Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
150,981 - 151,000 of 226,561 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#157081 Feb 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Most atheists would agree with you.
Topix atheists are a different breed.
ďcdesign proponentsistsĒ

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#157082 Feb 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You promote teaching ToE.
There is much speculation & assumption in that particular theory.
There is ZERO evidence that all life on this planet came from one life. But you promote that assumption to America's youth as if its fact.
You know!!ďcdesign proponentsistsĒ
Imhotep

United States

#157083 Feb 28, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
So what?
Some Christians endorse Darwinism. Some science professors in Baptist and Catholic colleges endorse Darwinism.
Is Darwinism creationism, then? No.
All christians believe the universe was designed. Some of them specifically support Intelligent Design Theory; some do not. Some Intelligent Design Theorists are christian; some are not. Some are not even theists. Some Darwinist scientists are christian; some are not.
None of that goes to show ID is creationism.
So far you're batting "0".
Best Explanation?

Abductive Reasoning yields only probable truth, and yet it doesn't attempt to predict specific future, probable occurrences the way inductive reasoning does. Rather, it seeks to provide the most plausible broad, explanatory hypothesis.

Diagnosticians: moving from facts or data or events to a coherent, plausible explanation.
Detectives: evidence theory
Historians: facts explanations
Scientists: data hypothesis
Physicians: symptoms diagnosis
Mechanics: problem solution

Abductive reasoning can be helpful in efforts to determine which argument for a given event is best.

I use an abductive approach to decide which explanation best settles the controversy surrounding these two provocative apologetics issues:

1. What is the best explanation for Jesus Christ's true identity? Was He man, myth, madman, menace, mystic, Martian, or messiah?

2. What is the best explanation for complex life on planet Earth? Was it more likely the result of divine creation or naturalistic evolution?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#157084 Feb 28, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The fight is against something you believe doesnít exist.
Your not fighting the belief UFOís exist.
Nor are you asking the elimination of the tooth fairy.
Your not going to war against Dracula.
Your not fighting the elimination of Santa.
You are not fighting the people who say we didnít land men on the moon.
But you are fighting against God. God must be real or you wouldnít be fighting so hard.
Thanks for the reply, Eagle12.

A Topix exchange of views isn't 'so hard' and I don't see it as fight. I was using the language of your post.

I simply confront ignorance. If one only believes anything as far as the belief can be justified by reason and evidence, it is no problem to change one's mind. It is when one invests too much that something is true or correct that one has a problem changing one's view. Acts of faith and religious dogma that insist on irrational things being sacred or non-negotiable impede people changing their minds.

Resisting change unreasonably is 'un-USAmerican' too. It would be better for the USA (and therefore the world) if the USA remained innovative and abandoned religiously fundamentalist dogma like:'Jesus was sent by a god and died for our sins'. He was just another prophet of a religion - one that ancient Rome found politically advantageous to promote. Obvious nonsense should be seen for what it is.

Even facts change with time. Once it obvious that the world was flat. "Any fool" could see that for themselves. It is obvious now that Abrahamic gods are no longer tennible, but it takes time and effort to get such 'radical'(and for some people, counter-intuitive) discoveries accepted by the general population.

The USA overcame prejudice against women, blacks, gays. Now it's time to overcome all prejudice and hostility to atheism.

Religion = superstition
Get over it.

Your and You're...
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-You 're-and-Your
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#157085 Feb 28, 2013
Speaking of ingnorance, I meant 'tenable', not tennible!(I can never be bothered with spellchecker!:-)

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#157086 Feb 28, 2013
I have an Aussie buddy who is a Methodist minister of all things and he face palms at ID! Yes a Methodist Minister in Australia Lols at ID and accepts the proven science of evolution!
Thinking wrote:
Most christians over here accept Evolution, compartmentalise it and get on with their lives.
ID is for the embarassing toddlers that are still screaming "no no no!"
<quoted text>

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#157087 Feb 28, 2013
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/27/world/europe/ru...

Waves, harmonics. Instruments sensitive enough to pick up frequencies we weren't designed to. One little rock. Felt all over the planet. Think of all the other energies occurring all of the time.

The earth is not as "solid" as you think.

Location hidden

#157088 Feb 28, 2013
Atheism is a belief system developed by those needing support for their personal ego's wish to believe they are the best thing that could be created. Out of the magic mist come they.

Belief in the facts they follow a blueprint, and their glorious selves emerged into a pre-made existence architecture is just not allowed. It deprecates their self worth.

Location hidden

#157089 Feb 28, 2013
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22684170/tr...

A perfect example of the insanity that has infected this country.

Where does he go when he is 15? Where does he go when he gets old enough to go in by himself? In a WalMart, an airport, a MacDonald's?

All of this demand because of a confused 6 year old boy.

Simple enough. No more communal restrooms. All individual. Maybe a communal handwashing area and makeup mirrors.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#157090 Feb 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.denverpost.com/news /ci_22684170/transgender-1st-g rader-must-wait-ruling-use-sch ool
A perfect example of the insanity that has infected this country.
Where does he go when he is 15? Where does he go when he gets old enough to go in by himself? In a WalMart, an airport, a MacDonald's?
All of this demand because of a confused 6 year old boy.
Simple enough. No more communal restrooms. All individual. Maybe a communal handwashing area and makeup mirrors.
Back in the "old days" that kid woulda' just toughed it out like you did, huh, Dave.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#157091 Feb 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
I do.
I now pronounce you husband and husband, you may kiss the groom.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#157092 Feb 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing, the illusion you have thinking you have a grasp on the reality of it all.
Numbers are not a substitute for a deity or other higher level of existence. They are inventions of man. You just have no idea how contrived that theoretical physics of yours is.
The number of the Beast is that of a man.
Numbers just can't quantify all that there is, so you can never really get the grasp of it all.
But you are still cute. <Smooch>
Sorry Iím late on this, been a little preoccupied with work projects.

I am happy with my grasp of reality and so are billions of other people happy with theirs. Your Davesworld dreams donít actually count as reality in the real world.

Numbers are inventions of man and they are used to help explain what once was unexplainable, without just 2 of those numbers (0 and 1) you would not have been able to post your comment, just imagine how powerful an almost infinite number of numbers can be.

However to make the guess that goddidt with no evidence as backup is a little delusional even by the high standards you place on delusion.

Thanks for the smooch but I prefer to know where the people I kiss have been

Location hidden

#157093 Feb 28, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
That is not the TOE, that is the origin of life.
Don't argue about it with me, argue it with "mainstream science"....

"Life on Earth evolved from a universal common ancestor approximately 3.8 billion years ago."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

===

"The central idea of biological evolution is that all life on Earth shares a common ancestor"

evolution.berkeley.edu/

===

"we all share a common ancestor in the distant past"

www.newscientist.com/topic/evolution

===

The list goes on and on....

Your belief of evolution is HINGED on the assumption that all life came from one life.

And that guess is being taught to our youth as fact.

Location hidden

#157094 Feb 28, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Back in the "old days" that kid woulda' just toughed it out like you did, huh, Dave.
Like countless millions, including yourself.

You read the options the school provided. But his parents and the LBGT crowd want to impose their mental issues and fantasies on the rest of the world, establishing them as "normal".

Wheres does this fantasizing becoming reality stop?

Location hidden

#157095 Feb 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Intelligent design is a hoax, deliberately perpetrated.
You don't know that, you only think that.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#157097 Feb 28, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Then we agree to disagree, that's ok though because most all cosmologists and theoretical physicists do.
Never in history have all of them agreed on anything.lol
Iíve been away from this thread for a while and donít really remember much of the discussion so I did a quick recap. The disagreement seemed to be over the term paradox in relation to the understanding of the universe.

The sciences of cosmologists and theoretical physics are very precise, such misunderstanding of basic terminology can lead to errors. Where the disagreement lies is in the nitty gritty of understanding, not in the whole sort of general mish mash

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#157098 Feb 28, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a perfect example of an Atheist that DOES believe there is no God.
Not an atheist that has an absence of all believe.
Merriam-Webster
athe¬∑ist\ňąńĀ-thńď-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity
Point proven thanks Aerobatty!
To easy.
I don't speak for all atheists.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#157099 Feb 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You make some remarkably pitiful attempts at looking intelligent.
ROTFLMMFAO!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#157100 Feb 28, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Iím talking about what you are fighting against. Youíre fighting something that you say doesnít exist. I donít believe in the tooth fairy. You donít seem me fighting the tooth fairy. You claim you donít believe in God. Yet you are fighting like hell against God.
What in the hell is wrong with you? Do you believe in God or donít you?
Religion exists.

Dummy.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#157101 Feb 28, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for the reply, Eagle12.
A Topix exchange of views isn't 'so hard' and I don't see it as fight. I was using the language of your post.
I simply confront ignorance. If one only believes anything as far as the belief can be justified by reason and evidence, it is no problem to change one's mind. It is when one invests too much that something is true or correct that one has a problem changing one's view. Acts of faith and religious dogma that insist on irrational things being sacred or non-negotiable impede people changing their minds.
Resisting change unreasonably is 'un-USAmerican' too. It would be better for the USA (and therefore the world) if the USA remained innovative and abandoned religiously fundamentalist dogma like:'Jesus was sent by a god and died for our sins'. He was just another prophet of a religion - one that ancient Rome found politically advantageous to promote. Obvious nonsense should be seen for what it is.
Even facts change with time. Once it obvious that the world was flat. "Any fool" could see that for themselves. It is obvious now that Abrahamic gods are no longer tennible, but it takes time and effort to get such 'radical'(and for some people, counter-intuitive) discoveries accepted by the general population.
The USA overcame prejudice against women, blacks, gays. Now it's time to overcome all prejudice and hostility to atheism.
Religion = superstition
Get over it.
Your and You're...
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-You 're-and-Your
ďabandoned religiously fundamentalist dogma like:'Jesus was sent by a god and died for our sins'ď

Our Nation,(United States) was founded on the principle of Freedom of Religion. Freedom is the cornerstone of our society. What you are suggesting is taking away our freedom. A practice that has been done before in places like China and the Soviet Union.

Even where you live thereís Freedom of Religion. I say start with your own country. Abandon Freedom and make it mandatory to be Atheist. Letís see how that goes with the population.

Good luck Comrade EdSed.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Thinking 21,529
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 5 hr Thinking 5,921
The Ultimate Evidence of God 9 hr James 68
The myth of the angry atheist 20 hr _Bad Company 3
Our world came from nothing? Mon Patrick 436
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) Mon Patrick 13
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom Sat religionislies 58
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••