Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Imhotep

United States

#157678 Mar 2, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I agree.
Religion = superstition
Bleedin' obvious, innit!
Yes it is!

I would say religion = organized superstition

Have you noticed - It is the most disturbed and brainwashed pseudo Christians that post in these forums. Weak minded, frightened and delusional, they seek imagined redemption via endless circular arguments using their Bible as 'evidence'.

I have yet to encounter one true believer that has read this silly book.

They imagine they 'Know the unknowable', adopt a holier than thou attitude, and provide laughter for atheists.

Pascal's wager doesn't even work for Christians.

There are thousands of denominations each with unique soteriologies and eschatologies. So that your choice is much less than 1 in 10000, it's 1 in 10000 times the number of denominations or ... possibly God wants people who are not in any denomination or perhaps his name is Allah.

That an adult human being would find Pascal's wager in any way compelling speaks volumes about that person but little about the validity of the argument.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#157679 Mar 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>To be accurate, he is beyond your limitations of thought. What you call "rational" is on a low level. A little above bootstrap.
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Go sniff buck's fart bubbles, you senile old man.
Here's a clue, Batty Boy.

That gray mushy thing sitting on your desk? The one you use as Playdough and as a sex toy?

That is supposed to go into your skull. That is what it was designed for.

I would suggest giving it a good washing before installing it correctly, though.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#157680 Mar 2, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Not logical, BlackBuffoon.
As you are not all-knowing, you cannot conclude that allowing suffering for a wisp of time on this little planet is more or less "loving" than not allowing it. You may have an opinion, but you do not "know".
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." -Hamlet to Horatio
Hamlet is pointing out how little even the most educated people can explain.
Your argument falls even shorter than "not explaining", as your premise is illogical and, thus, invalid.
Welcome to Buck School.
Hamlet ~ "Alas, poor YorBuck! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy."

Hamlet is pointing out that the King's Jester, YorBuck, is now just a moldering skull held by a clown.

Hamlet ~ "My gorge rises at it."

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#157681 Mar 2, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Where the hell you been?
Hope all is well.
Party on!
Yo amigo!

I have taken a new job in a part of SA that can accurately be described as "rural". Getting access to ADSL is quite a mission. Furthermore, moving here cost quite a pretty penny, and I have not summoned the ADSL guys yet, I have too many other expenses.

Double Fine is infinitely humbled by all of your concern. Hope you all are doing well. I will check back some time.

Cheers

#157682 Mar 2, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Tried it. Didn't get past the wine.
After the wine comes the women. Just be patient

Cheers Buck

#157683 Mar 2, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Good to see you.
Same here, amigo.

Nice eye

#157684 Mar 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Cheers double fine! Enjoy the game :)
<quoted text>
Good to see you and all the others on here. Sigh, not much have changed.

But Double Fine have all the answers all the people on here was looking for.

Yes, Double Fine have seen God!!

He is living in Double Fine's mirror

:)

Double Fine signing off.

Cheers

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#157685 Mar 2, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
What caused such a thing? Every event has a cause. What caused time to begin? Just the objective facts, please, no speculation.
See, we're waiting for the facts, you are the one who has speculated and accepted a non-answer based on an assumption that's not only impossible to test, it's impossible to define. Thus, we'll wait until the people a lot smarter than you figure something out, then we'll learn it, study it, and see if we can poke holes in the actual ... data.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#157686 Mar 2, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's wrong, and not even science.
An organism reproducing does not tell us where the organism came from, i.e., its genesis. Evolution "alters" a thing, it doesn't "produce" it.
Nobody should ask you to explain something.
When things produce, they evolve ... a little bit at a time. So yes, the fact that they evolve is what produced the diversity of organisms.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#157687 Mar 2, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Good to see you and all the others on here. Sigh, not much have changed.
But Double Fine have all the answers all the people on here was looking for.
Yes, Double Fine have seen God!!
He is living in Double Fine's mirror
:)
Double Fine signing off.
Cheers
I see you've still got that famous DF humility.

Lol!

Location hidden

#157688 Mar 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
See, we're waiting for the facts, you are the one who has speculated and accepted a non-answer based on an assumption that's not only impossible to test, it's impossible to define. Thus, we'll wait until the people a lot smarter than you figure something out, then we'll learn it, study it, and see if we can poke holes in the actual ... data.
For someone waiting for the facts, you sure are positive about what you think you know.

No, not what you know, but what they tell you.

It seems you have to rely on people smarter than yourself to determine what is and what isn't.

Why are you preaching on here if you are so ignorant?

Since: Sep 10

Mexico

#157689 Mar 2, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
*Tips hat*
Hi All
Double Fine greets all of you. Can't stay though.
To a certain lawyer on here: Glory, glory Man United.
We will destroy Madrid this week.
To the rest of you: Stay happy, stay healthy. Drink lots of wine, have lots of sex and listen to good music.
Cheers
It's almost worth having to wallow in it just to hear from you, friend....

Since: Sep 10

Mexico

#157690 Mar 2, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
What caused such a thing? Every event has a cause. What caused time to begin? Just the objective facts, please, no speculation.
I know.

Some sort of god?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#157691 Mar 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
For someone waiting for the facts, you sure are positive about what you think you know.
No, not what you know, but what they tell you.
It seems you have to rely on people smarter than yourself to determine what is and what isn't.
Why are you preaching on here if you are so ignorant?
So ... you are calling me a liar.

Location hidden

#157692 Mar 2, 2013
Humans are thought to have started agriculture 12,000 years ago. Modern humans are thought to have started about 50,000 years ago.

Lets's start with agriculture. This allowed them to stay in one place and learn how to exploit the land and resources.

Our modern culture and technology is really only about 300 years advanced beyond the Iron Age.

Same humans, same brain, same intellectual thinking capacity, lots and lots of experience in civilization building and social construction. Yet this didn't explode until a period of 300 years out of 12,000. That is 1/40th of human civilization.

There were some pretty impressive civilizations in ancient times, lasting even longer than our present one. Yet their science and technology didn't explode like ours. They surely weren't dumb. We still read some of their books and wisdom.

What was the factor to cause the sudden explosion of knowledge in our present civilization different from that past, and where did that explosion begin?

Location hidden

#157693 Mar 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So ... you are calling me a liar.
Yes. That would be accurate.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#157694 Mar 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. That would be accurate.
So you never test the things others tell you, thus you are projecting your inability to actually question authority onto me. That is why you have to accuse me of lying, to cover up the fact that you are too gullible to actually do what I do.

I have studied the information and it is sound, I see no flaws in it, it was not "told" to me, I actually looked at it, well what I have had time for thus far. Evolution is fascinating, and I now wish I had begun questioning it sooner, so I could have learned more about it by now. It is not too late for you to question authority, you really should too, because an adult who doesn't question authority was a failure as a child.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#157695 Mar 2, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
When they collide, they are VERY, VERY close together. If not close together, nothing could collide.
When we talk on a galactic scale, close is somewhat different than
a traffic incident. Also gravitational attraction doesn't have to be as close as the refrigerator magnet is to the refrigerator to have an effect.

Location hidden

#157696 Mar 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you never test the things others tell you, thus you are projecting your inability to actually question authority onto me. That is why you have to accuse me of lying, to cover up the fact that you are too gullible to actually do what I do.
I have studied the information and it is sound, I see no flaws in it, it was not "told" to me, I actually looked at it, well what I have had time for thus far. Evolution is fascinating, and I now wish I had begun questioning it sooner, so I could have learned more about it by now. It is not too late for you to question authority, you really should too, because an adult who doesn't question authority was a failure as a child.
Most of what you see me post on here is my very own independent deductions and perspectives. I use the basic principles of applied physics and just carried them out further. I've even done some experiments and have worked in that kind of world. I use data obtained by modern science, but definitely not the theories behind it. There is a basic pattern to nature, and they have wondered away from it.

Your experience and perspective seems to be one that "reviews" the thoughts of others and make determinations of what is right and wrong. Instead of getting your hands dirty and injured, and your brain befuddled from trying to figure things out the hard way, You are not as unique as you would like to believe.

Location hidden

#157697 Mar 2, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
When we talk on a galactic scale, close is somewhat different than
a traffic incident. Also gravitational attraction doesn't have to be as close as the refrigerator magnet is to the refrigerator to have an effect.
:-)

Neither does the refrigerator magnet. Except its reach for the same force level is much lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg ggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.

Something like 10^39? Is that a lot?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 24 min Thinking 1,002
Islam for peace, or violence? 26 min Thinking 24
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr fadu singh 22,979
Man center of the universe. 2 hr Thinking 85
Razer and Ben Affleck take on the atheists Fri Thinking 6
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Oct 16 Mikko 1,401
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... Oct 16 tha Professor 146

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE