Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
151,121 - 151,140 of 224,019 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Prayer in public schools should be banned when it is being directed by School employee’s or administration.
Individual students right to pray is not and should not every be infringed upon. This includes football games and graduation ceremonies.
So you'd be willing to allow Hindu Prayers?

Buddhist prayers?

Jewish prayers?

Muslim prayers?

Wiccan prayers?

Satanist prayers?

You see, if all you allow is christian prayers, that is promoting one religion over all others,on the taxpayer dime, which is expressly unconstitutional.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Imaginary beings are beyond my grasp, yes.
Even though right now I'm up in the blue skies.
The Mexican Cartels would be so appreciative that you love their product.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>What problem do you have with the phrase?
It’s such a interesting and complex legal term.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So when you say,“foist your religious belief.”
Are you are talking specifically about our right to vote and participate in government at all levels?
The Constitution starts out as,“We the People.”
That doesn’t mean, We the Atheist, but “We the People,” which is inclusive of all people of every race, culture and religion.
People of religious faith have the right to participate and shape their government just like everyone else.
I do understand and support separation of Church and State. For example I would be opposed to a law in the United States that made Sharia Law, the law of the land.
Would you be opposed to a law that made christianity the law of the land?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Imaginary beings are beyond my grasp, yes.
Even though right now I'm up in the blue skies.
OMG. HA ! I remembered how much OCB argued that the sky isn't blue....

How's the weather up there? Open a window.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Our military doesn't get crosses. They get headstones with the appropriate religious symbol engraved in them.
Even atheists.
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/emblems.htm
Nice. As it should be.

So don't go knockin our military people's crosses.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Because they have emotional issues?
Bzzzzt! Wrong answer.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So you'd be willing to allow Hindu Prayers?
Buddhist prayers?
Jewish prayers?
Muslim prayers?
Wiccan prayers?
Satanist prayers?
You see, if all you allow is christian prayers, that is promoting one religion over all others,on the taxpayer dime, which is expressly unconstitutional.
Yes of course.

Derp, that's what "freedom of religion" is all about.

If some high school football team wants to perform a Wiccan prayer before the game, who cares? That's their American right.

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
When the majority wanted prayer in schools and the majority of kids prayed anyway, prayer in schools was not religion promoting itself...
It has nothing whatever to do with a majority of any kind. In fact, quite the reverse. The Constitution and our court system were specifically crafted to protect society from the tyranny of the majority.

A public school does not recognize or legitimize any specific religion, as is true of all other government agencies. If you want your kids to pray, they are free to do so at home, in church, or at a private religious school. The only reason to have prayer in public schools is to proselytize to other kids. It's really that simple, and that is exactly what the courts have reconfirmed time and again. You really don't see that?

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because they're trying to find God but don't know where to look. Had prayer stayed in schools, you'd know this.
Nope. And I think you know that is a disingenuous answer anyway.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you be opposed to a law that made christianity the law of the land?
I would. That's anti-American.

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So when you say,“foist your religious belief.”
Are you are talking specifically about our right to vote and participate in government at all levels?
Nope. You are free to vote how you like just like everyone else.
The Constitution starts out as,“We the People.”
That doesn’t mean, We the Atheist, but “We the People,” which is inclusive of all people of every race, culture and religion.
People of religious faith have the right to participate and shape their government just like everyone else.
You do, but the government itself will never endorse any religion.
I do understand and support separation of Church and State. For example I would be opposed to a law in the United States that made Sharia Law, the law of the land.
See? We agree. You can put the victim card away now.

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Prayer in public schools should be banned when it is being directed by School employee’s or administration.
Individual students right to pray is not and should not every be infringed upon. This includes football games and graduation ceremonies.
Individual students are perfectly free to pray as they like individually or in a group of those who agree with them. They are not free to lead the entire school in prayer. Not sure why you got off track there at the end.
Thinking

Staines, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pooh-poohed
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"pooh pooh?"
Thinking

Staines, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

My wife is French, cuntard.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
We have a very large piece of real estate here in the US. Unlike for example a small island where everybody knows every body and is related to everybody. We have a lot more diversity and don't need to marry our cousins like they do in island countries and communities.
It would be a lot better if you Brits mixed up your gene pool by marring someone outside the islands. Too much inbreeding is not good thing in the long run. It’s pretty obvious what inbreeding does to your teeth.
All you Brits need a front end alignment with you teeth and your faces look like you have been hit by a truck.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
It has nothing whatever to do with a majority of any kind. In fact, quite the reverse. The Constitution and our court system were specifically crafted to protect society from the tyranny of the majority.
A public school does not recognize or legitimize any specific religion, as is true of all other government agencies. If you want your kids to pray, they are free to do so at home, in church, or at a private religious school. The only reason to have prayer in public schools is to proselytize to other kids. It's really that simple, and that is exactly what the courts have reconfirmed time and again. You really don't see that?
I almost agreed with you. The first paragraph was spot on. The second, not so much.

My kids have every right to pray in school as yours do to not pray. My kids have every right to start a prayer group in school or a Christian group in school as any kid has the right not to. So long as the school or it's employees are not advocating or denigrating said group, it's perfectly acceptable and legal.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. And I think you know that is a disingenuous answer anyway.
Not really. That is my honest opinion.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Thinking wrote:
My wife is French
Ouch!

I am sorry.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Individual students are perfectly free to pray as they like individually or in a group of those who agree with them. They are not free to lead the entire school in prayer. Not sure why you got off track there at the end.
I've been to many school football games, many City Hall meetings, Realtor meetings & several school celebrations/ceremonies.

ALL of them started with a prayer. Everyone participated, but everyone didn't have to.

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I almost agreed with you. The first paragraph was spot on. The second, not so much.
My kids have every right to pray in school as yours do to not pray. My kids have every right to start a prayer group in school or a Christian group in school as any kid has the right not to. So long as the school or it's employees are not advocating or denigrating said group, it's perfectly acceptable and legal.
No, you are right. They are free to pray in private, or form private religious groups. We still agree.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 31 min Patrick 357
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 4 hr Liam R 12
Of Interest InTheNews 4 hr Reason Personified 2
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr Patrick 181
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 7 hr Patrick 21,376
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 11 hr Thinking 831
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 13 hr Patrick 1,285
•••
•••