Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
150,681 - 150,700 of 226,592 Comments Last updated 23 min ago

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#156773 Feb 26, 2013
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/...

Big gap between what we know here and what we think we know.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#156774 Feb 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>We *know* that GR doesn't take into account quantum effects. The problem is finding a theory of gravity that *does*.

[QUOTE]Wikipedia:
If anyone finds a case where all or part of a scientific theory is false, then that theory is either changed or thrown out.
"

And it is well known that GR will have to be modified in some way since it isn't a quantum theory of gravity. The problem is two-fold: 1) we don't have any current evidence specifically relating to quantum aspects of gravity, and 2) merging QM and GR has proven to be quite challenging. We have a couple of possibilities: string theory and loop quantum gravity. But because of the lack of evidence, we cannot test between these.

Second, in practice we still use Newton's theory of gravity in many cases: it is easier to use and gives very good approximations in most situations. So even if a quantum version of gravity is found and verified, GR will still be used for those situations where quantum effects are small and relativistic effects are significant.

But the expansion of the universe is NOT a quantum effect. The basic of the BB theory are not due to quantum effects. So GR works quite well until you get up to energies that are far, far higher than anything inside of stars today. The basic theory is still going to be valid even under a quantum theory of gravity.
Yup.

And String Theory fails too.

"If anyone finds a case where all or part of a scientific theory is false"

My new Theory "the Theory of Quantum Relativity Strings"

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#156775 Feb 26, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>Even if the planet is the size of Jupiter and the tallest mountain only a few thousand meters high?

If earth was shrunk down to the size of a Q-ball it would be much smoother then the Q-ball. Could gravity be able to start it spinning that smooth?
Dave is batshit crazy.

What does he think.

The heavy side is going to fall down?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156776 Feb 26, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>The mind of many of these Atheist are maligned and deviant. They fight so very hard against something they don’t believe in.

Like the man that claims there’s no fish in the sea yet he wrestles with a fish that is so huge he can’t pull him in. Why fight the fish and try to reel him in if there is no fish?

They say God doesn’t exist yet they wage war against God as if he does exist. Why fight something that doesn’t exist? Unless of course he does exist.

If I didn’t believe in God I would just go about my business. Why fight something you don’t believe is real?
Religion exists.

God doesn't.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156777 Feb 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Gravity works in straight lines, each tiny piece of mass to every other tiny piece of mass in the universe.

A perfect ball has a center of mass. Add a mountain and it is like a lever on that center, which then changes, BTW, because of the change in mass. In space you wouldn't have that fulcrum as you do on earth, but once the gravitational attraction starts the two balls moving you get all sorts of dynamics going, momentum, any EM attraction or repulsion, and a dance as the barycenter changes and has to work against that motion. The two ball example is oversimple. With other balls around you have the gravity force providing a fulcrum for the ball with the mountain to be levered on its axis. Theorectically it would just take a pile of dirt. Look up Newton's Theory on the effect of mountain on gravity. Mountains pull objects to the side because of their mass. Not a whole lot mind you, but it does. It has been proven. This mass in a straight line is also why you have gravitational anomalies on earth. Varying densities in its makeup. The strongest pull of gravity is diametric because of this, but you also have pulls to all the other mass, that one is just the strongest.
You're an idiot Dave.

Deal with it.

You will never be as smart as you think you are.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#156778 Feb 26, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if the planet is the size of Jupiter and the tallest mountain only a few thousand meters high?
If earth was shrunk down to the size of a Q-ball it would be much smoother then the Q-ball. Could gravity be able to start it spinning that smooth?
The momentum in a falling body in orbit (curved path) changes it's angle of attack as it travels around the source of gravity holding it, causing an inertia shift .
This causes the spin of moons or planets , regardless of its shape.
This is called angular momentum. In physics from the very small to the very large, things have a natural tendency to spin and this is explained by angular momentum.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#156779 Feb 26, 2013
do do

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#156780 Feb 26, 2013
Red Bandana wrote:
do do
You win the prize for the most intelligent post made here in days.

Congrats.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#156781 Feb 27, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The mind of many of these Atheist are maligned and deviant. They fight so very hard against something they dont believe in.
One minute you say that we are fighting against something that we don't believe in and then the next minute you are tell us that we believe in god, we just don't want to follow his rules.

Which is it?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156782 Feb 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
These Topix atheist forums are highly amusing for one veru comical aspect.

Where else can you get acknowledged derivatives of stellar shit, pond scum, monkey orgies, and similar get on and assume a higher morality and purpose in life than those who believe we were designed by a higher intelligence and purpose beyond just having monkey orgies.

Their screeching at God's creations reveals their true identities.

A bit presumptuous of them, but they don't know no better.
Who says we have a purpose in life?

The universe is going to come to an end someday anyway.

I'd rather spend my life exploring and learning (something you should try) than waiting to die so I could be with jesus.

Really Dave. What purpose could we have other than to live and learn and look for happiness?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156783 Feb 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
An absolute truth is an unalterable and permanent fact.
If that's the case, then your statement that you have 2 dogs is not an absolute truth, since they will not live forever.

Try again.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156784 Feb 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists are under the impression their "non-belief" is license to mock and ridicule religions and their adherents for not sharing their "non-belief".
They are protesting discrimination and alleging persecution of their "non-belief". They should be protected from religious persecution, they proclaim.
They have no belief.
They think they are above the laws they seek to protect them, that they are allowed to engage in ridicule and to proselytize their "non-belief".
They won't be prosecuted for being atheists, but for expressing hatred for religions.
Topix atheists are stupid.
The willful ignorance of believers is what gives us license to mock believers.

If you don't want to be made fun of, don't have such silly beliefs.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156785 Feb 27, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
We serve God not vice versa Mr Entitlement.
Your last sentence shows you to be a maltheist
Some people prefer to serve humanity.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156786 Feb 27, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
We serve God not vice versa Mr Entitlement.
Your last sentence shows you to be a maltheist
BTW, I like that word "maltheist".

Except that an atheist CAN'T be a maltheist.

From rational wiki:

Maltheism (from "mal" meaning bad, or illness, and theism, from... well, theism) is the idea that God is just out to get us and that he or she or it is malicious, like a kid who keeps removing the pool ladders in The Sims. A Maltheist, therefore, is someone who believes that a god or gods exist, and that they are evil, malicious, incompetent, or otherwise causing the suffering of humanity. In essence, Maltheism is the idea that God exists and is not worthy of worship.

I especially like that last line. If a god exists, it's certainly not worthy of worship.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156787 Feb 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think God decides morality?
Pretty much every theist on the planet.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#156789 Feb 27, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup.
And String Theory fails too.
"If anyone finds a case where all or part of a scientific theory is false"
My new Theory "the Theory of Quantum Relativity Strings"
And if it is false, it has to be modified or replaced. The problem is finding a good modification that fits the evidence and is internally consistent. There are many varieties of string theory that have been formulated. At this point, they are all still in the running, but some are more in trouble than others. There have been many times when theories were 'in trouble' just before they were verified.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156790 Feb 27, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A interesting concept Doctor. However the vacuum of space would destroy any and all living organism traversing from Mars to the Earth.
Not true.

Bacteria that were brought back from the moon, after being deposited there by previous humans, were brought back to life.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156791 Feb 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
YOu know what's really funny? He knocks the Bible when he lied about the Bible saying the Earth is 6,000 years olg then he went on to bitch about the Great Flood, saying "There has been no such flood in the last 4 billion years or so."
4,000,000,000,000 years "or so".......
(with no evidence to support that hugemongous guess)
LMMFAO!
Google scares the shit out of you, doesn't it.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156792 Feb 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The Pope attested to that error recently. Was purely a math error on the part of a scribe when they made the new calendar if I remember right.
Damned math heads. They messed up religion. Then science.
Making the math fit the error, eh?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#156793 Feb 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're willing to blame God for these millions of deaths, you should be willing to thank God for the billions of lives....
God doesn't exist.

The believers are to blame.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 28 min The_Box 21,532
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) 1 hr Amused 17
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 4 hr Jaimie 62
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr Thinking 438
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 15 hr Thinking 5,921
The Ultimate Evidence of God 19 hr James 68
The myth of the angry atheist Mon _Bad Company 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••