Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258041 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#157558 Mar 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say that people aren't homosexual, did I?
I used your version of logic to say that they aren't born that way - any more than people are born religious...
Actually... they are 'born that way'
You failed to read the article
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#157559 Mar 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What a crock of shit.
You just can't find none.
Come back when you have something to sell.
Crock of shit? You guys do this all the time, so it must be reasonable. Show me proof were these records DO NOT exist and then we can talk, until then I'm absolutely right about there being no records for the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. You lose!!!!!!!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#157560 Mar 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yes people come up with all kinds of crazy interpretations on mythological stories be it Harry Potter, Star Wars or the Bible.
<quoted text>
Harry Potter, Star Wars or the Bible aren't mythological stories, dipshit.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#157561 Mar 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You woul djust get in an argument with him who attracts the biggest audience of squirrels.
You would probably win because he would eat most of his supply.
That would be a cute video. You serenading squirrels and them twitching their tails in time. While they eat the peanuts you brought them. Neat trick, educating squirrels to good music.
Buckethead would tie their tails in knots.
Funny how you people always resort to delusional and magical events. Must be a character flaw!!!
bohart

White Pine, TN

#157562 Mar 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Just because you don't KNOW about testability and repeatable results, doesn't mean they don't exist. It only means that you are ignorant. From your post we can all tell you are either a very young uneducated person, or just another brainwashed Theists who's stupidity is on display for all to see. Go read a science book, then get back to me, until then you look like a complete idiot!!!!
As usual! you have no testability and no repeatable results,so you defend it by accusing the messenger of being ignorant.It's your faith that you are defending.

Please enlighten me with your testable and repeatable results on abiogenesis that produced life.If you have none, and you don't,then yours is a faith based belief and you are an evo puddle gooist .

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#157563 Mar 1, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
You just showed your bigotry and probably don't even know it.

You think that people aren't born religious, we are all born atheist. We become religious after certain factors have been reached, like influence of other people. But you think people are born gay w/o any outside influence.

Hypocrite.

Since: Sep 10

Mexico

#157564 Mar 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are such a synthetic entity.
I bet you wear 100% cotton to try and hide it.
Gabardine.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#157565 Mar 1, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
From your link:

"Homosexuality is romantic attraction, sexual attraction, or sexual activity between members of the same sex or gender."

How is it that a newborn baby has any kind of romantic attraction, sexual attraction, or sexual activity between members of the same sex or gender?!?!?

===

From one of the resources of your link:

"Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation."

Psychologists tend to disagree with you, Topix poster, that all gays are "born that way"....

Mexico

#157566 Mar 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy, you AND Catcher?
The whole sentence was "An atheist is not a person that believes in God".
It seems you both stopped at "An atheist is not a person".
Diction dude, diction.

Been going to Eagle school maybe?

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#157567 Mar 1, 2013
I would drop Dave's chunky bride Buck in one hit if he pulled his belly away from the buffet and tried to break bad with me and laugh as he cried. I wouldn't even drop my bottled water.

You old fat white republican Christholes don't scare me in the least Daffy.

Not in the least.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I seriously doubt you would insult anyone in person like you do hiding behind a computer. Hiding behind your stage name make you feel far more empowered than you really are in person. In reality you are probably a freaking coward.
How do I know this? Because that's how cowards act. You personify what cowardice is and what it stands for. Don’t let me rain on your parade. Your free to continue on acting like a coward. We expect nothing less from you.

Mexico

#157568 Mar 1, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
correction:
You're free to continue on acting like a coward. We expect nothing less from you.
There's hope after all.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#157569 Mar 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Crock of shit? You guys do this all the time, so it must be reasonable. Show me proof were these records DO NOT exist and then we can talk, until then I'm absolutely right about there being no records for the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. You lose!!!!!!!
You said the Romans kept meticulous records.

Prove it.

I pointed out in the past about the wars in that area, and Yahoo Yankee brought it up even better yesterday.

Prove there are surviving records of that day you say exist. Such would enhance your argument that because there were no records of him in Roman documentation, there was no Jesus.

You are railing against a 2000 year old religion. Prove it was based upon a hoax.

You are tooting false notes.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#157570 Mar 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Gabardine.
Is that the stuff Banana Republic made their cool dude safari costumes out of?

So chic.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#157571 Mar 1, 2013
Dave and his future bride Chunky Buck are full on defending Jesus today!

Love is in the air people! Dave is defending his bride Buck with the ferocity of 8 toothless George Burns'!

He is so upset he's bound to knock over a magnet!
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
I pointed out in the past about the wars in that area, and Yahoo Yankee brought it up even better yesterday.
Prove there are surviving records of that day you say exist. Such would enhance your argument that because there were no records of him in Roman documentation, there was no Jesus.
You are railing against a 2000 year old religion. Prove it was based upon a hoax.
CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#157572 Mar 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
From your link:
"Homosexuality is romantic attraction, sexual attraction, or sexual activity between members of the same sex or gender."
How is it that a newborn baby has any kind of romantic attraction, sexual attraction, or sexual activity between members of the same sex or gender?!?!?
===
From one of the resources of your link:
"Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation."
Psychologists tend to disagree with you, Topix poster, that all gays are "born that way"....
Homosexuality is one of the three main categories of sexual orientation, along with bisexuality and heterosexuality, within the heterosexual-homosexual continuum (with asexuality sometimes considered a fourth).

Scientific and medical understanding is that sexual orientation is not a choice, but rather a complex interplay of biological and environmental factors,[1][3] especially with regard to early uterine environment.[4]

While there are those who still hold the view that homosexual activity is "unnatural" or "dysfunctional",[5][ 6] research has shown that homosexuality is an example of a normal and natural variation in human sexuality and is not in and of itself a source of negative psychological effects.

Try reading for a change... My Gawd thou art stupid!

The American Psychological Association, the American Psychiatric Association, and the National Association of Social Workers state:
“ In 1952, when the American Psychiatric Association published its first Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, homosexuality was included as a disorder. Almost immediately, however, that classification began to be subjected to critical scrutiny in research funded by the National Institute of Mental Health. That study and subsequent research consistently failed to produce any empirical or scientific basis for regarding homosexuality as a disorder or abnormality, rather than a normal and healthy sexual orientation. As results from such research accumulated, professionals in medicine, mental health, and the behavioral and social sciences reached the conclusion that it was inaccurate to classify homosexuality as a mental disorder and that the DSM classification reflected untested assumptions based on once-prevalent social norms and clinical impressions from unrepresentative samples comprising patients seeking therapy and individuals whose conduct brought them into the criminal justice system.

In recognition of the scientific evidence,[129] the American Psychiatric Association removed homosexuality from the DSM in 1973, stating that "homosexuality per se implies no impairment in judgment, stability, reliability, or general social or vocational capabilities." After thoroughly reviewing the scientific data, the American Psychological Association adopted the same position in 1975, and urged all mental health professionals "to take the lead in removing the stigma of mental illness that has long been associated with homosexual orientations." The National Association of Social Workers has adopted a similar policy.

Thus, mental health professionals and researchers have long recognized that being homosexual poses no inherent obstacle to leading a happy, healthy, and productive life, and that the vast majority of gay and lesbian people function well in the full array of social institutions and interpersonal relationships.[2]

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#157573 Mar 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Show me proof were these records DO NOT exist and then we can talk,
Show me proof that God DOES NOT exist and then we can talk.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#157574 Mar 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
I know its true, i don't have to prove it. You have to PROVE that there are no such records, otherwise accept what I say, that simple. The burden of proof falls on you to prove my contention wrong, get busy!!!!!

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#157575 Mar 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a person.
I am a person who does not believe in gods.
What's with "an atheist is not a person that....."
"I am a person."

See spot run.

Run spot run.

See Jane chase spot.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#157576 Mar 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's hope after all.
4 word count.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#157577 Mar 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
Bless their heart, Atheist are like kids and will say anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 32 min scientia potentia... 23,521
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Thinking 21,881
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Into The Night 48,676
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 2 hr Into The Night 5,705
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 5 hr Igor Trip 69
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 6 hr Amused 3
What are the best arguments against religion? 11 hr Igor Trip 2
More from around the web