Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,528)

Showing posts 150,541 - 150,560 of218,172
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You deny that truth is absolute?
I have no idea what "absolute truth" is.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
In the beginning God..
That's an absolute lie.

What is absolute truth?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an absolute lie.
What is absolute truth?
In the beginning was the curd, and the curd was with Gouda, and the curd was Gouda.

Cheesus Christ, what am I saying?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow a science nut admitting that GR is not a 100% working scientific theory.
We *know* that GR doesn't take into account quantum effects. The problem is finding a theory of gravity that *does*.
Wikipedia:
If anyone finds a case where all or part of a scientific theory is false, then that theory is either changed or thrown out.
And it is well known that GR will have to be modified in some way since it isn't a quantum theory of gravity. The problem is two-fold: 1) we don't have any current evidence specifically relating to quantum aspects of gravity, and 2) merging QM and GR has proven to be quite challenging. We have a couple of possibilities: string theory and loop quantum gravity. But because of the lack of evidence, we cannot test between these.

Second, in practice we still use Newton's theory of gravity in many cases: it is easier to use and gives very good approximations in most situations. So even if a quantum version of gravity is found and verified, GR will still be used for those situations where quantum effects are small and relativistic effects are significant.

But the expansion of the universe is NOT a quantum effect. The basic of the BB theory are not due to quantum effects. So GR works quite well until you get up to energies that are far, far higher than anything inside of stars today. The basic theory is still going to be valid even under a quantum theory of gravity.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Right.
If it's not intended for children, usually that means society is ashamed of it.
Thus, my point.
What is goof enough for children is actual a universal moral standard. Sociology 101. There is a reason why evolution makes us feel "ashamed" by certain actions.
You have *got* to be kidding. Many things are not intended for children: driving, drinking alcohol, drinking coffee, entering into contracts, etc. I don't have sex with my wife in front of children, but that doesn't mean I am ashamed of doing so.

Your 'universal moral standard' is laughable.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
That particular caterpillar has really painful sting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddleback_cater...
I've been stung buy all sorts of creatures and at least in my experience, it feels like someone smacked you with a red hot framing hammer.
I grew up in Miami and played with bugs for years. One day I was pruning a bush in the yard and got stung by a light green caterpillar we had down there that I had played with during that time and never got stung by. Didn't know they could even sting. That was absolutely the most painful sting I ever had in my life.
Thinking

Staines, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

I once saw someone get stung by a bee.

$20 for a pot of honey.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up in Miami and played with bugs for years. One day I was pruning a bush in the yard and got stung by a light green caterpillar we had down there that I had played with during that time and never got stung by. Didn't know they could even sting. That was absolutely the most painful sting I ever had in my life.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Simple translation. Am math template was formed by math heads that they think the universe must conform to. Too much statistics and probabilities to be accurate, in addition to incorrect interpretation of events that created that template. But they won't let that stop them, The universe vill conform!!

They would do better if they started off with a plain piece of paper and used some basic math. After they resolve some basic issues between reality and math concepts. Theoretical points are one of those.

Circles and straight lines create quanta, and leave unaccountable spaces.

"The mathematical formulations of quantum mechanics are abstract. A mathematical function called the wavefunction provides information about the probability amplitude of position, momentum, and other physical properties of a particle. Mathematical manipulations of the wavefunction usually involve the bra-ket notation, which requires an understanding of complex numbers and linear functionals. The wavefunction treats the object as a quantum harmonic oscillator, and the mathematics is akin to that describing acoustic resonance. Many of the results of quantum mechanics are not easily visualized in terms of classical mechanics--for instance, the ground state in a quantum mechanical model is a non-zero energy state that is the lowest permitted energy state of a system, as opposed to a more "traditional" system that is thought of as simply being at rest, with zero kinetic energy. Instead of a traditional static, unchanging zero state, quantum mechanics allows for far more dynamic, chaotic possibilities, according to John Wheeler.

The earliest versions of quantum mechanics were formulated in the first decade of the 20th century. At around the same time, the atomic theory and the corpuscular theory of light (as updated by Einstein) first came to be widely accepted as scientific fact; these latter theories can be viewed as quantum theories of matter and electromagnetic radiation, respectively. Early quantum theory was significantly reformulated in the mid-1920s by Werner Heisenberg, Max Born and Pascual Jordan, who created matrix mechanics; Louis de Broglie and Erwin Schrödinger (Wave Mechanics); and Wolfgang Pauli and Satyendra Nath Bose (statistics of subatomic particles). And the Copenhagen interpretation of Niels Bohr became widely accepted. By 1930, quantum mechanics had been further unified and formalized by the work of David Hilbert, Paul Dirac and John von Neumann,[2] with a greater emphasis placed on measurement in quantum mechanics, the statistical nature of our knowledge of reality, and philosophical speculation about the role of the observer. Quantum mechanics has since branched out into almost every aspect of 20th century physics and other disciplines, such as quantum chemistry, quantum electronics, quantum optics, and quantum information science. Much 19th century physics has been re-evaluated as the "classical limit" of quantum mechanics, and its more advanced developments in terms of quantum field theory, string theory, and speculative quantum gravity theories."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanic...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Thinking wrote:
I once saw someone get stung by a bee.
$20 for a pot of honey.
<quoted text>
I use to throw rocks at their hives and then run like hell back to the house with them chasing me. Sometimes I lost.
Thinking

Staines, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Why?

Cruelty to animals deeply bothers me.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I use to throw rocks at their hives and then run like hell back to the house with them chasing me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I use to throw rocks at their hives and then run like hell back to the house with them chasing me. Sometimes I lost.
That made me think of the environment I grew up in. Kind of redneck. That is an environment where you don't think, you just do. Thinking is put on hold until if and when you survive your youth. Good system, but you always have those that never grow out of it. You have those in every system.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Why?
Cruelty to animals deeply bothers me.
<quoted text>
Read the post I just put up about being a redneck.

You learn from being mean and stupid. Rather you can learn. Brings out your true nature. When you hurt something for fun there is an inner you asking you why you did that. Most people get gentler after that.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
Simple translation. Am math template was formed by math heads that they think the universe must conform to.
Wrong. Observations were made that didn't agree with classical mechanics. So a different model (actually several models) was proposed. it turns out to give predictions that agree with observations. There is no assumption that the universe *must* agree with the model. But the fact of the matter is that it does whenever we are able to test it.
Too much statistics and probabilities to be accurate, in addition to incorrect interpretation of events that created that template. But they won't let that stop them, The universe vill conform!!
No, they don't *have* to conform. But they do. if you think that the interpretations are wrong, please suggest alternatives that allow precise predictions that are testable.
They would do better if they started off with a plain piece of paper and used some basic math. After they resolve some basic issues between reality and math concepts. Theoretical points are one of those.
Funny, that is pretty much what actually happened about 100 years ago when quantum theory was invented.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Observations were made that didn't agree with classical mechanics. So a different model (actually several models) was proposed. it turns out to give predictions that agree with observations. There is no assumption that the universe *must* agree with the model. But the fact of the matter is that it does whenever we are able to test it.
<quoted text>
No, they don't *have* to conform. But they do. if you think that the interpretations are wrong, please suggest alternatives that allow precise predictions that are testable.
<quoted text>
Funny, that is pretty much what actually happened about 100 years ago when quantum theory was invented.
Did you come up with those probability numbers yet?

You are approaching and rationalizing from a particular school of thought. Your vision, and therefore conclusions, of the whole will be wrong. Quantum effect.

Man has been using materials for construction for eons without understanding the true nature of the material, and did very good jobs. Just made adjustments when needed. Your thought is in the same league.

“Dont kill innocent people just”

Since: Jul 12

"because they're inconvenient"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Because of a what theory?
The great thing about science is it always progresses as more observable evidence is presented. You gotta love that!
You know actual observable proof. Neat!
<quoted text>
Observable proof...

OF what happened a milisecond after the supposed big bang thingy happened?

LMAO!!

Observable proof...

That all life came from one life?

LMMFGDAOOOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
I know 100% for sure that no all powerful compassionate god exists.
I know this because we have evidence of avoidable suffering.
Therefore the christian god does not exist.
I am not however trying to claim that no god could possibly exist.
You're under the typical atheist assumption that suffering is caused by God and not humans.

At least you believe that God is real, that's a good start.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

TheBlackSheep wrote:
Doesn't say were they come from or why we have them, just notes the effects of emotions.
Same thing.... "here's how you can get happy"
"how psychologists think about emotions"
Not mainstream science, more like junk science.

Try again?

Prove that you can love.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-n-told-atheists-fa...

Poor atheists.

Topix atheists on here aren't just blasphemous. They express and incite religious hatred. They don't just disagree, they attack.

You can run afoul of laws in various ways.

Just saying.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Both the BB and the SS had red-shifts due to expansion of the universe. Those have been verified and are a requirement of any new thoery. The cosmic background radiation shows the condition of the universe at a particular time: it was very hot and dense and expanding. Any new thoery will have to take that into consideration. The observed abundances of the light elements show that the universe was once hot and dense enough for fusion reactions *and* that those reactions were cut off before completion by the expansion. Any new thoery will have to deal with that.
So, the essential aspects of the BB thoery are established: that the universe is expanding from a very hot, dense state. Furthermore, the details are incredibly well described by general relativity and statistical mechanics. Any new thoery will have to deal with that.
You seem to think that it is a bad thing that science is able to adapt to new information by coming up with new thoeries that fit both the old evidence and the newer evidence. To the contrary, it is one of the shining advances the human race made when we realized that a sequence of increasingly good approximations is better than a single bad worldview. Religion is still stuck in the philosophy and superstitions of 2000 years ago, while science has progressed because it can learn and change.
"stuck in philosophy and superstitions of 2000 years ago"?!

What the hell are you talking about?

Are you under the impression that scientists are not also religious people?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
In the beginning was the curd, and the curd was with Gouda, and the curd was Gouda.
Cheesus Christ, what am I saying?
1)Then mine eyes beheld a wheel of cheese, and yet another of another kind, both spinning, one within the first wheel, 2) and a loud voice coming down from the heavens spake, shaking the earth and said "Look unto the cheese, behold its unity, thus from this point on I give unto you, Colby Jack", and it was good. Psalms of Melt chap.2:1-2

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 150,541 - 150,560 of218,172
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••