right geriatric Dave? You just got knocked out and had a goofy dream/ hallucination. Boxers experience those all the time. You like them suffered brain damage that lingers on sadly.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mental issues are revealed in the quality of your posts.
Let me guess. You started using drugs other than marijuana around age 14.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#157986 Mar 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mental issues are revealed in the quality of your posts.
Let me guess. You started using drugs other than marijuana around age 14.
Yes, he did. That's also when he started experimenting with poking foreign objects up his ass.

By "foreign", I mean foreign to his ass. They most likely were made in America, or China.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#157987 Mar 3, 2013
atheists dont have a clue wrote:
<quoted text>You don't think that Buck is that stupid, do you?
Yes.

I do.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#157988 Mar 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yes the body can and is shown to do this.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9...
See I provided a working link, neat eh?
Here we see even theist scientists admit neurochemistry and personal psychology shape a person's NDE.
Now about those green leafy vegetables and a treadmill....
<quoted text>
You never answered my question about what you have your degree in.

Scottsburg, IN

#157989 Mar 3, 2013
Argument from authority logical fallacy doesn't trump observable data. Also I am not here to school you on history, science and math this is not the free tutoring forum.

NDEs are a natural occurrence and can be replicated.

Here's a working link showing that! Neat!

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-m...

Time to grow up Buck as your gut has grown out.

Have an Obi Wan moment... Use the treadmill Buck. Step away from the buffet Buck. Become one with te green leafy vegetables Buck.

Would you prefer I call you portly, rubenesque, or chubby?
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Eben Alexander did not believe in God before his near-death-experience. He said so. He said so before; he said so after.
But you know more about it than he does?
You also know more about neuroscience than he does? He's a neurosurgeon, with advanced training in neuroendocrinology. But you know more about brain function and NDEs than he does?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#157990 Mar 3, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Eben Alexander did not believe in God before his near-death-experience. He said so. He said so before; he said so after.

You also know more about neuroscience than he does? He's a neurosurgeon, with advanced training in neuroendocrinology. But you know more about brain function and NDEs than he does?

Question: Was Thomas Jefferson a "christian"?

(After you answer, I will show you the relevance to the present discussion. It will illustrate clearly why you are wrong, and also, it will make you look stupid. I will enjoy that part.)
From what I know of Jefferson, I would say that he was a Christian.

However, he was a rational Christian (oxymoron that that is) in that he discarded ALL of the magical woo and the entirety of the bible outside of the pittance of humanist philosophy he could find in it.

Present day Christians would do well to follow his lead in that regard.

Scottsburg, IN

#157991 Mar 3, 2013
You've ran from several of my questions yet demand I answer yours? Lol so silly!

Which degree do you want to hear about? I am also currently working on learning Pashto, interesting language.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You never answered my question about what you have your degree in.

Location hidden

#157992 Mar 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
But you actually didn't even have an NDE right geriatric Dave? You just got knocked out and had a goofy dream/ hallucination. Boxers experience those all the time. You like them suffered brain damage that lingers on sadly.
<quoted text>
No. Boxers do not experience them all the time.

I have knocked out a number of people. Not one of them ever described it as a spiritual experience.

Tell us, have you been knocked out? Do you take knock-out drops?

Your terminology betrays an elementary school grasp of these discussions.

When you were knocked out, is that the point where you went insane?

Westcliffe, CO

#157993 Mar 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
You are one of those that believe being obnoxious is a sign of being intelligent. That is a pathology. And why you don't present real thinking, just references to the works of others, insinuating they support your thinking.

You never told us what your degree was in. Let me guess, your years of experience working in hospitals was as an orderly or bedpan washer?

There is on every important aspect of NDEs, and dreams, that removes just chemical disruptions as the cause. The translocation of sense of self. Where you are. You can be hanging upside down physcially, but your consciousness isn't. The effects of gravity, blood flow and all other sensory inputs to the brain wouldn't allow for that free roaming.

What is your degree in?

Scottsburg, IN

#157994 Mar 3, 2013
Yes boxers have the same experiences. Dave was knocked loopy not even an NDE. The only thing you knock out is another plate at the buffet Chubbins, nobody is impressed.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Boxers do not experience them all the time.
I have knocked out a number of people. Not one of them ever described it as a spiritual experience.
Tell us, have you been knocked out? Do you take knock-out drops?
Your terminology betrays an elementary school grasp of these discussions.
When you were knocked out, is that the point where you went insane?

Scottsburg, IN

#157995 Mar 3, 2013
Again NDEs are a naturally occurring phenomenon. We can even recreate them. Hey weren't you saying you had a phd in microbiology?

Lmfao!

Again which degree do you want to hear about? I have discussed it before go looking at my posts along with your future husband Dave. It can be a fun game for you two :)

Now Buck speaking of that I am worried that even though Dave is decades older than you it will be him burying your from a heart attack or stroke. We don't want to see sad Dave wiping tears as he buries his Chunky bride. You could experience an NDE where you were strapped to a treadmill forced to run on it until you lost weight! And the only food to eat was garden salads! Scary stuff for you Buck, try not to have nightmares.

So Dave needs to get you to a doctor and on a diet an exercise program okay?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are one of those that believe being obnoxious is a sign of being intelligent. That is a pathology. And why you don't present real thinking, just references to the works of others, insinuating they support your thinking.
You never told us what your degree was in. Let me guess, your years of experience working in hospitals was as an orderly or bedpan washer?
There is on every important aspect of NDEs, and dreams, that removes just chemical disruptions as the cause. The translocation of sense of self. Where you are. You can be hanging upside down physcially, but your consciousness isn't. The effects of gravity, blood flow and all other sensory inputs to the brain wouldn't allow for that free roaming.
What is your degree in?

Westcliffe, CO

#157996 Mar 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yes boxers have the same experiences. Dave was knocked loopy not even an NDE. The only thing you knock out is another plate at the buffet Chubbins, nobody is impressed.
<quoted text>
No one is impressed by you, in a positive fashion.

Explain how your consciousness can be in one place looking back or at something other than where your body is when your very consciousness is dependent upon the physical forces working on your body for you to even sit up? How can the consciousness completely shut off the physical?

What was your degree in, again?

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#157997 Mar 3, 2013
atheists dont have a clue wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't think that Buck is that stupid, do you?
YES.

Westcliffe, CO

#157998 Mar 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Again NDEs are a naturally occurring phenomenon. We can even recreate them. Hey weren't you saying you had a phd in microbiology?
Lmfao!
Again which degree do you want to hear about? I have discussed it before go looking at my posts along with your future husband Dave. It can be a fun game for you two :)
Now Buck speaking of that I am worried that even though Dave is decades older than you it will be him burying your from a heart attack or stroke. We don't want to see sad Dave wiping tears as he buries his Chunky bride. You could experience an NDE where you were strapped to a treadmill forced to run on it until you lost weight! And the only food to eat was garden salads! Scary stuff for you Buck, try not to have nightmares.
<quoted text>
As the pressure builds your obnoxiousness increases. You have no rational base.

You present no real insights. Only vague references to the works of others. You are existing in a virtual reality produced by your mind alone.

What is your degree in? Should only take a few words at the most. Instead you will come up with more obnoxiousness.

It goes with the pathology.

Scottsburg, IN

#157999 Mar 3, 2013
Oops sorry Dave this post was aimed at your future bride Buck, but seriously if you care for Buck you should encourage him to lose a lot weight for his health. You could go with him as moral support so he has a better chance of succeeding.
Givemeliberty wrote:
Lmfao!
<quoted text>
Imhotep

Deltona, FL

#158000 Mar 3, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you!:-)
That's what i'm saying. We should all have pleasant, intellectual, fun discussions! We need to try to understand each other, if we really know what's good for us!
We can't say all atheists r good and all religious people r bad or vice versa. We gotta understand good and bad people can be from any race, culture, country, belief etc...
You are in good company! ;)

"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true.... Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." ~Albert Einstein

"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
~Albert Einstein

Location hidden

#158001 Mar 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Lmfao!
<quoted text>
No NDE has ever been recreated. Not one.

Refuting you is getting too easy, and boring.
Imhotep

Deltona, FL

#158003 Mar 3, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Eben Alexander did not believe in God before his near-death-experience. He said so. He said so before; he said so after.
Question: Was Thomas Jefferson a "christian"?
(After you answer, I will show you the relevance to the present discussion. It will illustrate clearly why you are wrong, and also, it will make you look stupid. I will enjoy that part.)
Take your selection, we will enjoy that part. ;)

http://www.nobeliefs.com/jefferson.htm

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/thomas_...

http://www.faithofourfathers.net/jefferson.ht...

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." ~Thomas Jefferson

Westcliffe, CO

#158005 Mar 3, 2013
I'm going to post this again. Intelligent people out there should realize by now I am a rather analytical person, very cause and effect based, and tend to get into the details of how things work. Why I describe energy currents instead of particles being created as symbols for processes.

There were a couple of significant events days and weeks before my accident and NDE. One was the blue lady coming out of a blue world and us having very satisfying spiritual sex during a dream. Out of the blue. No residue. This occurred while sleeping next to a girl friend after our normal nightly long time sessions. We were on the tantric side. Where in the fu*k did that come from?

BTW, she showed up again a couple of months after the experience, again out of the blue. The girl friend was long gone, and I was still recuperating physically and still in a lot of pain. Then my earthly experience got even stranger and more painful. Haven't seen her since.

The other was about the same time I had a dream where I was reading a news account of my death. In this dream I also recall something about driving down the coast of Florida and being smacked by a truck coming from the left. After reading the account in the dream I said no, I didn't die, and called my son saying there was an error. I wasn't dead, I just had an accident. This was all in the dream, and some time before the accident. I remember the waking up from it quite well.

The day of the accident was a hectic one. Had a lot of pressure to make some service calls, and over a large area. Plus the stupid bitch dispatcher kept beeping me. So I was running with a case of the ass that day.

But two very interesting events occurred that day. After picking up supplies that morning I headed back to the expressway and a big dual axle dump truck exiting the expressway came flying through a red light just before I got to it. From the left. I thought damn! I didn't have to slam on the brakes, but did have to slow to avoid getting hit. I then proceeded further and made my entrance onto the expressway, and just as I entered it another damned big dump truck came swerving over from the inside lane so he could exit at the next exit. There were three lanes. I had to hit the brakes harder to avoid that one. He came from the left.

Shit, Dave, the idiots are out today. Watch close or you are going to have an accident.

I drove the 25 miles down to my first stop. A particularly aggravating customer that elevated my case of the ass, along with another beep from the dispatcher. I was primed.

After leaving there, I had to drive down a residential road to a stop light on the main road. Had made that turn dozens and dozens of times and didn;t realize how short a light it actually was. Only abut 4 seconds, I found out later. It was a slanted T with the left side the higher portion, and which the view was blocked by underbrush which had not been cleared since Andrew passed through. If you were stopped at the light, you wouldn't see a vehicle coming until where it would stop. You had to be out in the intersection to see up the road.

I was to make a left turn. I had a case of the ass. My glasses had lint on them and pulled them off to wipe as I approached the intersection, which the green light came on while doing so. A normal nice easy turn. Did it dozens and dozens of times.

Except just as I was entering the intersection a car on the right started to take off and I stopped and glared, case of the ass in full throttle.

BAM!!!!!

A dump truck driver pulling a bulldozer on a trailer gauging the light came through my driver's door.

I was a sitting duck.

Life is strange.

Westcliffe, CO

#158006 Mar 3, 2013
Oh, that main road. In the dream I was driving on a major highway down the coast. That main road was a coastal road on the south side of Miami.

Found out years later this occurred.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.02/matt...

That would have been to my left.:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 16 min Into The Night 48,392
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... 17 hr Scaritual 14
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 21 hr Amused 4,906
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 21 hr Amused 21,861
Jesus Christ and Wisdom, Knowledge, Understandi... Nov 29 Richardfs 5
News Delta Schools Will Get Satanic Coloring Books o... (Apr '16) Nov 29 Amused 7
News Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns (Sep '14) Nov 28 hpcaban 441
More from around the web