Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#157261 Feb 28, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
They and hundreds of others have stopped. I could post link after link but under you lack the IQ and reading comprehension.
<quoted text>
Too bad that link after link I'd prove your stupid ass wrong.

I know you wanna stop the evil act of prayer, but you can't. The Constitution says you can't.

HA !

“Fear is the Mind-Killer”

Since: Jun 08

Albuquerque, NM

#157262 Feb 28, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution doesn't hate anything, ya halfwit.
And your second sentence, well, makes no sense.
Of course it does.

The very nature and essence of natural selection is to select only the best, the strongest, and those that benefit the whole species.

Ergo, no petty desires that do not benefit the whole species allowed.

Anthropology 101, the human species builds its traditions and morals on evolutionary principles, which is why they are universe in every advanced civilization where the same virtues and morals can be found.

My, you atheists are disappointing when it comes to the intellect.

Albuquerque, NM

#157263 Feb 28, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
You state this yet provide none. Shock shock. That's because there is none.
<quoted text>
Wrong.

The case for Jesus has been challenged, and successfully defended for 2000 years. It was attacked when Christianity was still fresh, and all failed to discredit it.

There is plenty of secular evidence. No Christian, EVER, had to defend his faith, or explain this to you. Only you have the burden of proving all the evidence false in history. Good luck!

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#157264 Feb 28, 2013
Wow a soldier dies in service to our country and you think it's okay for him to be denied on his headstone.

Sorry but if a solider gives their life in service to our country I say he/she can have any symbol they or their loved ones wish on the headstone. The headstone is a memorial and comfort to the family first and next friends and associates. The soldier and family should have the freedom to say what that should be. Not angry bigoted jackasses like you.

Your bigotry and intolerance is stunning and a prime example why I call your ilk Christholes.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Third, this so-called religion is Wicca. Which symbol? Does she get to decide which symbol all Wiccans must use. Currently there is no symbol recognized universally for Wicca.
EVERY religion or non religion must have an approved symbol. There is even one for atheism. This is NOT the VA that is disallowing anything. They are just following their laws.

Albuquerque, NM

#157265 Feb 28, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
So hitler killing all those Jews who he dubbed Christ killers was a good thing in your eyes. Just like a family member dying of cancer sparked the cancer treatment center?
This just goes why Christianity is the worst possible form of morality imaginable.
<quoted text>
Evidently, I have to repost again, because you didn't read it the first time, or you are mentally challenged.

Typical ignorance.
Christianity 101. All that is evil can only exist by an act of free will. This does not negate the power God may exercise to make something good emerge from a tragedy.
Just as family members who might lose a loved one to cancer, to make something good turn out of it by starting a new cancer-aware program.
A logical atheists would know this, and would not make this error. A rational atheists takes the time to learn the theology, before making such foolish remarks.

Albuquerque, NM

#157266 Feb 28, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, great! Another subset to the WAG family! "evolution also hates" How do you come up with this shit?
Logic

Albuquerque, NM

#157267 Feb 28, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are neither rational nor logical, and you have no idea what those even mean. You are deluded into thinking your imaginary friend is real in spite of being unable to present any real evidence that it is more than imagination.
False.

All science suggests design, not accident, in the universe. The evidence is abundant, which is why humanity has always sought who this designer was.

Or, are you making the bold claim that humanity is universally stupid and superstitious?:)

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#157268 Feb 28, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry I’m late on this, been a little preoccupied with work projects.
I am happy with my grasp of reality and so are billions of other people happy with theirs. Your Davesworld dreams don’t actually count as reality in the real world.
Numbers are inventions of man and they are used to help explain what once was unexplainable, without just 2 of those numbers (0 and 1) you would not have been able to post your comment, just imagine how powerful an almost infinite number of numbers can be.
However to make the guess that goddidt with no evidence as backup is a little delusional even by the high standards you place on delusion.
Thanks for the smooch but I prefer to know where the people I kiss have been
Numbers were invented to be able to tell how many kids you have. heheheh

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#157269 Feb 28, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhh Good one Comrade Mikko, Stalin would be so proud.
hitler would be proud of you!

Albuquerque, NM

#157270 Feb 28, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have *got* to be kidding. Many things are not intended for children: driving, drinking alcohol, drinking coffee, entering into contracts, etc. I don't have sex with my wife in front of children, but that doesn't mean I am ashamed of doing so.
Your 'universal moral standard' is laughable.
Not kidding at all, nor do you seem to be paying attention.

Everything you listed are things we teach children, and prepare them for. There is no shame in any of that.

But you claim you would not be slightly embarrassed letting your kids watch you have sex with your wife?

How about getting so drunk you vomit on yourself?

How about getting stoned?

How about letting them see an orgy with your wife? Or, seeing you have sex with someone else other than your wife, perhaps even another male?

Sorry, children are indeed a universal measuring stick for what society deems acceptable. You know I am right, but your ideology and beliefs are getting in the way, aren't they?:)

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#157271 Feb 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Not my perspective, just trumpeting (cool eh) what Theists have been insisting on. I pretty much know it's all a load of shit, I was never impressed with magic, and I have player a lot of really good magicians.
After listening to most Theist explain their beliefs I have often wondered that if there was a God thing, why he never included in his "Rules for the Club", the 10 commandments, a commandment ageist being gullible. like...Thou shalt not be credulous. I'm really not surprised after considering all that was left out of these "club rules" Nothing about child abuse or rape, I wonder why??? Could it be thats why Priest think they have free reign with the young. Kind of like the slave owners of the old South seeing nothing wrong with owning another human being since the bible, and therefore their God, fully approved of the practice. Christopher Hitchens was right..."religion poisons everything."
It can. Did yours. Your entire moral woed view is built on one. You wouldn't have those views without its existence.

Wasn't the church that molested the children, it was homosexual predators hiding in it, even though it was against church doctrine. Where was their morality? They sure weren't following that doctrine.

In the beginning slavery saved lives of conquered people. They would have been put to death or starved to death if there wasn't an economic use for them. It was money and greed that created that huge slave trade that was abolished. And there were players from across the whole board involved in that. It was abolished primarily because of religious objections.

Quit pulling stuff out of that package they gave you.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#157272 Feb 28, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I’ve been away from this thread for a while and don’t really remember much of the discussion so I did a quick recap. The disagreement seemed to be over the term paradox in relation to the understanding of the universe.
The sciences of cosmologists and theoretical physics are very precise, such misunderstanding of basic terminology can lead to errors. Where the disagreement lies is in the nitty gritty of understanding, not in the whole sort of general mish mash
The disagreement is that you think we have it all figured out, when clearly we do not. There are many paradox right now and they are just the way that it is. We explain things as best as possible but are still lost when it come to conclusion about the universe as a whole.

Albuquerque, NM

#157273 Feb 28, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong!
Moses and Jesus exist only in the Bibles each cult uses as 'proof'.
Both Roman and Egyptian history do not record these men of myth.
Supposed Jesus witnesses
Josephus - Born 37 CE
Phlegon - Born about 80 CE
Tacitus - Born 56 CE
Pliny the Younger - Born 61 CE
Suetonious - Born about 69 CE
The Babylonian Talmud - 200CE
Lucian - Born 125 CE
Phlegon - 2nd century
How exactly are these guys witnesses to something that happened before they were even born?
Hearsay isn't admissible in court for a reason.
--
Tacitus was born in 56 CE, more than two decades after the alleged execution.
In fact, his writings about Jesus were done in 116 CE. This cannot be anything but 3rd hand (if not 4th or 5th) retelling, and the historical validity of the tale is therefore nil.
Since he was the first to write about it, where did he get the info? Surely not from earlier writings, right?
LOL!

So the letters from the Apostles in the Bible are not admissible? the later sources do not confirm their writings?

That is far more evidence than necessary, we have less for the existence of Caesar himself, we have far less historical sources for most of Roman history than we do the events surrounding Jesus.

But you exclude the Bible itself, which naturally would be a collection of the most conclusive evidence, since that is what the religion is based on?

LOL!!!!!!

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#157274 Feb 28, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Abiogenesis means:
I have no idea how it all started. I just know God didn’t do it because,……..well because.
Lame Eagle, abiogenesis is ..even if god did it,
we still want to know how.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#157275 Feb 28, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't have freedom of religion without freedom from religion!
Interesting, I had to argue with someone who said there was no such thing as freedom from religion. Imagine that , some people even think
these no freedom from religion.

Albuquerque, NM

#157276 Feb 28, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, because they lacked the knowledge we have and made things up in its place.
<quoted text>
No, you have the burden of proof to support the events with something other than highly questionable reports.
<quoted text>
That's not true at all. Archaeology has debunked numerous stories like Noah's Ark and the Exodus.
<quoted text>
No, he doesn't.
<quoted text>
One where people readily attach themselves to 'prophets'. You can look at the Bible alone and see it. Paul seems to be bitten by a snake while gathering wood. Oh, he just disturbed where the snake was laying, right? Nope, the locals say this means Paul is a murderer who the goddess is punishing. Paul doesn't immediately die. A modern person might think he didn't actually get bitten, or the snake didn't inject any venom, or it was a non-venomous snake, or Paul might have immunity to that venom. The locals? He's a god!
<quoted text>
That's simply not true. Joseph Smith had multiple witnesses who claimed they were shown the magic plates by angels and said they heard God's voice tell them it was all legit.
<quoted text>
They should at least agree on the major tenets like Jesus' divinity.
<quoted text>
By any reasonable standards. The same standards you'd use against other claims. If I told you I used to be able to fly, there's no way you'd believe it on my word alone. You wouldn't even believe it if a couple of my friends told you they saw me do it.
<quoted text>
Of course it would be open for discussion. But you'd need to provide some evidence of it.
<quoted text>
They're not necessarily lying. They can be delusional as well, or simply misinformed. Given the complete implausibility of the claims, all 3 of these options are far more likely than the idea that the claims are true.
<quoted text>
You don't have hundreds of witnesses testifying to it and social changes aren't indicative of truth.
Mormonism has better established witnesses and immediately resulted in a large community of believers which now number in the millions.
Just as we lack knowledge now about how many things were built then. Thus, the point.

I have no burden of proof whatsoever. If you believe people were dishonest about their testimonies that Christianity is based on, then you have the burden, and always will. They are questionable by what standard? Those reports are far more numerable than reports about other people, like Caesar. We have NO original sources for Caesar's existence, just copies of lost originals, that would be lost had monks not taken the time to copy them. But the sources for Jesus were copied far more extensively, and from the original sources.

Archaeology has debunked nothing. It has confirmed far more events in the Bible that were taken on faith before. There will always remain mysterious and lost cities, however.

No, Joseph Smith had no witnesses.

Neither did Mohammed.

If they are delusional, then you STILL have the burden to provide evidence of it. The dead cannot defend themselves, and are not subject to perpetual speculation by the likes of you.

Albuquerque, NM

#157277 Feb 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
The lack of original thought in posts by the majority of Topix atheists reveals the likely reality of them being programs using algorithms and heuristics to simulate a real human. But that lack of flexibility, use of the same phrases and talking points, and lack of uniqueness people have in expressing themselves gives them away. Crude artificial intelligence.
Might be part of some scientific study instead of just advancing an agenda, who knows? Just advancing an agenda would be counterproductive, as they truly do look less than intelligent human beings.
The funny part is the true human atheists jump in and support them, which reflects a more emotional motivation than an intellectual one.
LOL!

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#157279 Feb 28, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Freedom is a myth.
If the bleeding heart liberals have their way it will be.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#157280 Feb 28, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
hitler would be proud of you!
Especially since my relatives tried to kill his army.

Albuquerque, NM

#157281 Feb 28, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did you omit the planets greatest mass murderer?
What was his name? Do you recall? Sure you do!
Who could forget these truly amazing stats?
1- The entire population of the earth at the time of Noah, except for eight survivors.(Genesis 7:23)
2- Everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah.(Genesis 19:24,25)
3- Amalek and his people.(Exodus 17:8¬16)
4- 3,000 Israelites.(Exodus 32:27,28)
5- 14,700 Jews.(Numbers 16:44¬49)
6- The people of Og. "So they smote him, and his sons, and all his people, until there was none left him alive: and they possessed his land." (Numbers 21:33¬35)
7- 24,000 people.(Numbers 25:4¬9)
8- All Midianite males.(Numbers 31:6¬12)
9- The Ammonites.(Deuteronomy 2:19¬21)
10-The Horims.(Deuteronomy 2:22)
11-The Amorites. "…utterly destroyed the men and the women and the little ones." (Deuteronomy 2:33¬35)
12-The Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites. "... thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them;" (Deuteronomy 7:1¬5)
13- Everyone in Jericho but one family.(Joshua 6:20¬25)
14-12,000 people of Ai.(Joshua 8:19¬29)
15-All the people of Makkedah.(Joshua 10:28)
16-All the people of Libnah.(Joshua 10:29,30)
17-All the people of Gezer.(Joshua 10:33)
18-All the people of Eglon.(Joshua 10:34,35)
19-All the people of Hebron.(Joshua 10:36,37)
20-10,000 Perizzites and Canaanites.(Judges 1:4)
21-All the inhabitants of the land of Goshen "... neither left they any to breathe." (Joshua 11:12¬16)
22-The inhabitants of Hormah, Gaza, Askelon, Ekron.(Judges 1:17¬19)
23-10,000 Moabites.(Judges 3:29)
24-600 Philistines.(Judges 3:31)
25-All the hosts of Sisera.(Judges 4:16)
26-120,000 Midianites.(Judges 8:10)
27-1,000 Philistines.(Judges 15:15)
28-25,100 Benjaminites.(Judges 20:35)
29-50,070 people of Bethshemesh.(1 Samuel 6:19)
30-All the Amalekites. "Slay both man and woman, infant and suckling…." (1 Samuel 15:3¬7)
31-200 Philistine men, in order to obtain their foreskins as the price for buying a bride.(1 Samuel 18:27)
32-22,000 Syrians.(2 Samuel 8:5)
33-40,000+ Syrians.(2 Samuel 10:18)
34-The Ammonites of Rabbah, who were tortured to death by the great King David.(2 Samuel 12:29¬31)
35-70,000 people.(2 Samuel 24:15)
36-Every man in Edom.(1 Kings 11:15)
37-All the prophets of Baal.(1 Kings 18:40)
38-127,000 Syrians.(1 Kings 20:28¬30)
39-Moabite captains & "fifties." (2 Kings 1:9¬14)
40-42 children, eaten by bears.(2 Kings 2:23,24)
41-185,000 Assyrians killed in their sleep.(2 Kings 19:35)
42-500,000 men of Israel.(2 Chronicles 13:16¬20)
43-20,000 Edomites.(2 Chronicles 25:11,12)
44-120,000 Judeans in one day.(2 Chronicles 28:5,6)
45-75,500+ people.(Esther 9:12¬14)
If there is safety in numbers - tell that to 6 million jews.
And that still doesn't come close to the mass murder of ideological regimes. You just provided the numbers to prove the point ... even God can't compare to human's self-destructive frenzies in the name of replacing God with the State.

Tch tch.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Zog Has-fallen 18,847
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 11 hr Amused 25
News Confessions of a black atheist 11 hr thetruth 465
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 19 hr thetruth 6,124
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 19 hr thetruth 2,094
News The Consequences of Atheism 22 hr Koala_Gums 1,340
News Gary Gutting and Alvin Plantinga "Is Atheism Ir... Sat geezerjock 1
More from around the web