Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#156718 Feb 26, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
You said that catholics weren't christians; what does it matter what the pope says?
You are one confused little boy. You have never heard ME say that.

Location hidden

#156719 Feb 26, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! You rest your entire argument on that!?!? LOL!
Are you on drugs today, or just forgot to take them?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#156721 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. Allow me to rephrase.
Why do you think Christians think God decides moraltiy?
Primarily because Christians tell me this is what they believe. There is also the prevalent idea among Christians that atheists have no basis for morality.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#156722 Feb 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Scar, have you ever trimmed Jerusalem thorn trees?
No, I haven't. I just looked them up.

I lived in N Arizona for a while and there was tree/shrub similar to that, but not that one. I was @3500+ elevation and I'm thinking the temps during winter were too harsh for it to survive.

Location hidden

#156723 Feb 26, 2013
If the post office doesn't deliver you any mail, does it exist?

If the post office doesn't deliver you any mail, do you exist?

If the post office delivers mail, but it isn't picked up, do you exist?

Is there any evidence the post office really exists?

If the post office delivers mail postage due, would you pay it? Would you exist if you didn't?

If a stamp blew in under your door, would that be proof the post office exists?

God, those Topix atheists are such intellectual discussioners.

Location hidden

#156724 Feb 26, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I haven't. I just looked them up.
I lived in N Arizona for a while and there was tree/shrub similar to that, but not that one. I was @3500+ elevation and I'm thinking the temps during winter were too harsh for it to survive.
They are supposed to take some cold.

I was wondering because that is the wickedest tree to trim there is. Thorns in the dark bark you don't see that just don't stick you, they lacerate you. Gorgeous tree, but it loves blood. It is one you approach and handle with caution.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#156725 Feb 26, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Keep trying- you're just making youself look cuntish at present.
Do I smell cuntish?

No, that's just my finger...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156726 Feb 26, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't blame any god or Santa; just trying to show you christians how screwed up your mythology is.
You can't. Not until you at least recognize there are two sides to the coin. All you atheists do is focus on negative, negative, negative... Without trying to understand why any scripture is written. You just cry out "GODDIDIT!"
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#156727 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're willing to blame God for these millions of deaths, you should be willing to thank God for the billions of lives....
There isn't any god RR - but there are TopixBibleThumpers™ that think one or more exists.

I have never had an atheist knock on my door and want to come into my house to discuss my religious beliefs.

I have never been approached in public by an total stranger who happened to be an atheist asking me personal questions about my religious beliefs.

I have never had an atheist stand up in a meeting at a public event such as a at a school or government event and say "Let us not pray to an imaginary being".

I cannot count the number of times that I have had different religious groups canvassing my neighborhood looking for more recruits for their cults.

I cannot count the number of times that I have been at gas stations or department stores and have had random people come up to me and ask "Are you saved" or "Do you have Jesus in your heart".

I politely tell them that there is nothing to be saved from and that their Jesus is an unsubstantiated myth.

For some reason they always seem offended, even though they started the conversation.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156728 Feb 26, 2013
The_Box wrote:
Yes, he is.
Derp. No, He isn't. Jesus singular, people is plural....
The event in question, that people supposedly saw, was of a man walking on water and doing miraculous things.
Yes....
You're trying to support a miraculous claim not with evidence, but with a second miraculous claim. That doesn't work.
And you are trying to deny a claim without evidence. All you've offered is your opinion about it with your comprison to Jesus Christ's and a human's limitations.
The reports of abductions are superior to the reports of Jesus' miracles. Do you disagree? If so, why?
How so?

Let's see if they hold up for the next 2,000 years and 1/3rd of the world's population agrees with it, then we'll talk.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156729 Feb 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
Primarily because Christians tell me this is what they believe.
Maybe you should research some stuff yourself instead of just being a follower.
There is also the prevalent idea among Christians that atheists have no basis for morality.
I'm sorry for that. I've seen it on Topix a lot - more than I'd like to. I've known atheists that have very good moral sturctures and very good family values. Just because someone is atheist doesn't mean they're evil. In turn, just because someone is Christian doesn't mean they're good....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156730 Feb 26, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
There isn't any god RR {{{{SNIP}}}}
I just gotsta stop ya there.

This is something you know?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#156731 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because God has never seemed to answer your prayers, or you can't find His Facebook page, does not mean that your assumption that He doesn't exist is correct.
Nope. Wrong.
You say the deity reflects the values of the believer, but you didn't acknowledge that love also reflects the values of the one in love. You know that what one perso find to be love, another might find to be disgust...
So you are agreeing with me that God is whatever you want it to be?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#156732 Feb 26, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>And again, just because:
You know your deity's man-made when it hates all the same people you do.
Exactly!
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#156733 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I just gotsta stop ya there.
This is something you know?
That's ok RR...
It is something I have observed.
The invisible and the non-existant are very much alike.
I searched for the origin of religions and found them all false.

Oddly many others have said much more than any alleged holy book.

Examples:

"This is the sum of duty. Do not unto others that which would cause you pain if done to you." -- Mahabharata 5:1517, from the Vedic tradition of India, circa 3000 BCE

"What is hateful to you, do not to our fellow man. That is entire Law, all the rest is commentary." -- Talmud, Shabbat 31a, from the Judaic tradition, circa 1300 BCE

"That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever is not good for itself." -- Avesta, Dadistan-i-dinik 94:5, from the Zoroastrian tradition, circa 600 BCE

"Hurt not others in ways that you find hurtful." -- Tripitaka, Udanga-varga 5,18 , from the Buddhist tradition, circa 525 BCE

"Surely it is the maxim of loving kindness, do not unto others that which you would not have done unto you." -- Analects, Lun-yu XV,23, from the Confucian tradition, circa 500 BCE

"One should treat all beings as he himself would be treated." -- Agamas, Sutrakrtanga 1.10, 1-3, from the Jain tradition, circa 500 BCE

"Regard your neighbor's gain as your gain and your neighbor's loss as your loss." -- Tai-shang Kang-ying P'ien, from the Taoist tradition, circa 500 BCE

"Do not do to others that which would anger you if others did it to you." -- Socrates (the Greek philosopher), circa 470-399 BCE

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#156734 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. Allow me to rephrase.
Why do you think Christians think God decides moraltiy?
Brainwashing. Most every time that I hear a christian talk about morality, they bring up the ten commandments, but they only recall 4 or 5 of them.

They say, "god gave us the ten commandments! Don't you think that it is a good idea not to kill, steal, commit adultery or lie?"

OK, that is 4. 40% is not very good.

They sometimes throw in, "Shouldn't children obey their parents?"

OK, 50% isn't much better.

Let's face it, you don't remember the sabbath and keep it holy.

You have images all over the place.

You don't misuse your god's name, mostly because you don't know it.

You lie your ass off. If fact, some believe that it is OK to lie, if you are lying to bring people to god.

Every 'christian' on here has bragged about how much they have.

When asked why 'christians' don't follow all of their god's laws, they quickly claim that those nasty laws were for the Jew, not the 'christian'.

Hmmm, cause this is how god starts off the 10 commandments;

Exodus 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,

2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

My people weren't in the land of Egypt.

Location hidden

#156735 Feb 26, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
There isn't any god RR - but there are TopixBibleThumpers™ that think one or more exists.
I have never had an atheist knock on my door and want to come into my house to discuss my religious beliefs.
I have never been approached in public by an total stranger who happened to be an atheist asking me personal questions about my religious beliefs.
I have never had an atheist stand up in a meeting at a public event such as a at a school or government event and say "Let us not pray to an imaginary being".
I cannot count the number of times that I have had different religious groups canvassing my neighborhood looking for more recruits for their cults.
I cannot count the number of times that I have been at gas stations or department stores and have had random people come up to me and ask "Are you saved" or "Do you have Jesus in your heart".
I politely tell them that there is nothing to be saved from and that their Jesus is an unsubstantiated myth.
For some reason they always seem offended, even though they started the conversation.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams
Is there any difference between a religious group or a political activist group approaching you in public or at home? What about opinion poll takers?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#156736 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Which of those two posts did I say that emotions don't exist???
I said they can't be scientifically proven or explained.
And I wrote "DO", not "Do".......
"Nobody can prove scientifically that emotions exist"

They certainly can. Read the articles.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156737 Feb 26, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
That's ok RR...
It is something I have observed.
The invisible and the non-existant are very much alike.
I searched for the origin of religions and found them all false.
In other words, "There isn't any god RR" is just your opinion.

Thanks.

You should start adding that little detail in when you're telling someone about something.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156738 Feb 26, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Brainwashing. Most every time that I hear a christian talk about morality, they bring up the ten commandments, but they only recall 4 or 5 of them.
They say, "god gave us the ten commandments! Don't you think that it is a good idea not to kill, steal, commit adultery or lie?"
OK, that is 4. 40% is not very good.
They sometimes throw in, "Shouldn't children obey their parents?"
OK, 50% isn't much better.
Let's face it, you don't remember the sabbath and keep it holy.
You have images all over the place.
You don't misuse your god's name, mostly because you don't know it.
You lie your ass off. If fact, some believe that it is OK to lie, if you are lying to bring people to god.
Every 'christian' on here has bragged about how much they have.
When asked why 'christians' don't follow all of their god's laws, they quickly claim that those nasty laws were for the Jew, not the 'christian'.
Hmmm, cause this is how god starts off the 10 commandments;
Exodus 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
My people weren't in the land of Egypt.
Guess what?

My people aren't in the land of Egypt, either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 23 min Save This Nation 2,210
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Thinking 23,171
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr _Bad Company 1,437
God' existence 13 hr polymath257 55
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 13 hr polymath257 112
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 13 hr Geezerjock 1
Australia: black magic pervert retard 15 hr Thinking 4
Evidence for God! 16 hr ChristineM 366
More from around the web