Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Thinking

Shaftesbury, UK

#157188 Feb 28, 2013
You rednecks all f**k your sisters, right?

Truth hurts, don't it?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA !
You Brits always get so offended by the dentist remarks.
Truth hurts, don't it?
Thinking

Shaftesbury, UK

#157189 Feb 28, 2013
Some of this is a side effect of talking down to your level.
Dave Nelson wrote:
The Topix atheist intellectual contributions to this forum, and others, relevant to religion, existence, or the topic of this thread.
"Christhole"
"Religiturd"
"Yourtoostoopidtoundersta ndbecauseyouareatheist"
"Butwhatabout (fill in blank)"
"Science says"
[fill in blank] says"
"It's all natural processes"(as in what they read in a book)
With intellectual development like that they don't need no faith. Just ask them.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#157190 Feb 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
The Creature from the Black Lagoon.
A form arising in the mud from a distant song. To collapse after the last note is played.
Did that form pass on the music correctly? Is it a keeper song? Does it have future potential in a larger ensemble?
Only the composer knows.
I don't write "songs" arrangements or extended works, not that you would understand the difference. Being illiterate in any subject is kind of sad, especially when you pretend to know.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#157191 Feb 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
The Topix atheist intellectual contributions to this forum, and others, relevant to religion, existence, or the topic of this thread.
"Christhole"
"Religiturd"
"Science says"
[fill in blank] says"
With intellectual development like that they don't need no faith. Just ask them.
The Topix Theist intellectual contribution.

"An imaginary being made man out of a pile of dirt."

"Noah filled his boat with millions of different species, and for an entire year."

"Of the hundreds of thousands of Gods, we Christians have the "right " one.

"Don't even attempt to believe millions of hard working and very intelligent scientists, EVOLUTION, dispute mountains of evidence, is a lie!!!

" I can go to church and pray over a cracker, it "WILL" turn into the body of Jesus."

I don't "EVER need evidence I have FAITH,"

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#157192 Feb 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Um... Here, again:
"Life on Earth evolved from a universal common ancestor approximately 3.8 billion years ago."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
===
"The central idea of biological evolution is that all life on Earth shares a common ancestor"
evolution.berkeley.edu/
===
"we all share a common ancestor in the distant past"
www.newscientist.com/topic/evolution
Yeah?

Go on.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#157193 Feb 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
OK
<quoted text>
No
<quoted text>
No
<quoted text>
NO
<quoted text>
No
We have the Constitution to back us up.
No you don't.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#157194 Feb 28, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
No you don't.
Freedom of religion is a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or community, in public or private, to manifest religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship, and observance.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

We even have a statue for our freedom in our "secular" capital...

"Our liberty of worship is not a concession nor a privilege, but an inherent right."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Worship-m...

Tough titty

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#157195 Feb 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The Topix Theist intellectual contribution.
"An imaginary being made man out of a pile of dirt."
"Noah filled his boat with millions of different species, and for an entire year."
"Of the hundreds of thousands of Gods, we Christians have the "right " one.
"Don't even attempt to believe millions of hard working and very intelligent scientists, EVOLUTION, dispute mountains of evidence, is a lie!!!
" I can go to church and pray over a cracker, it "WILL" turn into the body of Jesus."
I don't "EVER need evidence I have FAITH,"
Tsk.

Such limited perspective. So much you have to pull your intellect out of that informational packet they gave you.

Can't think past the strictly literal.

Loony, a suggestion for you to expand your mind. This is sincere, and will open up perspectives you didn't know existed.

Instead of just thinking you are a god, try imagining actually being one and how you would do things then. The universe is your orchestra, and they ain't all the best players possible, but you are stuck with them.

No poofing allowed.

Even Jehovah had to work until he got tired. In the beginning.

You might gain a little sympathy for the conductor.

Off to get glasses.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#157196 Feb 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:

"Christhole"
"Religiturd"
"Science says"
[fill in blank] says"

We don't have strings, magnets and fart bubbles.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#157197 Feb 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Freedom of religion is a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or community, in public or private, to manifest religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship, and observance.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

We even have a statue for our freedom in our "secular" capital...

"Our liberty of worship is not a concession nor a privilege, but an inherent right."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Worship-m...

Tough titty
And it's been legally established that we don't have to endure your insanity.

Tough titty.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#157198 Feb 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Right.
Common sense and intuition should tell you that intelligent design exists because you use it everyday. We all do.
From a wristwatch to a battleship to a skyscraper, humans employ intelligent design all the time.
But when it comes to something as complex as the universe, earth, humans, and all life - nope, you can't imagine that.
Must be by accident.
Creator maybe?

Designer?

God?

Dude!!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#157199 Feb 28, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
And it's been legally established that we don't have to endure your insanity.
Tough titty.
Freedom is wonderful, ain't it?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#157200 Feb 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Creator maybe?
Designer?
God?
Dude!!
It's too hard for you to grasp. I understand....
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#157201 Feb 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Tsk.
Such limited perspective. So much you have to pull your intellect out of that informational packet they gave you.
Can't think past the strictly literal.
Loony, a suggestion for you to expand your mind. This is sincere, and will open up perspectives you didn't know existed.
Instead of just thinking you are a god, try imagining actually being one and how you would do things then. The universe is your orchestra, and they ain't all the best players possible, but you are stuck with them.
No poofing allowed.
Even Jehovah had to work until he got tired. In the beginning.
You might gain a little sympathy for the conductor.
Off to get glasses.
Not my perspective, just trumpeting (cool eh) what Theists have been insisting on. I pretty much know it's all a load of shit, I was never impressed with magic, and I have player a lot of really good magicians.

After listening to most Theist explain their beliefs I have often wondered that if there was a God thing, why he never included in his "Rules for the Club", the 10 commandments, a commandment ageist being gullible. like...Thou shalt not be credulous. I'm really not surprised after considering all that was left out of these "club rules" Nothing about child abuse or rape, I wonder why??? Could it be thats why Priest think they have free reign with the young. Kind of like the slave owners of the old South seeing nothing wrong with owning another human being since the bible, and therefore their God, fully approved of the practice. Christopher Hitchens was right..."religion poisons everything."

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#157202 Feb 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Freedom is wonderful, ain't it?
Freedom is a myth.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#157203 Feb 28, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You just called one on your own side a "Idiot."
I shant not question your judgment in this matter since you do not make mistakes. Anyway who would know better who is an “Idiot” than another “Idiot.”
Good job Homer.
Learn to read.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#157204 Feb 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What is? Your assertion that God isn't real? I know.
<quoted text>
Then why do you believe God isn't real? You have no evidence of that belief.
<quoted text>
You don't exist on the "cutting edge", do you?
I only dismiss your god, like all the others, because you have no evidence, none. That is not an assertion, and you projecting your failure onto people who dismiss your god like that is telling of how insecure in your own beliefs you are.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#157205 Feb 28, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Freedom is a myth.
The first right, or freedom, guaranteed in the Bill of Rights is freedom of religion. Freedom of religion guarantees to all Americans the right to practice any religion they choose, or to practice no religion at all.

The right to express your ideas and opinions when you speak is called freedom of speech.

The freedom to express your ideas and opinions in writing is known as freedom of the press.

Another priceless freedom guaranteed by the First Amendment is freedom of assembly.

The freedom of petition is the right to ask your government to do something or to refrain from doing something.

The Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees Americans the right to bear arms.

The Bill of Rights contains many rights that are guaranteed to persons accused of a crime. Amendments Five, Six, Seven, and Eight are all concerned with these rights. Our nation places great importance on these rights in order to guarantee equal justice for all Americans.

The Fifth Amendment guarantees Americans the right to own private property.

Freedom to live or travel anywhere in our nation.

Freedom to work at any job for which we can qualify.

Freedom to marry and raise a family.

Freedom to receive a free education in good public schools.

Freedom to join a political party, a union, and other legal groups.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#157206 Feb 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>The first right, or freedom, guaranteed in the Bill of Rights is freedom of religion. Freedom of religion guarantees to all Americans the right to practice any religion they choose, or to practice no religion at all.

The right to express your ideas and opinions when you speak is called freedom of speech.

The freedom to express your ideas and opinions in writing is known as freedom of the press.

Another priceless freedom guaranteed by the First Amendment is freedom of assembly.

The freedom of petition is the right to ask your government to do something or to refrain from doing something.

The Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees Americans the right to bear arms.

The Bill of Rights contains many rights that are guaranteed to persons accused of a crime. Amendments Five, Six, Seven, and Eight are all concerned with these rights. Our nation places great importance on these rights in order to guarantee equal justice for all Americans.

The Fifth Amendment guarantees Americans the right to own private property.

Freedom to live or travel anywhere in our nation.

Freedom to work at any job for which we can qualify.

Freedom to marry and raise a family.

Freedom to receive a free education in good public schools.

Freedom to join a political party, a union, and other legal groups.
All myths.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#157207 Feb 28, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep your religion
Keep it out of public education.
Keep it out of government.
Keep it out of legislation.
Keep it of public property.
I’m in agreement with what you are saying but with some exceptions.

Crosses on military graves for example should remain.

Because someone is of a Christian faith does not stop their right to participate in government at all levels and vote. The preamble of the Constitution says,“We the People.”

That means all people including Atheist, Christians and people of other cultures and faith.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 30 min thetruth 18,689
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 34 min thertruth 9,327
News The Consequences of Atheism 40 min thertruth 1,317
News Atheists open up: What they want you to know 17 hr Liam R will return 31
News Confessions of a black atheist 17 hr Peaks 399
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Sat thetruth 2,059
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) Sat thetruth 165
More from around the web