Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255244 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#156707 Feb 26, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Splendid!
Well done PM
Did you factor in this odd situation?
Today’s scholars can only use the known, that is historical reigning Roman Emperors as a reference in determining dates.
So, since the Bible clearly and unambiguously claims that Jesus was born during the reign of Herod the King, then he, Jesus, had to have been born no later than 4 B.C.
Sweet irony!
Jesus could only have been born a minimum of 4 years before the birth of Jesus.
The Pope attested to that error recently. Was purely a math error on the part of a scribe when they made the new calendar if I remember right.

Damned math heads. They messed up religion. Then science.

Lamar, CO

#156708 Feb 26, 2013
Scar, have you ever trimmed Jerusalem thorn trees?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#156709 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't say were they come from or why we have them, just notes the effects of emotions.
<quoted text>
Same thing.... "here's how you can get happy"
<quoted text>
"how psychologists think about emotions"
<quoted text>
Not mainstream science, more like junk science.
Try again?
Prove that you can love.
You said:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Nobody can prove scientifically that emotions exist or why they exist or why we feel them.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet science is unable to explain them.
But they DO exist....
huh...
One time you are saying that emotions do not exist, then you claim that they Do{sic} exist.

Which is it?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#156710 Feb 26, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did you omit the planets greatest mass murderer?
What was his name? Do you recall? Sure you do!
Who could forget these truly amazing stats?
1- The entire population of the earth at the time of Noah, except for eight survivors.(Genesis 7:23)
2- Everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah.(Genesis 19:24,25)
3- Amalek and his people.(Exodus 17:8¬16)
4- 3,000 Israelites.(Exodus 32:27,28)
5- 14,700 Jews.(Numbers 16:44¬49)
6- The people of Og. "So they smote him, and his sons, and all his people, until there was none left him alive: and they possessed his land." (Numbers 21:33¬35)
7- 24,000 people.(Numbers 25:4¬9)
8- All Midianite males.(Numbers 31:6¬12)
9- The Ammonites.(Deuteronomy 2:19¬21)
10-The Horims.(Deuteronomy 2:22)
11-The Amorites. "…utterly destroyed the men and the women and the little ones." (Deuteronomy 2:33¬35)
12-The Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites. "... thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them;" (Deuteronomy 7:1¬5)
13- Everyone in Jericho but one family.(Joshua 6:20¬25)
14-12,000 people of Ai.(Joshua 8:19¬29)
15-All the people of Makkedah.(Joshua 10:28)
16-All the people of Libnah.(Joshua 10:29,30)
17-All the people of Gezer.(Joshua 10:33)
18-All the people of Eglon.(Joshua 10:34,35)
19-All the people of Hebron.(Joshua 10:36,37)
20-10,000 Perizzites and Canaanites.(Judges 1:4)
21-All the inhabitants of the land of Goshen "... neither left they any to breathe." (Joshua 11:12¬16)
22-The inhabitants of Hormah, Gaza, Askelon, Ekron.(Judges 1:17¬19)
23-10,000 Moabites.(Judges 3:29)
24-600 Philistines.(Judges 3:31)
25-All the hosts of Sisera.(Judges 4:16)
26-120,000 Midianites.(Judges 8:10)
27-1,000 Philistines.(Judges 15:15)
28-25,100 Benjaminites.(Judges 20:35)
29-50,070 people of Bethshemesh.(1 Samuel 6:19)
30-All the Amalekites. "Slay both man and woman, infant and suckling…." (1 Samuel 15:3¬7)
31-200 Philistine men, in order to obtain their foreskins as the price for buying a bride.(1 Samuel 18:27)
32-22,000 Syrians.(2 Samuel 8:5)
33-40,000+ Syrians.(2 Samuel 10:18)
34-The Ammonites of Rabbah, who were tortured to death by the great King David.(2 Samuel 12:29¬31)
35-70,000 people.(2 Samuel 24:15)
36-Every man in Edom.(1 Kings 11:15)
37-All the prophets of Baal.(1 Kings 18:40)
38-127,000 Syrians.(1 Kings 20:28¬30)
39-Moabite captains & "fifties." (2 Kings 1:9¬14)
40-42 children, eaten by bears.(2 Kings 2:23,24)
41-185,000 Assyrians killed in their sleep.(2 Kings 19:35)
42-500,000 men of Israel.(2 Chronicles 13:16¬20)
43-20,000 Edomites.(2 Chronicles 25:11,12)
44-120,000 Judeans in one day.(2 Chronicles 28:5,6)
45-75,500+ people.(Esther 9:12¬14)
If there is safety in numbers - tell that to 6 million jews.
If you're willing to blame God for these millions of deaths, you should be willing to thank God for the billions of lives....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156711 Feb 26, 2013
The_Box wrote:
Yes, they do. The claim is that people saw a guy (Jesus) walk on water, magically turn water into wine, and resurrect from the dead, among other miracles.
Jesus isn't "people". You said that some claimed that people could walk on water....

Jesus wasn't human, either. He is not limited to the laws of physics like humans are.
No. I base my stance on human knowledge.
You have no knowledge that Jesus did not walk on water.
There's no shortage of people with pics and video UFOs they claim to be spaceships.
On the other hand, we have zero physical evidence of Jesus' miracles.
With millions, maybe billions, of cameras around the world, one would think someone, somewhere would've captured an actual image of a UFO - if they exist.

In Jesus day, they had no cameras, no pens, no recording device, hell they didn't even really have paper. Jesus had no birth certificate, nobody did back then except royalty.

You have no physical evidence of Jesus' miracles because they happened in the past.
You just helped my argument. Why believe in Jesus' miracles, but not alien abductions when the abductees have superior testimonies and superior physical evidence (however crappy)?
Like you said, the reports of alien abductions are crappy.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156712 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Nobody can prove scientifically that emotions exist or why they exist or why we feel them.

RiversideRedneck wrote:

Yet science is unable to explain them.
But they DO exist....
huh...
TheBlackSheep wrote:
One time you are saying that emotions do not exist, then you claim that they Do{sic} exist.
Which is it?
Which of those two posts did I say that emotions don't exist???

I said they can't be scientifically proven or explained.

And I wrote "DO", not "Do".......

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#156713 Feb 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Destruction of the temple of Solomon by Neuchadnezzer was in 587 BC.
This means that Adam was formed 3459+587 = 4046 BC"
I thought one of th emain atheist arguments was there were no contemporary extra-Biblical accounts of the Old Testament? Where did you get that date?
Wow! You rest your entire argument on that!?!? LOL!
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#156714 Feb 26, 2013
Keep trying- you're just making youself look cuntish at present.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah. It's fun to make you atheists look so stupid.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#156715 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're willing to blame God for these millions of deaths, you should be willing to thank God for the billions of lives....
We don't blame any god or Santa; just trying to show you christians how screwed up your mythology is.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#156716 Feb 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The Pope attested to that error recently. Was purely a math error on the part of a scribe when they made the new calendar if I remember right.
Damned math heads. They messed up religion. Then science.
You said that catholics weren't christians; what does it matter what the pope says?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#156717 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus isn't "people".
Yes, he is. We're talking purely about the events in question, not your later added explanation.

The event in question, that people supposedly saw, was of a man walking on water and doing miraculous things.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You said that some claimed that people could walk on water....
Jesus wasn't human, either. He is not limited to the laws of physics like humans are.
You're trying to support a miraculous claim not with evidence, but with a second miraculous claim. That doesn't work.

If I say I can fly and you say "BS, people can't fly", then "well, I'm not a person, I'm a FlyingPerson" is not a rebuttal because FlyingPersons are not known to exist.

Since gods are not known to exist, you cannot explain away the absurdities of Jesus' miracles by appealing to godhood.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
With millions, maybe billions, of cameras around the world, one would think someone, somewhere would've captured an actual image of a UFO - if they exist.
Many people claim they have.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You have no physical evidence of Jesus' miracles because they happened in the past.
No disagreement here, but lack of physical evidence certainly doesn't support your position.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Like you said, the reports of alien abductions are crappy.
No, I said the physical evidence was crappy. None of the photos/video I've come across have been particularly good. The reports of abductions are superior to the reports of Jesus' miracles. Do you disagree? If so, why?

Lamar, CO

#156718 Feb 26, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
You said that catholics weren't christians; what does it matter what the pope says?
You are one confused little boy. You have never heard ME say that.

Lamar, CO

#156719 Feb 26, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! You rest your entire argument on that!?!? LOL!
Are you on drugs today, or just forgot to take them?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#156721 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. Allow me to rephrase.
Why do you think Christians think God decides moraltiy?
Primarily because Christians tell me this is what they believe. There is also the prevalent idea among Christians that atheists have no basis for morality.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#156722 Feb 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Scar, have you ever trimmed Jerusalem thorn trees?
No, I haven't. I just looked them up.

I lived in N Arizona for a while and there was tree/shrub similar to that, but not that one. I was @3500+ elevation and I'm thinking the temps during winter were too harsh for it to survive.

Lamar, CO

#156723 Feb 26, 2013
If the post office doesn't deliver you any mail, does it exist?

If the post office doesn't deliver you any mail, do you exist?

If the post office delivers mail, but it isn't picked up, do you exist?

Is there any evidence the post office really exists?

If the post office delivers mail postage due, would you pay it? Would you exist if you didn't?

If a stamp blew in under your door, would that be proof the post office exists?

God, those Topix atheists are such intellectual discussioners.

Lamar, CO

#156724 Feb 26, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I haven't. I just looked them up.
I lived in N Arizona for a while and there was tree/shrub similar to that, but not that one. I was @3500+ elevation and I'm thinking the temps during winter were too harsh for it to survive.
They are supposed to take some cold.

I was wondering because that is the wickedest tree to trim there is. Thorns in the dark bark you don't see that just don't stick you, they lacerate you. Gorgeous tree, but it loves blood. It is one you approach and handle with caution.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156725 Feb 26, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Keep trying- you're just making youself look cuntish at present.
Do I smell cuntish?

No, that's just my finger...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156726 Feb 26, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't blame any god or Santa; just trying to show you christians how screwed up your mythology is.
You can't. Not until you at least recognize there are two sides to the coin. All you atheists do is focus on negative, negative, negative... Without trying to understand why any scripture is written. You just cry out "GODDIDIT!"
CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#156727 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There isn't any god RR - but there are TopixBibleThumpers™ that think one or more exists.

I have never had an atheist knock on my door and want to come into my house to discuss my religious beliefs.

I have never been approached in public by an total stranger who happened to be an atheist asking me personal questions about my religious beliefs.

I have never had an atheist stand up in a meeting at a public event such as a at a school or government event and say "Let us not pray to an imaginary being".

I cannot count the number of times that I have had different religious groups canvassing my neighborhood looking for more recruits for their cults.

I cannot count the number of times that I have been at gas stations or department stores and have had random people come up to me and ask "Are you saved" or "Do you have Jesus in your heart".

I politely tell them that there is nothing to be saved from and that their Jesus is an unsubstantiated myth.

For some reason they always seem offended, even though they started the conversation.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min renee 31,073
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 21 min MIDutch 13,178
There are no such things as gods or fairies 2 hr Richardfs 21
Majority of Scots now have no religion 6 hr Thinking 5
News How God Messed Up My Happy Atheist Life 6 hr Thinking 20
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 7 hr Thinking 9,717
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 7 hr Thinking 13
More from around the web