Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,587)

Showing posts 151,721 - 151,740 of217,965
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
This illustrates why I say you are the second smartest guy on this thread. You have the ability to integrate complex information from one source with patterns from other sources, including your own experiences, some of which are unique.
That requires intelligence of a quality far above regurgitating blurbs sucked out of atheist propaganda sites - which is mostly what one gets here.
Kudos, Dave.
Gee, thanks, Buck.

I would be even smarter if I had more info.

I am really amazed at the consistent low quality of reasoning ability of these Topix atheists. I mean it is below average.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You gonna let him have the top tonight?
Oh, that Topix atheist wit, intelligence, and maturity. Most impressive. Really is.

“Dont kill innocent people just”

Since: Jul 12

"because they're inconvenient"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
But you KNOW there's a god, right?
Right.

“Dont kill innocent people just”

Since: Jul 12

"because they're inconvenient"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
I'm disappointed in you.
I thought you were better than that.
"Better", meaning that she agrees with you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Beautiful day in SE CO. Cool air and hot sunshine.

My bones love it.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Please, I've been on here long enough to be sensitized and reactive to the stupidity of Topix atheists. You scared me. Thought one of them might have turned you.:-)
LOL

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Rocks falling out the sky is gravity, rocks rolling around in your head is reality.
And you're the one that thinks they're bat man.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

What you say I true I do however think ridicule and humor is a great weapon to shine a light exposing the darkness of superstition.
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> Buck is a bore, and I do not understand why smart people do not ignore him and have intelligent discussions with each other instead. That is why I rarely visit and attempt to communicate with someone who has written something somewhat interesting and provocative, and have my doubts whether people prefer such discussions, rather than arguing with the idiots. Sorry to be so blunt. If you enjoy it, no problem with argument, but I do not get the value of it, compared with discussion with another intelligent person with whom one has nuanced quibbles, or with whom one can discuss multiple dimensions of interesting questions. For example, I think we missed a great opportunity as a species when the asteroid went by so close. It should have been located much sooner and visited as it departed, with adequate technological means to explore its size, shape, make-up, etc, and get some ideas for what could be done to nudge a future approaching asteroid off course if it were coming dangerously close to earth. In short, humans should tentatively play God with the future of earth, in order to save it - rather than to allow idiots to do continuing harm.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You've got it backwards. Darwinian evolution predicts abiogenesis. It doesn't rely on it - though, only abiogenesis makes sense from the perspective of our contemporary sciences.
Who cares if Darwin say so? He is 160 years out of date now. He said quite a few things that are no longer considered correct. Only his basic premise still holds. His genius lay in revealing evolution, not in working out the details we have at our hands now.
Your last point is meaningless. It doesn't add weight to any argument you might put forth except "we don't know how life started, but we have some good hypotheses we're testing."
No, I had it correct.

Current evolutionary theory relies inextricably on abiogenesis.

You admitted so yourself - you just didn't know it, when you said, "only abiogenesis makes sense from the perspective of our contemporary sciences"

You could have just as correctly worded your statement "ONLY ABIOGENESIS makes sense with our contemporary evolution theory".

So then, what if abiogenesis does not make sense, i.e., is not true? What happens to the paradigm without it?

The Darwinian paradigm collapses and must be reconstructed because ANY ALTERNATIVE TO ABIOGENESIS REQUIRES EXTERNAL AGENCY.

Thus and then, it can no longer be assumed that random variation and natural selection is the sole mechanism of biologic diversity.

Also, out goes the assumption of universal common descent. Out goes the assumption, even, that life evolved through orderly sequence, instead of multiple life forms arising at different times. Out goes the assumption that multicellular organisms arose from unicellular organisms. Out goes the assumption that life arose in its most simple form and progressed ALWAYS to more complex.

Abiogenesis is inextricably linked with the large-scale views of evolutionary theory.

It was so in Darwin's day; it is so now. Darwin was greatly distressed by this, and so began the tricky campaign in science for bifurcating the two concepts.

It works very well, at least among the non-skeptical.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
And you're the one that thinks they're bat man.
Then why isn't my name bat man? Clearly thinking isn't your
forte. What is absolutely amazing is how the most indoctrinated and venomously religitarded on the entire topix site, congratulate each
other on their cleverness. But cannot manage to admit anything but a constant denial of any achievement of modern science.
Thinking the whole time their inability to grasp and describe theory
explaining function is because it's false, and their only recourse is a magical skydaddy who is beyond all reasoning ability is why all humans cannot understand.

But the truth is that they like so many fundies reject science, because they are lacking the ability to understand it.
To admit their own shortcoming is blaspheme and rely on the god card to pull them out of the pool of crocodiles.
In reality they like you int the real world will academically be torn limb from limb and shredded to pieces, if they have to present anything credible.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

My statement to Dave is based on his own musings about what happens after you die and how because I am young I am not able to comprehend his viewpoint on the desire for an afterlife. Fear of what happens after death is a common thread with believers don't you agree?

I could die in a car crash tonight but death does not scare me anymore than falling asleep does.
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> Here you are arguing with Dave Nelson, and I have forgotten most of the names of the ones I think are not worth discussing things with. At least BC is memorable, however awful! You I remember as mostly sensible, but maybe a bit too sure in the way you state things - I doubt if you are such a authoritarian personality as to insist that you know. You are venturing good guesses about people's psychology - fear of death or of dying - and making reasonable suggestions for how to live more happily now. I think you are likely correct in many cases, but not absolutely correct in all cases. Still you are closer to rational than most - either "hard" believers or "hard" atheists who claim to know one thing or the other. I consider myself to be an agnostic (not making a knowledge claim) atheist (not believing in a God such as it is usually defined - and my own definition is definately not the usual one, nor do I connect with it in any way as a believer in it - it is more of an attempt at definition that is useful to trump all other definitions that I think are ridiculous). Good luck with your arguments if you enjoy them. If you ever want a converstion with me, I do not have my own computer, and only have time on Sat AM late after Chris Hayes and Melissa Harris Perry on MSNBC. From 11 to 1 central time. That is my way of both giving up on topix and yet not giving up on some persons I think are worthwhile conversing with, such as you.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Holy shitballs.
Did Koder just admit to an err?!?
There's hope...
Atheist don't make mistakes but mistakes make Atheist.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Exactly which is why science always seeks to progress and improve. Few events brings a scientist more joy than being shown observable data that improves upon or eclipses what they had previously found.

Every day thousands of scientists all over the world dive into previous aspects of theories testing and retesting them literally millions of times hoping for a new discovery.
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> That was to Clementia. I can see a difference in trying to correct people who make false accusations - such as that scientists are afraid to say they don't know - because they do not know any better, and those who make false accusations because they are outright liars. I suspect many who make false statements because they do not know any better are resistant to learning that they are mistaken, and won't reform after they are corrected, however! But your answer was interesting. You might also note that there are differences among the sciences and between physical sciences and socalled social sciences, and among scientists themselves, as to how authoritative and arbitrary they should when they think they have discovered the answer to something - or THE ANSWER if they are too sure and too proud of themselves.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Am intelligent person.....
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Am intelligent person would have chosen the word "others" instead.
Just sayin...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> Buck is a bore, and I do not understand why smart people do not ignore him and have intelligent discussions with each other instead. That is why I rarely visit and attempt to communicate with someone who has written something somewhat interesting and provocative, and have my doubts whether people prefer such discussions, rather than arguing with the idiots. Sorry to be so blunt. If you enjoy it, no problem with argument, but I do not get the value of it, compared with discussion with another intelligent person with whom one has nuanced quibbles, or with whom one can discuss multiple dimensions of interesting questions. For example, I think we missed a great opportunity as a species when the asteroid went by so close. It should have been located much sooner and visited as it departed, with adequate technological means to explore its size, shape, make-up, etc, and get some ideas for what could be done to nudge a future approaching asteroid off course if it were coming dangerously close to earth. In short, humans should tentatively play God with the future of earth, in order to save it - rather than to allow idiots to do continuing harm.
If I notice a "smart person" on here, compared to myself, I'll give them your message.

You effing moron.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Yet you constantly speak of it's best to believe because of what happens after you die. Your hallucination and delusion comfort you.

My knowledge of death in what way? Decomposing of the body? How brain function ceases? Autopsy?

Are you trying to claim your near death hallucination gives your some special insight to what happens after we die?

Grow up Dave.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I am almost 20 years past my first death. Went through the process. Hardly afraid of it.
Now, tell us your experience in the matter. Impart your knowledge to everyone.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
A scientific theory has been tested repeatedly and is correct for all observed results.
Sometimes. Sometimes not.

It depends on what mood they are in, or who is speaking.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> Here you are arguing with Dave Nelson, and I have forgotten most of the names of the ones I think are not worth discussing things with. At least BC is memorable, however awful! You I remember as mostly sensible, but maybe a bit too sure in the way you state things - I doubt if you are such a authoritarian personality as to insist that you know. You are venturing good guesses about people's psychology - fear of death or of dying - and making reasonable suggestions for how to live more happily now. I think you are likely correct in many cases, but not absolutely correct in all cases. Still you are closer to rational than most - either "hard" believers or "hard" atheists who claim to know one thing or the other. I consider myself to be an agnostic (not making a knowledge claim) atheist (not believing in a God such as it is usually defined - and my own definition is definately not the usual one, nor do I connect with it in any way as a believer in it - it is more of an attempt at definition that is useful to trump all other definitions that I think are ridiculous). Good luck with your arguments if you enjoy them. If you ever want a converstion with me, I do not have my own computer, and only have time on Sat AM late after Chris Hayes and Melissa Harris Perry on MSNBC. From 11 to 1 central time. That is my way of both giving up on topix and yet not giving up on some persons I think are worthwhile conversing with, such as you.
I didn't take time to read your babble. I'll get back to it later.

I promise. I'll come back and read it.

Please don't think I'm skipping the crap.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Unable to refute what I said? Check.

And Dave, unlike your delusions and hallucinations my dream has already been realized an is observable in realty. Future generations will eclipse our knowledge in natural processes and their future generations will know even more.

Your superstitious ilk desperately clinging to a comforting myth will chuckled as many do now about ancient people who thought some god dragged the sun across the sky as the day went on. Call me Nostradamus-like because that will happen.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
yawn
Lovely.
But you will go pfffssttt before those dreams are realized.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Dave and Buck's pillow talk :)
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, thanks, Buck.
I would be even smarter if I had more info.
I am really amazed at the consistent low quality of reasoning ability of these Topix atheists. I mean it is below average.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 151,721 - 151,740 of217,965
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••