Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#157411 Mar 1, 2013
The universe is growing we are able to witness a new planet forming as we speak. Guess what? It is forming by completely natural devices and being observed doing so.

Time to put away childish things Dave.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Poor Topix atheists.
So full of fire and passion, and righteousness of their cause.
Self assured they exist at the top of the universal food chain and hierarchy. Confident their fellow man will see the truths of their views. They are a very brave very small percentage of humankind. They risk their lives among humans, and any soul they may possess after their futile existence here ends. All in the name of "the truth".
On stage here for all the world to see, viewed by the passionate eyes of mankind, and the dispassionate eyes of anything else that exists, at whatever level.
All while the great factory of this universe churns out product, with QA smoke testing each one. Day in and day out, in a not so passionate fashion.
It is hard for a part to not think it is the finished product, especially if it has the ability to think.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#157412 Mar 1, 2013
Those virtual particles keep showing up:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/...

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#157413 Mar 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There have been countless scientists that were scientists because they tried to figure out how "goddidit", lovey.
They are the ones that brought modern science to you to hijack with your numerology.
Michael Faraday for one. Your modern science wouldn't exist without what he did.
Not countless but quite a few. Modern science, Einstein, nope not christian

They helped

Consider Archimedes, Aristotle, Ibn Sirin, Jafar al-Sadiq, Ben Mousa, Ibn al-Haytham. These people lived hundreds (more than a thousand in some cases) of years before the reformation and science began to challenge christianity in it’s inward looking thinking. Without such a foundation as Ibn al-Haytham gave to the scientific method Faraday would have been and remained some guy pottering in his garden shed.

#157414 Mar 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The binding effects of that gravity disappear when you dream or die.
Nope the effects are still there, It’s your imagination playing tricks on you

Have you ever considered that you can still fall out of bed when you dream

#157415 Mar 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps the imagination relating to you of that sort may be better than the real thing. More fulfilling or satisfying.
For you at least

I hear you always considered masturbation as the real thing

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#157416 Mar 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Wow a soldier dies in service to our country and you think it's okay for him to be denied on his headstone.
Sorry but if a solider gives their life in service to our country I say he/she can have any symbol they or their loved ones wish on the headstone. The headstone is a memorial and comfort to the family first and next friends and associates. The soldier and family should have the freedom to say what that should be. Not angry bigoted jackasses like you.
Your bigotry and intolerance is stunning and a prime example why I call your ilk Christholes.
<quoted text>
You didn't read your own link, you could've just said that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#157417 Mar 1, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not as if only an atheist would find the compulsion of a Christian prayer obnoxious to some degree. There are alot of other religions out there too, you know.
A Christian prayer is necessarily prosletyzing Christianity. Is that really difficult to grasp? What if you lived in a community of Scientologists who insisted on leading a prayer to L. Ron Hubbard to open every meeting? You might not find that offensive enough to complain about, or maybe you would. But I'm sure you'd resent it.
Ya, true. I'd think it's kinda weird but I wouldn't try to stop them. As long as they're not sacrificing a goat or doing something illegal, I'd leave them be.

#157418 Mar 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
IOW - You have no idea. You just *think* it wasn't God.
<quoted text>
LMAO!
Honey just because the process is not yet fully understood does not mean you can throw in the town and say “I don’t understand so it couldn't have been God."
I am exactly as sure as you are but I am backed up by mathematics, logic, facts and science. You are backed up by a book compiled by committee (twice) and faith.

Who is throwing in the towel? Oh yes, christianity and has done for the last couple of thousand years. At least science is looking and the thing is “most” things are understood and there is no evidence that any god had a hand in it. Just because you don’t want to understand that is no reason not to search further

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#157419 Mar 1, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Critical thinking test: show causality between each leader's atheism and those atrocities. Were they all done in the name of atheism, or is the leader's atheism unrelated?
Nobody really does anything in the name of atheism...

It's not a cause worth fighting or dying for.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#157420 Mar 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Apology accepted. She's a director of a large software company and I'm very proud of her.
<quoted text>
That wasn't an apology....

I was telling you I'm sorry for you that your wife is French.

#157421 Mar 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
That's cool and it just shows how IDiotic these people are. Even theists in other countries are dumbstruck at the stupidity of the ID movement. A Methodist Minister trolls me about it on Facebook!
I just respond that not all Americans are stupid enough to fall for ID and then pwn his face in on the MMO he plays with me and my buddies. He rolls a silly shadow priest and thinks he's going to dual my Deathknight. Not a prayer's chance he'll win I tell him!:))
He's pretty cool for a preacher man I must say.
<quoted text>
Many preachers etc are ok, it’s the sheep that have the problem

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#157422 Mar 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
More bigotry forced upon our fighting men and women in the Military. They deserve better than this!
http://militaryatheists.org/news/2012/01/army...
"bigotry"?

LMAO! Since when is "Humanist" a religious preference????

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#157423 Mar 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
He was a pagan Daffy. Good grief you are slow!
<quoted text>
You REALLY didn't read that article. He was Wiccan. And the VA couldn't approve a Wiccan headstone because there's no univeral, accepted Wiccan symbol.

#157424 Mar 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
I'm playing poetic today before going off to get new glasses.
Perhaps I will get a new perspective on the world. Maybe even Christine will look good to me, and I don't have to use my imagination.
:-)
Maybe you will be able to see who you are smooching!!!
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#157426 Mar 1, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Without testable hypotheses and repeatable results , all you have is personal opinion, and an ignorant faith based one at that.
Just because you don't KNOW about testability and repeatable results, doesn't mean they don't exist. It only means that you are ignorant. From your post we can all tell you are either a very young uneducated person, or just another brainwashed Theists who's stupidity is on display for all to see. Go read a science book, then get back to me, until then you look like a complete idiot!!!!

#157427 Mar 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Numbers were invented to be able to tell how many kids you have. heheheh
I though is was to tell how many fingers you have

Scottsburg, IN

#157428 Mar 1, 2013
Pretty early for you to be humiliating yourself already isn't it?

In more sane news...

http://news.yahoo.com/1st-photo-alien-planet-...

And what do you know? It's forming by natural processes. No sky wizard or anything supernatural in the least.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't read your own link, you could've just said that.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#157429 Mar 1, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope the effects are still there, It’s your imagination playing tricks on you
Have you ever considered that you can still fall out of bed when you dream
Maybe you shouldn't be sharing it with 4 bikers and a midget.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#157430 Mar 1, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you will be able to see who you are smooching!!!
yer posts are vulgar...

just sayin

Scottsburg, IN

#157431 Mar 1, 2013
I have met some nice ones before. The Priest at Wifey's Catholic Church is actually a well read Dude. I was really just showing how insane the ID garbage is. Even Theists in other countries shake their head when they hear about it.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Many preachers etc are ok, it’s the sheep that have the problem

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min READMORE 34,982
News Are There Atheists in the Foxholes? 32 min emperorjohn 68
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 34 min emperorjohn 199
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 46 min An NFL Fan 20,073
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 46 min emperorjohn 150
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Thinking 14,934
News The Atheist Delusion': Ray Comfort's Masterpiece 5 hr thetruth 77
More from around the web